Old 02-06-2020, 09:21 PM

Bob Marley would have been Trump's fiercest opponent if he was alive today

The reggae legend would have fought Trump tooth and nail today, especially on racial issues, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qe23LVs2O4
Old 02-06-2020, 09:30 PM

Ok
Old 02-06-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Ok
I agree with your rebuttal to the OP, probably.

CMC fnord!
Old 02-06-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Why, is Trump running for sheriff? If so, I guess Pence is safe.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
The reggae legend would have fought Trump tooth and nail today, especially on racial issues, probably.

Is this supposed to be some sort of amazing revelation or something?

Anyone here bother to watch the video care to explain why I should click the link?
Old 02-06-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Do you have a debate? What did you take from those particular lyrics?

I agree, Bob Marley would be anti-Trump, but I don't get anything special along these lines from the song you linked too.

Bob Marley - Rat Race was the song for those that don't want to click the link.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Do you have a debate? What did you take from those particular lyrics?

I agree, Bob Marley would be anti-Trump, but I don't get anything special along these lines from the song you linked too.

Bob Marley - Rat Race was the song for those that don't want to click the link.
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:19 PM

I never understood Marleys appeal. Same with the Grateful Dead. Except the idea is you are somehow cool if you have his poster on your wall.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Maybe on last Christmas the ghost of Marley did visit Trump..

https://www.varagesale.com/i/9btwa7b...ton-cards-1990
Old 02-06-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I never understood Marleys appeal. Same with the Grateful Dead. Except the idea is you are somehow cool if you have his poster on your wall.
Some people like Reggae, I know I do. If you like Reggae, Marley is pretty much the greatest with the added appeal of dying young, leaving us wanting more. Did wonders for Monroe, James Dean and others too.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

I like Bob Marley's music and I agree he would probably be opposed to Trump. But I don't see why his opposition would be particularly effective. He wasn't even an American citizen.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I like Bob Marley's music and I agree he would probably be opposed to Trump. But I don't see why his opposition would be particularly effective. He wasn't even an American citizen.
Neither was John Lennon and Nixon feared his effect on the election enough to try and deport him. Of course Nixon was very paranoid but Lennon did have a lot of influence.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Neither was John Lennon and Nixon feared his effect on the election enough to try and deport him. Of course Nixon was very paranoid but Lennon did have a lot of influence.
I feel Lennon was a much more influential person in Nixon's time than Marley would be today.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

count me in the mystified group. No shit, Marley would have been opposed to Trump. Fiercest opponent? Opponent for sure, but even "fierce" opponent is making assumptions that might not be correct.

Maybe the OP can return and 'splain a bit more?
Old 02-07-2020, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

OP has not read any of asahiís posts. That guy wins by a mile.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I feel Lennon was a much more influential person in Nixon's time than Marley would be today.
Well, then, if that's true, then why did the CIA bio-engineer skin melanoma, which had never affected any people of color, ever, until that point, and slip it under his toenail? Hm? Hum? Well?

*ahem*

I could have just stayed out of this debate, because like many people who have already commented, I don't really have a dog in this fight. However, I did hear this particular conspiracy theory on Behind The Music on VH1, and I'm sure it was going to come up sooner or later. 'Course, when it did come up, I could have just rolled my eyes and kept ignoring the thread. However ...

Yeah. I think if someone is a real Bob Marley fan, and really big John Lennon fan, they'd love to start a lengthy debate on the MASSIVE effect they're going to have on world politics. And uh, well, I don't agree. Celebrities use their skill to create art to increase people's happiness, enrich human culture, and oh yes, make themselves a nice living. The obsessive faboi mentality how their antics are world changing is simply incorrect, just boring, at best, and ridiculous at worst.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Fair enough and I can't argue with it. Just a counter example, but not really a fair one.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:08 PM

Bob Marley slowed reggae music down and made it dull.

Desmond Dekker was the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Bob Marley was Fat Mattress.

Sorry. Irrelevant.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The reggae legend would have fought Trump tooth and nail today, especially on racial issues, probably. ...
So would Jesus.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:38 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Marley would certainly have been against him as a representative of "Babylon," but I doubt very much he would have fought him directly. I can't recall Marley ever doing anything to fight Nixon, George Wallace, or Reagan (who I was surprised to find he shared a birthday with). Marley was interested in fighting for the rights of black people, but on a global scale. I think he was much more interested in African than US politics.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchie View Post
Bob Marley slowed reggae music down and made it dull.
Nah, Marley popularized reggae which brought more attention to dancehall, hip-hop, reggaeton, dub, raggamuffin, Jamaican rap, etc.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:34 AM

Ironically (given the OP's username), the N.Y. Yankees throughout most of their history would probably have been Trump's fiercest defenders.

If we're debating which dead people would have been hardest on Trump if alive today, let's not forget Jacob Riis, Upton Sinclair and Robert La Follette.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fair enough and I can't argue with it. Just a counter example, but not really a fair one.
And to be fair in turn, Trump isn't like most Presidents. He indulges himself in petty attacks against people that normal Presidents would just ignore. Plus he's an idiot.

So I can see Trump ordering some minion to have Bob Marley deported from the United Kingdom.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Marley would certainly have been against him as a representative of "Babylon," but I doubt very much he would have fought him directly. I can't recall Marley ever doing anything to fight Nixon, George Wallace, or Reagan (who I was surprised to find he shared a birthday with). Marley was interested in fighting for the rights of black people, but on a global scale. I think he was much more interested in African than US politics.
Yes, Marley was interested in fighting for the rights of black people worldwide, including America and Britain.

He would have been proud of Obama and he would have despised Trump.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
He would have been proud of Obama and he would have despised Trump.
Pretty bold statement, there. Not sure if I'd quite go out on a limb like that.

Totes Redd Foxx would also have been a majorly fierce Trump critic too, I'd bet.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 02-08-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

But none of them would compare to Nina Simone. End of discussion.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
But none of them would compare to Nina Simone. End of discussion.
What about Richard Pryor, if he was still alive?
Old 02-08-2020, 11:30 PM

I guess this ridiculous thread is as good a time as any to tell a ridiculous story about a reggae song. In this case, Wolves and Leopards by Dennis Brown.

Many years ago my friend and I were sitting, highly stoned, listening to music, and this song came on. After pondering the lyrics of it, my friend started theorizing about the political meaning behind them. "You see", he said, "the sheep and the shepherd are the Rastafarians in Jamaica." I nodded. "And the wolves and leopards are the forces of colonialism and capitalism." Yup, makes sense to me. "And the lion represents the British Empire." Wait. Wait a minute, man. There is no lion. "Yeah there is, he definitely said something about a lion." No, no he didn't, the song is about wolves and leopards, he definitely DOESN'T say ANYTHING about a lion. "Man, I swear he definitely said something about a lion." NO! THERE IS NO LION!
Old 02-09-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Ok
Ok, Mon!
Old 02-09-2020, 01:45 AM

I'm not so sure. Rita Marley claimed that he once forced himself on her because "she was his wife", and that once he got famous, he started chasing every skirt around him.

So he may have sympathized with the "grab'em by the pussy" President more than others.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I guess this ridiculous thread is as good a time as any to tell a ridiculous story about a reggae song. In this case, Wolves and Leopards by Dennis Brown.

Many years ago my friend and I were sitting, highly stoned, listening to music, and this song came on. After pondering the lyrics of it, my friend started theorizing about the political meaning behind them. "You see", he said, "the sheep and the shepherd are the Rastafarians in Jamaica." I nodded. "And the wolves and leopards are the forces of colonialism and capitalism." Yup, makes sense to me. "And the lion represents the British Empire." Wait. Wait a minute, man. There is no lion. "Yeah there is, he definitely said something about a lion." No, no he didn't, the song is about wolves and leopards, he definitely DOESN'T say ANYTHING about a lion. "Man, I swear he definitely said something about a lion." NO! THERE IS NO LION!
Jah, mon, there most certainly is a lion, listen again. The lion is you, listening to the song and preparing to rise up.