Old 02-08-2020, 07:47 PM

RIP Robert Conrad

Dead at the age of 84.

The Wild Wild West was a do-not-miss for me, regardless of how many heel lifts Conrad had to wear to see Artemus Gordon eye-to-eye.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Black Sheep Squadron was in regular reruns recently.

Brian
Old 02-08-2020, 07:52 PM

I watched every episode of Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Robert Conrad played tough guys really well. It's been a long, long time since I've seen anything about him.

RIP
Old 02-08-2020, 08:30 PM

He was really good in his Columbo episode: 1974's "An Exercise in Fatality." Very convincing as a murderous heavy--the sort of role he rarely played.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072802/
Old 02-08-2020, 10:08 PM

Take care Jim West, and thanks for the many, many hours you've given me.

Give my best to Artie.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:15 PM

Centennial is how I remember him
Old 02-09-2020, 12:31 AM
SDSAB

I remember Baa Baa Black Sheep, and a bit of Wild Wild West, but what really stuck with me was his spy series A Man Called Sloane (just 12 episodes, but I remember they were good cheesy fun). May he rest in peace.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:11 AM

We are poor little sheep who have lost their way
Baa Baa Baa
Old 02-09-2020, 02:48 AM

He's now hangin' around the Spoonin' Tree, hangin' around impatiently.

RIP, Jim.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
A Man Called Sloane (just 12 episodes, but I remember they were good cheesy fun).
"Hi. I'm Torque."

Last edited by terentii; 02-09-2020 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:29 AM

I just watched all of Baa Baa Black Sheep recently, and for a cheesy 70's war sitcom it had some surprisingly deep episodes, I was surprised at just how good the whole thing is.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
I just watched all of Baa Baa Black Sheep recently, and for a cheesy 70's war sitcom it had some surprisingly deep episodes, I was surprised at just how good the whole thing is.
Can't tell if its a joke or not. But it wasn't a comedy.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:10 AM

I had just screwed up the courage to knock that battery off his shoulder and this goes an happens.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I remember him having an epic meltdown when Gabe Kaplan smoked him in a race on one of those cheesy battle of the network things they used to have in the seventies. Good actor, bad loser. Still, it would be a funny world if we were all the same.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Was about to say that I remember him for being a really bad sport on Battle of the Network Stars. RIP, tough guy.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjim View Post
Dead at the age of 84.

The Wild Wild West was a do-not-miss for me, regardless of how many heel lifts Conrad had to wear to see Artemus Gordon eye-to-eye.
Conrad always claimed he was 5' 8" but I have my doubts. It's particularly noticeable in some scenes from "Hawaiian Eye." OTOH, he did virtually all his own stunts and was obviously very strong and agile.

Last edited by ZonexandScout; 02-09-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:41 AM

My dad wouldn't watch my favorite show (Baa, Baa Black Sheep) with me when I was a kid because he was still bugged about the animated Jim West punching a woman.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
Conrad always claimed he was 5' 8" but I have my doubts. It's particularly noticeable in some scenes from "Hawaiian Eye." OTOH, he did virtually all his own stunts and was obviously very strong and agile.
Surprised that Hawaiian Eye wasn't mentioned earlier. He was on 104 episodes. The same number as TWWW (which also had a reunion movie). On TBBS for only 36 episodes.

Obligatory IMDb link. Worked steadily up until 2002 and then nada.

Outlived Ross Martin by quite a bit. He died in 1981.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Surprised that Hawaiian Eye wasn't mentioned earlier. He was on 104 episodes. The same number as TWWW (which also had a reunion movie). On TBBS for only 36 episodes.
Two reunion movies, I think.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:20 AM

"Jingle All The Way," was one long Who-IS-That moment for me with Conrad playing the cop who gets blowed up real good.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
I remember him having an epic meltdown when Gabe Kaplan smoked him in a race on one of those cheesy battle of the network things they used to have in the seventies. Good actor, bad loser. Still, it would be a funny world if we were all the same.
Actually, he was complaining a lot beforehand, but admitted that the "Best man won" after the race. The whole segment is here. NBC had beaten ABC in a relay race, but the judges tacked on a 2 second penalty because one of the racers had cheated, giving the race to ABC. Conrad, captain of the NBC team, blew his top, and eventually he and Mr. Kotter, captain of ABC, agreed to a foot race to settle the matter. Conrad had no idea that Kaplan had been a track star in high school. The fact that the whole event is announced by Howard Cosell really makes it timeless.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:57 PM

Baa Baa Black Sheep had a great intro and the fantastic Simon Oakland

If I recall: they had modern haircuts...and one of the flyers had two American stamps on his Corsair (?) because of friendly fire.

Also remember an ep ( might be the same guy) where a novice accidentally shot down a famous Japanese ace, so the ace (who lived) challenged the novice to a one on one duel

And this was actually a source of drama in the ep!! I could see it happening IRL....maybe? But it wouldn't be a source of drama and losing sleep. It would either happen or they'd set up an ambush
Old 02-09-2020, 05:34 PM

I was a big fan of THE WILD, WILD, WEST and BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON, and I also liked him in CENTENNIAL. But I recall him playing a bit part as an overly aggressive senior military advisor in some movie from the 80’s or 90’s. I cannot recall if the movie was a comedy or not—but his character was most certainly a cartoonish, two dimensional attempt at humor. After admiring his serious tough guy roles, I remember I got a kick out of this general he played being ignored when he wanted to solve every problem with more firepower! He also claimed to have these tidbits of tactical intelligence that could not be actual information: “has dinner with his mother every Tuesday night..” or “ … yes sir, chronic masturbator with a Napoleon Complex”. You want to take him seriously because of his previous roles and playing it straight presence in the role but he became too absurd. It was just funny because he was making fun of his tough guy roles with such earnestness.

Last edited by Temporary Name; 02-09-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary Name View Post
I was a big fan of THE WILD, WILD, WEST and BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON, and I also liked him in CENTENNIAL. But I recall him playing a bit part as an overly aggressive senior military advisor in some movie from the 80’s or 90’s. I cannot recall if the movie was a comedy or not—but his character was most certainly a cartoonish, two dimensional attempt at humor. After admiring his serious tough guy roles, I remember I got a kick out of this general he played being ignored when he wanted to solve every problem with more firepower! He also claimed to have these tidbits of tactical intelligence that could not be actual information: “has dinner with his mother every Tuesday night..” or “ … yes sir, chronic masturbator with a Napoleon Complex”. You want to take him seriously because of his previous roles and playing it straight presence in the role but he became too absurd. It was just funny because he was making fun of his tough guy roles with such earnestness.
Wrong is Right. A very timely movie
Old 02-09-2020, 06:35 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I had just screwed up the courage to knock that battery off his shoulder and this goes an happens.
I was going to post one of those battery commercials, in fact.

I always enjoyed him in Wild Wild West.

RIP, Mr. Conrad.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Wrong is Right. A very timely movie
Thank You Dale Sams!
I would not have remembered that in a million years. In fact, I still have little memory of the movie or the plot even after looking it up on IMDb, but I DO remember Mr. Conrad’s performance.

Even if I didn’t remember Sean Connery or John Saxon (big fan of both actors) were in the movie, you would think I would recall Katherine Ross!
Old 02-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If this thread goes longer than the RIP Kirk Douglas thread, I will become very very sad.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Can't tell if its a joke or not. But it wasn't a comedy.
Half the episodes revolved around them trying to get with the nurses or figuring out ways to get one up on Major Lard. Wikipedia calls it a "military drama" but I can't remember any other military drama that ends with a women's volleyball game in the middle of a warzone.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Actually, he was complaining a lot beforehand, but admitted that the "Best man won" after the race. The whole segment is here. NBC had beaten ABC in a relay race, but the judges tacked on a 2 second penalty because one of the racers had cheated, giving the race to ABC. Conrad, captain of the NBC team, blew his top, and eventually he and Mr. Kotter, captain of ABC, agreed to a foot race to settle the matter. Conrad had no idea that Kaplan had been a track star in high school. The fact that the whole event is announced by Howard Cosell really makes it timeless.
And video is has some politically incorrect statements, with stereo-typical vintage slurs towards Germans, Jews, and the Irish.

Imagine how much outrage there would be on Social Media

at the 1:40 mark

"He's Jewish and he wants to do is arbitrate"
"I'm German and I want to kill the both of them"
"I'm Irish and I am looking for another Mick to hit"
Old 02-09-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
And video is has some politically incorrect statements, with stereo-typical vintage slurs towards Germans, Jews, and the Irish.

Imagine how much outrage there would be on Social Media

at the 1:40 mark

"He's Jewish and he wants to do is arbitrate"
"I'm German and I want to kill the both of them"
"I'm Irish and I am looking for another Mick to hit"
I watched that when it was first broadcast and thought it was pretty cringe-worthy then. Even more so when I caught a re-run or YouTube video a couple of years ago. That exchange seemed very real and very intense to me. But the thing with him putting the battery on his shoulder and blocking Lou Ferrigno's way seemed pretty much scripted to me.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:26 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
"Hi. I'm Torque."
Ha - yes! And the pretty secretary. I had a crush on her at the time....
Old 02-10-2020, 10:27 AM

He'd have been perfect as Napolean.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I just learned that he was a singer, too.

YouTube has several of his songs:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...conrad+singing
Old 02-10-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Half the episodes revolved around them trying to get with the nurses or figuring out ways to get one up on Major Lard. Wikipedia calls it a "military drama" but I can't remember any other military drama that ends with a women's volleyball game in the middle of a warzone.
That's Colonel Lard!

I know of another action military drama movie that takes time out from all the flyin' and girl chasin' for a shirtless volleyball game.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:25 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
...I know of another action military drama movie that takes time out from all the flyin' and girl chasin' for a shirtless volleyball game.
Das Boot?

Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 02-10-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I loved Black Sheep Squadron. Today they'd call it a 'dramedy'. It was a drama built around a combination of humorous and deadly serious plots.

In tone it's probably closest to the movie version of MASH.

If you get a chance to read the autobiography of Greg 'Pappy' Boyington, I can highly recommend it. It's a very entertaining war biography written by a guy who was a huge hero and celebrity in WWII, who became a drunk and never really succeeded at anything again.

"Show me a hero, and I'll show you a bum." - Gregory 'Pappy' Boyington, top Marine fighter ace of WWII and Medal of Honor winner.

I believe the show recreated the Medal of Honor event, in which Boyington got tired of the enemy refusing to engage (because they got slaughtered against American Corsairs), so Boyington took the Black sheep out and they circled an enemy airstrip with 60 fighters on it, taunting them by radio to come up and fight. When the Japanese finally had it with the taunts against their honor they sent up their fighters, outnumbering the Blacksheep almost 3-1. The result was 20 Japanese planes downed, with the loss of one Corsair.

Conrad captured Boyington's spirit, swagger, and disdain for the brass very well. He'll be missed.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
He'd have been perfect as Napolean.
Now that you mention it . . . he did embody the correct attributes to make a very compelling Bonaparte.
Another domineering personality in an . . . um, compact frame, was Frank Lloyd Wright. Conrad didn't resemble him much, but with makeup and wardrobe could he have pulled off a biopic of "America's most famous architect"?
Old 02-10-2020, 05:48 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
If I recall: they had modern haircuts...and one of the flyers had two American stamps on his Corsair (?) because of friendly fire.
That would be Lt. Casey.

RIP, Bob, ya bantam bastard.