Old 02-02-2020, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Great game all the same, well done to the Chiefs.
Seconded!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:15 PM

Yeah this was a great game. So much better than last year. Both teams did well, but one managed to surge late and win it. It’s practically the opposite of last year which was a competition of which side was going to be less terrible.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:16 PM

Wellp - I don't quite know what the hell happened there in the 4th quarter. I thought for sure after that 2nd Mahomes pick that the "Chefs" were doomed. I was then exiled from my T.V. room and next thing I knew the "Chefs" were up by 4. Congratulations to the Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, et al. It's been a LOOOOOONG wait for them to lift the Lombardi Trophy, again.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Great game! Congrats Chiefs!

It's been a good year for Missouri teams to break fifty year droughts.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 02-02-2020, 09:29 PM

That 44-yard pass to Hill on 3rd-and-15 was the decisive point of the game. Kansas City was trailing by ten points in the fourth quarter. A sack or incompletion there and the Chiefs were probably cooked for good.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:36 PM

Iím happy to see the Chiefs win, and for Andy Reid to get his Super Bowl victory. I especially enjoyed seeing how he managed the clock on the last Chiefs possession given his reputation for blowing games due to poor clock management .
Old 02-02-2020, 09:37 PM

You can't give up on an NFL game like you could in the past. The passing game is so accurate and sophisticated that you have to assume that the losing team still has a chance even if they're 10-15 points down.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:42 PM

Trivia: with this result (if I am very much mistaken) the A-side has come even with the N-side with 27 wins each (though it looks like the N-side leads on the spread by 7).
Old 02-02-2020, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

I lay down to go to bed, when it was 20-10 against the Chiefs. I'm in Topeka, about 60? miles away from KC, so everyone is Chiefs fans.

Not too much later I start heariing fireworks going off, all OVER, so I get up to peek outside, wondering what's going on. I turn the TV back on and see that yet again KC has come from behind and it's the Chiefs 10 points ahead.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Don't get me wrong: I can do without the Harbaugh intensity. I had a major debate with some Bay Area peeps back in 2014 when he left. They said "ZOMG! Harbaugh's out, Jed York's the devil!" I agreed Harbaugh was a great coach but not as great as he believed he was. Harbaugh gets on everyone's nerves after year 3, which is why I think this might be his last year in Ann Arbor. He might pull a Lane Kiffin and coach at some rinky dink school like Delaware and turn in a 9-2 or 19-1 season and play the Pinstripe Bowl, but he can't handle big time.

Mindless rant over.
Off topic but his team keeps losing to that of THE Ohio State University and generally in embarrassing fashion. As long as that keeps happening he can stay there as long as he wants to as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I lay down to go to bed, when it was 20-10 against the Chiefs. I'm in Topeka, about 60? miles away from KC, so everyone is Chiefs fans.

Not too much later I start heariing fireworks going off, all OVER, so I get up to peek outside, wondering what's going on. I turn the TV back on and see that yet again KC has come from behind and it's the Chiefs 10 points ahead.
Yeah, the 49ers team that dominated in the first half of the season and again in the N.F.C. portion of the playoffs disappeared at the end of the game. Oh, well.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:11 PM

I live in Kansas City and there are fireworks going off everywhere!
Old 02-02-2020, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Nice. I had no skin in the game, but was pulling for the Chiefs for ... I don't even know why. Part of me would have been happy for Robbie Gould to get a well-deserved Super Bowl ring but, I dunno. I just was empathizing with KC more. Must be some Midwestern thing. Anyhow, fun game. And to think the Bears could have had Mahomes.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:15 PM

I watched the second half in a local bar with a whole lot of other Chiefs fans. It was rather quiet for a good while. But then it got really really loud for a long time.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duality72 View Post
I agree. The defender's only fault seemed to be that he didn't dematerialize when the ball was thrown into him. Do defenders have zero rights to occupy their space on the field?
They CAN'T screen the receiver with their body while also not looking for the ball. That's been a basic PI rule like forever.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
They CAN'T screen the receiver with their body while also not looking for the ball. That's been a basic PI rule like forever.
This. If the defender had been turned around and looking at the ball, it would have been different.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:24 AM

Thinking on it a bit, I'm thinking maybe Kyle Shanahan doesn't trust Jimmy Garoppolo to win his teams games. Shanahan's refusal to use timeouts at the end of the first half and the poor play of Garoppolo in the fourth quarter indicates, to me at least, that while he's fine at running the play action offense, Shanahan doesn't think Jimmy is a "win because of" QB.

Jimmy G. had 4.7 air yards per completion in the game, which would have been the 4th lowest in the NFL regular season. That's a lot of quick, easy passes. And when he faced pressure, Jimmy was awful, going 1 for 9 for 20 yards and 2 interceptions when under pressure. His overthrow of Sanders and not seeing an open Kittle on a huge 3rd down cemented his poor play in the 4th quarter.

I think Shanahan made some mistakes (too conservative at the end of the first half and only 10 runs in the second half), but I'm not sure that loss is on him.

Luckily, Garoppolo is only 26 starts into his career and he is capable of throwing a very pretty ball (that pass to Kittle on the OPI was very pretty indeed). He'll have much more time to develop and maybe he'll become a win because of QB. He just didn't show it last night.

Last edited by Hamlet; 02-03-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:43 AM

Even when Garoppolo completed a pass, they sometimes were thrown so inaccurately that the receiver had to slow down to catch them, and got tackled immediately. If the passes were out in front of the receiver, he could have gotten some yardage after the catch.

I don't see Jimmy G. ever being more than an average QB. Although when you have a Kittle on your team, that's good enough to get to the SB.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post

I don't see Jimmy G. ever being more than an average QB. Although when you have a Kittle on your team, that's good enough to get to the SB.
A league-leading defense also helps.

The long pass to Sanders that Garoppolo overthrew was a killer. He gave the receiver no chance to catch the ball. Even if he underthrows it, the play probably results in a defensive pass interference penalty.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:43 AM

End of game hijinks - Mahomes wouldn't take an immediate knee and insisted on dancing to (I assume) run some clock. Reid kept calling him over and I assume saying "take a gosh-darned knee".

And what was up with that last ballistic pass?
Old 02-03-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
End of game hijinks - Mahomes wouldn't take an immediate knee and insisted on dancing to (I assume) run some clock. Reid kept calling him over and I assume saying "take a gosh-darned knee".
I think he called him over to make sure he ran out the clock by running around.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:03 AM

That was amazing! Another comeback in the nick of time, almost like they planned it that way just to make it more exciting!
Old 02-03-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
The long pass to Sanders that Garoppolo overthrew was a killer. He gave the receiver no chance to catch the ball. Even if he underthrows it, the play probably results in a defensive pass interference penalty.
Was that the pass near the end of the game with KC up 4 points and a receiver behind the defence? That was a bad, bad miss. I realize there wasn't a huge amount of separation but Superbowl-winning QBs make that completion.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:07 AM

Jimmy Garoppolo is a game manager. Don’t put too much on his shoulders and he’ll do fine, as he did for most of the Super Bowl. Once you start getting behind and need him to step up and start making big plays he just doesn’t have the ability to do it.

Assume Mahomes didn’t have the “power pill” moment in the last 6 minutes and continued to play as “Meh”-homes, and San Francisco won, who would have been the MVP? Assuming the Niners just played conservatively, used up a lot of clock time with meaningless runs, and were able to just bleed out the game over the second half of the last quarter.

Last edited by Atamasama; 02-03-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:

There was apparently some betting-related hijinks related to that too. Apparently one of the most popular prop bets was an over/under on Mahomes rushing yards. Those last kneels (which count as negative rushing plays) cost many bettors that took the over.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-kneel-downs

As far as why he ran around and then chucked the deep ball, you're right, it was to kill the clock. The last play was 4th down so he couldn't just kneel it unless time had expired, the clock would stop.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:08 AM

No separate thread for the commercials? I don't remember all of them, but I loved the Cheetos one, didn't like the Little Caesars one because I called it the sliced bread commercial and obviously, the commercial is supposed to make you recall the product name. Also the Momoa one. Anyone else?

Also, my favorite shot after the win was the one Chiefs player making a confetti angel.

Also again, was there another superbowl game where a team came from farther behind to win at the last minute?

Last edited by SuntanLotion; 02-03-2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: another sentence
Old 02-03-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
There was apparently some betting-related hijinks related to that too. Apparently one of the most popular prop bets was an over/under on Mahomes rushing yards. Those last kneels (which count as negative rushing plays) cost many bettors that took the over.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-kneel-downs
I suggested to folks at our watch party that Mahomes played badly the first three quarters because he had bets on intermediate results, and then money to win the game.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:

The purpose of the ballistic pass is to burn an extra second or two by having the ball arcing high in the air. I believe the clock continues running until the ball goes out of bounds or impacts the ground.

At any rate, with an 11-point lead, it's not like even a Niners pick-six would have changed the outcome.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Also again, was there another superbowl game where a team came from farther behind to win at the last minute?
Well, as Kyle Shanahan would probably like to forget, the Atlanta Falcons team he was Offensive Coordinator for led the Patriots 21-3 at halftime and 28-3 about halfway through the 3rd quarter. So that was definitely a bigger comeback.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
Well, as Kyle Shanahan would probably like to forget, the Atlanta Falcons team he was Offensive Coordinator for led the Patriots 21-3 at halftime and 28-3 about halfway through the 3rd quarter. So that was definitely a bigger comeback.
I found it a little annoying that the commentators (both last night and leading up to the game) seem to be laying that Falcons loss squarely at Shanahan's feet. He was the offensive coordinator, of an offense that put up 21 points (one TD was a pick 6). You'd think the head coach and the defensive coordinator should take most of the blame for pissing away a 25 point lead.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I found it a little annoying that the commentators (both last night and leading up to the game) seem to be laying that Falcons loss squarely at Shanahan's feet. He was the offensive coordinator, of an offense that put up 21 points (one TD was a pick 6). You'd think the head coach and the defensive coordinator should take most of the blame for pissing away a 25 point lead.
It didnít spook the Niners because they made him their head coach the day after that Falcons SB loss. It helped that he was Assistant Coach of the Year also.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
In that game, though, (SBLI,) it was largely Shanahan's disastrous playcalling that led to the loss. With the ball at the New England 22-yard line, all Shanahan had to do was run the ball up the gut three straight times and kick a field goal and the Falcons would have an all-but-insurmountable 31-20 lead. Instead his play calls led to the Falcons being pushed back wildly out of field goal range.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
In that game, though, (SBLI,) it was largely Shanahan's disastrous playcalling that led to the loss. With the ball at the New England 22-yard line, all Shanahan had to do was run the ball up the gut three straight times and kick a field goal and the Falcons would have an all-but-insurmountable 31-20 lead. Instead his play calls led to the Falcons being pushed back wildly out of field goal range.
I think you're being way too hard on Shanahan. The Falcons had marched down the field to the 22, and were going for a TD to completely slam the door on the Pats. 1st down he called a run and lost a yard. 2nd down was a pass, but Matt Ryan ran around way too long looking for a receiver, and took a sack he never should have, leading to 3rd & 23, so he had to pass. Then there was a holding penalty on 3rd down to push them out of field goal range. If you're going to blame a single person on that drive, it would be Ryan for taking the sack. And regardless, the defense giving up 3 touchdowns in 20 minutes is what led to the loss, not a drive stalled for dumb reasons.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I think you're being way too hard on Shanahan. The Falcons had marched down the field to the 22, and were going for a TD to completely slam the door on the Pats.
A field goal would have slammed the door just as hard as a touchdown. It would have been a 2-possession game. At that stage, whether the lead is eleven or fifteen points matters less than whether it is one or two possessions.

Quote:
leading to 3rd & 23, so he had to pass.
With the ball on the 35-yard line, he did not have to pass - the smart play would have been to run the ball again to make it a shorter fourth down, and hence more convertable field goal. In that situation, converting a 3rd-and-23 is highly unlikely, so passing does you little meaningful good - you are all but certain to need to attempt a field goal on fourth down regardless, so you do what you can to make the distance closer.

A pass, in that situation, risks a sack, interception, or incompletion (which stops the clock.) A running play, at worst, gets no gain or a short loss of yardage, and still keeps burning clock.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Who here has confidence in Jimmy G. to pull out the win?
Assuming this was when the 49ers got the ball, down by 4, with under 3 minutes to go, I had zero confidence in him at that point.

I think the actual thought that went through my head was "Jimmy G gets an Eli chance! Too bad he's no Eli."
Old 02-03-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
A field goal would have slammed the door just as hard as a touchdown. It would have been a 2-possession game. At that stage, whether the lead is eleven or fifteen points matters less than whether it is one or two possessions.

With the ball on the 35-yard line, he did not have to pass - the smart play would have been to run the ball again to make it a shorter fourth down, and hence more convertable field goal. In that situation, converting a 3rd-and-23 is highly unlikely, so passing does you little meaningful good - you are all but certain to need to attempt a field goal on fourth down regardless, so you do what you can to make the distance closer.

A pass, in that situation, risks a sack, interception, or incompletion (which stops the clock.) A running play, at worst, gets no gain or a short loss of yardage, and still keeps burning clock.
Note that the 3rd & 23 pass play he did run gained them 9 yards, and kept the clock running. It was the holding call that pushed them back another 10 yards out of field goal range.

And even if Shanahan had told Ryan to drop back 10 yards and take a knee on every play from the 22, calling him largely responsible is still ludicrous IMHO. The defense gave up TDs, that's what lost them the game.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
Even when Garoppolo completed a pass, they sometimes were thrown so inaccurately that the receiver had to slow down to catch them, and got tackled immediately. If the passes were out in front of the receiver, he could have gotten some yardage after the catch.
Garoppolo wasn't great, but at one point he was 18 for 21. He wasn't throwing terrific, but he was good enough. Tom Brady has won Super Bowls passing worse than that.

I'm sorry, but the Niners defense choked. That's what decided the game. Their secondary coverage in the fourth quarter was, well, tertiary.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Garoppolo wasn't great, but at one point he was 18 for 21. He wasn't throwing terrific, but he was good enough. Tom Brady has won Super Bowls passing worse than that.

I'm sorry, but the Niners defense choked. That's what decided the game. Their secondary coverage in the fourth quarter was, well, tertiary.
Donít discount the importance of pass rushing. The success of Mahomes coincided with the Niners not getting pressure on him (hence having time to throw some of those deep passes) and conversely, the Chiefs getting to Garoppolo late helped seal the game (especially that 4th down sack).
Old 02-03-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Jimmy's completion percentage was so high in the first half necause he was throwing short, quick passes close to the line of scrimmage. When the Chiefs adjusted, and challenged him, he floundered. And when the pass rush got to him, he was horrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay
The defense held one of the highest scoring offenses for 3 quarters and got two interceptions off of one of the best QBs in the league. But they got no help from the offense, whose 4th quarter was Punt, Punt, Turnover on downs, and interception with just about 5 and a half minutes time of possession. Yes, the Niners defense in the 4th quarter didnt play as great as they had in the past, but they played well enough to win if they had an offense that was better. Blaming the D for that loss isn't fair.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:10 PM

The Niners mistake was going up by 10 points as -10 points is the condition that triggers the Chiefís offense overdrive subroutine
Old 02-03-2020, 06:24 PM

Traditionally, football games are won by the team with the better defense and the higher level of "physicality." That's why I thought San Francisco would win. To me, they abandoned the tactics that got them to the S.B. in the first place - a hard-hitting "D" and an overpowering run game. And when they really needed to make some stops they weren't able to come through (Richard Sherman is eating crow right about now). Yeah, Jimmy G. kind of wilted down the stretch but I've seen plenty of pro quarterbacks, even very highly-regarded ones, over the years who don't perform as well when they face pressure as they do when they don't (is that clear?). I call it a "team loss" - Kyle Shanahan was out-coached or he outwitted himself or however you want to put it. Jimmy G. wasn't "clutch." And neither was the formerly intimidating 49ers "D." When Joe Buck kept bringing up how the "Chefs" had come back from big deficits in their first two playoff games this year I kept thinking, "Shut up! Those were against teams who were NOT the caliber of this 49ers team!" Then the 49ers went and made a LIAR out of me. Way ta go, San Francisco!
Old 02-03-2020, 06:35 PM

I was on the fence about the 49ers until now. But once you make Joe Buck look like he is wise, you will earn my undying hatred.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:44 PM

Don't blame me! Blame the 49ers! (I remember texting friends of mine yesterday right after P.M. threw his 2nd pick: "If the 49ers score a touchdown on this drive [which, frankly, I expected them to do] the Chiefs are in SERIOUS trouble." Then the Sixty-Niners fell apart and gave a game away that they should have won. Oh, well - that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes!)
Old 02-03-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Don't blame me! Blame the 49ers! (I remember texting friends of mine yesterday right after P.M. threw his 2nd pick: "If the 49ers score a touchdown on this drive [which, frankly, I expected them to do] the Chiefs are in SERIOUS trouble." Then the Sixty-Niners fell apart and gave a game away that they should have won. Oh, well - that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes!)
Sorry I didnít clarify, I hate the 49ers only for making Buck look like he knew what he was talking about.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
Was that the pass near the end of the game with KC up 4 points and a receiver behind the defence? That was a bad, bad miss. I realize there wasn't a huge amount of separation but Superbowl-winning QBs make that completion.
Yes, that was the pass with about 1:40 remaining and the score 24-20.

Regarding the end-of-game 'dancing' by Mahomes: KC got the ball with 57 seconds left and the Niners had two timeouts. He wasted enough time by dancing backwards on 3 downs so there were just five seconds left on 4th down. And then the last long pass ran out the clock. Granted, had they punted with an 11 point lead, the outcome would have likely been the same, but why take the chance?

The last play was a failed fourth-down by the Chiefs. Before that, they were 2 for 2 in that category.

At one point, the Chiefs were 1 for 6 on third down. They finished 6 for 14. So they were 5 for their last 8 3rd down conversions, which includes the last kneeldown.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Ö (Richard Sherman is eating crow right about now) Ö
Richard Sherman is an astoundingly good CB. Except in the SB. He has been in three of them. No one really noticed him in any of those. In 48, he left sometime in the latter part of the second half with a messed up leg or ankle. In 49, he helped guide the Patriots from down by ten to up by four in the latter part of the 4th quarter. Maybe he is so low-profile because by that point the other O is tuned to go not-in-his-direction. Or, maybe he is just not the big game hero type.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:42 PM

In SB 48, Manning didn’t throw at Sherman ever. He was like citronella to a mosquito.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:51 PM

He's not eating crow simply because he got beat. That happens to the best of 'em. He's eating crow because he was exchanging barbs with Darrelle Revis before the game and he apparently got the worst of it (after Darrelle Revis accused Richard Sherman of "hiding in zone coverage"). When you talk as much as R.S. does, eventually it's probably gonna come back to you in a way that you don't like.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Thinking on it a bit, I'm thinking maybe Kyle Shanahan doesn't trust Jimmy Garoppolo to win his teams games. Shanahan's refusal to use timeouts at the end of the first half and the poor play of Garoppolo in the fourth quarter indicates, to me at least, that while he's fine at running the play action offense, Shanahan doesn't think Jimmy is a "win because of" QB.
I think you're right about that. When SF did not call a timeout to give themselves time to work at the end of the first half, I was immediately reminded of the end of Super Bowl 36, Pats v. Rams, tie score with about the same amount of time left (and NO timeouts if I recall correctly). Everyone thought the Patriots would/should run the clock out and play for overtime. But Belichick had belief that Brady could lead the team down, and they did. That was very conservative of Shanahan.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:36 AM

Just read a trivia book that mentioned the 49ers won 55-10 in 1990, the supposedly largest blowout.