Old 02-10-2020, 04:13 PM

"Network" on TCM @ Midnight

It's one of the greatest movies ever... Watch it. It has probably more relevance today with the influence of media (and you can factor in the internet simultaneously).

I'll stop there so its not a spoiler, but maybe after you can reply with your thoughts and we can have a discussion? I don't have the channel, but I do have it on VHS and might watch it again to re-freshen for a great discussion.

(Or would this be better suited for "Mundane Things I Must Share"?)
Old 02-10-2020, 06:17 PM

Nope, it's in the right place.

Trivia: Faye Dunaway was braless in all her scenes.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

"THAT! Is the ATOMIC! And Sub-ATOMIC! And GALACTIC! Structure of Things...TO-DAY!"

I literally have that speech memorized. Alas, there are few opportunities to use that in real-life settings.

But I wish there were...
Old 02-10-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Nope, it's in the right place.

The local Fox affiliate, when it first started up, showed it uncut and unbleeped, so she was bouncing all over the place while she rode Holden like a cowgirl.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:12 PM

In 1976, it was prophetic.

In 2020 it's quaint and naive.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 02-10-2020 at 11:13 PM. Reason: what year is this?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Saw the play on Broadway last year, with Brian Cranston. It was amazing and he got robbed at the Tony's. Great movie, awesome play.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the heads-up. It's one of my favourite movies. I'll be watching.

Never knew that about Faye Dunaway. Yep, I'll be watching for sure.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 PM

I'll be watching. If my TV quits teasing me. We're having lots-o-rain. My direcTV isn't cooperating.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I'll be watching. If my TV quits teasing me. We're having lots-o-rain. My direcTV isn't cooperating.
Darn.. I tried looking for it online to paste here, no such luck.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:07 AM

I especially thought it was fitting of how Diana (Faye Dunaway) got off. When William Holden breaks up with her, you see the moral divide between generations, too. Mass media (and a ton of fake news) gets passed on so quickly, even by mistake sometimes. It seems most things on Retwitter are re-tweets.

Ned Beatty's speech is one of the best scenes in movies (on YouTube, luckily). People DO need to get mad and not take it anymore, but doing something more than sitting (like I am right now) and typing it out. As they say "All politics is local". Do what you can. .. Speaking of movies, I think spreading great film is one of the best methods for good influence. People aren't really reading books anymore, or the academic journals.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
More trivia: So was Peter Finch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
In 1976, it was prophetic.
In 2020 it's quaint and naive.
Well, I don't think the Holden character's speech denouncing his younger lover has held up: "You ARE television" doesn't seem very devastating anymore. 'You ARE the Internet' might work.....but then again, it's kind of trite. So, people born after a certain year have short attention spans, and shallow interests....is that a moral failing, or is it attributable to their upbringing? Isn't every element of our economy encouraging them to be shallow and easily bored? Because it's easier to part them from their money if they are shallow and easily bored?

But the rest of it---the 'there are no nations, there is only money' theme---seems as relevant now as it was then. And the storyline about people responding to the Finch character's anger, but not to his more depressing message post-Arthur-Jensen-Face-of-God encounter, is very, very believable.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Saw the play on Broadway last year, with Brian Cranston. It was amazing and he got robbed at the Tony's. Great movie, awesome play.
Bryan Cranston won the Tony for Best Actor for Network last year.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
More trivia: So was Peter Finch!

Well, I don't think the Holden character's speech denouncing his younger lover has held up: "You ARE television" doesn't seem very devastating anymore. 'You ARE the Internet' might work.....but then again, it's kind of trite. So, people born after a certain year have short attention spans, and shallow interests....is that a moral failing, or is it attributable to their upbringing? Isn't every element of our economy encouraging them to be shallow and easily bored? Because it's easier to part them from their money if they are shallow and easily bored?

But the rest of it---the 'there are no nations, there is only money' theme---seems as relevant now as it was then. And the storyline about people responding to the Finch character's anger, but not to his more depressing message post-Arthur-Jensen-Face-of-God encounter, is very, very believable.

It seems EVERYONE on the news has been Jensen'd.. Or other powerful positions, politics, etc.,.. They might enter in trying to do good, but learn about the game. I just saw an old video of Joe Biden saying how he wanted to prostitute himself, but that the money men said "You're too young, come back when you are older", probably to see how HE plays the game.

Finch's character from idealist to cynic is sad. Beatty's speech is excellent. There is no patriotism, it's only a facade to get people to buy their junk.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
"THAT! Is the ATOMIC! And Sub-ATOMIC! And GALACTIC! Structure of Things...TO-DAY!"

I literally have that speech memorized. Alas, there are few opportunities to use that in real-life settings.

But I wish there were...
A few years ago, I did have the chance to tell someone "You have meddled with the primal forces of nature" (he brought broccoli instead of doughnuts to an office celebration)
Old 02-12-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
It seems EVERYONE on the news has been Jensen'd.. Or other powerful positions, politics, etc.,.. They might enter in trying to do good, but learn about the game. I just saw an old video of Joe Biden saying how he wanted to prostitute himself, but that the money men said "You're too young, come back when you are older", probably to see how HE plays the game.

Finch's character from idealist to cynic is sad. Beatty's speech is excellent. There is no patriotism, it's only a facade to get people to buy their junk.
Great points.

I hate to see anyone talk about Network as being outmoded or in any way not worth seeing. It's still essential viewing IMO.