Old 02-28-2019, 12:32 PM

NFL Offseason thread

I didn't notice until just now that we didn't have an off-season thread, so here goes.

The combine is currently going.

In a shocker, Jason Witten decided to unretire and rejoin the Cowboys. In related news, ESPN gets a free upgrade to MNF.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
In a shocker, Jason Witten decided to unretire and rejoin the Cowboys. In related news, ESPN gets a free upgrade to MNF.
Get rid of Booger and they might have an somewhat decent product.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
The combine is currently going.
I hear the over/under on how many kickers will be shown doing field drills (i.e. anything other than the 40-yard dash) is 1/2.

Then again, from what I have heard, kicking and punting drills are along the lines of:

Placekickers:
Kick from 4 yards deep in the end zone (i.e. 6 yards from the goal post), to show how well they can get height on the ball immediately (so it becomes much harder to block the kick)
Then, kick from various distances (30 to 50, I think) and positions (center of the field, left hash mark, right hash mark)
Go home

Punters:
Punt for distance
Punt from around the 50, aiming for each of the "coffin corners" (i.e. try to get the ball out of bounds inside the 5, first aiming left, then right)
Go home

And is this the year somebody does 50 reps (of 225 pounds) in the bench press?
Old 02-28-2019, 01:13 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Punters:
Punt for distance
Punt from around the 50, aiming for each of the "coffin corners" (i.e. try to get the ball out of bounds inside the 5, first aiming left, then right)
Go home
If accurate, that surprises me a bit, since few NFL punters these days even try coffin-corner punts. Thanks to the influx of Australian footie punters, starting in the 1990s with Darren Bennett, the preferred technique now, if the punt is likely to land near the opponent's end zone, is the "drop punt" -- a high, short punt, which, due to how the punter drops the ball from his hands before punting it, is relatively unlikely to bounce in the direction of the punt (i.e., into the end zone).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 02-28-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

NFL offseason 2019

Here’s a thread to discuss what’s going on in the NFL during the off-season. I don’t follow the draft as avidly as others do, so that can be a separate thread if there’s interest.

I keep hearing that the Washington Redskins are a top team to acquire Antonio Brown and I don’t know why. They’re going to be without a real QB next season and I’m not even sure Alex Smith ever comes back. I don’t think drafting Kyler Murray is their answer, they’d have to move up and there are too many other holes the Redskins need to fill. Hopefully they’ve learned from the RG III debacle not to mortgage the future.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

SenorBeef actually started a thread a couple of days ago, but it's been slow so far: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=871602
Old 03-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Didn’t see the one from Beef, I’ll ask a Mod to merge these.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Apparently DK Metcalf is winning the combine. 27 reps for a WR. 4.33 40. 6'4, 225. That's Calvin Johnson territory for size/speed.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Apparently DK Metcalf is winning the combine. 27 reps for a WR. 4.33 40. 6'4, 225. That's Calvin Johnson territory for size/speed.
And Stephen Hill's.

It's almost comical how ripped that dude is. Some team will fall in love with his measurables and "upside", and make him a first round pick (wouldve been Al Davis, RIS) despite a lack of actual production. But he just screams "workout warrior" to me.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:08 PM

Apparently after trading up for their franchise QB Josh Rosen last year, the Cards are interested in drafting Kyler Murray with the #1 pick. I'm all for drafting a QB every year, but that's so much capital at one position. They must not like Rosen at all. Of course, the amount of disinformation out there is ridiculous, so take it for what it's worth.

I'm interested this offseasons in watching the drama in Pittsburgh as they lose Bell and Brown, and seeing where they end up. Should be fun. I'm also looking forward to the development (or not) of the young QBs. I think Darnold had a horrible start , but looked legit toward the end of the year. It will be interesting to see if Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen (and to a lesser extent Mitch Trubisky) can learn to actually pass the ball. Finally, I'm looking forward to the draft. It's always interesting.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 PM

If they're pretty sure he's not going to develop into the guy, then it makes sense to draft a replacement. A lot of time has been wasted giving years to busts because of their high draft investment.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Just saw the Rosen to the Redskins rumors on a couple of sports blogs. The Redskins can get Rosen and try to develop him. Colt McCoy isn’t the answer, anyway. The Cards can take a chance on Murray.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
If they're pretty sure he's not going to develop into the guy, then it makes sense to draft a replacement. A lot of time has been wasted giving years to busts because of their high draft investment.
Look at the Bucs with Jameis Winston. Heisman Trophy, first overall draft pick, and a mediocre 88/58 TD/Int rating so far. No playoff appearances and only one winning season (an uninspiring 9/7 record in 2016) which was also the only year they werenít in last place in the division in his career. Combine that with off-the-field problems, yet after 4 years heís still there.

I mean, the Bucs havenít been any good since Ď07 but still, he sure hasnít helped.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:16 AM

He can't turn.

He has the strangest SPARQ chart you'll ever see.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
He can't turn.

He has the strangest SPARQ chart you'll ever see.
I believe this is evidence that he is actually a custom Madden game character who was min-maxed and then somehow became corporeal.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I believe this is evidence that he is actually a custom Madden game character who was min-maxed and then somehow became corporeal.
"Dude, your guy has zero points in Route Running and Maneuvering!"

"Yeah, I ran out of build points. Who cares? I'm just gonna run fly routes with him."
Old 03-03-2019, 06:57 PM

Someone on reddit made a flowchart to decide your favorite team.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Someone on reddit made a flowchart to decide your favorite team.
Thatís one of the funniest things Iíve read for a long time.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:46 AM

When watching a movie, do you root for the bad guys?

"Patriots"
Old 03-04-2019, 09:10 AM

Do you cringe at gruesome leg injuries?

No

Washington Redskins
Old 03-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Do you want to have high expectations only to be let down each year?

Yes -> Atlanta Falcons

No, I’d rather have no expectations to begin with -> Arizona Cardinals
Old 03-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Are you OK being the butt of a joke?

YES --> Jets
NO --> Eagles
Old 03-04-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRhino View Post
Do you cringe at gruesome leg injuries?

No

Washington Redskins

Lol, although I’m currently dating a Redskins fan, I refuse to watch either the Theisman or Smith injury videos.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Apparently after trading up for their franchise QB Josh Rosen last year, the Cards are interested in drafting Kyler Murray with the #1 pick. I'm all for drafting a QB every year, but that's so much capital at one position. They must not like Rosen at all. Of course, the amount of disinformation out there is ridiculous, so take it for what it's worth.

I'm interested this offseasons in watching the drama in Pittsburgh as they lose Bell and Brown, and seeing where they end up. Should be fun. I'm also looking forward to the development (or not) of the young QBs. I think Darnold had a horrible start , but looked legit toward the end of the year. It will be interesting to see if Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen (and to a lesser extent Mitch Trubisky) can learn to actually pass the ball. Finally, I'm looking forward to the draft. It's always interesting.
The Raiders are also firmly ensconced in this drama at #4 despite their denials to the contrary about being interested in Kyler Murray. Because we all know that the Raiders devotion to Derek Carr is loyal and true, they said so.

I just read an article indicating that Rosen wouldn't be worth more than a 3rd round pick. Ouch!
Old 03-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Getting on the record, Kyler Murray will be an unmitigated disaster as an NFL QB.

On another topic, the barrage of "Free Agency Preview" stories is now underway, and it's very weird to be reading the Bears analysis and seeing that they have very few holes to fill and they are basically capped out. Haven't felt this way in a while. We've got some key depth guys that we're likely to lose (and miss) and we'll need some younger guys to step up.

It's possible that the Bears will have entirely new special teams battery, with Parkey gone, O'Donnell a UFA and the LS Scales an RFA, we could go super cheap and line up rookies and journeymen all around. Scary, but honestly how much worse could it get?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Just saw the Rosen to the Redskins rumors on a couple of sports blogs. The Redskins can get Rosen and try to develop him. Colt McCoy isn’t the answer, anyway. The Cards can take a chance on Murray.
This guy at CBS thinks the Cards will get Washington's #15 pick for him. I'd like to think the Redskins aren't that stupid, but they clearly are. I'd give them a 3rd and a player, if anything at all.

If I had my druthers, Rosen's a hard pass. See this article:

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/20...ike-josh-rosen

While I don't agree with everything written there, it definitely doesn't paint an optimistic picture for Rosen's future.

Last edited by DCnDC; 03-05-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Lol, although Iím currently dating a Redskins fan, I refuse to watch either the Theisman or Smith injury videos.
Donít forget RGIII. (Although it seems like everyone else has.)
Old 03-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Rumors coming from everywhere that the Browns are about to make some sort of big surprise soon. OBJ is my best guess.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 03-06-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:17 AM

Curious move by the Giants to let Landon Collins walk. Do they know something everyone else doesn't, or do they just not want to pay him?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:52 PM

My guess is that they don't want to pay him what he wants to be paid. Rather than play franchise tag games and still not have a safety next year, they'll let him go, fill in as possible with more money than they'd have if they caved, and enjoy the extra third round pick they'll get next year.

Collins is really a phenomenal talent at strong safety. That said, defenses are disguising coverages more and more, and having a safety that's a significant liability in coverage makes than more difficult. He'll land somewhere, making a lot of money, and probably continue to be an incredible player. The list of teams willing to fork over the cash, however, will probably be much smaller than the teams chasing Earl Thomas.

If Green Bay gets BOTH of them, I'll be an incredibly happy owner. That's....doubtful, however.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:06 PM

The number of starting safeties available right now is crazy. It’s a buyer’s market. Just look at this list:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019S.php

One or two of those guys might be in the HoF some day yet they’re currently in free agency or about to be, or available for trade. That position is getting to be like the running back position where a generational talent might still be getting little attention and/or money compared to less-talented teammates in other positions.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

WTF?? Some blogger just reported that the Redskins are trading for Case Keenum. I really need to stay offline more, they can’t be serious. Colt McCoy and Keenum are interchangeable as it is, no need for two mediocre QBs.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:46 PM

Reports that the Bills are finalizing a trade for Antonio Brown.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Keenum to the Redskins is a thing, involving just a swap of 2020 6th and 7th round draft picks. Perhaps McCoy isn’t a guarantee to be healthy in 2019 or perhaps the Skins just want to see who of the mediocre bunch wants it more.

ProFootballTalk: Keenum trade is a win-win-win https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...a-win-win-win/

I guess this might end the Rosen to the Redskins rumors although the Cards may still move him.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
WTF?? Some blogger just reported that the Redskins are trading for Case Keenum. I really need to stay offline more, they canít be serious. Colt McCoy and Keenum are interchangeable as it is, no need for two mediocre QBs.
My theory is that, after their continued injury jinxes, the GM said ďwe better get another QB just in caseĒ and people misunderstood him.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Reports that the Bills are finalizing a trade for Antonio Brown.
Rapoport is already walking that back:
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/...386870272?s=21
Old 03-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Rapoport is already walking that back:
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/...386870272?s=21
This SI.com story indicates that the deal fell apart because Brown didn't want to go to the Bills. It also notes that there are, apparently, few other active suitors for Brown, due to what the Steelers are looking to get in trade.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:08 PM

If this NFL thing doesn’t work out, Antonio could pursue a singing career.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:00 PM

Giants trade Olivier to the Browns. Still entertaining offers for OBJ. Seems like they're going into full rebuild mode. That doesn't bode well for Eli.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Curious move by the Giants to let Landon Collins walk. Do they know something everyone else doesn't, or do they just not want to pay him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
My guess is that they don't want to pay him what he wants to be paid. Rather than play franchise tag games and still not have a safety next year, they'll let him go, fill in as possible with more money than they'd have if they caved, and enjoy the extra third round pick they'll get next year.

Collins is really a phenomenal talent at strong safety. That said, defenses are disguising coverages more and more, and having a safety that's a significant liability in coverage makes than more difficult. He'll land somewhere, making a lot of money, and probably continue to be an incredible player. The list of teams willing to fork over the cash, however, will probably be much smaller than the teams chasing Earl Thomas.

If Green Bay gets BOTH of them, I'll be an incredibly happy owner. That's....doubtful, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
The number of starting safeties available right now is crazy. Itís a buyerís market. Just look at this list:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2019S.php

One or two of those guys might be in the HoF some day yet theyíre currently in free agency or about to be, or available for trade. That position is getting to be like the running back position where a generational talent might still be getting little attention and/or money compared to less-talented teammates in other positions.
Yup, it's mostly supply/demand. Adrian Amos is a FA for the Bears and as of 18 months ago, you would have guessed that Amos would be a lead pipe lock to be resigned to a significant deal to be part of the defense core for years to come. Now the Bears are basically playing a waiting game with him, essentially gambling that he won't get a significant offer from anyone because he'll be overshadowed by several much bigger names.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Giants trade Olivier to the Browns. Still entertaining offers for OBJ. Seems like they're going into full rebuild mode. That doesn't bode well for Eli.
Actually G Kevin Zeitler (the player they got for OV) seems to be a pretty good player, an upgrade they need on the OL. Vernon underperformed for the Giants. He was hurt a lot and really was only a pretty good pass rusher.

As to OBJ being shopped, that seems like a media driven story with little basis on anything that the Giants front office has done or said. I still think that Eli is going to be the QB next year. After that, they need to figure out something. Personally, I'm on the fence about the draft. If they like any of the QB's they probably need to take one. This trade, however, does leave a big hole at pass rusher. A position that is considered to be the strength of this years draft.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 PM

Gettleman's focus for the Giants appears to have two points of emphasis: the trenches and offensive weapons.

Last year Gettleman drafted Saquon Barkley and extended OBJ's contract. I doubt OBJ will be traded now.

This year he's purging most of the veterans and free agents, focusing on the offensive line and improving the locker room. I think one key element to all of his plans is that Eli remains "good enough" for the next season or two. I doubt Eli will be traded.

One thing to keep in mind regarding Eli: He is now essentially a replacement level QB, reliably. As in, most "replacement level" players are journeyman who can play "good enough" if they have a good game, or possibly much worse. Eli occasionally has terrible games but for the most part you can reliably expect a replacement level performance out of him. This is something a coach can build around, and it definitely helps that Eli is being paid like a replacement level player.

Here's a list of starting QB salaries. Eli is listed as $21 million / year, which sounds like way too much in a vacuum. But he's the 13th highest paid QB, and barely costs more than the high-teens contracts for Ryan Tannehill, Case Keenum and Blake Bortles. Is Eli worth $21 million? Easy to say no. Would you rather have Eli, or Blake Bortles and a few million extra cap space? I'd much rather have Eli.

My main takeaway from that list of contracts is that Aaron Rodgers is way overpaid at $33.5 million. The only top 10 contract in that list that seems reasonable to me is Drew Brees @ $25 million, and he's older than dirt.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 03-09-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:26 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Late-breaking Saturday night news: the Steelers have agreed to trade Antonio Brown to the Raiders, for 3rd and 5th round picks in this year's draft. In addition, the Raiders will be giving Brown a new contract, worth $50.1 million over three years (up to $54.1 million with incentives).

Source: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/10/an...burgh-steelers
Old 03-10-2019, 12:39 AM

I had a feeling he might end up in Oakland....
Old 03-10-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Late-breaking Saturday night news: the Steelers have agreed to trade Antonio Brown to the Raiders, for 3rd and 5th round picks in this year's draft. In addition, the Raiders will be giving Brown a new contract, worth $50.1 million over three years (up to $54.1 million with incentives).

Source: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/10/an...burgh-steelers
Pretty good value getting a HoF receiver with a couple good years left for a third and a fifth round pick. Nice job.

Completely mental to give a 30 year old WR $30 million guaranteed and $50 million overall after you've gutted your roster, are in the process of "rebuilding", and have no legitimate shot of competing for a Super Bowl in the next couple years.

Gruden is amazingly fun to watch, because there is absolutely no consistency or vision. I will enjoy watching that Oakland/Las Vegas thing devolve into a clusterfuck. It's like Al Davis is still alive.

Last edited by Hamlet; 03-10-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
One thing to keep in mind regarding Eli: He is now essentially a replacement level QB, reliably. As in, most "replacement level" players are journeyman who can play "good enough" if they have a good game, or possibly much worse. Eli occasionally has terrible games but for the most part you can reliably expect a replacement level performance out of him.
I love it that you have to compare Eli to Blake Bortles and Case Keenum to make it appear he's some kind of value.

We've disagreed about Eli for years, and if anything, that time has shown I was, and still are, right in my assessment of Eli. I'm more than happy to watch the Giants spin their wheels for the 7th straight season without a playoff win with Eli.

Last edited by Hamlet; 03-10-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
We've disagreed about Eli for years, and if anything, that time has shown I was, and still are, right in my assessment of Eli. I'm more than happy to watch the Giants spin their wheels for the 7th straight season without a playoff win with Eli.
I'm equally happy to enjoy Eli having won twice as many rings as Rodgers.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Full disclosure: I'm a Steelers fan.

I think it could've been an incredibly prudent move if they were able to trade away Antonio for a 1st round pick. To be clear, i loved watching AB, and would've preferred that he remained a productive member of the Steelers, but he is at an age where WRs start to decline and there's obviously some kind of locker room issue, so getting back a 1st round pick would've a decent way to move forward. Getting only 3rd and 5th round picks is pretty meh. The best i can say now is at least the Le'Veon/AB circus is over now and we can just move forward.

I'm still unclear on whether 2019 is salary cap hell for the Steelers. Reportedly, they will have the most dead money in history (~$20M) for Brown, but i still don't understand if they get additional cap space in 2019 because Bell never signed the franchise tag in 2018 (or if that "cap space" is just gone).
Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 AM

Pittsburgh just got rid of a big headache. The question to be answered is, has Oakland, soon-to-be-Vegas, just acquired one?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Landon Collins to the Washington Redskins, 6 years, 84 million dollars. An overpay probably, but a nice piece.