Old 02-12-2020, 07:48 AM

My late kitty Sandstone discovered that the toy catnip mouse my friend made and sent to him - the outside was a long fleece fabric - slid beautifully in the bathtub. So I'm lying there trying to sleep and hear weird spunds. I get up, and there he is in the bathtub batting that thing and then chasing after it. I stared at him, he looked all "problem, mom?" and I went back to bed.

Remember not all cats like nip and some practically turn into addicts.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
So I'm lying there trying to sleep and hear weird spunds.
Often when I see a funny typo I google to see if it is actually a real word anywhere. This one is...interesting.
I don't know if they have catnip in them or not, but earlier this week I walked outside and found 3 cat toys (that I never bought) in front of my porch, and a 4th one the next day. I have burglar cats.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
Kittens see litter boxes as places to play.
Our girl had a habit of bringing out old, dry poop and playing with it. Replacing the domed litter box with a more traditional one helped put a stop to that.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:33 PM

This is the brand you want. Solid wood, not cardboard.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:07 PM

A video I saw yesterday gave me a new question. I know kittens play fight and it's usually okay when they do, but what are signs that it's not just a scuffle and you should referee?
Old 03-01-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
A video I saw yesterday gave me a new question. I know kittens play fight and it's usually okay when they do, but what are signs that it's not just a scuffle and you should referee?
Do not referee. You might be on the receiving end of bites and scratches. They are determining a pecking order and your involvment only delays the determination, but doesn't stop it. Yell if you want. Try to distract with treats or toys. Do not get in the middle.

I speak from experience.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:19 PM

If you really have to break up a cat fight, don't put your hands in there, throw water on them. (Don't do this if the fighting cats are outside and the temperature is below freezing.)

You're unlikely to really need to break up a kitten fight. Just keep an eye on whether any of them has started to try to live entirely in hiding (not counting the first couple of days after arrival.)

-- It's not nearly as simple as determining a pecking order. I've known the cat that always won the prime spot on the bed to be the one who always lost the kitten fights. I've also known feline pecking orders to be circular: cat A dominated cats B and C; cats B and C dominated cat D; cat D dominated cat A.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
I would agree with do not referee. They are just playing. Sometimes the play turns more serious but they will figure it out. If they are just insulting each other and hissing you could grab one and keep it in a separate room for awhile.

Mine, now a year and a half old, fight ALL the time. They are just having fun. Pouncing, chasing each other through the house, wrestling. I have yet to hear a hiss though. (When they're fighting. One of them hissed when he got stepped on, and the other one hissed when he got his claw caught in a sliding door. So, having had them for a year and some change, that is one hiss per cat.) If they are doing it at night, when we are trying to sleep, we throw them out of the bedroom.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:23 AM

The amount of hissing, and the meaning of a hiss, can vary greatly depending on the cat. Some cats only hiss when they are Extremely Upset. Others hiss when they're only mildly annoyed. The same is true of growling. So go by the rest of the behavior of the cat until you know about that particular cat (unless of course the question is 'shall I pat or pick up this strange cat?' in which case always assume a hiss or growl is a strong No.)

I had for many years a pair of littermates (one of them still surviving) who would wrestle every morning; sometimes at other times also, of course. And, once they hit around six months old and brother got larger than sister, every time they wrestled, sooner or later sister would get pinned down; and she would hiss and growl and snarl about it, and then run off swearing when she got loose. But half the time when they were kittens, and some of the time when they were older, she initiated the games; and all through their lives until his last illness they slept curled up together, and all the way to the end of his life they washed each other.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:07 PM

Kittens, being kittens, WILL get stepped on. Fortunately, they come equipped with a loud "stepped on" alarm. And since their little bones are made of rubber, they usually come to no harm.

You, of course, will have a heart attack and a serious case of the guilts.

Kittens' little brains have no room for things like retaliation or revenge or permanent escape. God did permit them to be equipped with one or two learning brain cells, and they mostly will avoid the immediate "under foot" vicinity.

Or not.

Every one reading this thread is insanely jealous! We would dearly love a nest of babies to cuddle and play with.

For maybe forty-five minutes. Then you can have them back.

~VOW
Old 03-04-2020, 08:53 AM

Oddly, I have had good luck training two kittens. I am of the opinion that cats do not react to the human voice. When scratching the cat with one hand, click the fingers of the other hand. Both grown cats continued to come when called when fingers were clicked for as long as I knew them.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-04-2020, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Ah, kittens. Fond memories of one that loved to climb my trouser leg... especially that time I had just stepped out of the shower.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Oddly, I have had good luck training two kittens. I am of the opinion that cats do not react to the human voice. When scratching the cat with one hand, click the fingers of the other hand. Both grown cats continued to come when called when fingers were clicked for as long as I knew them.
They do react to human voices, but yeah you can train them in other ways too. Those last kittens I mentioned in the first post were my family's last indoor/outdoor cats and my parents trained them to come in for the night by flicking the porch lights. They would come running almost 100% of the time because they knew that flicking lights = we go in and get our dinner.

Last edited by elfkin477; 03-08-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I had a pair of kittens who took apart a box spring from underneath, pulling out all of its insides. (Box springs of that type, it turns out, work fine even without their insides; it's the framework that was doing all the work.)
Mine did this too! Then they'd crawl up inside and make a den out of it. It worked very well against the dogs. They'd get upset if we sat over their heads though.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:59 PM

They squish easily, especially hairy black kittens on hairy black carpets. Watch where you walk.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:49 PM

I'm cooped up at home, bored, lonely with only the fish to keep me company, and panic buying kittens. Kidding!

But I did put down deposits for both kittens today Well, deposits for kittens-to-be, neither is born yet, and the Balinese actually hasn't been conceived yet. But still, I should have them both by late August at the latest.

Not sure if I'm going to wait that long for the shelter kitten/young cat that'll round out the trio, though. I put in an inquiry at a shelter about a young orange and white boy on Monday, but no news yet about whether or not he's still available...no news could literally mean anything at the moment given shelters are all apt-only here now as of this week.