Old 01-20-2019, 11:20 PM

I think such a rule would be a bad idea. It needs to be fluid enough to make the response dependent on the offense.

...and frankly, having a different rule for long time members is asking for trouble.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:08 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
And after the spanking, the oral sex.
You are in great peril.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:23 AM

Let's not go there, 'tis a silly place.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
No, it is not about revenge or hurting anyone, it is about measures that actually have effect. If someone is having a bad week it shouldn't become a suicide by mod. If someone is trolling the mods on where to dance on the line you could just stop the non-debate. More drastic, less permanent.
I agree with this. If someone tries to commit suicide by mod, then don't let them jump, pull them off the ledge.

As an aside: has a ban ever been reversed? Can it be? Let's say that I have a week where my wife leaves me, someone kicked my dog, and my house burned down. I get on here and overreact to a post and call a mod a short dicked little monkey fuck of a weasel and get banned. In six months, can I say I'm sorry and get my privileges restored? Sort of like a pardon?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
A profile warning is anything not associated with a visible post.
For transparency, at the same time he was insulting mods in ATMB, he also sent me a hostile, vulgar, and belligerent PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I agree with this. If someone tries to commit suicide by mod, then don't let them jump, pull them off the ledge.

As an aside: has a ban ever been reversed? Can it be? Let's say that I have a week where my wife leaves me, someone kicked my dog, and my house burned down. I get on here and overreact to a post and call a mod a short dicked little monkey fuck of a weasel and get banned. In six months, can I say I'm sorry and get my privileges restored? Sort of like a pardon?
I believe it has been tried in the past, but I don't recall if it has ever worked.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Extrajudicial

I'm not opposed to revisiting decisions of the past. The bar would be high. We don't have a formal process for it but we have had emails and discussions previously.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes it has happened. People have applied for reinstatement and have been readmitted. In two cases I am aware of, they were banned later. Still in one of those cases, the poster got to post some decent material in the meanwhile. In a third case the reinstated poster didn't have much later activity.

Official board policy c. Jan 2003:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Winkelried
If Satan wants to get reinstated, he should e-mail an administrator and present his case for reinstatement.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...6&postcount=56
kirkland1244 and Collounsbury were banned, reinstated, and banned. Satan had his application denied. Krispy was banned and reinstated successfully as of 2003, though he rarely posts, according to this 2003 post by Gaudere: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...&postcount=209 (A poster named Krispy has posted a total of one time, so that's not who Gaudere was referring to. The other 2 Krispy name variants haven't posted over the past 10 years.)

The Kirk case:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...&postcount=209

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 01-21-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I miss Satan. Well, that's not quite correct. What I miss is typing sentences like, "I agree with Satan", or "Satan makes some good points, but he needs to dial it back." Back in the day GD was like an extended riff on Sympathy for the Devil.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Satan was banned way back in 2001. That's a lot of water under the bridge since then.

I see him on Facebook occasionally. Man, that's something I never thought I'd say. But that was a long time ago and we've all calmed down/slowed down since those early days.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 PM

When I first read that, I thought that meant that ANY poster, not matter how evil, may apply to be reinstated. I did not realize that there was an actual poster named Satan.

I guess a poster named Satan engaged in bad behavior. Huh...Who woulda thunk it?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I first read that, I thought that meant that ANY poster, not matter how evil, may apply to be reinstated. I did not realize that there was an actual poster named Satan.

I guess a poster named Satan engaged in bad behavior. Huh...Who woulda thunk it?
While Satan did engage in bad behavior, his banning was controversial as much of his material was pretty good and the moderation process was still being figured out. For example, at the time discussion about proper moderator behavior was thought to be best conducted in the pit. LOL. Good times. Well for the membership anyway, less so for the mods. Satan was an atheist back in the pre-Dennett days when it was still edgy, and atheists felt inclined to be respectful of other belief systems. This was also prior to the Der Trihs era (which began when he joined and ended when he was banned from GD).

I didn't know Satan that well and questioned his banning for years before his behavior was described to me in greater detail. Anyway, he wasn't your garden variety troll, but rather one of the early long time posters who were banned before suspensions were invented.

Anyway it's all water under the bridge: parties have moved on. Banning is much more streamlined now, sort of like a high tech police state or maybe an industrial scale recycling center.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
I disagree. Push away, I say.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
For example, at the time discussion about proper moderator behavior was thought to be best conducted in the pit. LOL. Good times.
Yes, they were.
Quote:
Well for the membership anyway, less so for the mods.
They gave as good as they got...
Old 01-22-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
This was also prior to the Der Trihs era (which began when he joined and ended when he was banned from GD).
I wasn't banned from GD, I simply stopped posting there.