Old 02-01-2020, 09:11 AM

Responding Versus Voting in a Poll

There is a thread in IMHO inquiring about snoring. At 6 a.m. on Saturday it had 27 responses listed but 82 votes in the various categories. How can that be? I, perhaps foolishly, assume the vBulletin software prevents more than one vote per user. I'll also mention that it has never occurred to me to vote more than once in a poll.

What's the scoop?
Old 02-01-2020, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASGuy View Post
I, perhaps foolishly, assume the vBulletin software prevents more than one vote per user. I'll also mention that it has never occurred to me to vote more than once in a poll.
It does and you can't. But posting and voting are not the same thing. You can vote once - you can post as many times as you wish. So none of those 82 voters may have posted, or some of them may have posted multiple times. One is not tied to the other.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 02-01-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:29 AM

I don't snore so I voted no. I didn't think there was anything about it worth commenting on.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:25 AM

Thanks Tamerlane for the scoop.

rsat3acr, I guess my inquiry only goes to prove that yahoo's like me can come up with something about the most trivial subject. Or maybe I'm just thinking outside the box. Yeah, I'll go with option B.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

There’s plenty of polls I’ll vote on and don’t want to post on. I’ll vote for my favorite Star Trek series, but I don’t usually want to get a pile on for liking Voyager.

Or, like my poll on Democratic fundraising, it is pretty much assumed that Bernie Sanders will win it, so I can understand people not wanting to just be an echo
Old 02-01-2020, 05:37 PM
born to be shunned

Sometimes I post and don't vote (none of the choices really describe what I think) and sometimes I vote and don't post because other than casting my vote I really don't have anything to add. And since the two are not linked in this software I get to be happy almost all of the time.

Unless the poll doesn't include pie in which case I will be slightly annoyed.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Thereís plenty of polls Iíll vote on and donít want to post on. Iíll vote for my favorite Star Trek series, but I donít usually want to get a pile on for liking Voyager.
Itís wise in that particular scenario.

I too sometimes vote without posting or vice-versa. I may post to point out a flaw in the poll, or suggest an option not listed in the poll, or otherwise explain why I didnít opt to vote. And sometimes I vote and donít really have anything productive to add to the discussion.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

I think I once actually voted in an SDMB poll. Can't remember for sure, though. If I did, it's been many years. I do occasionally post in poll threads.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
. . . sometimes I vote and don't post because other than casting my vote I really don't have anything to add.
There are people who will post to say nothing more than how they voted in the poll. Apparently they don't understand the whole purpose of a poll.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:58 PM

I do believe that voting brings threads back up to the top, just like posts. So I could see assuming that votes count as posts.

I personally find it rare that I have nothing to say in a poll thread. If the topic is interesting enough for me to vote, it's enough for me to want to discuss my answer or discuss a subtopic brought up in the comments. The rare times I don't comment, it's usually because someone has already said what I would say, and I can't even think of anything to add or even put my own logic into.

Last edited by BigT; 02-04-2020 at 06:00 PM.