Old 05-12-2019, 12:32 PM

Alyssa Milano calls for "sex strike"

In response to the Georgia abortion law (this thread is not about that law, but rather, about the sex strike in response) - actress Alyssa Milano called for a "sex strike" in response.

It quickly led to criticism, though - some people pointed out that this 'sex strike' implies that sex is something only enjoyed by men and not by women and promotes the notion that sex is something women 'give' unhappily and men 'take' happily. That, and also, that the majority of men who would be affected by such a 'sex strike' probably have little power to do anything about the Georgia abortion law anyway.

Last edited by Velocity; 05-12-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Edit: Also, I can only imagine that a sex strike would do immense damage to a marriage or relationship. Once a partner decides to bring politics into the bedroom ("I'm not having sex with you until Legislative Bill HB-481 is overturned") that sex life is surely ruined and any trust or intimacy destroyed.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Milano should watch out. After all, we men are in the fifth decade of our "withholding our feelings" strike and women show no signs of caving in to our demands.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:36 PM

a lot of married women have been on a sex strike for years with a few periods of non strikes.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Edit: Also, I can only imagine that a sex strike would do immense damage to a marriage or relationship. Once a partner decides to bring politics into the bedroom ("I'm not having sex with you until Legislative Bill HB-481 is overturned") that sex life is surely ruined and any trust or intimacy destroyed.
Is the converse also true? By supporting HB-481, hasn't one party brought the bedroom into politics?
Old 05-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

It's an old concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysistrata
Old 05-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Is the converse also true? By supporting HB-481, hasn't one party brought the bedroom into politics?
That's not quite the same - unless someone is denying their partner sex until/unless they support HB-481. You're talking macro vs. micro.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:49 PM

I'd say tweak it to "no penetrative sex" because there's no form of birth control that's 100% effective and who needs to take the risk?
Old 05-12-2019, 01:01 PM

I'm against the weaponization of vaginas.

Many years ago the very attractive wife of a Major League baseball player declared that if she ever found out her husband was cheating on her she would have sex with all of his teammates. Most people were bemused, but I found it rather disturbing.

The player's wife, like many other women, instinctively knew the anger and hurt she could inflict by using her sexuality in a way no man can. It triggers an animal like response in men. It's the type of behavior that is tolerated in western societies but nonetheless destructive.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZombie View Post
I'm against the politicization of uteruses, myself. I don't see a problem with any Georgia man who supports the new law being treated the way the law treats Georgia women, i.e. "since you weren't able to keep it in your pants, now you have to take responsibility."
Old 05-12-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Better make sure the government denies women full control of them, as anti-choice politicians are trying to do, right?
Old 05-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
That's not quite the same - unless someone is denying their partner sex until/unless they support HB-481. You're talking macro vs. micro.
You're using a different point of comparison than I am. My point is that the denial of sex because of HB-481 may be bringing politics into the bedroom, but the existence of HB-481 already has brought the bedroom into politics. Why is it seen as ok to bring the bedroom into politics in this way and expect that nothing in the bedroom would change as a result?

And then to try and cry "no fair" over that change?
Old 05-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Is she assuming that all women are pro-choice and all men are pro-life? In fact, both sexes are very nearly evenly split. Nationally, men are 47% pro-choice and 49% pro-life. Women are 48% pro-choice and 47% pro-life.

cite: https://news.gallup.com/poll/244709/...ic-tables.aspx
Old 05-12-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage View Post
Is she assuming that all women are pro-choice and all men are pro-life? In fact, both sexes are very nearly evenly split. Nationally, men are 47% pro-choice and 49% pro-life. Women are 48% pro-choice and 47% pro-life.

That was another criticism of Milano on Facebook - that very likely, the men who would be affected by such a sex strike would be liberal or feminist men who were opposed to the Georgia law anyway (since people tend to marry or date those of similar political views.)
Old 05-12-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage View Post

tl;dr: It's the poor, old/middle-aged, dumb in the Midwest and Bible Belt. Them again.

Mylano is an actress whose decline is far behind who saw an opportunity to raise her notoriety and social status within her social circle by tweeting this non-sense.

Last edited by MichaelEmouse; 05-12-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Many years ago the very attractive wife of a Major League baseball player declared that if she ever found out her husband was cheating on her she would have sex with all of his teammates. Most people were bemused, but I found it rather disturbing.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if they all refused her advances?
Old 05-12-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:

The player's wife, like many other women, instinctively knew the anger and hurt she could inflict by using her sexuality in a way no man can. .
I find it disturbing that she apparently assumed they'd all be willing to have sex with her.

And what do you mean, 'in a way no man can'? Why would a man not be capable of trying to take revenge on an unfaithful spouse by having sex with a number of other people? I'd be astonished if this hasn't happened.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Mylano is an actress whose decline is far behind who saw an opportunity to raise her notoriety and social status within her social circle by tweeting this non-sense.
Seriously? You're gonna go with the golddigger label?

ETA: I forgot to note the gratuitous misspelling of her name.. classy.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-12-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I find it disturbing that she apparently assumed they'd all be willing to have sex with her.

And what do you mean, 'in a way no man can'? Why would a man not be capable of trying to take revenge on an unfaithful spouse by having sex with a number of other people? I'd be astonished if this hasn't happened.
It's based on a fear of something LAZombie can't control. Imagine, women asserting boundaries and agency in a relationship; Will they stop at nothing to achieve equality?
Old 05-12-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:

There’s a few hundred Thelma Lou posts needing a tsktsking...

Seriously though, who takes their sex advice from some nutty Hollywood type? I mean, I suppose those in Hollywood are accustomed to the transactional nature of ‘relations’ but I hope that the rest of the nation aren’t quite that calculating when it comes to intimacy.

Last edited by octopus; 05-12-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Yay Lysistrata Gambit! (I read a translation of this play. Hilarious.)

Quote:
I don't think pro-life and pro-choice people should marry each other. Not a joke. My sister is pro-choice, her ex-husband is pro-life. They got married. She got pregnant while still in university. Uh oh. There's a reason he's an ex. (I think people planning to get married should ask each other a series of questions, and show each other their credit reports.)

Many conservative women are pro-life. I don't think the sex strike would work. Most women who would be willing to pull the Lysistrata Gambit don't live in Georgia, or the other states working on similar bills.

Last edited by Kimera757; 05-12-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:54 PM

Despite the personal sacrifice, I will abstain from having sex with Alyssa Milano, in Georgia or elsewhere, regardless.
Who’s the Boss of my sex life? Not Alyssa Milano!

Was it over when Alyssa Milano’s performance bombed in Pearl Harbor?
Who’s with me?
Old 05-12-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post

Well, the series that she is currently in is filmed in Georgia, so it isn't totally unconnected to her.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:

No, I wasn't suggesting that she would get richer by withholding sex, I was saying that taking part in this kind of call for extremely simplistic solutions to complex problems* will play well among her social circle which is likely to be mainly composed of people accurately described by this website: https://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

I apologize for misspelling her name. I'm not good with names, as my username may have already revealed.

*like building a wall for immigration
Old 05-12-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Seriously though, who takes their sex advice from some nutty Hollywood type?
I dunno, who takes their vaccination advice from same? At least in this case, it's for a sane cause.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Many years ago the very attractive wife of a Major League baseball player declared that if she ever found out her husband was cheating on her she would have sex with all of his teammates. Most people were bemused, but I found it rather disturbing...
Why were people confused? It seems pretty straightforward.

I'm sure Alyssa Milano knows that a 'sex strike' is extremely unlikely, but she's managed to draw a lot more attention to this loony-tunes law. Mission accomplished.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I was going to post "The Alyssistrata"
Old 05-12-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Why were people confused? It seems pretty straightforward.

I'm sure Alyssa Milano knows that a 'sex strike' is extremely unlikely, but she's managed to draw a lot more attention to this loony-tunes law. Mission accomplished.
Oh, insightful one. In which case, I was wrong about her and she deserves praise for knowing better than I how to use silly tendencies within the media to serve good.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Trump followers. Reagan followers.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:07 PM

Milano shouldn't say things that could make it seem like she is trying to control what women choose to do with their bodies. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:13 PM

She's certainly got the incels up in arms about something they won't have to worry about in the first place.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Milano
Until women have legal control over our own bodies we just cannot risk pregnancy
JOIN ME by not having sex until we get bodily autonomy back.
Apparently she thinks encouraging abstinence is effective at reducing pregnancy. I'm sure many of the supporters of the bill agree with her.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

I would think it is more like "Withholding myself from men is an action of body autonomy I can still legally do, which will express my displeasure at your trying to control me." Me, personally if I can not have control of my reproductive choices, then I would refuse to have sex as my only option for both birth control and body autonomy - any attempt to induce me to have sex is rape, and I would treat any man as a rapist, complete with fighting back and legal action.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I would think it is more like "Withholding myself from men is an action of body autonomy I can still legally do, which will express my displeasure at your trying to control me." Me, personally if I can not have control of my reproductive choices, then I would refuse to have sex as my only option for both birth control and body autonomy - any attempt to induce me to have sex is rape, and I would treat any man as a rapist, complete with fighting back and legal action.
To which America, as a nation, collectively rolls their eyes.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Milano shouldn't say things that could make it seem like she is trying to control what women choose to do with their bodies. Two wrongs don't make a right.
If Alyssa Milano was an elected official (like, say, the Governor of Georgia) and had any legal power to enforce her suggestions, then, yes, this would be a problem. But as long as she has no power to compel anyone else, then all she's doing is exercising free speech.

So now that we've absolved Alyssa Milano of doing anything wrong, do you plan on doing anything about the wrong being done Brian Kemp and the Georgia legislature?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:18 PM

Then all the pro choice women who follow this wont have to worry about abortion anyways because without sex, they wont get pregnant.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Then all the pro choice women who follow this wont have to worry about abortion anyways because without sex, they wont get pregnant.
Unless they get raped, of course. And naturally enough, they'll have to report it, get accused of faking it by MGTOW trolls etc. Good times.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
If Alyssa Milano was an elected official (like, say, the Governor of Georgia) and had any legal power to enforce her suggestions, then, yes, this would be a problem. But as long as she has no power to compel anyone else, then all she's doing is exercising free speech.
Exactly. Trying to control what other people do and trying to persuade other people to voluntarily join a particular type of activist endeavor are two different things.

And I don't think even the Governor of Georgia has any legal power to control women's choosing to abstain from sex. (Although I suppose members of the legislature could technically pass legal measures to decriminalize marital rape, which in practice would accomplish the same thing, at least to the extent that husbands would once again run no risk of legal penalties for forcing their wives to have sex against their will.)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:56 AM

Is that like a missle strike but with sex instead of missiles?
Old 05-13-2019, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Milano should watch out. After all, we men are in the fifth decade of our "withholding our feelings" strike and women show no signs of caving in to our demands.
Only the fifth decade?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:37 AM

https://www.domesticshelters.org/art...be-abusive-too

Food for thought
Old 05-13-2019, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In response to the Georgia abortion law (this thread is not about that law, but rather, about the sex strike in response) - actress Alyssa Milano called for a "sex strike" in response.

It quickly led to criticism, though - some people pointed out that this 'sex strike' implies that sex is something only enjoyed by men and not by women and promotes the notion that sex is something women 'give' unhappily and men 'take' happily.
Totally. The idea of women wielding the power of granting or denying sex should have been put to rest long ago.

Secondly, a woman who would feel motivated to "strike" is likely to live with someone who shares her values. So, this would result in "punishing" only people who are already opposed to these laws.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
Secondly, a woman who would feel motivated to "strike" is likely to live with someone who shares her values. So, this would result in "punishing" only people who are already opposed to these laws.
A few people have said variations of this, but I'd like to suggest:

1. We assume the pro-choice/pro-life divide is nearly even.
2. Most (but not all) people will tend to marry people of similar views.
3. So we can roughly assume that 40% of married couples are both pro-choice, 40% of married couples are both pro-life, 10% of married couples have the wife pro-life and the husband pro-choice and 10% of married couples have the wife pro-choice and the husband pro-life.

If Milano's suggestion is aimed primarily at the last group, could it not have a positive effect?

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 05-13-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:48 AM

The problem with a sex strike is that if this becomes a serious thing, Georgia will probably just legalize rape.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:12 AM

As amusing as Milano's suggestion is, I agree that it's not remotely practicable. She would do better to push for Insatiable to be filmed elsewhere if she wants to have a real impact.

Quote:
Who takes advice on women's health issues from elderly conservative men who have repeated demonstrated they understand nothing about women's health issues? Oh that's right - the Republican Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Is that like a missle strike but with sex instead of missiles?
Sex bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
The problem with a sex strike is that if this becomes a serious thing, Georgia will probably just legalize rape.
They don't have to make it legal. They just have to redefine it.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:

The player's wife, like many other women, instinctively knew the anger and hurt she could inflict by using her sexuality in a way no man can. It triggers an animal like response in men. It's the type of behavior that is tolerated in western societies but nonetheless destructive.
she said she would even sleep with the mascot, Mr. Met
Old 05-13-2019, 06:38 AM

If the strike were to happen, how long before there's a call for scabs?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I have a ton of respect for Alyssa Milano. She's not some flightly Hollywood type who just tweets opinions; she is a dedicated advocate who works hard for what she believes in and is in the right side of pretty much every issue. The fact Trumpists hate her is reason to admire her...

... but this is a remarkably stupid idea, and the ugly implications are too numerous to list.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post

If Milano's suggestion is aimed primarily at the last group, could it not have a positive effect?
No, because these people are unlikely to have any influence on which law passes.

Secondly, blackmail is bad in general. Blackmailing your SO is even worse.

And sex shouldn't be used as a tool to control people. Especially, again, your SO.

Last edited by clairobscur; 05-13-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I was going to post "The Alyssistrata"
[applause]