Old 02-11-2019, 06:22 AM

Sleeping in, a sunriseless MMP

It's only slightly joking when I say I look forward to Moanday morning when I can sleep in...& go to irk. Usually that more true in the summer months but it was true this weekend too. Fri night/Sat morn, I was out all night watching the sky in the slightly-warmer-than-Polar-Vortex wind-chilled cold. Twas truly incredible! Sunday morning, I was out an hour before sunrise. I watched it but was unable to get any pictures of it as my hands were full at the time & I couldn't go the 15' to the car to get a camera with a better lens.

Today & the next few days there will be no (visible) sunrise as just about every form of precipitation (snow, sleet, freezing rain & rain) falls from the skies so I really can sleep in today. Skools are even opening two hours late. Perhaps I'll play with the morning sun on Thursday when it makes it's next, as-of-now scheduled appearance.

Pre-hijack question: when/why were you out for your last sunrise?
Old 02-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

First! W00T!

I'm on the way to work, so I get to see frequent sunrises(except today, when it's rainy and cloudy).

Last edited by dogbutler; 02-11-2019 at 06:34 AM. Reason: FIRST! W00T!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 45 Amurrkin out and cloudy with a predicted high of 70 and cloudy for the day. 'Twas rainy all evenin' yestiddy and more predicted tomorrow. We shall see. Oh, and the annual pine tree orgy is gettin' underway. Saw little traces of pollen yestiddy mornin'. Today I shall defilthyfy da cave and finally get my report done for tonight's Vestry meetin'. As requested, sup shall be salmon patties, peas, smashed N.O.T., and bizkits. Easy to do and get et before tonight's meetin', so there's that.

Back before I became a retired, unemployed drain on society I was frequently at irk or on my way to irk at six a.m. Saw a lot of sunrises then. These days, I do see sunrises but from the comfort of da cave as I am gettin' my mornin' caffeine fix. I have to say I like watchin' sunrises a whole lot better this way.

All y'all facin' nasty weather take care!

Now I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy demands sustenance. Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Moanday Y'all!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:33 AM

Happy Moonday!

Ugh, I feel like hell this morning.
Ate too much yesterday, then we stopped at Sonic on the way home because I wanted to try one of those deep fried oreo ice cream desserts.
It looked good, and tasted pretty good, but I shouldn't have eaten the whole thing.

It's a cloudy 30 degrees outside, snow is on the ground, and it's supposed to snow more today.

When I was delivering newspapers I got to see many beautiful sunrises. The last neighborhood on my route was on the water and often I'd pause at the community beach to watch the sun come up. I took lots of pictures too, but camera phones weren't so good back then.
It was the only enjoyable thing about that thankless pos job. As much as I enjoyed the sunrises though, there's no way I'm getting up just to watch one.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 AM

What sun? Today’s forecast is snow in the early evening, followed by a “wintry mix” which includes freezing rain, aka ice. I may be irking from home tomorrow. I took a 2 hour nap yesterday, which means I didn’t fall asleep til 11. Waaay past my bedtime.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:34 AM

Yeah, there was no sunrise here. I mean, it's not night out anymore, but we're in the cloudy lull between storms. Yesterday, we got 6" of snow and tomorrow, we're looking at a foot.

I wish so badly I could have slept in today. Romeo Jr. had a cold... that I now have. I'm working through it, since I need to take Thursday afternoon off to go to the dentist and Friday off because Juliet Jr. has no school. And I have deadlines to meet. So here's to 10 hour days when you feel like crap!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 AM

Seen my share going to work (before I became a retired gentleman of leisure) and when travelling. Last time I deliberately got up before dawn just to see a sunrise was at Urulu (Ayers Rock) in Australia about 3-4 years ago. It was OK.

Had a dream about an old girlfriend and just as it was getting interesting, I got a cramp in my leg that woke me up, so a case of dreamus interruptus... Other than that, not much planned for the week, some cleaning about the house (dishes are washing as I type). 49F now heading for 62F, with rain due tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Looks like we got about six or seven inches of snow yesterday. Currently 22F. More snow expected tonight, and snow is forecast for tomorrow. Our accountant sent out a text to everyone, telling them to take a vacation day or else telecommute if they don't feel safe driving. Monday is a normal telecommuting day for me. I'll probably telecommute tomorrow too, as I don't know if I can make the 115-mile (each way) drive to the office in the Prius and I don't want to spend the money on gas to drive the Jeep. I need to remember to get the snow off of the MGB's canopy garage today.

The deck is like 39 feet by 24 feet. It has a roof covering the 17 feet by 24 feet outside the French doors. Unfortunately, the roof doesn't keep snow from floating in. I've swept part of it, but it's a little treacherous. My slippers can be slippery.

A hummingbird came out early, looking for some nectar. The feeder was inside so it wouldn't freeze, so I hung it up. Two hummingbirds came by and chased each other off.

I'm still making good use of my N-2B.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

Pre-hijack question: when/why were you out for your last sunrise?
Usually hunting or fishing; either way it spells trouble for someone or something. Last one was December maybe?

From last week:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
Quick story - I was standing around during the visitation time before the funeral service proper, looking at all the flower arrangements, when I noticed one with some really pretty yellow roses. Upon closer inspection, I saw a stinkbug on one of the roses. My first thought was, "There's Unk, checking to see who showed up for his funeral!". And after I promised to be nice at the funeral...
Short version: when Uncle Kopek died, him being of service to the Air Force before there was such a thing, he got a military send-off. The honor guard from Dover asked to video it all for training purposes which made me and a cousin literally laugh out loud. We could hear Sarge's voice saying "Damn kids -- here I am my last minutes above ground and they STILL can't train these snots without my help!"

Just got back from co-workers service. It wasn't my kinda one but it was right for the time and place. The deacon officiating broke the 5-minute-funeral and people sort of scattered. There is talk of a memorial service in the future once some scabs form but we shall see. Been here, done this ---- I understand.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Howdy all!

I see sunrises fairly often. I take 'Beamer to school early enough that we'll see the sunrise. He is unimpressed. I'm usually just hoping the light doesn't hit me in the eyes.

'Beamette is back from her week long stay at the horspital. It looks like things may be improving. We're keeping our fingers and toes crossed.

'Beamer has a cold that he caught at school. He explained to me last week that kids at school were sick and he would get sick if he went. I made him go anyway (it's my job). Sure enough, he's sick and he brought enough to share.

It's cold for here, with snow some places but not down to sea level.

Hugs to all!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

My 30-year-old Sorel pack boots are like big, warm, clunky slippers.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I measured the snow on the deck. Eight inches (20.32 cm).
Old 02-11-2019, 01:42 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
You have a sensitive measuring device there.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
After the bit stuck into the snow, I still had 28 inches exposed.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:54 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Quote:
I knew there was a reason I always liked you.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
We have about 18" in the middle of our backyard, where there are no snowbanks from shoveling. The banks at the end of the driveway are so high I can't see when I back out. I have to wait in the driveway, then gun it. And we still have a couple months more of winter yet...
Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! Da cave is spiffed and I finally have my JW report put together. Go Me! What? I did all that without nappage.

Sunny glad Beamette is doin' better and hope Beamer gets over his cold soonest without spreadin' the joy to others.

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think you said sump'n dirty.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:13 PM

its going to be weird weather wise here this week as its supposed to be somewhat sunny one day cold and rainy the next ..

enjoying the peace and quiet whilst cousin is away...sort of hoping she just comes and gets her stuff ad moves there one day ....

other than sitting on the phone with la county officialdom and starting up the gym again its gonna be a slow day
Old 02-11-2019, 03:14 PM

I'm being forced into seeing dawn daily while on this placement- this morning's was almost pretty enough to be worth it, as it's a proper scenic drive for some bits and it wasn't overcast for once, but I generally prefer dusk, as it happens at a much more civilised hour.

I don't think I've ever deliberately got up to see the sun rise, though I did stay up on New Year's in Australia to watch it once, along with a bunch of other people, including a group of chanting Tibetan monks. It was at a festival, and I doubt I would have got much sleep if I'd tried anyway.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
I'm not sure, but I think you said sump'n dirty.
But I'm a Turtle!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I cleared a path from the front door to Mrs. L.A.'s RAV4. She'll have to get the snow off of it herself. It has 4WD, so she can back out of the driveway. The snow is cleared off of the Prius, and it's been warmed up. It ain't goin' anywhere though. There's no way it can back out through the snow. I swept the snow off of the Jeep's windows and warmed it up. Then I mashed a path with it so the mail truck can reach the mailbox. I think I'll take a lunch break, put some pants on, and go get Mrs. L.A. some soup.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I cleared a path from the front door to Mrs. L.A.'s RAV4. She'll have to get the snow off of it herself. It has 4WD, so she can back out of the driveway. The snow is cleared off of the Prius, and it's been warmed up. It ain't goin' anywhere though. There's no way it can back out through the snow. I swept the snow off of the Jeep's windows and warmed it up. Then I mashed a path with it so the mail truck can reach the mailbox. I think I'll take a lunch break, put some pants on, and go get Mrs. L.A. some soup.
So you were outside clearing snow in your skivies?!?!?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
But I'm a Turtle!
Since there is no evidence that you are teenage or a mutant, I am skeptical...

Just completed my taxes (or in this case, TurboTax completed them as I entered the data) and sent them off electronically to the Feds and Ali-bama. Should get a fairly hefty chunk of change back, which beats last year when I converted my Mutual fund to an Annuity and had to pay capital gains...ouch. This year should just about pay for my planned vacation. Of course, if the Gub'mint shuts down again...

Dishes are washed and lunch consumed. All is right with the world.

Sunny, hope Beamette is doing better...and Beamer's cold doesn't get any worse.

Juliet, if you want to live in Wisconsin, ya gotta pay your dues...

Shady, hope the living arrangements settle down, and if I may ask, what do you and LA County have to discuss?

Johnny, way too much information... And let me get this straight--did you clean and clear the paths and cars outside and then put your pants on?

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 02-11-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 PM

The east facing wall in the master bedroom of our new abode is mostly windows, so the gathering light of daybreak generally wakes me up (this time of year that happens 'bout 7:15ish most mornings 'round here). I've been fortunate enough to see some quite exquisite ones in the last few weeks! I have taken some pics, but don't have an online site to post them - y'all's loss!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So you were outside clearing snow in your skivies?!?!?
Oh, yeah, I'm a bad-ass!

Actually, I was in my telecommuting attire -- jammies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Since there is no evidence that you are teenage or a mutant, I am skeptical...
Ancient and Honorable Order of Turtles
Quote:
[A]n honorable drinking fraternity composed of ladies and gentlemen of the highest morals and good character, who are never vulgar.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

I took the hummingbird feeder in once to thaw, and I've just brought it in again for same.

I swept the deck where snow drifted in overnight, and put out a pie tin with some bird seed in it. We've had a couple of sparrows (one of them rather plump), and a couple of chickadees.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:23 PM

changing my home worker person and fixing my healthcare before ssa takes the 200+ for Medicare out of next months check because "hong kong phooey" aka the worker im assigned for the state part dosent know how to read a bank of America bank statement
Old 02-11-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I took the hummingbird feeder in once to thaw, and I've just brought it in again for same.

I swept the deck where snow drifted in overnight, and put out a pie tin with some bird seed in it. We've had a couple of sparrows (one of them rather plump), and a couple of chickadees.
hmmm trading sand for snow nope not gonna happen .sands stillwarmer
Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Well, it's not morning, but I made it! It's been one of those days. FCD's procedure was fine, but while we were there, daughter had to take SIL to the Dr, and then to the hospital for some tests. Since we were close, she brought Roxy to us and I did the grandmother thing till 3-ish when they finally got back. (Doc's couldn't figure out why SIL keeps getting dizzy.)

I had a chance to do a little design modification for FCD, then I threw together a meh-ish supper. Daughter has class, SIL is playing hooky tonight and tending to Roxy. I'm doing my morning intrarwebz surfing this evening. I'll be glad to get back to work to relax a bit.

These days, I don't see the sun rise - I'm in a windowless office at the appointed hour. In the summer, I'm sometimes blinded by it as I'm heading to work. Weekends I'm either lying abed or busy inside, so I don't see the sun come up.

When we used to sail a lot, I'd love to get up early, especially when we were at anchor, and sit on deck, watching the day start. It's been years since I did that. On our last cruise, I was up for sunrise a few times, but no photos, not that it matters - I'm a lousy photographer.

Anyway, Happy Moanday!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 PM

This time of year, the sun is rising about the time I'm taking a shower.

When I camped, I used to enjoy sitting outside in a lawn chair with a cup o' joe and watch the sun come up. I especially enjoyed that in the mountains.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:01 PM

Supper has been consumed. Also talked to brother and he is doing well, in various therapies, but still not allowed to drive and you can hear him grasping for a particular word now and then, something he never used to do. I'll probably go up there for a couple days next week to get an eyes-on view, but sounds like he's recovering nicely.

FCM, hope SIL finds out the reasons for being dizzy...lots of things can cause that. Just keeping up with you would do me in...

Otherwise life is good.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Well it was one hell of a birthday. the canes lost(in part thanks to the refs sponsored by the New Jersey Mafia). Then I had to go down to the jail with a lady friend of mine, to bail out her roommate. And then one of the motion sensors at work tripped at 0230m, so I got no sleep last night. At least I'm off tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 64 Amurrkin out and foggy (well, dark) with a predicted high of 77 and rain/tstorms/apocalypse predicted for this afternoon. We shall see. Today is laundry day. I have a poke roast in the slow cooker. It shall get shredded and turned into bbq for tonight's sup which shall be bbq sammiches, coleslaw and baked beans. Fart fest to follow. I have no intentions of leavin' da cave today. Nowhere I need or want to be. Vestry meetin' went well and we were out of there at seven-thirty last night. I was abed an hour later as I was tahrd.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Tuesday Y'all!
Old 02-12-2019, 06:35 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

If this morning is any indication, it's gonna be a lousy day.

I started out by whacking two of my toes on the bench at the end of our bed. It's only been sitting there for years, dammit! I forgot to do the cat box yesterday, so it was extra full today. And it was raining, which makes for an annoying commute. And because I was running late, I didn't get my parking spot, so I had to walk farther in the rain. Dammit.

It's gotta get better, right?

Happy Tuesday, I guess...
Old 02-12-2019, 07:17 AM

Happy Toosday!

It's raining, supposed to rain all day.
It's only 32 degrees outside, so it's freezing rain, but as it warms up it will be plain old rain.
Either way, I don't have to go out and so I won't.

My son will have to go out at some point and bring in the table. I'm not sure how water proof the cover on the bed of the truck is and I don't want the table ruined.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:25 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Oh, yeah, my Medicare card came in the mail yesterday. And at the start of next year, I'll be getting Social Security. Guess I'm getting old, huh?
Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 AM

Happy Tuesday. Weather report: still snowing. Supposed to get another foot by the end of the day. And it's windy, blowing all of that stuff around.

Juliet Jr. has a snow day today (again). I think they've missed on average one day a week since they came back from winter break. There were a couple weeks with none, but another week with 3. But Romeo was scheduled to have today off, so he's home with both of the kiddos. Cooped up inside in the snow. Not sure if I'd rather be him or rather be at work. It would be nice to have the day off, but those kids can get mighty squirrely.

Either way, I'm at work today. Trying to get answers to questions, trying to make sense of a massive machine. Such is the life.

I'm almost maybe a tiny bit looking forward to having Thursday afternoon off to go to the dentist. But then I remember that it's the dentist and I am petrified of the dentist. But it's only a cleaning... so not as scary?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:12 AM

It was a better day, today.

Inspired by the movie Bohemian Rhapsody, I had my kindergarten kids doing the stomp, stomp clap rhythm today in class while we practiced some English. Even four year old kids love that.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Supper has been consumed.
I can never remember: Is 'supper' lunch, or dinner?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now that I've had (a totally inadequate amount of) caffeine, I've decided 'supper' is dinner. ISTR reading once, decades ago, that in some dialects lunch is called 'dinner' and dinner is called 'supper'.

I don't remember ever hearing anyone use 'supper' in real life; only in movies and such.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
Fart fest to follow. I have no intentions of leavin' da cave today.
Swampy, I watched Yogi Bear, I liked Yogi Bear. Yogi Bear was smarter than the av-er-age bear. Swampy, you're no Yogi Bear.

Snow (ending) turning to sleet & freezing rain & then, eventually, rain. Car can't be crashed safely parked in the garage on a residential street. I'm WFH today.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Paging Swampbear...Paging Mr. Swampbear!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Snow (ending) turning to sleet & freezing rain & then, eventually, rain. Car can't be crashed safely parked in the garage on a residential street. I'm WFH today.
I think for my exercise today, I might dig out the Prius. I seriously doubt it can be moved, but at least I can make the effort.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Now that I've had (a totally inadequate amount of) caffeine, I've decided 'supper' is dinner. ISTR reading once, decades ago, that in some dialects lunch is called 'dinner' and dinner is called 'supper'.

I don't remember ever hearing anyone use 'supper' in real life; only in movies and such.
It's a regionalism. In most of the country, they are used fairly interchangeably. (ETA: scroll down for map) But on the west coast, "dinner" is used almost exclusively.

In my house, it's usually referred to as "supper." As in, "Kids, get your butts in here! It's supper time!" or "Stop climbing on my while I try to make supper!" However, I call the room we eat in "the dining room."

Last edited by Serenata67; 02-12-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
That's because you never ate the evening meal with my family. Dinner was when you dined out. Supper was at home. You never went out for supper - you went out for dinner. That's what I grew up with, so it must be right.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
ISTR reading once, decades ago, that in some dialects lunch is called 'dinner' and dinner is called 'supper'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenata67 View Post
It's a regionalism. In most of the country, they are used fairly interchangeably.
From the link: '“Dinner” is lunch when it is at home and at school, or a home-like establishment (e.g. nursing home).'

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenata67 View Post
But on the west coast, "dinner" is used almost exclusively.
Born 'in L.A.', raised in San Diego, teens and 20s in northern L.A. County.

Last edited by Johnny L.A.; 02-12-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Howdy. I have been AWOL. I'm back. Busy, busy time and short of help..I have a packet of eight for a full time spot and one of them is the girl that already works here so filling it with her won't help me manpower wise. My least favorite duty.

Happy new week. No sunrises for me lately.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. Off today. It's cold and drizzly, and i have errands to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
It's gotta get better, right?
Just look on the bright side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
That's because you never ate the evening meal with my family. Dinner was when you dined out. Supper was at home. You never went out for supper - you went out for dinner. That's what I grew up with, so it must be right.

Just had to Shire this:
7:00am Breakfast.
9:00am Second Breakfast.
11:00am Elevenses.
1:00pm Luncheon.
4:00pm Afternoon Tea.
6:00pm Dinner.
8:00pm Supper.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Well, since I usually eat only two meals a day (one around 10-11am and the other around 6pm), I guess it's my 'evening' meal. But I tend to use it like FCM says; supper is something at home, dinner is used when dining out, but both terms are in my lexicon.

Like other folks, its' raining here and looks to be rainy all day. 57F outside, but according to the weather folks, that's as high as it's going to get today.

Butters, have fun hiring; one reason I never wanted a 'boss' job. And even tougher with someone already on the staff--if you choose them then you have to go through the time and effort to fill their slot, but if you don't pick them, you have a disgruntled employee (says Captain Obvious). Have fun...

TB, so the kids were rockin'?

All y'all take care.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

I swept part of the covered part of the deck, and put out the bird seed. I thought I heard a hummingbird, so I'll have to hang up the feeder. One of the sparrows (that's what I'm calling them -- I don't actually know what they are) seems to have an injured right leg. It was standing on one leg yesterday, and I thought it was just cold. Today, I wonder if it's actually injured. It's eating, anyway. The birds with the all-black heads are apparently juncos. The ones with the black-and-white heads are black-capped chickadees.