Old 05-26-2019, 04:50 PM

What is the closest you've sat to the bench? (any sport)

In the late 1970s I stood in line when Red Wings home tickets went on sale for the season. I wanted a specific game (Boston Bruins) so I was likely the first person in line requesting that game.

This was at the old Olympia. My seat was practically on the Bruins' bench, next to the back-up goalie. I had to watch my right knee when the players came off the ice via the door. There was no glass in front of me, I half-expected to take a stick to the mouth.

The Bruins coach tossed me a puck with a Bruins logo on it (still have it). The coach was Fred Creighton. A year earlier and it would have been Don Cherry.

Anyway, that is mine. Whatta ya got?

mmm
Old 05-26-2019, 06:21 PM

I've rested my feet on the dugout at several games over the years. There isn't the same feeling of closeness as you're describing. When I did it last season after they expanded the nets the fan experience is much worse.since they can't toss balls into the crowd any more and I probably won't sit there again.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:06 AM

I sat right behind the bench as a kid watching a Seahawks pre-season game. It was the 80s and we were on the visitor side. They were playing the Oilers and we were right behind Houston’s team. A couple girls near us kept flirting with Warren Moon (who chatted back, a lot).
Old 05-28-2019, 04:26 AM

Not on it.

My 9th grade class group only had 6 girls and one couldn't play futbito (5 to a side soccer) for medical reasons, so in order to be able to field a team this needed to include me. Our team was so small it couldn't even have someone on the bench.

For grown-up sports, I've been on the bench during training sessions of a regional-level basketball team a friend played in. They don't get a salary but equipment including uniforms, shoes, etc. is paid by the club.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:42 AM

10-15 rows behind home plate at Busch Stadium II in the late 80s. Right behind several player's wives. At one point during warmups Rex Hudler was talking to a coach at the backstop while getting ready for batting practice. So I yelled "hey Rex!", he turned to look at me and it was then that I realized I had nothing at all to say to Rex Hudler....I couldn't even come up with a "have a good game" or "love your energy", so I just sat down. Rex turned back to the coach and my friend I was with laughed at me for 30 years.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I've sat right behind the dugout at a few ballgames. I've been four rows back at a Raptors game.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
I've rested my feet on the dugout at several games over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I've sat right behind the dugout at a few ballgames.
Ditto. Not really all that special, a little better on the first base line where you can see a lot of action. The right field seats are pretty good in most stadiums.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Old Tiger Stadium's bullpens were the tiniest, most uncomfortable looking holes in the ground you ever saw. It must have been fairly common for a few pitchers to set up chairs and sit outside of the actual bullpen, which put them right in front of the front row. I mean you could tap them on the shoulder. I think I've told the story here before, but my buddies and I were seated in just that spot for a game against the Red Sox and carried on a conversation with Derek Lowe for a few innings. Tim Wakefield, on the other hand, was not so chatty.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:19 AM

Went to a lot of Washington Wizards games in the 00's. One game I was given tickets down on the floor; I was sitting right behind JaVale McGee. I had to dodge towels a few times.

It was an interesting experience. Kind of strange to me that some of the most expensive seats in the house are just folding chairs, but whatever.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:04 PM

I was on the floor, second row at a Celtics/Bulls game in 1988. We were at the end of the court, not the side, but were practically facing the Bulls bench. Had to dodge a few players too.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:20 PM

Not the bench but a similar story. I went to a game at the old Boston Garden in the early 90s by myself asked if they had anything in the front row of the balcony. The ticket seller said he had a special ticket for me but didn't explain. I searched for my seat for 10 minutes before finally asking an usher where it was. He chuckled and led me to the TV announcer's box which hung off the front of the balcony. I was sitting right next to the announcers and a camera man while they called the game. It was a great seat but whenever they were on camera (between periods and such) they shined a really bright light on us.

Last edited by Pixel_Dent; 05-28-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:31 PM

Sat behind the bench at a Minnesota Wild game. Of course the glass is there but if it wasn't you are within arms reach of all the players cycling down the bench. The coaches stand the whole game with their backs against the glass so you're always trying to look around them. Fun to do it once but they are crap seats for trying to watch a game.

Also was behind the bench at field level when the Packers played at the old County Stadium in Milwaukee. Again, couldn't see crap the entire game.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
Not the bench but a similar story. I went to a game at the old Boston Garden in the early 90s by myself asked if they had anything in the front row of the balcony. The ticket seller said he had a special ticket for me but didn't explain. I searched for my seat for 10 minutes before finally asking an usher where it was. He chuckled and led me to the TV announcer's box which hung off the front of the balcony. I was sitting right next to the announcers and a camera man while they called the game. It was a great seat but whenever they were on camera (between periods and such) they shined a really bright light on us.
I did pretty much the same thing at the very first Columbus Blue Jackets game, I somehow got a seat that was designed to be disabled access, but was basically in the broadcast booth. Was kinda fun to do once.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:48 PM

Not too close to the bench, but I stood on the field behind the endzone at a cowboy game.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:39 PM

(Circa: 1985) My BIL and I sat in the first row behind the Knicks at MSG. Mother, sister and wife went to a Broadway play. BIL was in New York on business. (wife's brother). We had previously ordered ordered our tickets so all we had to do was go the will call. No tickets. I have one of those names where my first name sounds like a last name and my last name is a common first name. Not discovered until later. Anyway, a lady saw our plight and offered to sell us two of her extra tickets. She must of thought us to be rubes from Louisiana that just fell off the turnip truck. Finally, she assured us that they were better than any tickets we could buy and if it made us feel better, we can walk in with her and pay her at the seats. And that is exactly what happened, great seats. I could touch Patrick Ewing from spot.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Old Tiger Stadium's bullpens were the tiniest, most uncomfortable looking holes in the ground you ever saw. It must have been fairly common for a few pitchers to set up chairs and sit outside of the actual bullpen, which put them right in front of the front row. I mean you could tap them on the shoulder. I think I've told the story here before, but my buddies and I were seated in just that spot for a game against the Red Sox and carried on a conversation with Derek Lowe for a few innings. Tim Wakefield, on the other hand, was not so chatty.
How funny, I was going to post this as my follow-up. Sat exactly where you described, coulda gave a massage or a back-scratch to a few of the bullpen pitchers. What struck me was how little they paid attention to the game.

I couldn't tell you who any of the players were, though, except that the team was pretty horrible.

mmm
Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Aside from the Dodgers Dugout Club seats I got from my boss a few times, I got some good Angels seats to take my daughter to. I always looked for the best seats, willing to pay for premium seats over bullshit. At this time I managed to get seats directly from the Angels, and we walked down to the rail to our seats close enough to Scioscia to have a conversation. Three guys to our right completed the aisle and I could tell they noticed me bringing my daughter to the game. She lets it all sink in and says, These are Awesome seats, Dad! Yeah, I said. They are.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:12 PM

I should add, best seats I ever had were at a Seattle Sounders game (MLS team). The tickets were from my work which owned a suite there. It wasn’t near the field at all but you can’t beat the recliners and the endless flow of nachos, pretzels, chips, wings, beer, soda, and so on... That’s gotta be what heaven or being filthy rich must feel like.

The game was a blast too, even as high up as we were.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:11 AM

Have had front row seats at SCG, MCG and Adelaide for cricket Test matches. The notion of a bench doesn't apply in cricket.
My son has season tickets front for Leichhart Oval for West Tigers NRL games right behind the home team.
Have had front row seats for AFL fixtures and SCG, MCG and Homebush for AFL in the last couple of seasons.

Was front row at the Western Oval for Footscray vs Geelong many, many moons where the Geelong coaching support staff were sitting immediately in front of us. The lady beside us are a fervent Bulldogs support and she gave the visitors a fearful ear bashing throughout the game and they gave it back. Nothing abusive but constant and sharp.

As was usual for that period Geelong got well ahead and then went to sleep and the home team clawed their way back. With a couple of minutes to go there was the outside possibility they could pinch it. There was a marking contest close to us and one of the Geelong players fell heavily. All the eyes of the Geelong staff followed the ball as it was moved on towards the Footscray goal. The lady beside me leant over the fence, tapped the head runner gently on the shoulder, pointed back to where Gavin Excel lay on the ground and said "You have a boy in trouble". He looked back to her and said in genuine appreciation "Thank you m'am" and got him off the ground and into medical care and sent a replacement on. The replacement was Barry Stoneham who took a crucial mark in the last minute which might have saved the game. When we left after the game the two were chatting like long time buddies.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I should add, best seats I ever had were at a Seattle Sounders game (MLS team). The tickets were from my work which owned a suite there. It wasnít near the field at all but you canít beat the recliners and the endless flow of nachos, pretzels, chips, wings, beer, soda, and so on... Thatís gotta be what heaven or being filthy rich must feel like.

The game was a blast too, even as high up as we were.
Watching football from the Verizon box is fantastic, except for the food. Beef tenderloin, sushi, barbecue, all good, but I had to go out and make my way down two levels to find a sausage sandwich. I can get that other stuff anywhere, at the stadium I want stadium food.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:05 AM

Sometime in the late 1970s, my father scored free tickets to an Astros-Phillies game in the Astrodome in the field-level "red" seats. We were about 3 rows back along the right-field line, right behind the visitors' dugout. At the time, as I recall, the dugouts had a plexiglass top on them, so if you were right up against the rail, you could look down onto the players. So my dad let me go down there about mid-game and stand by the rail and look down at the players and watch the game from there, since he was only a couple of rows back and could see me easily.

Not too long- maybe an inning or so went by, and the players noticed me. We were seated toward the bullpen-end of the dugout where the pitchers were, and one of them (Dad says it was Tug McGraw) stood up and asked me where my Dad was, so I pointed at him. He says "Hey- mind if he sits with us for a few innings?" Dad says "Sure!", and I climbed over the plexiglass and got to hang out with the Phillies' pitching staff for a few innings and got some bubble gum.

So I guess the closest I've been to the bench is ON it...
Old 06-04-2019, 08:28 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/osuathletics/5927111901

Pretty sure I'm in this photo behind the second T in State by the visitor's bench. That was my spot for almost every basketball game in college.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:11 PM

Iíve sat in the front row Gillette Stadium for a handful of New England Revolution games, directly behind the bench. The only real benefit is that years ago we had this one coach who swore relentlessly during the match, which added a lot to the entertainment.

I also sat a few rows back in the seats behind the basket at a Dallas Mavericks game many years ago, which was sort of close. To be honest, I didnít enjoy those seats all that much.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:27 AM

Early 2011, my son and I sat about five rows behind the Mets' dugout for a double-header at Citi Field. David Wright game my son his game-used wristband, a memento he treasures to this day.