Old 01-16-2020, 11:16 PM

JC, Mark Warnings Clearer

This one. Might want to mark it more clearly as an official warning (which it is), rather than the ambiguous "The Moderatator Speaks" crap.

Not for me (who gets the PM) but so everyone else knows either accusing someone of sealioning or parroting (or both?) is considered a warnable offence in GD.

Note this isn't an objection to my warning, just a pointer towards clearer moderation.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:46 AM

Seconded. I had no idea that post got a warning until now. Clear moderation is always better, and I'll add that this goes for notes, too -- "enough of that" and similar sort of vague instruction often doesn't provide enough information (in addition to, IMO, sounding unprofessional and school-marm-ish). I recommend clear instruction like "this looks to me like it's crossing the line into [X behavior... i.e. insults, trolling, etc.] -- any subsequent posts along this line will receive a warning". Or similar. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

You may not see this title on your phone

Yes, please. Also, I know someone posted before that depending on the skin being used and whether you are viewing in portrait or landscape, posters may not see the title of the post. So I did not see the "The Moderator Speaks" title when viewing on my phone.

Include your moderation tags in the post. Be clear in the moderating post what the result and expectation are, i.e. a warning or note for the poster, a reminder to all to keep it civil, a reminder that staff are cutting down on hijacks, whatever.

Thanks from a lurker.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:22 AM
born to be shunned

Agreed; I would have certainly missed that in a general read of the thread and possibly run afoul later on.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post
Yes, please. Also, I know someone posted before that depending on the skin being used and whether you are viewing in portrait or landscape, posters may not see the title of the post. So I did not see the "The Moderator Speaks" title when viewing on my phone.

Include your moderation tags in the post. Be clear in the moderating post what the result and expectation are, i.e. a warning or note for the poster, a reminder to all to keep it civil, a reminder that staff are cutting down on hijacks, whatever.

Thanks from a lurker.
Yeah, I can’t see “The Moderator Speaks” from my phone and now that you mentioned it, I’ve never seen it so didn’t even know it existed.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:59 PM

Wow, I never realized I wasn't seeing titles on my phone. Yeah, probably best not to use that for official purposes.

Last edited by Do Not Taunt; 01-17-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I was surprised to see that not get a warning. Maybe it'd be a good idea to go back and edit the post to make the warning explicit for others to see?

On the other hand, thanks for not fucking around.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:42 PM

But even those of you who can't see the titles, you can still hear Jonathan Chance speaking, though, right? Or is that just me?
Old 01-17-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borborygmi View Post
But even those of you who can't see the titles, you can still hear Jonathan Chance speaking, though, right? Or is that just me?
Without surcease. I can no longer sleep because of the spectral tones of his voice in my ears. I would deafen myself, except for the terror that his voice would continue to resonate in my mind.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 01-17-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:38 PM

I can no longer not hear him speaking.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:33 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I’m RIGHT here.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
This one. Might want to mark it more clearly as an official warning (which it is), rather than the ambiguous "The Moderatator Speaks" crap.

Not for me (who gets the PM) but so everyone else knows either accusing someone of sealioning or parroting (or both?) is considered a warnable offence in GD.

Note this isn't an objection to my warning, just a pointer towards clearer moderation.
But was it a warning, or just a note to go take a shower and cool off? Can't speak for everyone but I've been warned - like obviously warned - and told to hit the showers and cool off, and there's a difference, with the latter not being yellow carded.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:51 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
Wow, I never realized I wasn't seeing titles on my phone. Yeah, probably best not to use that for official purposes.
And, I've got to admit, I've never noticed it either.

Color it is, then.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I was surprised to see that not get a warning. Maybe it'd be a good idea to go back and edit the post to make the warning explicit for others to see?

On the other hand, thanks for not fucking around.
Bad link. Did you mean to go here:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...8&postcount=61
Old 01-18-2020, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
But was it a warning, or just a note to go take a shower and cool off?
It was an official, on-the-record warning. You get a separate PM and an entry in your User CP infractions list, with those.

JC, you still haven't answered my PM question, BTW. In a PM, please.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Yup. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Seconded. I had no idea that post got a warning until now. Clear moderation is always better, and I'll add that this goes for notes, too -- "enough of that" and similar sort of vague instruction often doesn't provide enough information (in addition to, IMO, sounding unprofessional and school-marm-ish). I recommend clear instruction like "this looks to me like it's crossing the line into [X behavior... i.e. insults, trolling, etc.] -- any subsequent posts along this line will receive a warning". Or similar. Hopefully that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post
Yes, this is the way to provide clear moderation.