Old 08-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Tegan Nox apparently busted up her knee doing a dive at yesterday's MYC.

Poor thing. She just got off a different knee injury to participate.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

ROH has sold out Madison Square Garden.

This'll be their biggest show to date, even bigger than All In, in WWE's home venue, the night before WrestleMania. Shots fired.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:58 AM

So RoH/NJPW will be on the same night as NXT Takeover, which will be at Barclays, also in NYC. Manhattan vs Brooklyn.

It's also around the time the contracts for Cody, Kenny Omega and Young Bucks will be up for renewal. Could we see a surprise appearance by one or more of them at WM like we did the Hardys? This confluence of events can lead to some serious meta.

I'm thinking WWE doesn't really give a shit about Cody, since he'll lose his indie cred and be relegated back to JTTS status again. On the other hand, Omega and YBs would be nuclear hot.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 PM

Spent about 45 minutes working with Tom Phillips and his wife while at work today. They were both SUPER nice especially given the store was kinda chaos and it took me a while to help find anything for them.

Regardless, it was a cool little coincidence and I ended everything with a picture.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:57 PM

Dammit, stop with the dying.

RIP Jim Neidhart

I used to imitate Neidhart with the way he'd deliver a quick heel promo, pause, then "HAHAHA!"

Killer Bees!
You're going down!
<pause>
HAHAHA!
Old 08-15-2018, 08:38 AM

No buzz about Slummer Slam?

Paul Heyman succeeded in making the Reigns/Lesnar match more intriguing. Just the same, I wouldn't mind if it were the first match, just to get it over with.

The RAM tag and the CW title matches got demoted to the kickoff show. The CWs seem to have taken the place of the Divas position in that they're the first to get shaved when the card gets too bloated.

Hardy vs Nakamura would be decent if it weren't for Hardy working while injured, and Orton not too subtly waiting in the wings to take him out of the storyline.

I like that the Bludgeon Bros do the smash-mouth doubleteams, like the way they flipped that jobber face-first into the ring apron. ND doesn't need the titles to get over, but aside from the Usos, there's no more face teams.

Otherwise, I'm psyched for DB vs Miz, AJ vs Samoa, and Ziggy vs Rollins.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:13 AM

Summerslam seems like a perfectly fine PPV to me, but most of the matches are people fighting for the first time and I know that just means we'll see them 3 more times before we can maybe get an awesome blowoff match.

I also know that the show is going to be about 6 hours long, and that prospect is exhausting to me.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:00 AM

The 5-year old in me is worried that Johnny Wrestling is turning to the dark side.

The faux news report showing the whole roster as suspects in Aleister Black's injury was a good touch, though.

Remember when Hideo Itami went through a similar angle to storyline his injury? They made KO the prime suspect, then he got called up and the angle died a quiet death. At least this way, they can use whoever's left in NXT when Black returns.

LU had the human centipede: all 6 participants of the 6-man tag match Boston Crabbed each other with The Mack at the head, who then stepped over and made the centipede do a gradual flip. It was a thing of beauty.

LU also has an inventive way of writing out talent. They have them take on Matanza, get squashed, and then disappear as a sacrifice to the gods.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:45 PM

WooT! Jeff Cobb, who dwells inside Matanza, is in RoH! He ambushed a couple of "Top Prospects" and sacrificed them to the gods.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Excellent show, 2 title changes, near-perfect pacing. Tomorrow I will probably feel like the show is running too long with too much time between matches. Vince, give the reigns to HHH.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Excellent show, 2 title changes, near-perfect pacing. Tomorrow I will probably feel like the show is running too long with too much time between matches. Vince, give the reigns to HHH.
They've got ten matches scheduled for the main card and three for the pre-show, so it's gonna be a long afternoon.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

SummerSlam gets The Demon. I approve.

ETA: And it's a squash

Last edited by D_Odds; 08-19-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
SummerSlam gets The Demon. I approve.

ETA: And it's a squash
As well it should be.

The Demon forced him to shave his godawful beard down. Long live the demon.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Pretty decent show, but the tease with Braun Strowman was a pretty lousy stunt to try to stop people from walking out during the main event.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 AM

After Takeover, I just couldn't get into SS, probably because of the shift from Mad Max Thunderdome to Family Friendliness. I turned it off about halfway. I'll watch the rest later and see if my mood is more receptive.

Wonder if there's going to be a roster shift this week? The Hardys are effectively written off, a few storylines have ended, and some stars like Asuka haven't been around for a few weeks.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Turned it off after Strowman predictably squashed KO. I'll watch the rest later. I think I'm in the minority, but Becky Lynch for me was the 3rd most interesting person in the Women's Smackdown Title triple threat. But I know she's a big fan favorite.

With baseball season cruising toward the playoffs and football starting, I think I'm going to cancel my WWE Network subscription. At least temporarily. Between the last PPV and SS, I don't think we watched anything on the Network.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Turned it off after Strowman predictably squashed KO. I'll watch the rest later. I think I'm in the minority, but Becky Lynch for me was the 3rd most interesting person in the Women's Smackdown Title triple threat. But I know she's a big fan favorite.

With baseball season cruising toward the playoffs and football starting, I think I'm going to cancel my WWE Network subscription. At least temporarily. Between the last PPV and SS, I don't think we watched anything on the Network.
The stuff on the network that aren't live events are the best part of the network lol.

Good show last night if I'm being honest. It wasn't a blockbuster or "BeSt SHowZ Evarzzzzz" or anything, but it kept me entertained until bedtime. Not breaking any news when I saw the problem is there are just too many damn matches. I understand the importance of a midcard, but soooo many of these matches happen and I just don't care.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
The stuff on the network that aren't live events are the best part of the network lol.
I totally agree. I watch a lot of old Nitros and WCW PPVs, too. And some of their original productions are pretty good.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:38 PM

Looks like Rousey is starting out as a female Brock Lesnar. I wonder if she's willing to do a heel turn.

I'll give the main event slight credit for not being so lame as I expected.

DB and Miz was way too long.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:26 AM

Sometimes, the RAM after a PPV rocks. They unified SHIELD to take out Braun at the end of the show, and the new stronger Dean Ambrose isn't as much of a wuss as he was before. SHIELD worked so well before, and WWE is on the right track here. I don't know if this is officially a heel turn, but at least they'll be tweeners and not have to play the distraught babyface roles again. They're much better as anti-faces. Reuniting them with RR was a good move. Now it's more like SHIELD is getting pushed instead of just Roman Reigns, and what worked before can work again. Keep Roman in a faction and it won't look like he's the only one getting Vince's love.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Sometimes, the RAM after a PPV rocks. They unified SHIELD to take out Braun at the end of the show, and the new stronger Dean Ambrose isn't as much of a wuss as he was before. SHIELD worked so well before, and WWE is on the right track here. I don't know if this is officially a heel turn, but at least they'll be tweeners and not have to play the distraught babyface roles again. They're much better as anti-faces. Reuniting them with RR was a good move. Now it's more like SHIELD is getting pushed instead of just Roman Reigns, and what worked before can work again. Keep Roman in a faction and it won't look like he's the only one getting Vince's love.
What they need is a great threesome (giggity) to rival against. Remember how much we wanted them to go against The Wyatt Family? And how hard we marked out when they did?

The story needs to be Strowman finding tag-teams to match up with and play a game of chess with The Shield and his briefcase. Ending with him finally picking AOP.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:09 AM

STC, your idea makes too much sense. They'll probably have Nicholas come back to stand in the corner while Braun takes on all 3 Shieldsters.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
The story needs to be Strowman finding tag-teams to match up with and play a game of chess with The Shield and his briefcase. Ending with him finally picking AOP.
More likely would be Drew and Dolph with Strohman. That would really mess with the heel/face dynamic.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:26 PM

Strohman and Finn. The classic Mutt and Jeff tag team.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:22 AM

Man alive, The New Day, especially Kofi and Woods, can really do a good back bump!

That main event was awesome and entertaining as hell. I'm all for another title run with them, although I have to ask...who's thier next opponent?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

It would be nice to elevate The Good Brothers rather than another run against The Bar. Maybe even start elevating Sanity. While their matches against The Usos were great, it still needs more time before picking back up.

ETA: Shame about Rowan. Get well soon, Erick.

Last edited by D_Odds; 08-22-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:35 PM

Here's a great article put up a few days ago about Randy Savage.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:16 AM

I think one thing is what makes LU so captivating is that they firmly established a culture of Mexican and LA myth where ghosts, aliens, monsters and wizards exist. Whenever WWE dabbles in such weirdness, it usually looks cartoonish, hokey and pointless. LU however is totally committed to the myth, and whenever they do a gimmick match, it's totally engrossed in religious dogma. Matt Stryker will talk about the ring action and kayfabe backgrounds of the stars, while Vampiro acts as the liaison between the supernatural and the mundane.

So, when WWE does a Haunted House, we get Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton, and the announcers attempt to upsell how the dangers of a toppled refrigerator. LU has Mack vs Mil Muertes with knives, bloodshed, and MM's evil valet taking out the beloved ring announcer and giving her the lick of death, all during Family Hour. In addition, the participants just seem to work harder and show more intensity. I think the setting has a lot to do with their motivations.

Same goes for Impact. They've got Pentagon and Cage on their roster, but they don't have the larger-than-life personas they have in LU. Cage looks fucking scary with his massive musculature and ability to take blows to the head with glass bottles and cement blocks. He also had his head spiked from his previous encounter with Jeremiah Crane/Sami Callahan. Maybe those props are gimmicked, but they draw blood. He almost tore Pent's mask off. Not just slipped it off a bit. He tore the fucking leather with his bare hands. That was the worst beating I've seen Pent take. I don't know how they worked in the sound effect of Pent breaking Cage's arms at the end, but of course LU is all about the extreme shit.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I think one thing is what makes LU so captivating is that they firmly established a culture of Mexican and LA myth where ghosts, aliens, monsters and wizards exist. Whenever WWE dabbles in such weirdness, it usually looks cartoonish, hokey and pointless. LU however is totally committed to the myth, and whenever they do a gimmick match, it's totally engrossed in religious dogma. Matt Stryker will talk about the ring action and kayfabe backgrounds of the stars, while Vampiro acts as the liaison between the supernatural and the mundane.

So, when WWE does a Haunted House, we get Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton, and the announcers attempt to upsell how the dangers of a toppled refrigerator. LU has Mack vs Mil Muertes with knives, bloodshed, and MM's evil valet taking out the beloved ring announcer and giving her the lick of death, all during Family Hour. In addition, the participants just seem to work harder and show more intensity. I think the setting has a lot to do with their motivations.

Same goes for Impact. They've got Pentagon and Cage on their roster, but they don't have the larger-than-life personas they have in LU. Cage looks fucking scary with his massive musculature and ability to take blows to the head with glass bottles and cement blocks. He also had his head spiked from his previous encounter with Jeremiah Crane/Sami Callahan. Maybe those props are gimmicked, but they draw blood. He almost tore Pent's mask off. Not just slipped it off a bit. He tore the fucking leather with his bare hands. That was the worst beating I've seen Pent take. I don't know how they worked in the sound effect of Pent breaking Cage's arms at the end, but of course LU is all about the extreme shit.
Yeah, but you're comparing a tv show that's ultimately aimed at kids, and a show that is aimed at adults. LU is going to have a more realistic view of blood and murder and hardcore stuff because it's made for the smarks who grew up with ECW and the attitude era. It's a more mature product.

WWE plays up its supernatural stuff (which they do WAY less of now) more for laughs and to be more childlike because their demographic is 8-10 year olds.

Neither is necessarily better than the other. You didn't do this, but it grinds my gears whenever smarks say how much better the indies are and how WWE sucks (yet they still watch?) when they're just two branches off the same tree.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:15 PM

It's also a matter of LU being a TV show first, while WWE/TNA/most everything else is still just fundamentally a live event that happens to be broadcast on TV.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:25 AM

Don't get me wrong. I still watch too much WWE. I prefer going to Indie & NXT live events over the massive WWE shows, much like the way I sometimes prefer to get a burrito from some hole-in-the-wall place with second hand furniture and chalk-written menus instead of the super fabulous restaurant chain.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

So, just as a reminder, ALL IN is this Saturday. It airs at 7 PM Eastern/4 PM Pacific on PPV, with the pre-show airing on WGN an hour earlier.

As of now, the card is as follows;

* NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Nick Aldis (c) vs. Cody Rhodes
* ROH World Championship: Jay Lethal (c) vs. the winner of the Over Budget Battle Royale
* Kenny Omega vs. Pentagon Jr.
* Rey Mysterio Jr., Fenix, & Bandido vs. the Golden Elite (the Young Bucks & Kota Ibushi)
* Kazuchika Okada vs. Marty Scurll
* Hangman Page vs. Joey Janella
* Christopher Daniels vs. Stephen Amell
* Madison Rayne vs. Tessa Blanchard vs. Britt Baker vs. Chelsea Green
* Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. SoCal Uncensored (Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky)
* The Over Budget Battle Royale; Jordynne Grace, Moose, Rocky Romero, Colt Cabana, Ethan Page, Brian Cage, Billy Gunn, Jimmy Jacobs, Marko Stunt, Brandon Cutler, Punishment Martinez +4 TBA

The battle royal and Briscoes vs. SCU will be airing on the pre-show, with the remainder on PPV.

I asked for the day off work so I could watch it live, because it's gonna be a hell of a show and the first time in my life I've ever seen an NWA world title match as it happened.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
More likely would be Drew and Dolph with Strohman. That would really mess with the heel/face dynamic.
I strained my shoulder posting myself on the back.

Also, got tickets for Bound for Glory. Sadly, they had sold out the first 3 rows with VIP packages. Good for them, bad for me.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I strained my shoulder posting myself on the back.

Also, got tickets for Bound for Glory. Sadly, they had sold out the first 3 rows with VIP packages. Good for them, bad for me.
Comments like this make me so sad. If Impact can sell out of tickets at other venues, it pretty much kills the chances they are coming back here and letting me see their shows for free.

So mad I didn't make it to the last show here. I missed out on Penta and Fenix. Grrrrr
Old 08-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Don't be sad. The venue holds ~400. It would be sadder if it didn't sell out in NYC.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:37 AM

Wasn't NWA bought out by Turner/WCW back in the day? I understand Billy Corrigan currently owns this fed. Was the NWA brand considered vacant and obtainable because for some reason WCW didn't want to keep it in their storage closet?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:05 AM

Anyone see this? http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone...g-chokeslammed

Apparently "superfan" Izzy took a bump in a match....

I would think this would be the kind of thing that some state commission would get involved in....
Old 08-29-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Wasn't NWA bought out by Turner/WCW back in the day? I understand Billy Corrigan currently owns this fed. Was the NWA brand considered vacant and obtainable because for some reason WCW didn't want to keep it in their storage closet?
"The version I remember was," Turner bought out Jim Crockett Promotions, which, while it was probably the largest member of the NWA at the time, wasn't the "entire" NWA. WCW left the NWA at some point in the early 1990s, and just changed all of its NWA titles to WCW titles. For example, David Arquette was never "NWA World Heavyweight Champion," and I don't think Ron Simmons was, either, when he held the WCW belt.

There was also the tournament to determine the new NWA World Champion; IIRC, Eastern Championship Wrestling's Shane Douglas beat 2-Cold Scorpio in the final, only to throw the belt down and declare that ECW was leaving the NWA and calling itself Extreme Championship Wrestling.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Short version; the NWA never went away, it just got smaller.

The NWA wasn't a single promotion in its heyday - it was, as the name betrays, an alliance of around 15-20 territorial promotions spread across the US (and also Mexico and Japan) that recognized a single world champion.

As noted above, when Turner bought out Crockett and created WCW, it was the largest of the NWA territories, and it controlled the world title and several other championships, but there were still other territories that hadn't yet been killed or bought out by Vince McMahon. WCW wound up leaving the NWA as a side-effect of Ric Flair's jumping ship for WWF while he was the reigning NWA champion. The title subsequently bounced around a few places for the following decade, with Dan Severn (of all people) holding it for 4 years at one point.

When TNA started, it affiliated itself with the NWA, and the NWA title was defended there for a few years. After that, it was controlled by ROH, then Championship Wrestling From Hollywood, then it was in Japan for awhile, and in recent years in various deep south promotions before Corgan bought the rights. Nick Aldis (formerly Magnus) is the current champion, having won it at a CZW show.

I'm pretty sure Cody is gonna win the belt at All In, as it'll make a great moment for him to capture the same title his dad held 40 years ago.

Last edited by Smapti; 08-30-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:30 AM

LU had the perfect Red Wedding in Green.

Johnny Mundo had his World Wiyeeed Underground cohorts with him backstage, and Mundo's old tag team partner from WWE, Joey Mercury, will be his best man! Only he cannot use that name, so they borrowed Johnny Gargano's nickname and deemed him Joey Wrestling. I guess LU had to sign some consent form with WWE to use him. Who knows how much legal rambling they had to execute for 5 minutes of air time? Anyhoo, that dashed Ricky Mundo's hopes of being best man, and the WWU made it clear Ricky and his creepy doll would stay as lowly ring bearer and NOT be considered "party of the groom."

Last week, Ricky killed WWU's old shady lawyer when he tried to get backstage to talk to Mundo. That's the thing with LU. They know how to kill off lingering storylines.

So, Ricky and creepy doll had a little discussion, and she piped "You know what you have to do!" I think creepy doll's voice is Famous B's valet The Beautiful Brenda aka Holly Meowy. Ricky found a pair of bolt cutters and proceeded to the temple basement. He approached Matanza's cell and cut off the chain that was secured to the cell door. Ricky then ran away, and Matanza Cobb let out a King Kong roar.

Famous B, still in the wheelchair, acts as minister to the wedding. Taya's bridal party includes Holly Meowy and a burly chick whose name I didn't catch, which doesn't matter because [spolier alert] she's a casualty. Famous B asks for the two lovebirds to exchange vows. Taya gushes, says how cool Johnny is, while Johnny responds she's the most beautiful thing he's ever seen, because looking at her is like looking at a reflection of himself.

Famous B asks if anyone object sto the wedding, speak now or forever hold your peace ... no, it wasn't Matanza who crashed the party, but rather Antonio Cueto, with the dead eye and corpse hair. Meowy squeaks "Aw, it's Grandpa!" Cueto announces he has a gift for the lovely couple, and caterers bring out tables topped with ... tacos. Is that racist? I get the feeling it's racist, but in an ironic sense.

It's time for the rings, which Ricky presents, and is then told to go away. Famous B finally gets to the last line: "I now declare you man and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?" Now Matanza crashes the party. He fights off WWU, then brutally headbutts Taya, resulting in her face being covered in The Crimson Mask. Mat then chokeslams the aforementioned burly bridesmaid through the taco table. Taya comes back, mad as hell, and slaps Matanza. This gets her pulverized. Ricky Mundo is seen in the audience laughing. Finally, Mat sees Famous B in his wheelchair and bodyslams him, wheels included. Then he chokeslams Mrs. Mundo into the wedding cake.

The audience chants This Is Awesome!
Old 08-30-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lips_Obsession View Post
Anyone see this? http://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone...g-chokeslammed

Apparently "superfan" Izzy took a bump in a match....

I would think this would be the kind of thing that some state commission would get involved in....
Izzy has been training at a school down here for the better part of a year now. She's competed in multiple matches in no-name promotions around Florida and I believe won a title the other day.

I'm apart of a mostly-local Facebook group and she is a HUGE hot-button issue in the group. Some people hate her, some people love her...just mentioning her name is the equivalent of a "triggered" meme.

Someone in said Facebook group trains at the school Izzy goes to and says she's a super hard worker, doesn't get any handouts and is treated like the rest of classmates and is actually quite good.

I don't have much of an opinion on the matter, it'll be interesting to see where she is in the next 10 years or so.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:04 PM

I would love to see Izzy become a spoiled entitled brat heel. She'd get more heat than RR.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:47 PM

The burly bridesmaid was announced as Cheerleader Melissa. Which is amusing, because while that's the name she's known as in the indys, in LU she's Mariposa.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:59 AM

Oh dang! I forgot they recycle mask wearers. I think Ricky Mundo used to be one of the Disciples of Death.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Flip Gordon just won the Over Budget Battle Royal and is getting the ROH title shot against Jay Lethal later on.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Cody Rhodes is now the NWA World Heavyweight Champion.

Hell of a match.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

My All In recap/review;

* The pre-show started with Cody and the Young Bucks putting the audience over, firing T-shirts into the crowd, and introducing Road Warrior Animal for a brief cameo. The audio/video quality on WGN wasn't very good. The stage was pretty small and the entrance ramp was elevated above the crowd. The main commentary team consisted of Don Callis, Ian Riccaboni, and Excalibur (one of the promoters of PWG, who wore a mask for the entire show.)

* The Briscoes beat SoCal Uncensored in a decent opening match.

* Pro Wrestling Tees, which was sponsoring the pre-show, ran some pretty funny commercials featuring Joey Ryan and Cody's dog Pharaoh, a Siberian husky.

* Dalton Castle was on guest commentary for the Over Budget Battle Royale, which Flip Gordon won by eliminating Bubba Ray Dudley. Flip had been in a masked luchador costume and was out of the ring for most of the match, getting a surprise win after Bubba thought he'd won by eliminating Tommy Dreamer. Hurricane Helms made a surprise appearance in the match. Billy Gunn and his son Austin, who looks almost like him, did surprisingly well.

* A young African-American woman whose name I don't recall sang the national anthem to open the show proper. Justin Roberts, formerly lead announcer on Raw, was on ring announcer duty. Once it was on PPV, the A/V quality was a lot better, WWE-level at least.

* Matt Cross (Son of Havoc) beat MJF in an unannounced opening match. Nothing special, but pretty good nonetheless.

* Christopher Daniels beat Stephen Amell, who's definitely become a much better wrestler since his appearance at Summerslam 2015. Jerry Lynn was the guest referee for this match. At one point, he pulled both men into the ring after a table spot in order to prevent a double countout, then peeled off his referee shirt and got into a brief brawl with Daniels.

* Tessa Blanchard won a fatal four-way against Madison Rayne, Chelsea Green, and Britt Baker (who you may recall as Daniel Bryan's physical therapist/mistress from an ill-conceived 2014 storyline) by pinning Green off a DDT. Tenille Dashwood (Emma) and Mandy Leon were on guest commentary. The finish was a bit out of nowhere, but the match was fun.

* Cody Rhodes beat Nick Aldis for the NWA championship. Timmy Baltimore, who Riccaboni said had called Cody's first ever pro match, was on guest commentary. Earl Hebner was the guest referee, and made it a no countout/no DQ match just before the bell rang. Cody was accompanied to the ring by Brandi (who was wearing a very revealing outfit consisting of little more than a bra and panties made out of silver glitter), Pharaoh, Diamond Dallas Page, Tommy Dreamer, and GLACIER (of all people), while Aldis was accompanied by Jeff Jarrett and Shawn Daivari. At one point, Cody was apparently knocked out after getting thrown into the announce table and Hebner threw up the X. DDP and Daivari brawled while this was going on until Cody recovered. Cody bladed at some point in the match and had a crimson mask, and there was blood all over the mat. There was some pretty good drama mid-match with Cody putting Aldis in a figure-four, and Aldis subsequently escaping and putting Cody in a sharpshooter. At one point, Brandi got involved in the match, and covered Cody when Aldis went for an elbow drop, taking the blow for him. Cody eventually comboed a Disaster Kick into a Crossrhodes, and shortly after countered a sunset flip to make the pin.

* Hangman Page defeated Joey Janela in a street fight. The match was preceded by a vignette from Being the Elite where Page had attempted to prove that Joey Ryan's penis is fake, only to discover during a match that it was very real, and his subsequently breaking into Ryan's hotel room at night and beating him to death with the telephone. (Commentary played this completely straight, I should mention.) Janela's girlfriend, Penelope Ford, got involved in the match at one point, taking a superkick from Page. Page got the win with a piledriver off the top of a ladder and through a table, which is one of the most impressive and most terrifying spots I've ever seen. After the match, the lights dimmed, a Celtic chant started, and about half a dozen men in penis costumes marched to the ring with the newly resurrected Joey Ryan, a la Undertaker in 1994. Ryan would then KO the stunned and terrified Page with a Youporn-Plex and stuck his crotch-lollipop in his mouth. This was the big comedy segment of the show and it was pretty hilarious.

* It was somewhere around this point that #AllIn became the top worldwide-trending hashtag on Twitter, which the commentators mentioned often enough that I began to suspect someone had let Michael Cole into the production truck.

* Jay Lethal pinned Flip Gordon to retain the ROH world title. Flip was accompanied by Brandi Rhodes, who had switched to a WWII-esque Army pinup girl look. Lethal was accompanied by "The Genius" Leapin' Lanny Poffo and entered the ring to "Pomp and Circumstance" wearing Macho Man Randy Savage's ring gear, including a jacket that Riccaboni said Savage had worn in his WCW debut. Flip Gordon "Hulked up" at one point and did Hulk Hogan's signature Five Moves of Doom - finger-wag, three chops to the chest, Irish whip, big boot, and leg drop. Lethal won with a Lethal Injection. After the match, Bubba Ray stormed out and attack both men and Lanny Poffo. Colt Cabana ran out to make the save, and he, Flip, and Lethal triple-powerbombed Bubba Ray through a table.

* Kenny Omega beat Pentagon Jr. with a One-Winged Angel after surviving multiple finishers. After the match, the lights went out for a few seconds, and when they came up Pentagon Jr. had been replaced by someone else wearing his costume and makeup, who started attacking Kenny. After hitting Kenny with a Codebreaker, the imposter unmasked to reveal that he was in fact Chris Jericho (!), who then seemingly challenged Kenny to a title-for-title match on Jericho's upcoming cruise-ship-wrestling-tour (because this is 2018 and that's a thing) before leaving the ring and attacking Don Callis on his way out of the arena.

* Kazuchika Okada beat Marty Scurll with two Rainmaker clotheslines. Tiger Hattori was guest referee for this match, and took a bump at one point, during which Scurll used the opportunity to beat up Okada with his umbrella. Okada's hair is now dyed bright red, a sharp contrast to the blonde coloring he had as IWGP heavyweight champion.

* In the main event trios match, the Golden Elite defeated the team of Rey Mysterio Jr., Fenix, and Bandido, with Matt Jackson getting the pin on Bandido off a Meltzer driver. (Logically, Cody/Aldis ought to have been the main event, but I guess Cody must've thought it'd seem egotistical to put himself over in a main event world championship match.) Rey came out in a Wolverine costume and the crowd went crazy and got on their feet when he got tagged into the match, hitting a 619 on Ibushi at one point. There was a pretty impressive spot where Nick Jackson got a running start down the ramp and elbow-dropped all three of his opponents on top of a pile of Okada bucks (which were still strewn everywhere after the previous match), and Bandido at one point countered an attempted triple-powerbomb with a triple-hurricanrana. The show went off the air less than ten seconds after the pinfall, which I don't think was planned.

Overall? FIVE STARS. Every single match was exciting and interesting. There wasn't a single dud or disappointing finish, every single match ended clean and told a story from beginning to end. Cody winning the same title his dad won 40 years ago was definitely the "WrestleMania moment" of the night. It's the highest-profile NWA title match there's been in decades, and it's definitely a major stepping stone in Billy Corgan's attempt to resurrect the brand. The production style was very similar to a New Japan show, with little downtime between matches and minimalist promos, interviews, and backstage segments. There were very few technical glitches, notwithstanding a 5-second video blackout midway through the show and some difficulties getting the audio levels right during the pre-show.

I really hope this becomes an annual event at the very least. Potentially, this could even be the beginning of a new boom period for the NWA, with multiple small-time promotions airing shows that feature the best non-WWE talent the world of wrestling has to offer. The show is available for replay on NJPWWorld and Honor Club (ROH's streaming service), and I encourage you to watch it if you're subscribed to either of those.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:57 AM

Jericho actually managed to work in his spot between Fozzy shows. He flew in from Little Rock to Chicago, hid in the Jacksons' dressing room, then flew to Kansas after the show. He said he was keeping his Pentagon makeup on.

It's cool that so many Legends made guest appearances. Cody seems to have inherited the mantle of Dusty's booking talents.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
After the match, Bubba Ray stormed out and attack both men and Lanny Poffo. Colt Cabana ran out to make the save, and he, Flip, and Lethal triple-powerbombed Bubba Ray through a table.
Am I the only one who listens to Busted Open on SiriusXM? He goes by Bully Ray (his heel TNA name) now.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the All-In recap! I didn't watch it or follow along in any form or fashion so it's great to hear what went on.

I'm a bit jaded about the show only because it's basically just Indy-Wrestlemania and it's not like this is a sustainable thing. Glad it worked out for everyone involved, but I'm not looking forward to 6 months of "See, why can't WWE do this, they suck!"

It's apples to oranges peeps.