Old 01-18-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
They don't drive much being chained in the house, nor do they need much room.
But the parents drive and someone has to pay for the matching sister wives -style haute couture and rent/mortgage. Feeding your brood, even if just once a day, takes appreciable moola.

As would maintenance of pop's deranged sexxxy kangaroo 'do.

Last edited by Jennshark; 01-18-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehearingaid View Post
What I find very disturbing is none of the neighbors did anything when they saw all kind of strange things going on in the house !
Y'know y'know, growing up there were a couple of freaky families in the general neighborhood. If someone can be abusive to their own children, how do you think they might treat a meddling neighbor? In our case, trying to be friendly got a pistol pointed at us. So, unless you want to get on freak-ass neighbor's bad side, and turn it into a an ongoing battle zone, you keep to yourself.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:37 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
But the parents drive and someone has to pay for the matching sister wives -style haute couture and rent/mortgage. Feeding your brood, even if just once a day, takes appreciable moola.

Perhaps they get a lower price for buying clothing in bulk. Make the girls do the alterations. Take in sewing for them. They are underfed. I don't know the cost on that. Baloney instead of cheeseburgers and pizza.
I think the Cap'n cut is done with a soup bowl.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:33 AM

This just keeps getting worse and worse and I fear we are nowhere near the bottom.

All the kids' names start with J. Gee, where have we seen that before?

Some of the kids didn't know what a police officer was. The youngest is not malnourished. Thank Og for small favors. The father has also been charged with one count of a lewd attack on a minor. Yeah, I'm sure there was only the one instance.

They were allowed to shower once a year, punished for washing their hands (the sperm and egg donor called that "playing with water") but, interestingly enough, were allowed to keep journals. In the words of Lt. Joe Kenda, "I want to read those."

I also think California is going to have to look into the licensing of home schools.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
... (the sperm and egg donor called that "playing with water") ...
I am afraid to acknowledge the "parents" may be that in name only for some of them. Perhaps DNA tests will unravel who's kid is who's, biologically speaking. It reminds me of the Fritzl case.

Also, as some have already alluded, there may be dead ones buried at the home in CA and the one in TX. I agree, we have not reached the bottom of this depravity.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Decades ago I read Bob Greene's article on the Lattie McGee case, and it will stay with me forever. If you're interested, you can google it, but it's so damn horrible that I still get angry when I think of it.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
All the kids' names start with J. Gee, where have we seen that before?
I don't know. Where?
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Meet the Duggar family: Joshua, Jana, John-David, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johannah, Jennifer, Jordyn-Grace and Josie.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Decades ago I read Bob Greene's article on the Lattie McGee case, and it will stay with me forever. If you're interested, you can google it, but it's so damn horrible that I still get angry when I think of it.
Good God. I could only get two paragraphs into that story.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I sort of wonder what made the two kids who escaped (well, one who escaped and one who was going to but chickened out) know what to do, where to go, how to do it, and gave them the basic premise that "this whole situation is fucked up".

The family couldn't completely shut out the outside world but they tried their darndest to do it. I'm so curious about what it was that sparked this kid into action!
Old 01-19-2018, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Meet the Duggar family: Joshua, Jana, John-David, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johannah, Jennifer, Jordyn-Grace and Josie.
Ah. I pay zero attention to infotainment.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post

The family couldn't completely shut out the outside world but they tried their darndest to do it. I'm so curious about what it was that sparked this kid into action!
I believe it took her two years to get up the courage to act.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Food stamps would go a long way if you don't feed the kids.

StG
Old 01-19-2018, 05:29 PM

The people who bought the Texas house, who did not want to appear on camera, had to rip out the carpet and replace much of the drywall, and found scratches on the inside of some of the closet doors. They were told that it was from dogs, and they had no reason until now to believe otherwise.

If that 82-pound 29-year-old was the mother of the 2-year-old, that would have had to be an extremely difficult pregnancy.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I sort of wonder what made the two kids who escaped (well, one who escaped and one who was going to but chickened out) know what to do, where to go, how to do it, and gave them the basic premise that "this whole situation is fucked up".

This whole thing reminds me, in a way, of some of the people who were raised in Scientology with little or no exposure to the "real" world.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:17 PM

It is just creepy as hell. How do these people get away with crap so long and have 13 kids? If they don't want kids, why did they continue make them? I wonder if they were born in the hospital?

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-19-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
It is just creepy as hell. How do these people get away with crap so long and have 13 kids? If they don't want kids, why did they continue make them? I wonder if they were born in the hospital?
If they were born at home and home schooled, I wonder if the government knows about them.. Probably, to get food stamps and tax deductions.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

I'm officially against capital punishment and all, but some people just need to be lit on fire.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
I'm officially against capital punishment and all, but some people just need to be lit on fire.
Well said.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:04 PM

^^+2
Old 01-19-2018, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, but that establishes your basic legal precedent. Next it's murders, robbers, and guys named Carnivorousplant who run stop signs.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
See post #32.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

This reminds me of the Collingswood, NJ, case, from 14 or so years ago. Four adopted boys, all severely malnourished. The abuse was discovered when a neighbor found the oldest rummaging in the neighbor's garbage at 3 in the morning. That wasn't as bad as this case, though.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
This reminds me of the Collingswood, NJ, case, from 14 or so years ago. Four adopted boys, all severely malnourished. The abuse was discovered when a neighbor found the oldest rummaging in the neighbor's garbage at 3 in the morning. That wasn't as bad as this case, though.
Aaaand that was already posted, which I somehow missed as I was scrolling down the page.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:55 PM

Academics are going to want to look at those journals too. I do hope some good will come out of this godawful mess, but those children are going to have a long road to recovery.

First off, I hope they get to eat all the pumpkin pie they want.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:11 PM

Non cult people are strangely oblivious sometimes. Asking 'why' the parents encouraged the kids to write when it created a record of their crimes.

They let them write because they don't think they have done anything wrong. I'm willing to bet actual money that they STILL don't think they've done anything wrong and they're just being persecuted for their faith.

Those poor damn kids.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Food stamps would go a long way if you don't feed the kids.

StG
These seem like folks who abhor government interference. I doubt the parents would try to get gov aid.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:28 PM

I think they would accept food stamps and aid as a way to stick it to the man. Those weird Mormons under that Warren Jeffs got food stamps and wic, and probably EBT.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:38 PM

It seems Sperm Donor kidnapped Egg Donor when she was 16.

There's a whole lot of twisted going on there. She didn't even attend her parents' funerals. Could she be some sort of a victim too?
Old 01-20-2018, 08:43 PM

Someone on another board posted a British link to unaltered pictures of the kids, which included their names and approximate ages, and included a little bit about the mother's background. According to this story, her father was a freelance "minister" who beat and raped her mother in front of the kids, and he looked scarier than any of the people in THIS story.

I won't post that link because it had references to psyops and some other really wonky stuff.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:49 PM

When the neighbors said that they sometimes saw the kids lined up, oldest to youngest, it reminded me of this. People who lived in this city said he was quite well-known for doing the same thing whenever they went out in public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Wesson

Warning: graphic content.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I think they would accept food stamps and aid as a way to stick it to the man. Those weird Mormons under that Warren Jeffs got food stamps and wic, and probably EBT.
They call it "bleeding the beast."
Old 01-20-2018, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I disagree. There hasn't been a good drawing and quartering in ages. More time to sell ads.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
My parents and us six kids all have "J" names . . .
Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Pictures of their house in Fort Worth.

I imagine there will be investigation at that location too.
When this story first broke, I kept thinking the mom looked familiar.

Iím in Ft. Worth and Iím wondering if I saw her. At one point...?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

I saw something about police considering bringing dogs in to look for bodies.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
My parents and us six kids all have "J" names . . .
But did they isolate you from people who didn't follow their exact same religious beliefs, and go on reality TV to pay the bills?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:53 PM

My 3 sisters all have 'C' names. I have a 'B' name. I am officially on the b-team. I think maybe they didn't tell me all the cult stuff the other kids got. I feel left out, for some insane reason.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Someone on another board posted a British link to unaltered pictures of the kids, which included their names and approximate ages, and included a little bit about the mother's background. According to this story, her father was a freelance "minister" who beat and raped her mother in front of the kids, and he looked scarier than any of the people in THIS story.

I won't post that link because it had references to psyops and some other really wonky stuff.
I don't get your reluctance to post the link. We're grown-ups here, and have seen lots of wonky stuff in our lives.

??
Old 01-22-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I saw something about police considering bringing dogs in to look for bodies.
Sequential thread titles! (Really!)

This thread and: Human bones found in back yard
Old 01-22-2018, 09:56 AM

I'd really like to know what went so horribly wrong in that home. How the parents progressed from being secretive and loners to starving the kids and physically chaining some of them.

That's such a twisted journey into a rabbit hole and insanity.

I guess finances were part of the problem. Refusing to let them bathe may have been an attempt to keep the water bill low. Restricting them to one meal a day may have been another cost savings. The measures the parents took are unbelievably extreme and evil.

Tight finances are certainly no excuse for such appalling neglect. There are social programs that can provide aid. The mother and older children could take jobs to help bring money into the household. A family of 15 needs multiple incomes.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-22-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM

Also, bath water can be reused. Saving substantially on the water bill. Imagine what 15 showers a day would cost.

That was very, very common in rural households when water was hauled to the house in buckets and heated on a wood store. Wood you had to chop and split.

Several family members used that tub of hot bath water because they had too. It took a lot of work to prepare that tub of water. I remember older relatives reminiscing about Sat night baths and the work required.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-22-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
My 3 sisters all have 'C' names. I have a 'B' name.
So you are a b-word and all three of your sisters are a c-word?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
So you are a b-word and all three of your sisters are a c-word?
That's pretty much the size of it! Another sad outcome of my name, my initials were 'B.M.' when I married my initials are' now 'B.S.'
It's the story of my shitty life!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I guess finances were part of the problem. Refusing to let them bathe may have been an attempt to keep the water bill low. Restricting them to one meal a day may have been another cost savings. The measures the parents took are unbelievably extreme and evil.
You're joking, right? Attributing any part of this to tight finances is ridiculous. There wouldn't be any need for them to worry about an expensive water bill if they'd simply allowed their adult children to grow up and get jobs.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
You're joking, right? Attributing any part of this to tight finances is ridiculous. There wouldn't be any need for them to worry about an expensive water bill if they'd simply allowed their adult children to grow up and get jobs.
It's not much of an explanation for the ropes and chains, either. Or the midnight marching. Or the psychological torture, e.g. putting a pie on the counter and teasing them about not being allowed to eat it.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:12 AM

Did you bother to actually read my post?

I mentioned the wife and older children getting jobs as an option in the next paragraph.

I'm trying to understand how in the hell things went so horribly wrong. A childhood friend in Texas played with these kids until 2010. The family was weird and secretive. But the kids were allowed outside to play.

Things got much worse after they left Texas. A bankruptcy has been reported. Obviously they were in financial trouble.

What made them take such insane measures. Why in the hell didn't they find jobs for the wife and older kids? Starving them is certainly not a solution.

People have reasons for their actions. No matter how sick or twisted. People don't just wake up abd say, hey lets chain the kids to the bed and starve them. It takes a sequence of events to get to that level of depravity.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-22-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Several family members used that tub of hot bath water...
Five-second clip.

Not in the clip:

RICK: Do you want that bath water or not? You haven't got much of a choice, actually, because there's no more hot water.

NEIL: Well, it's a bit cloudy, Rick.

[We see a shot of a disgustingly dirty tub, filled with horrible, thick black sludge]

RICK: Well, don't look at me Neil. Vyvyan had the bath before me and Mike had it before him, and anyway Neil, the whole thing is left over from the bath you had last Tuesday. So stop being so bloody picky; that's your filth!

(Full episode, 'Nasty', in case anyone is interested. Not sure why it doesn't start from the beginning on preview.)
Old 01-22-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
People have reasons for their actions. No matter how sick or twisted. People don't just wake up abd say, hey lets chain the kids to the bed and starve them. It takes a sequence of events to get to that level of depravity.
Look, I sympathize with your attempt to make rational sense of this. But nothing about this is rational. If there is a reason behind this, it's not a reason that is accessible to non-pathological people. We could speculate that they were more concerned about keeping a water bill low than having their home not smell like a death camp, but there's as much evidence for that as them believing their children were demon-spawn deserving of punishment. I actually think the latter idea is more plausible.

I'm a fairly imaginative person and yet I lack the capacity to imagine what life must've been like in that household. And I'm really relieved about that.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Remember that the parents are irrational. A normal couple might have applied for an EBT card (i.e. food stamps), but these people aren't normal. Who knows what their thought processes were?

A neighbor said he saw the kids one night laying new sod in the front yard. I hope the police use cadaver dogs to do a full search of the property.