Old 02-04-2020, 10:43 AM

I didn't bring up that SB to lay either game at Shanahan's feet - I don't think he deserves that.

That said, he did make some very odd decisions in both games, and it's fair to question those decisions. As a Chiefs fan I was very happy he decided to pass on 2nd and 5 (and then again on 3rd and 5) with 5 and half minutes left and a lead. Mostert was at nearly 5yd/carry at that point, so I was pretty shocked they didn't just keep grinding it out. It's almost like the change in momentum made him call plays like he was behind instead of ahead.

The lack of timeouts before the half and kicking a FG on 4th and 2 from the 24 both felt conservative to me, but are at least defensible. And if Jimmy G hits that deep ball late then we are having a different conversation right now.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Just read a trivia book that mentioned the 49ers won 55-10 in 1990, the supposedly largest blowout.
In Super Bowls, yes. And I loved every second of it (except when the wienies based in Colorado scored). The biggest N.F.L. championship game blowout of ALL time came back in the 1940s, I believe, when the Chicago Bears deSTROYed the Washington "Natives" to the tune of 73 - 0(!).
Old 02-04-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Just read a trivia book that mentioned the 49ers won 55-10 in 1990, the supposedly largest blowout.
Yes, still the largest margin of victory in a Super Bowl to date.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:37 AM

I picked K.C. for one reason only, and that is Mahomes. I believed he would find a way to win the game no matter what, and it turned out that he did. This guy is the real deal. If he remains healthy, there is no doubt in my mind that he will be a Hall of Famer and one of the great quarterbacks in NFL history.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
In Super Bowls, yes. And I loved every second of it (except when the wienies based in Colorado scored).
Thatís how I felt about SB 48. It could have been a 43-0 blowout but those weenies from Colorado had to get a TD in garbage time to ruin it.

But it was still the fastest points in SB history (the Seahawks scored in the first 12 seconds of the game from a safety on the first and never came close to relinquishing the lead). They also scored in the the first 12 seconds of the second half on a Percy Harvin kickoff return for a TD. Both big shout-out to the Twelves.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
As a Chiefs fan I was very happy he decided to pass on 2nd and 5 (and then again on 3rd and 5) with 5 and half minutes left and a lead. Mostert was at nearly 5yd/carry at that point, so I was pretty shocked they didn't just keep grinding it out. It's almost like the change in momentum made him call plays like he was behind instead of ahead.
This, exactly. Mostert had just run for five yards. If he carries twice more and gets a first down with about 4 1/2 minutes to go, KC probably has to start using timeouts. And then it gets really dicey for the Chiefs.

In fairness, however, on the 2nd and 5 play, Kittle was wide open for an easy first down. Chris Jones batted down the pass, which forced another pass on 3rd and 5, which wasn't close because of a KC blitz that almost got to the QB. That was the FIRST 3 and out for the KC defense. And then KC got the ball back with over five minutes to go.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:57 PM

Frankly, if the San Francisco offense had thrown zero passes all game long and simply handed off to Mostert and Co. for 70 offensive plays in a row, Niners might have won.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:25 PM

The way that 1st half ended bugged me. I felt that was one of those "back and forth handsies" between Kittle and the defender and that the ref should have kept the flag in his pocket. It completely altered the game. So then the anticlimactic kneel down happens, J-Lo time.

I had no dog in the hunt other than rooting for a good game and for Mahomes to play well, which I got, but...IDK man. Didn't like that penalty.

Last edited by FoieGrasIsEvil; 02-04-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Frankly, if the San Francisco offense had thrown zero passes all game long and simply handed off to Mostert and Co. for 70 offensive plays in a row, Niners might have won.
No
Old 02-04-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
The way that 1st half ended bugged me. I felt that was one of those "back and forth handsies" between Kittle and the defender and that the ref should have kept the flag in his pocket. It completely altered the game. So then the anticlimactic kneel down happens, J-Lo time.

I had no dog in the hunt other than rooting for a good game and for Mahomes to play well, which I got, but...IDK man. Didn't like that penalty.
It was back and forth handsies...until just before the ball arrived and Kittle extended his arm, which held off the defender and gave Kittle a small boost to get to the ball.

However, it probably shouldn't have been called. I've seen worse that haven't been called. And I'm speaking as a Chiefs fan.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
No
Yeah, no team is going to get away with never throwing, ever. If you run every play then itís too easy to defend you.

(Well... Maaaaaybe the Titans could do it... )
Old 02-04-2020, 11:28 PM

Couldn't comment before now 'cause I had to hash through a bunch of emotional stuff. (Not video game-related, don't worry. ) Not a whole lot to say about the game itself. Chiefs complete their once-in-a-lifetime nobody-can-freaking-finish-the-job-against-them miracle season we've seen with the '95 Houston Rockets, the Rally Monkey Anaheim Angels, the first New England Patriots championship, and more recently the Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, and Toronto Raptors, and...I have absolutely no idea if I should feel good or bad about this. Is this a team that deserves it more than, say, the Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings, or Atlanta Falcons? I just don't know. Yeah, I've harped (rightfully! ) on the Tomahawk Chop, but I don't see that getting any more insufferable than it's always been. Andy Reid may have had his detractors, but c'mon, he wasn't in the same doghouse as, say, Barry Switzer. Times like this I look to the negative to judge (which I don't enjoy doing, honest!), but there isn't much there either. This isn't like when the Patriots choked away the perfect season and now we have to hear about '72 Dolphins for the next 500 years, or when the Bills lost four in a row and we got several thousand horrible jokes on TV (oh, and putting all the blame on Scott Norwood, that was a nice bonus ), or when the Bengals blew what turned out to be their one and only chance, or when the Falcons blew what turned out to be their two and only chances. The 49ers have five Super Bowls; they can deal with a few second places. About the only bad thing I can potentially see is Kyle Shanahan becoming a complete pariah, but every NFL coach understands life ain't fair and he can go at any time.

So...yeah. Go sports.

However, I do want to comment on the two things I did kinda-sorta care about, to wit.

= THAT PLANTERS PEANUTS CONTROVERSY-ESQUE THINGAMABOB =
Huh. So I guess if you make an utterly hackneyed, pointless ad campaign about an utterly bogus "tragedy" centered around a fictional character no one with any sense gives a crap about, and a completely unexpected real-life tragedy derails the stupid payoff you were planning for the Super Bowl that no one with any sense will give a tenth of a crap about, coming up with a slightly different stupid payoff that no with any sense will give a tenth of a crap about is an acceptable response! I'm expecting absolutely zero fallout from this, of course, but in a sense it's comforting that Planters was able to weather the extremely mild shower without blowing a gasket or completely wimping out. In these trouble times, I appreciate when a major corporation shows some good sense.

That said, a bit too salty for me. I'm more of a Sweet Salty Nut guy.

= THE HALFTIME SHOW =
(Only [very mild] gripe: No idea who the backup singers were, and not a word about them. C'mon, even Wyclef Jean got a credit.)

One thing kept coming to mind while I was watching Shakira and Jennifer Lopez...damn, can these latina performers multitask or what? Singing, and posing, and gyrating, and prop work, and costume changes, and remembering all the words (no mean feat given that most singers aren't used to singing just a few lines from each song), and avoiding all the other bodies on the stage...and throw in a pole twirl and a stage dive on top of that? This is by far the most impressive stage performance of any kind I've seen in recent memory, and that includes Jesus Christ Superstar. Big thumbs-up! Would very gladly buy a DVD of a full concert!

I also gotta ask...doing such high-energy routines at their age? I remember being in college when Shakira first hit it huge; I'm pretty sure the first album I ever saw of her was in a Borders Books and Music. On the 6 was released in 1999. A lot of time has passed since their peak, and yet they were able to get through a very active and pretty dang long halftime show without the slightest hiccup. I don't remember a time when I ever had that kind of physical prowess!

And that's about all I got. Only 18 days until the start of American Ninja Warrior Junior 2!
Old 02-05-2020, 02:24 AM

Great game.

BRING ON THE BASEBALL!
Old 02-05-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
One thing kept coming to mind while I was watching Shakira and Jennifer Lopez...damn, can these latina performers multitask or what? Singing, and posing, and gyrating, and prop work, and costume changes, and remembering all the words (no mean feat given that most singers aren't used to singing just a few lines from each song), and avoiding all the other bodies on the stage...and throw in a pole twirl and a stage dive on top of that? This is by far the most impressive stage performance of any kind I've seen in recent memory, and that includes Jesus Christ Superstar. Big thumbs-up! Would very gladly buy a DVD of a full concert!
I too thought they were impressive. But scratch the singing and remembering lyrics; the songs were lip-synched, as most halftime performance songs are. The parts that werenít lip-synch were the shout-outs and such.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Yeah, no team is going to get away with never throwing, ever. If you run every play then itís too easy to defend you.

(Well... Maaaaaybe the Titans could do it... )
Even the famous '72 Dolphins mixed in passes with their running game.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post

How about the key penalty that wasn't called? A K.C. rusher made full helmet to helmet contact when he hit Garoppolo flush on the side of the head on S.F.'s last real drive. No way that isn't called during the regular season. They routinely call much less in that regard.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Even the famous '72 Dolphins mixed in passes with their running game.
Infamous. Spotless record or not, I have my doubts that that is TRULY the best team in N.F.L. history.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
How about the key penalty that wasn't called? A K.C. rusher made full helmet to helmet contact when he hit Garoppolo flush on the side of the head on S.F.'s last real drive. No way that isn't called during the regular season. They routinely call much less in that regard.
Iíve seen that kind of hit missed many times during the regular season. It doesnít make it right but it happens. Sometimes the officials just donít see it; there are 22 players on the field and they canít see every angle of every one. (Unlike the cameramen.)
Old 02-06-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
Couldn't comment before now 'cause I had to hash through a bunch of emotional stuff. (Not video game-related, don't worry. ) Not a whole lot to say about the game itself. Chiefs complete their once-in-a-lifetime nobody-can-freaking-finish-the-job-against-them miracle season we've seen with the '95 Houston Rockets, the Rally Monkey Anaheim Angels, the first New England Patriots championship, and more recently the Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, and Toronto Raptors, and...I have absolutely no idea if I should feel good or bad about this. Is this a team that deserves it more than, say, the Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings, or Atlanta Falcons? I just don't know. Yeah, I've harped (rightfully! ) on the Tomahawk Chop, but I don't see that getting any more insufferable than it's always been. Andy Reid may have had his detractors, but c'mon, he wasn't in the same doghouse as, say, Barry Switzer. Times like this I look to the negative to judge (which I don't enjoy doing, honest!), but there isn't much there either. This isn't like when the Patriots choked away the perfect season and now we have to hear about '72 Dolphins for the next 500 years, or when the Bills lost four in a row and we got several thousand horrible jokes on TV (oh, and putting all the blame on Scott Norwood, that was a nice bonus ), or when the Bengals blew what turned out to be their one and only chance, or when the Falcons blew what turned out to be their two and only chances. The 49ers have five Super Bowls; they can deal with a few second places. About the only bad thing I can potentially see is Kyle Shanahan becoming a complete pariah, but every NFL coach understands life ain't fair and he can go at any time.

So...yeah. Go sports.

However, I do want to comment on the two things I did kinda-sorta care about, to wit.

= THAT PLANTERS PEANUTS CONTROVERSY-ESQUE THINGAMABOB =
Huh. So I guess if you make an utterly hackneyed, pointless ad campaign about an utterly bogus "tragedy" centered around a fictional character no one with any sense gives a crap about, and a completely unexpected real-life tragedy derails the stupid payoff you were planning for the Super Bowl that no one with any sense will give a tenth of a crap about, coming up with a slightly different stupid payoff that no with any sense will give a tenth of a crap about is an acceptable response! I'm expecting absolutely zero fallout from this, of course, but in a sense it's comforting that Planters was able to weather the extremely mild shower without blowing a gasket or completely wimping out. In these trouble times, I appreciate when a major corporation shows some good sense.

That said, a bit too salty for me. I'm more of a Sweet Salty Nut guy.

= THE HALFTIME SHOW =
(Only [very mild] gripe: No idea who the backup singers were, and not a word about them. C'mon, even Wyclef Jean got a credit.)

I also gotta ask...doing such high-energy routines at their age? I remember being in college when Shakira first hit it huge; I'm pretty sure the first album I ever saw of her was in a Borders Books and Music. On the 6 was released in 1999. A lot of time has passed since their peak, and yet they were able to get through a very active and pretty dang long halftime show without the slightest hiccup. I don't remember a time when I ever had that kind of physical prowess!

And that's about all I got. Only 18 days until the start of American Ninja Warrior Junior 2!
**golf clap**

-1 for mouthing off about my Bengals. Joe Burrow. JOE FUCKING BURROW!!!
Old 02-07-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
It was back and forth handsies...until just before the ball arrived and Kittle extended his arm, which held off the defender and gave Kittle a small boost to get to the ball.

However, it probably shouldn't have been called. I've seen worse that haven't been called. And I'm speaking as a Chiefs fan.
I agree. But I've seen "less" that HAVE been called.

I think the non-timeout was more important. Even though I was rooting for the Chiefs, I was yelling at my tv "Why aren't you calling TO here...?" It boggles my mind how coaches screw up such easy decisions.

Last edited by fjs1fs; 02-07-2020 at 12:56 PM.