Old 04-23-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

The Onion weighs in.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:19 PM

Oh millennials.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 PM

The guy is a great guy, excellent politician, and a solid American who understands politics.

That being said, he is THE BEST Vice-Presidential candidate.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:46 PM

Oooh, can't you just see him and Pence in a VP debate?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
How?

Near as I can tell, Pence became VP in January of ‘17 after he was a Governor from January of ‘13 to January of ‘17, after he was a Congressman from January of ‘01 to January of ‘13. Near as I can tell, Buttigieg was a teen who was still in college in January of ‘01; isn’t Pence ahead even without Trump’s years as president?
I was only repeating what Mayor Buttigieg said himself.

Pence, as you say, has two years in the US Congress, two years as Governor and two years, four months as VP, for a total of six years and four months. Here is a link to Pence's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pence

Mayor Buttigieg became Mayor in January 2012, [Indiana will be holding elections for Municipal offices in November 2019.] So at the end of April that will be seven years and four months. Now, since we are talking about experience in an elected office, I will subtract the seven months Mayor
Buttigieg spent in Afganistan, leaving six years and nine months. Leaving some five months difference. Here is a link to Buttigieg's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Buttigieg

I will allow that five months may be a difference without a distinction.

Respectfully yours Zuer-coli
Old 04-23-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I can't find the quote, but Beto gave a positive and supportive response to Pete's announcement - and Mayor of Austin Steve Adler choosing to endorse fellow mayor Pete rather than fellow Texan Beto. Mind you, it was probably said through gritted teeth but that's politics for you.
I was there and if Mayor Adler was gritting his teeth, he did a remarkably convincing job of concealing it.

Respectfully yours Zuer-coli
Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 AM

I think it was Beto who is alleged to have been gritting his teeth.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuer-coli View Post

Pence, as you say, has two years in the US Congress, two years as Governor and two years, four months as VP, for a total of six years and four months. Here is a link to Pence's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pence
Your link says Pence has twelve years, not two, in the US Congress.

[EDITED TO ADD: and it says you’re wrong, though closer, on his years as Governor.]

Last edited by The Other Waldo Pepper; 04-24-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:00 AM

Give the guy credit: unlike Bernie, Pete knows better than to advocate giving the vote to the Boston Bomber. FFS, it’s almost like Bernie’s whole candidacy is some kind of Borat-style prank.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...is/3548232002/
Old 04-24-2019, 01:34 AM

I agree with Bernie. Voting rights need to be aggressively protected. Given the massive racial inequalities in our justice system, felon disenfranchisement can only be viewed as an instrument of white supremacy.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

It's not a matter of giving voting rights to that one specific individual. It's a matter of giving them to a whole category of people, that happens to include that one individual.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Give the guy credit: unlike Bernie, Pete knows better than to advocate giving the vote to the Boston Bomber. FFS, it’s almost like Bernie’s whole candidacy is some kind of Borat-style prank.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...is/3548232002/
Too bad. My favorability for Buttigieg just went down about 2 notches.

Last edited by scr4; 04-24-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
It's not a matter of giving voting rights to that one specific individual. It's a matter of giving them to a whole category of people, that happens to include that one individual.
And a classic example of a sleazy media hit job trying to obscure the issues by appealing to emotions. It's like when that guy asked Dukakis, "Well, how would you feel about the death penalty if YOUR DAUGHTER HAD BEEN VIOLENTLY RAPED AND MURDERED???"
Old 04-24-2019, 10:56 AM

It was his wife, not his daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

I support enfranchisement of felons who have been released from prison. The idea of bringing absentee ballots (or maybe a voting machine?!?) to prison so hardened murderers and rapists can cast ballots, strikes me as (1) questionable on the merits and (2) insane on the politics.

What do we expect the polling on this would be? Maybe 80-20 against?

Why are people willing to take a flyer on philosophically extreme positions with no base of support, no chance of actually occurring, when we have a national emergency called HELLO TRUMP IS IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND WE HAVE TO GET HIM OUT?
Old 04-24-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
And a classic example of a sleazy media hit job trying to obscure the issues by appealing to emotions. It's like when that guy asked Dukakis, "Well, how would you feel about the death penalty if YOUR DAUGHTER HAD BEEN VIOLENTLY RAPED AND MURDERED???"

Nitpick, it was his wife that Dukakis was asked about. According to the excellent book on the 1988 campaign, Whose Broad Stripes and Bright Stars, Dukakis had an excellent answer rehearsed but totally flubbed it due to being sick with the flu.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:26 PM

Isn't the Boston marathon bomber a non-citizen? He can't vote even if he weren't in prison.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

I mentioned in the Biden thread that I’m glad Biden is going to suck up all the oxygen for a bit. I’m damn impressed with Mayor Pete but I think it’s time for the momentum to cool. Here’s his time to start building an infrastructure to campaign in the early states, roll out some more details on policy positions, and talk things over with some political consultants.

I think his policy on inmates voting is the right one. But, there was certainly a backlash on Twitter by some. A bit of time out of the intense spotlight of the previous month will be good for Mayor Pete. Staying out of the firing line of the so-called progressives for a while sounds perfect, they’ve unleashed their ire on Biden.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I think his policy on inmates voting is the right one. But, there was certainly a backlash on Twitter by some.

Which is a great illustration of what Obama was talking about (the "circular firing squad" thread) in terms of how that wing of the party (if they can really even be said to be in the party) damages our electoral chances.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
IMHO both Beto’s and Mayor Pete’s base seems to be shaping up to be the upper middle class urban folks. In the race for this demographic, and based on how they’ve done so far, my prediction is that Mayor Pete is going to end up outlasting Beto.

As for his overall chances, I give him a fair shot, but by no means a favorite yet, of passing Biden, Sanders, and Harris. IIRC 538 has him with the 3rd or 4th best odds of winning the nomination.

ETA. The week Beto declared he was running I was a Beto supporter and donated to his campaign. Since then I’ve changed my mind and I’m a Buttigieg supporter.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 04-25-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I support enfranchisement of felons who have been released from prison. The idea of bringing absentee ballots (or maybe a voting machine?!?) to prison so hardened murderers and rapists can cast ballots, strikes me as (1) questionable on the merits and (2) insane on the politics.

What do we expect the polling on this would be? Maybe 80-20 against?

Why are people willing to take a flyer on philosophically extreme positions with no base of support, no chance of actually occurring, when we have a national emergency called HELLO TRUMP IS IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND WE HAVE TO GET HIM OUT?
My personal theory is this: in recent state referenda (Florida et al) the people have voted to reinstate the franchise to at least some former felons and Republicans, aware that this is a population heavily skewed toward black people convicted of drug offenses who are unlikely to vote GOP, have been doing everything in their power to prevent the results of those referenda from being implemented in time for next year's elections. They have raised this issue in its most emotive form in order to aid those efforts, prevent further similar referenda from succeeding and generally smear Democrats.

IOW it's bullshit as usual.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuer-coli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Your link says Pence has twelve years, not two, in the US Congress.
Buttigieg's claim, quoted in this Politifact article, is/was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Pete
...I’ve got not only more experience in government than the president, but more executive experience than the vice president...
Politifact rates this as "Mostly false", based on the fact that it doesn't count Pence's time as VP or his time as an executive in the private sector. They do note that if you only count time as the top elected official of a government body, it is true, but discounts the wider scope of the governor's responsibilities. The headline of the article calls the claim "misleading," which I'd concede. On the other hand, I personally find Pence to be a poor excuse for a human being, and think Buttigieg is more qualified than he just based on not seeming like someone who thinks The Handmaid's Tale is a utopian novel.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
My personal theory is this: in recent state referenda (Florida et al) the people have voted to reinstate the franchise to at least some former felons and Republicans, aware that this is a population heavily skewed toward black people convicted of drug offenses who are unlikely to vote GOP, have been doing everything in their power to prevent the results of those referenda from being implemented in time for next year's elections. They have raised this issue in its most emotive form in order to aid those efforts, prevent further similar referenda from succeeding and generally smear Democrats.

IOW it's bullshit as usual.

So why take the bait, when there's a simple answer (that, again, Pete did understand--to his credit). "People in prison have many rights taken away from them, including basic ones like being able to walk around freely outside. Once they are out of prison, they have that right back and should get the right to vote back as well". The end. Simple. No "slippery slope" as Bernie claimed (unless he agrees with his buddies in the DSA that prisons should be abolished altogether).
Old 04-29-2019, 01:28 PM

Bad news for Pete:

Old 04-29-2019, 01:31 PM

"In the days and weeks ahead, I will share my full story with the nation."

Anyone who takes this at face value is a fool.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:33 PM

Mayor Pete is also not in favor of free college tuition. He believes that those people who don't go to college shouldn't have to subsidize those who do, since the latter will earn more money. This seems like a reasoned stance to me.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
"In the days and weeks ahead, I will share my full story with the nation."

Anyone who takes this at face value is a fool.
I think ignoring it would be foolish, but I agree, just believing whatever accuser comes out of the woodwork is foolish. I, for one, will be interested in hearing what comes of this in the days / weeks to come.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:29 PM

So, this guy says Pete sexually assaulted him in February? The month after Pete launched his presidential exploratory committee?

I'm not saying it absolutely positively didn't happen, but why, in the time of #MeToo, would a person actively running for president do anything that came anywhere close to being viewed as sexually improper? It just seems a little off and too convenient right when Pete is taking off in the polls.

And this guy's going to drag his story out over the coming days and weeks? Yeaaah...
Old 04-29-2019, 02:32 PM

If this were a woman accusing Biden? The press would swarm all over that story. They'd hound him out of the race within a few weeks.

Buttigieg can't be given a pass because it involves an alleged sexual assault on a man.

It has to be taken seriously. If the allegations are proven false, then the appropriate charges need to be filed against the accuser.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-29-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
So, this guy says Pete sexually assaulted him in February? The month after Pete launched his presidential exploratory committee?

I'm not saying it absolutely positively didn't happen, but why, in the time of #MeToo, would a person actively running for president do anything that came anywhere close to being viewed as sexually improper? It just seems a little off and too convenient right when Pete is taking off in the polls.

And this guy's going to drag his story out over the coming days and weeks? Yeaaah...
Anyone care to click that link? What's the rest of that website look like?
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM

Google Buttigieg assault

The story is slowly spreading. So far the major news sources are ignoring it.

Hopefully they'll be able to verify the story's plausibility before publishing.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-29-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post

Hopefully they'll be able to verify the story's plausibility before publishing.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

[cough] excuse me...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 04-29-2019, 03:15 PM

I understand. We are talking about the 24 hour news cycle. Verifying the plausibility of a story isn't high on their list of priorities.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-29-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
It's a post on Medium. It appears to be the guy's only piece.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Yes, but I liked this one even more. So cool! How many people, let alone presidential candidates, can speak Binary? Mayor Pete would be everyone's president, human or otherwise.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:19 PM

Hey, thanks. I'm unfamiliar with Medium. Maybe I'll click it after work.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, thanks. I'm unfamiliar with Medium. Maybe I'll click it after work.
It's basically a place where you can post long form essays about whatever's on your mind. Sort of a cross between blogspot and tumblr.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:33 PM

That post discusses thoughts of suicide and I find it troubling. I'm concerned what will happen if he finds a pack of reporters on his doorstep. He sounded so emotionally fragile in that post.

It could be a troubled individual looking for attention. Or a clever self-promoter with an agenda.

There's no way to know until more news comes out.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-29-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post

OTOH, if the accuser is lying he could have chosen any date at all for the "assault" to have occurred. Why would he choose such an obviously convenient time-frame?

Unless............. that's precisely what he wants us to think.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I'd heard of, and read blogs on Medium before but I don't know anything about it's vetting process. It seems like it's more blog site than Dallas Morning News. My early thought is: this is just something some guy blogged on a website where accusations are free and easy. That doesn't mean it's false but the guy offers no dates, locations, or anything, really.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here is some of it from the Medium link above:

Quote:
My name is Hunter Kelly. I am 21 years old. This is by far the hardest thing I have ever had to do. For the past three nights, I have not slept even a single hour. I have vomited eight times.

I was sexually assaulted by Mayor Pete Buttigieg. I didn’t know who he was back in February, only that he told me he was an important politician. When I started seeing him on television three weeks ago as a Presidential candidate, I thought about coming forward.

I am a gay man. I have been grappling with my identity for a number of years. I live, work, and attend college in rural Michigan. I know that by coming forward, I will make a hard life even harder. But I must do so — I must do so — for my country, for other gay men like me, and most importantly to stop a very bad man from becoming President of the United States.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:05 PM

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/04/...-believe-true/

So far no details at all. And he's a Trump supporter who recently scrubbed his social media accounts. His twitter account is a month old.

Even other Log Cabin Republicans are calling this "shady as hell".
Old 04-29-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/04/...-believe-true/

So far no details at all. And he's a Trump supporter who recently scrubbed his social media accounts. His twitter account is a month old.

Even other Log Cabin Republicans are calling this "shady as hell".
Yes. Here are some quotes from the article you linked to with names and direct quotes in bold.

Quote:
Chad Felix Greene, a prominent gay Republican popular on Twitter, isn’t buying it either.

“I’m a sexual assault survivor and victims need to be heard. But it is wrong to falsely accuse someone by name,” he told LGBTQ Nation. “This young man should be speaking with the police and not writing headline-grabbing blogs and teasing details. It just looks like a false claim.”

Neither is Gregory T. Angelo, the former head of Log Cabin Republicans, who said. “Not a fan of Mayor Pete, but this whole thing seems shady as hell.”

Another prominent gay Republican, Brad Polumbo, also chimed in with his doubts.

“All accusations should be taken seriously, but Pete Buttigieg deserves the 100% benefit of the doubt until any misconduct accusation is fully vetted, substantiated, and corroborated,” he tweeted.

Even the team over at the right wing site Twitchy isn’t believing Kelly’s story.

“So far, it seems that only highly suspect and disreputable outlets are running with this,” they wrote in a post published today. “David Wohl, aka Jacob Wohl’s dad, was among those spreading Big League Politics’ story, and Gateway Pundit is pushing it as well.”
Old 04-29-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I think ignoring it would be foolish, but I agree, just believing whatever accuser comes out of the woodwork is foolish. I, for one, will be interested in hearing what comes of this in the days / weeks to come.
It seems he’s a log cabin Republican who is known as a Trump supporter. Some prominent gay Republicans aren’t buying the story.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lgb...ieve-true/amp/
Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

It's not even an accusation. It's a claim that he's going to eventually make an accusation. If he does make an accusation, then it should be treated seriously and investigated. Until then, there's nothing to treat seriously.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:47 PM

Yes, just the way it is presented alone - as if it's some kind of teaser for an upcoming serial drama - raises my bullshit detector into the red zone. But I think this is going to become the norm in politics, if it isn't already.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:54 PM

From that lgtbq nation site, it looks like he was a Trump supporter that scrubbed his social media and tried to look like a Sanders supporter. Seems like even if obviously bullshit, he would be happy if this had been accepted as a Bernie Bro smear job.

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-29-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:03 PM
Sith Mod

To the shock of literally no person, any where, the accusations of sexual assault have been revealed as a hoax:

https://splinternews.com/worlds-bigg...0616?sfidzkmb1
Old 04-29-2019, 08:05 PM

That's a relief.

I'm glad this attempted smear attempt was quickly uncovered.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:08 PM

https://www.thedailybeast.com/far-ri...claim?ref=wrap

The Daily Beast reached out to Kelly on a cell phone listed to him in the student directory at his Michigan college. Told we were reporting on apparent efforts by Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman to drum up false sexual assault allegations against Buttigieg, Kelly replied, “I was unaware this was happening. But yes it is true.”

Kelly wrote that he did not control the newly-created Medium and Twitter accounts that posted the allegations under his name. When asked if he could verify his identity, he texted the Daily Beast a selfie that matched the photo seen on Medium and on Kelly’s longstanding Facebook accounts.

“Here is a selfie of me, sorry I have been crying,” he wrote. “Today and the promises made didn’t go as planned.”

Kelly declined to provide more details. But two hours later he posted a message to his Facebook timeline headed, “I WAS NOT SEXUALLY ASSAULTED.”
Old 04-29-2019, 08:09 PM

So Jacob Wohl strikes again. I sincerely hope that he is sued by both Hunter Kelly and Pete Buttigieg.