Old 01-18-2020, 09:18 PM

National Archives doctors photo to remove Trump criticism

This is bad even though they admitted it and will use the real photo.

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/01...s-apology.html
Old 01-19-2020, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
This is bad even though they admitted it and will use the real photo.

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/01...s-apology.html
Quote:
What’s interesting is that the decision to “Photoshop” the signs was reportedly made during the development of the exhibit by a team that included David S. Ferriero, the Obama-appointed head of the National Archives.

“As a non-partisan, non-political federal agency, we blurred references to the President’s name on some posters, so as not to engage in current political controversy,” Archives spokeswoman Miriam Kleiman tells the Post. “Our mission is to safeguard and provide access to the nation’s most important federal records, and our exhibits are one way in which we connect the American people to those records. Modifying the image was an attempt on our part to keep the focus on the records.

“We do not alter images or documents that are displayed as artifacts in exhibitions. In this case, the image is part of a promotional display, not an artifact.”
https://petapixel.com/2020/01/18/nat...ical-of-trump/

I think that is fairly reasonable. Imagine a great picture of the 1963 March on Washington but there's one guy with a placard that says "Fuck Kennedy!" There's kids that are going to see the picture, and the purpose of the picture isn't to degrade Kennedy (or as she stated to preserve a completely authentic picture), so what do you do?

I can see the argument for keeping the picture as is or not displaying it at all. I can also see a reasonable argument for altering the picture for the purposes that the spokeswoman stated. I don't think this is some grand design to protect Trump.

If they used this as promotional material and kept it unaltered, there would be complaints of young children seeing the words "pussy" and "vagina" on the giant picture, and more complaints that they were engaged in a political hit job on Trump as they did not display rallies that were approving of the President. Really a no-win situation.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

But... the edited picture kept the word “fuck” fully readable, but blurred the word “Trump.” Your concern for the children makes no sense.

The director of NARA should resign.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

My apologies, I misremembered the picture. Other vulgar words were indeed edited out.

The boss should still resign.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:48 AM

Doesn't matter that the guy was appointed by Obama it's still a big mistake.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
“We do not alter images or documents that are displayed as artifacts in exhibitions. In this case, the image is part of a promotional display, not an artifact.”
That's not a reasonable distinction.

I'd say this guy's head should roll, but this being the Trump era, odds are overwhelming that his replacement would be a total Trump stooge who'd be happy to alter as much of the historical record as necessary to please Dear Leader.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:18 AM

amazing Trump did not fire the guy when he took office but maybe now he will since he has an excuse to use. Or maybe the guy is a Trump donor.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 01-19-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:26 AM

"Alterations included removing the president's name from a sign that read "Trump & GOP — Hands Off Women", and blurring out the word "vagina", the newspaper reported.
In a statement to the Washington Post, spokeswoman Miriam Kleiman said the National Archives, as a "non-partisan, non-political federal agency", had blurred the president's name "so as not to engage in current political controversy".
The decision to blur references to women's genitals was made because the words could be perceived as inappropriate to students and young people visiting the museum, it said.
The American Civil Liberties Union hit out at the move to alter the image, saying: "The government can't airbrush history or erase women's bodies from it. It is the job of the National Archives to document history, not alter it to serve the president's ego."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51165023
Old 01-19-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

So, one person on the team was an Obama appointee? And how many were Trump appointees, and did that one Obama appointee have any part in this decision?

And "provide records without engaging in political controversy"? The political controversy is what they're providing records of.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:03 AM

I've explained to our son that "vagina" is not a dirty word but he still needs a different name for his hamster.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I'd say this guy's head should roll, but this being the Trump era, odds are overwhelming that his replacement would be a total Trump stooge who'd be happy to alter as much of the historical record as necessary to please Dear Leader.
Trump U doctorate, utility belt full of Sharpies?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:53 AM

Paging Mr. Orwell, Mr. George Orwell.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I think that is fairly reasonable. Imagine a great picture of the 1963 March on Washington but there's one guy with a placard that says "Fuck Kennedy!" There's kids that are going to see the picture, and the purpose of the picture isn't to degrade Kennedy (or as she stated to preserve a completely authentic picture), so what do you do?
What exactly is everyone fearful of happening if kids see and/or hear the word “fuck”? Will their heads explode, killing them? Will they turn into demons? Stop eating vegetables?
Old 01-19-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
What exactly is everyone fearful of happening if kids see and/or hear the word “fuck”? Will their heads explode, killing them? Will they turn into demons? Stop eating vegetables?
They might vote for a liberal when they turn 18!
Old 01-19-2020, 11:12 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Or worse yet, they may start to engage in dancing critical thinking!
Old 01-19-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A co-worker once told me a story about catching his son listening to rap music, saying "I told him I didn't want that kind of fucking language in my house."

I suggested he might be sending his son mixed signals.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
Or worse yet, they may start to engage in dancing critical thinking!
Yes, philosophical discussions often break out when 11 year old boys see the words "fuck" and "pussy".
Old 01-19-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
According to George Carlin, it will "infect your soul, curve your spine, and keep the country from winning the war."
Old 01-19-2020, 12:17 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Not really about the horse race. Off to GD.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:35 PM

So, you know that one photo of Stalin with a few political friends that, over time, turned into a photo of Stalin period ?
Yes, that.

ETA : also, when government agencies knowingly publish fakes ; who the hell can one trust ?

Last edited by Kobal2; 01-19-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
So, you know that one photo of Stalin with a few political friends that, over time, turned into a photo of Stalin period ?
Yes, that.
I've read that the Soviet censors intentionally did a less than perfect job when they were altering photographs. You couldn't tell what had been removed by looking at the retouched pictures but you could see that something had been removed.

The government wanted people to know what it was doing. It wanted to warn potential opponents that the government was capable of not only killing them but also of erasing them from records after their death. They wanted people to know they were rewriting history.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Ah, but that edited photo was not part of the formal collection of the Soviet archives. It was just a promotional photo... or something.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:03 PM

I don't necessarily agree with their decision, but I can see why they might have done it. They were kind of in a no win situation. Their goal was to promote their show without getting bogged down in the partisan political crossfire that permeates out everything. If they left it in, then every right wing new outlet would jump on the story that leftist deepstaters have taken over the national archives are engaged in a partisan operation to take down Trump, to be followed by presidential tweet and senate investigation of their department, and firing of whomever authorized the photo. It's probably better odds to hope that no one notices the omission than to hope that no one notices the inclusion.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
They were kind of in a no win situation. Their goal was to promote their show without getting bogged down in the partisan political crossfire that permeates out everything.
Then simply don't display that image at all. Pick a different image that is relevant to what is being archived. Don't censor an image in your display, as that communicates that your archive is also going to be censored.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Then simply don't display that image at all. Pick a different image that is relevant to what is being archived. Don't censor an image in your display, as that communicates that your archive is also going to be censored.
I agree with this. Or they could label it as being NSFW and display it.