Old 02-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

For those of you who don't drive, you don't have a standard government-issued photo ID? Around here, the Dept. of Motor Vehicles issues non-drivers identification cards ("state I.D.") that have generally the same format as drivers licenses but are clearly marked as not for driving. I expect anyone around here who doesn't have a drivers license to nevertheless go to the D.M.V. to get a state I.D. You'll need it to get into bars, purchase alcohol, rent things (obviously not cars), get prescription or otherwise controlled medications, admission into secure buildings as a visitor, etc.

Last edited by Acsenray; 02-11-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:30 PM

Not only do I not go out without ID, I do not leave my yard without business cards...which I suppose would also qualify as a form of ID.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:34 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

As someone who doesn't have a smart phone - is there a way to put your ID on your phone? Yeah, I suppose you could photograph your license, and I've heard of putting EMERGENCY CONTACT in your contact list so if someone finds you unresponsive, they'd know who to call. But I think it would make sense to have a place on your phone where you'd have your name, address, photo, and maybe some contact numbers. Of course, if your phone is lost or stolen, someone else has access to that info.

I dunno... stream of consciousness here. But avoidance of being "John/Jane Doe" seems to be pretty important to me.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

It really depends on where I’m going. If I’m driving, I’ll take at least my phone case, which has my license. But if I’m walking to the store around the corner or if my husband is driving me to the drug store, I don’t necessarily bring it. I have never needed ID to pick up a prescription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
I have never needed ID to pick up a prescription.
I picked up a prescription for my gf a few years ago. The cashier asked me for her birthday. I'm bad with dates. I told her it was in January. She just stared at me. I admitted I was unsure of the date but it was definitely in the twenties. She said I needed the exact date. I picked three possibles and asked if it was one of them. She got fed up with me and finished the transaction. Talk about awkward.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:52 PM

I probably am out more without a gov't issued ID than I am with one. If I'm running or shooting (photos) in a deserted area/off time I usually have my RoadID on which is better than a DL as it has whatever emergency contact info you put on it. If you live alone, it does the authorities no good to know where you live if you're incapacitated/deceased in that they don't know how to notify next of kin.
I'm just going for a walk maybe no ID at all; especially when I'm walking her dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
If I'm leaving the house, even walking or just driving my kid to school in the morning while I'm wearing pajamas and snow boots (because they're faster to put on than my shoes), I always grab at least my driver's license and insurance card.
Sure, the likelihood of needing them in the 10 minutes that I'm gone is near zero, if something happens I do have them. I always think of the worse case scenario being that I get hit by a car or somehow otherwise end up unconscious, at least there's a fast way for people to figure out who I am.
PD can run the vehicle registration.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
In the UK, as SanVito has said, it's not legally required to carry ID even when driving
This part is shocking to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
For those of you who don't drive, you don't have a standard government-issued photo ID? Around here, the Dept. of Motor Vehicles issues non-drivers identification cards ("state I.D.") that have generally the same format as drivers licenses but are clearly marked as not for driving. I expect anyone around here who doesn't have a drivers license to nevertheless go to the D.M.V. to get a state I.D. You'll need it to get into bars, purchase alcohol, rent things (obviously not cars), get prescription or otherwise controlled medications, admission into secure buildings as a visitor, etc.
Ontario has an Ontario photo ID for people who don't drive. The institute for the blind pushed this, but people like myself get it as well since getting a driver's license is too hard if you don't know how to drive.

Last edited by Kimera757; 02-11-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:09 PM

I live in the UK.

I don't drive, so don't have a driving license.
I only carry a credit card if I'm planning to buy something.

Does a credit card count as ID?
(Obviously if the police were involved, they could trace my identity - but how would anyone else work out who I was?)
Old 02-11-2020, 03:10 PM

I always carry ID. In case the cops want to stop and frisk.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
For those of you who don't drive, you don't have a standard government-issued photo ID?
there's no such thing in the UK
Old 02-11-2020, 03:25 PM

I never leave the house without my wallet, including ID. You never know.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:47 PM

Always. My big Baggallini wallet contains DL marked "veteran", health / credit / debit / library / store cards, money, and US passport. Don't leave home without it. A chain holds house & cars keys, tiny Swiss Army knife, whistle, P38 can opener, Army dogtag, and tiny flashlight. If leaving house, grab those, Android phone, and voice recorder. If walking in the neighborhood (formerly with now-deceased dog), carry those, and a tinwhistle to repel attacks. Almost all that stuff (hopefully not the tinwhistle) can be useful or needed whenever I'm beyond our small acreage.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

For decades, the only time I went out with no ID was when I would go running at the school field a block away. Now that the knees have confined me to the treadmill (at the gym which I have to drive to) I pretty much never leave the house without ID. I've worked all my life on secure military compounds, which may have shaped the habit.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:03 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
As someone who doesn't have a smart phone - is there a way to put your ID on your phone? Yeah, I suppose you could photograph your license, and I've heard of putting EMERGENCY CONTACT in your contact list so if someone finds you unresponsive, they'd know who to call. But I think it would make sense to have a place on your phone where you'd have your name, address, photo, and maybe some contact numbers. Of course, if your phone is lost or stolen, someone else has access to that info.

I dunno... stream of consciousness here. But avoidance of being "John/Jane Doe" seems to be pretty important to me.
iPhone has something called Medical ID. You can access it by clicking "emergency" on the home screen without logging in (via passcode, thumbprint or facial recognition) and then "Medical ID" (the other option is a phone dialpad from which one can dial 911). This gives someone who isn't you access to your medical ID info.

Here's instructions on how to add Medical ID info to the iPhone.

You are right though - if the phone is lost or stolen, someone immediately has access to it. So, don't put your SSN or credit card

Oh and before smartphones, it was a big thing to put "ICE" as a contact name for a phone number in your phone. "In Case of Emergency".

Last edited by ZipperJJ; 02-11-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
iPhone has something called Medical ID. You can access it by clicking "emergency" on the home screen without logging in (via passcode, thumbprint or facial recognition) and then "Medical ID" (the other option is a phone dialpad from which one can dial 911). This gives someone who isn't you access to your medical ID info.
That only works if the phone isn't damaged (cracked screen) or destroyed & makes it to the hospital with you. If, for instance your phone was out when you car was hit, it could be anywhere in the passenger compartment (or even out of it) in an accident.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

If I'm going further than the end of my driveway, I will always have my wallet (with drivers license and various payment cards in it). Even if I'm not going that far, chances are I will grab either my phone or my keys (getting locked out of the house is not something anyone plans to do).
Old 02-11-2020, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I'm out in the country. I wander for miles at times with no ID on me.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I never leave the house without my wallet, including ID. You never know.
I always have my ID on me, even if I'm working out at the gym or swimming. This is so they can quickly identify the body if something were to happen to me.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:41 PM

My pants don't feel right without my wallet in my front pocket, so I carry ID even while inside the house.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

I carry my license when driving, but it stays in the car. There's no place in this county where I couldn't cash a check without an ID; it's a small town, and I am recognized by an amazing number of people. If I get hit by a car, the cop will probably know who I am without documentation unless I am decapitated and he can't see a face. So there's really no reason for me to carry an ID away from a car.

There is one exception...one grocery store has a policy of carding everyone, regardless of age or appearance, when buying liquor. 85 year-old grandmas get carded. 90 year-old grandpas get carded. I have my own policy of avoiding this store, and once left an entire shopping cart for them to put back when they wanted an ID and I couldn't provide it.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:10 PM

Domestically, I always have ID with me, at the very least because I'm driving. When I travel internationally and am parked in the city I'll be staying in, I leave my ID and most of my plastic in a safe at the hotel or AirBnB and just walk around with cash and a debit card to get more cash. And of course the hotel / airbnb swipe key if it's not a door-code setup.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:44 PM

My ID stays in my wallet, and I would almost never leave my apt without my wallet.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:16 PM

For the last ten years in the US, I never went out WITH any ID, unlesss I knew I was going to need it for some demanding reason. I did not drive, had a state ID and a passport. Before leaving the house, I'd slip my credit card or library card in my shirt pocket, depending on which I expected to need. I didn't carry keys, either, since I never locked my door.

You have no idea how liberating it feels, to not worry about that kind of shit.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:28 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
I've read a bunch of stories on sites like Not Always Right where a store clerk will ask for ID and the customer claims not to have any. These aren't necessarily underage kids trying to buy beer - some are adults who apparently don't carry ID with them.

I don't go anywhere without my purse, especially when driving, so I have my wallet and my license with me. Even on vacation in situations where I'm neither driving nor planning to buy alcohol, I'll make sure my license is in my pocket - how else will the police identify my body?? But seriously, it seems a simple, common-sense thing to have a form of identification on your person, just in case.

Do you ever wander about anonymously? If so, why?
I love reading that site =) I rarely go without my messenger bag, and have an everyday carry 'list' because it generally stays packed except for my daily pill pack [though I do actually keep 3 days of meds with the exception of my lantus, I have to grab my vial and syringe case and glucometer reader [I have a sensor that gets inserted into the back of my arm every 14 days]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I actually have dogtags on, most days.
I have medic alert info that needs to be clear if I have a problem.
I usually have my drivers lisc...even if I'm not driving, as well.
I also wear dogtags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
Normally I carry my photocard driving licence in my wallet, but I seem to have mislaid it at the moment, so I have to make a special effort to remember my passport if I'll be needing photo ID.

I have both the US passport and the passport ID card, the card is resident in my wallet, the passport is in my lockbox, I only get it out if we are leaving the country otehr than to Canada, for that I can use my passport card

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Don't go anywhere without -
  • Wallet, and thus my ID/drivers license.
  • Sunglasses (maybe if my Wife and I go out at night, but that's rare, we are homebodies, and live pretty remote)
  • Keys
  • Pocket knife
Hm, must not be glasses wearers for near/far sightedness? Our glasses are photogray/change to turn into sunglasses with solar exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I feel bad for anyone named Puddentaine who gets asked their name by the police. You just know it won't go well, no matter how often he repeats his name.
RPTFLMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Or, cut out the middledog and get yourself chipped.

Most of those Not Always Right stories where someone is being a jerk about showing their ID seem to be cases where someone just feels insulted by being asked for ID, or is being defiant just to be defiant.
I had actually been thinking of getting myself chipped I already have a bodytag. I ran into a guy last hospital stay who as a joke had a classic hospital bracelet tattooed on his wrist [name, blood type, DOB and a VR code, not sure what info it was though]
Old 02-12-2020, 01:29 AM

No I always have my ID with me as required by the authoritarian state of Japan, just like in the Chinas and the Koreas.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
No I always have my ID with me as required by the authoritarian state of Japan, just like in the Chinas and the Koreas.
Here in Philippines, it is not required to carry ID at all times, either for nationals or aliens. But my wife keeps my old expired ACR in her purse. I keep the current one safely at home. My wife has no national ID as such, but for day-to-day, any government-issued card will do. Neither of us drive, so no DL.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For the last ten years in the US, I never went out WITH any ID, unlesss I knew I was going to need it for some demanding reason. I did not drive, had a state ID and a passport. Before leaving the house, I'd slip my credit card or library card in my shirt pocket, depending on which I expected to need. I didn't carry keys, either, since I never locked my door.

You have no idea how liberating it feels, to not worry about that kind of shit.
It must be very liberating to have the privilege not to worry about that shit.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
It must be very liberating to have the privilege not to worry about that shit.
It's liberating to recognize the privilege and exercise it.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
My pants don't feel right without my wallet in my front pocket, so I carry ID even while inside the house.
Wait, you wear pants while inside your house?!
Old 02-12-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
That's me.

I won't go outside without pants, obviously. The last time I forgot to take my wallet with me was a pain. I was excited about getting a new computer but had to rush to work. I only realized I didn't have my ID on the subway. I had less than $1.00 in change on me, plus a couple of bus tokens (but at least I had packed my lunch).

Quote:
Is that unusual? I have something like sweat pants or pajama pants I wear at home, but I'm not going to walk around in only boxers or briefs even at home.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:56 AM

I've read the numerous reasons why people don't carry an ID and, on any of the many ordinary and uneventful days of our lives, they are quite acceptable. Thing is, sometimes "shit happens" in a totally unexpected and shockingly rapid way. Thus the counter reason, "just in case".

"Chance favors the prepared mind."
Old 02-12-2020, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
That's me.

I won't go outside without pants, obviously. The last time I forgot to take my wallet with me was a pain. I was excited about getting a new computer but had to rush to work. I only realized I didn't have my ID on the subway. I had less than $1.00 in change on me, plus a couple of bus tokens (but at least I had packed my lunch).

Is that unusual? I have something like sweat pants or pajama pants I wear at home, but I'm not going to walk around in only boxers or briefs even at home.
I donít know how common this is, but as soon as I get home my shows and pants come off. Pants are worn only for company.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:39 AM

Re: the "just in case" folk - that is a mindset I am careful not to cleave to firmly to. I don't want to style my life assuming the worst possible thing is going to happen to me at any instance. Not saying carrying an ID isn't reasonable, but it is not an instinctual reaction for me. Further, in this era of seemingly increasing intrusions into privacy/anonymity, I get a sense of pleasure out of being relatively anonymous.

My job required a reasonably significant security clearance, so my fingerprints are in numerous databases. So my dead body would not go undetected for long.

There was a local case last year or 2, where an elderly woman went to a suburban gym. On the way home, on a busy suburban road, she dropped dead. She happened to fall in a way that she rolled down an embankment into an area of unmaintained brush. I forget whether she did not have her cellphone, or if it was off or dead, but she lay there - feet from a heavily trafficked sidewalk and road - for DAYS!

When I used to run, at times I would go out in nothing other than shorts/socks/shoes. I considered the utility of some durable ID tag that could be affixed to one's shoelaces... I later began slipping my license into that tiny pocket inside running shorts.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:00 AM

Well, no ID when I'm outside working around the house, of course. But also when I go for a walk.

At other times, since I will be driving, I have to have it.

On those rare occasions when I'm riding with Mrs. FtG I take my wallet since I might have to take over driving. On the incredibly rare occasions I'm riding with someone else, I have my wallet so I can pay for stuff or whatever since we're generally going to something like a restaurant.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I picked up a prescription for my gf a few years ago. The cashier asked me for her birthday. I'm bad with dates. I told her it was in January. She just stared at me. I admitted I was unsure of the date but it was definitely in the twenties. She said I needed the exact date. I picked three possibles and asked if it was one of them. She got fed up with me and finished the transaction. Talk about awkward.
My guess is that this is about making sure they don't hand you a prescription for someone with the same or similar name, but who would probably have a different birthday.

These days when I go to the doctor I have to recite my birthdate for each successive person I see in the office. They're not trying to proof me, they're doublechecking that they're about to run the test on, or look at the records of, or whatever, the right person.

I've had it happen at least once that when they heard the birthdate they looked back at the file and said whoops, wrong Firstname Lastname.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:07 AM

Not unless I forgot it (almost never).
Old 02-12-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
AIUI, in most/all states, you're required to present a valid driver's license if you're stopped while operating a motor vehicle.
Here in Florida, if you cannot produce the license on the spot or otherwise convince the officer that you are licensed, the officer can charge you with driving without a license. Before or during your court appearance, for a $5 fee, you can take your license to the county clerk and dismiss the charge. Fla. Stat. ß 322.03(6) (2019).

~Max
Old 02-12-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max S. View Post
Here in Florida, if you cannot produce the license on the spot or otherwise convince the officer that you are licensed, the officer can charge you with driving without a license. Before or during your court appearance, for a $5 fee, you can take your license to the county clerk and dismiss the charge. Fla. Stat. ß 322.03(6) (2019).

~Max
I had an experience with this, back in the 80s. When I was in college I got pulled over on my way to work. When I got my wallet out to show my license, I discovered it missing, along with my school ID. I had two choices: go to jail and wait to see the judge, or pay the fines for speeding and driving without a license in cash - but if I could produce the license within X (I don't remember how many) days the no license ticket would be dismissed and I'd get my money back. I had no cash, but the officer was kind enough to follow me to the bank. And no, I didn't give the cash to the officer. He provided an envelope addressed to the city court house and watched me put the cash in and mail it. I got my license back by calling the school, where I was told I'd left them both in a store where I'd written a check, and my fine for no license was refunded. (But not the fine for speeding).
Old 02-12-2020, 01:42 PM

I once pulled into a gas station and immediately realized I'd forgotten my wallet, so I pulled right back out onto the road again. A cop then pulled me over for evading the redlight. I explained that I was out of gas (and showed him my gas gauge) but had forgotten my wallet, so I immediately exited the gas station. No evasion.

Then he asked for my license. I reminded him that I'd forgotten my wallet. He initially told me I'd be getting two tickets (one for evading the light and one for no driver's license) but then he realized that there was a Catch-22 here. Eventually he let me go, laughing.

Quote:
I donít know how common this is, but as soon as I get home my shows and pants come off. Pants are worn only for company.
Yep, when I come home my shoes come off at the door along with my pants. In the winter I wear pajama pants, in the summer I wear shorts. Pants are what I wear to work.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:48 PM

I go out without any ID virtually every day for my 5k run. No way would I bother to grab my DL as it would take extra time and I'd have to remember to return it to my wallet when I came back.

I also occasionally make quick runs to the transfer station without taking my purse, if my arms are full of garbage bags and I don't want to take the time to go back to the house. I've been told the HI police will look you up in their data base to verify you have a license, if needed, and the transfer station is about 2 minutes from the house anyway, so no big deal.

In all other circumstances, I make sure to carry ID, health insurance info, a little cash, and possibly a credit card. My wallet has everything, but my purse is awkward if I'm doing an outdoors activity like hiking, so for that I will throw the essentials into a backpack or fanny pack, being sure to return them when I get home.

What I find weird about buying liquor while claiming not to have ID is that, if I'm carrying money or a credit card, I'll also have ID.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:53 PM

It depends on what you mean by "out." I never walk farther from my house than to empty my trash, and if I am driving, I carry my ID if for no other reason than it is also my driver's license.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yep, except for when I dress specifically for sleeping or exercising (or undress for showering). I wear jeans to work, and they're comfy enough I don't need to change for home.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Murray, is that you?
Old 02-12-2020, 02:24 PM

When I'm driving I normally carry my drivers license --- unless I've lost it again, which does happen. But when taking public transport (and I didn't own a car for many years) probably not. And the same is still true for a lot of other people. But it's interesting to see that when university students get challenged for not using a ticket --- they use their phone for ID. The ticket inspectors will ask for ID, they can arrest you if you don't provide ID, but they will accept calling up somebody from your phone, asking the other person what your name and address is.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For those of you who don't drive, you don't have a standard government-issued photo ID?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Is that just for citizens? I ask because I'm American and my son is attending university in the UK. As part of applying for his Tier 4 (student) visa, he had to get pictures and fingerprints taken at a US Homeland Security office which were transmitted to the UK and put on a Biometric Residency Permit (BRP), which he then had to pick up at a UK post office within 7 days of arrival. It's a plastic ID card about the size of a credit card/driver license. He needs this to reenter the country legally. He also needed it at his GP to prove he was eligible to access National Health Services.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:29 PM

For anyone who doesn't take any ID with them, please start. Not for you, but for the healthcare workers who have to call someone and tell them you're unconscious in the emergency room. We're grateful our kid did after he was hit by a car.

Since I've been hit a few times commuting by bike, the wife often yells "Have a nice ride! Gotcher ID?"
Old 02-12-2020, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
So if you donít drive and you donít have a passport, how do you prove your identity/age/residence etc.? Itís hard to believe it never comes up.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So if you donít drive and you donít have a passport, how do you prove your identity/age/residence etc.? Itís hard to believe it never comes up.
I'm going to take a wild guess - but I'm going to assume that adults who don't have a driver's license get a passport. I think in the US, the main reason people get non-driver IDs is the difference in cost. It's actually easier for some people to meet the documentation requirement for a passport than for a non-driver ID as proof of residence is not needed for a passport.

* which is not the same thing as not driving - I know people with licenses who haven't driven since their road test.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 PM

Here in Louisiana we have an app for that.
https://lawallet.com

so, I have an official ID whenever I have my phone. But since I always have my meatspace wallet when I have my phone, it is kind of redundant.

But the la wallet is kind of cool. Apparently its major intended use is proving one's identity when entering bars. Since that isn't something I do, I got it for the novelty.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I've read a bunch of stories on sites like Not Always Right where a store clerk will ask for ID and the customer claims not to have any. These aren't necessarily underage kids trying to buy beer - some are adults who apparently don't carry ID with them.

I don't go anywhere without my purse, especially when driving, so I have my wallet and my license with me. Even on vacation in situations where I'm neither driving nor planning to buy alcohol, I'll make sure my license is in my pocket - how else will the police identify my body?? But seriously, it seems a simple, common-sense thing to have a form of identification on your person, just in case.

Do you ever wander about anonymously? If so, why?
I don't. I never leave the house without my wallet, which contains driver's license, credit cards, health insurance card, and various other stuff.

But my wife never carries ID. Ever. She drives me nuts. She says it's afraid she'll lose it (and she probably would), but it's a bad idea. And her fear of losing stuff doesn't stop her from carrying a credit card or two, and cash, and a key card to get into her office (all of which she loses semi-regularly).

And she drives like that. No license with her. She does not carry her green card. I believe resident aliens are required to carry the card (not that circumstances are likely to arise in which she'd have to present it). She does not carry a health insurance card. If she ever had an accident that rendered her unconscious, it would be a huge problem.

She will carry her green card and passport when leaving/returning to the US, obviously, but that's the only time she will ever carry ID.