Old 02-11-2020, 10:18 AM

Question about blurred house on Google Earth street view

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6446...7i16384!8i8192

This house, in an average area in Kitsap County, Washington, has been intentionally blurred in this street view. I cannot imagine a rationale for that. Any ideas?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:30 AM

Google will do that by request.

Hunting for houses last year, we ran across a few of these, oddly including one for sale.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:32 AM

Because the owner/resident requested it, most likely. From the Street View policy page:

Quote:
If you see that your face or license plate requires additional blurring, or if you would like us to blur your entire house, car, or body, submit a request using the "Report a problem" tool.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:32 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Most likely, the resident submitted a request to Google to blue out his/her house. Some people consider it an invasion of their privacy and/or they just don't like it for some reason. Google makes it easy to do this: See here

They likely didn't realize that Google isn't the only player in town, or maybe Microsoft doesn't make it as easy to opt-out, because the house is viewable on Bing Maps street view.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 AM

Thanks all. I had no idea that could be done. It seemed too random for anyone at Google to care. It must have been the owner's request.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Google will do that by request.

Hunting for houses last year, we ran across a few of these, oddly including one for sale.
I've shopped at least a few houses that were beautifully renovated for which Google had badly outdated pictures that showed overgrown trees, broken pavement, failing roof, etc. Someone selling a house can't make Google take a new picture but they can at least make sure that buyers aren't seeing the house when it was a wreck. It might be a smart move to ask Google to take the picture down.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired and Cranky View Post
I've shopped at least a few houses that were beautifully renovated for which Google had badly outdated pictures that showed overgrown trees, broken pavement, failing roof, etc. Someone selling a house can't make Google take a new picture but they can at least make sure that buyers aren't seeing the house when it was a wreck. It might be a smart move to ask Google to take the picture down.
Good point.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:30 AM

Mr. brown had an unwanted and disliked relative show up on our porch one day, which angered him so much that he went to Google Maps and asked them to blur out our house. It was done, and the blurring took out a couple of houses in all directions, too! I read that you can't undo this once it's done. Our neighbors must wonder why their houses are blurred out.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
Mr. brown had an unwanted and disliked relative show up on our porch one day, which angered him so much that he went to Google Maps and asked them to blur out our house. It was done, and the blurring took out a couple of houses in all directions, too! I read that you can't undo this once it's done. Our neighbors must wonder why their houses are blurred out.
Id love to have him explain how he thinks that will help keep visitors away. I mean, they already have your address if they are using street view.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:47 PM

I really wonder why Google bothers with the blurring. It's my understanding that if you're on public land anything you photograph is fair game.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I really wonder why Google bothers with the blurring. It's my understanding that if you're on public land anything you photograph is fair game.
It is the decent thing to do, once upon a time they had a motto of "Don't Be Evil" and then "Do the right thing".
Old 02-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

There are places in the streetview coverage map with small gaps. These were apparently entire locations removed from the database. Just blurring out a house wasn't enough for whatever they were trying to suppress there.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:11 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Id love to have him explain how he thinks that will help keep visitors away. I mean, they already have your address if they are using street view.
They can't see if you're home.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
He wasn't thinking with the logical side of his brain that day. He was extremely pissed off, and probably felt that this was his "fuck you" to any estranged family members trying to look him up.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 AM

I was "roaming" the town my folks lived in back in the late 40s a bit ago. I was looking for the house they lived in using pics I had recently acquired. (It's not that big of a town.)*

Came across one of those blurred houses. Made be very curious. Thanks to online records and such, found out who owned it, pics of it from real estate site, etc. Just seemed like a regular person.

Yeah, that person really knows how to protect their privacy.

I have also noticed sometimes Google Street View "skipping" a house. I soon realized that it often meant it was a celebrity home. Something easy enough to check and find which celeb online. So another smart move.

One should think of doing this as a variation of the Streisand Effect.

* I soon found out from a relative that they also briefly lived in another place around that time. So I may have been searching the wrong town. The relative "knows" where these houses are but not the addresses. But she'll do a drive sometime and get the addresses. I really want to get proper labels on these old pics.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:01 AM

"The Streisand Effect" I had never heard it before but have observed it first hand. While wombling around some local streets I saw a blurred-out house. The next chance I got, I made a deliberate detour to see if there was anything different about it. There wasn't.

I wonder how many other people have done the same thing?

Last edited by bob++; 02-12-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob++ View Post
"The Streisand Effect" I had never heard it before but have observed it first hand. While wombling around some local streets I saw a blurred-out house. The next chance I got, I made a deliberate detour to see if there was anything different about it. There wasn't.

I wonder how many other people have done the same thing?
Probably lots.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
It was done, and the blurring took out a couple of houses in all directions, too! I read that you can't undo this once it's done.
Did they send you a letter or anything to verify the request is valid?
Old 02-12-2020, 11:47 AM

Home Depots top seller right now is blurry paint.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It is the decent thing to do, once upon a time they had a motto of "Don't Be Evil" and then "Do the right thing".
But what good does it do? In fact you get people curious , and more publicity. As bob++ puts it- "The Streisand Effect" .

So, it doesnt help and likely hurts.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
But what good does it do? In fact you get people curious , and more publicity. As bob++ puts it- "The Streisand Effect" .

Let me just check with Sundar Pichai, see what he has to say about that.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
Did they send you a letter or anything to verify the request is valid?
It was a few years ago, and I don't know - I wasn't involved.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Let me just check with Sundar Pichai, see what he has to say about that.
Maybe you could say what you mean?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:37 PM

My neighbor blurred his garage out. Why? Because the garage door happened to be up at the time the Google car came down the street. In his garage is a rather impressive collection of vintage silver-faced audio amplifiers and receivers from the 1970s and early 80s - nearly 60 of them. They were on view on Google Earth/Maps. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by MrFloppy; 02-12-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Maybe you could say what you mean?
I did already. Try rereading it, it was simple enough.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I did already. Try rereading it, it was simple enough.

"Let me just check with Sundar Pichai, see what he has to say about that."

So, what did he have to say about that? Did you call him? email? Or is this some snark that I am supposed to know who he is, and thus know what he'd say about the subject? Note that his Wiki page does say is the CEO of a company that owns Google, but there's no quotes from him about Google earth. Do you have a quote from him? If so, why not just post it, instead of snark?

You post makes no sense at all.

Last edited by DrDeth; 02-12-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:

So, what did he have to say about that? Did you call him? email? Or is this some snark that I am supposed to know who he is, and thus know what he'd say about the subject? Note that his Wiki page does say is the CEO of a company that owns Google, but there's no quotes from him about Google earth. Do you have a quote from him? If so, why not just post it, instead of snark?

Are you serious? I feel like I am chatting with someone on the spectrum. If so, I'm sorry. I was being mildly snarky with a joke like I could talk to the CEO of Google about why they do what they do. I thought what I first posted that you questioned was pretty obvious, but apparently not so.

So have a good night.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:40 PM

Note also that you can't go down that side road; it's probably a private community of some sort that doesn't want to be findable on Google Maps and they just couldn't afford to put up a gate system. The guy stuck at the corner wanted some measure of privacy so he asked to have his house blurred out.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Not in all countries, though. In Germany there were so many blur requests that Google basically gave up on that country and, for the most part, Switzerland and Austria too. They say it'd for privacy but then it seems to me if they don't want me seeing their country on a computer then I don't feel welcome to visit in person either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2020, 09:47 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

Quote:
Are you serious? I feel like I am chatting with someone on the spectrum. If so, I'm sorry. I was being mildly snarky with a joke like I could talk to the CEO of Google about why they do what they do. I thought what I first posted that you questioned was pretty obvious, but apparently not so.

So have a good night.
Moderator Note

Let's desist with the off topic posts. No warnings issued.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 02-13-2020, 05:25 AM

Never mind, didn't see moderator note. Sorry.

Last edited by cochrane; 02-13-2020 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:31 AM

I know a guy who is a private investigator with many cars he uses. He blurs his property so no one can see that. I don't know if that's paranoid or smart, but he can ask for it and get it.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Lots of things that are perfectly legal are nevertheless shitty things to do. If a homeowner doesn't want their house visible on Google street view, it's only fair for Google to address their concerns. It buys Google some goodwill, keeps the owner happy, and there's very little downside.

I do think the permanent nature of the blurring is a little weird. What if the house is sold and the next owner really wants it to be visible?
Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
But what good does it do?
It fosters goodwill with the person (and the public in general) whos property they are using, without permission, to make money.

The fact that this might backfire for the requester is irrelevant.

Last edited by Lucas Jackson; 02-13-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I don’t know. How many people, if they see a blurred house, are actually going to go through the trouble of driving there in person to see what’s going on? I certainly wouldn’t, unless I had specific and personal reason to be suspicious about that house.

Last edited by suranyi; 02-13-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:31 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
They likely didn't realize that Google isn't the only player in town, or maybe Microsoft doesn't make it as easy to opt-out, because the house is viewable on Bing Maps street view.
Same car, but no camper.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
I do think the permanent nature of the blurring is a little weird. What if the house is sold and the next owner really wants it to be visible?
Is it permanent in that future images are also blurred? Streetview cars will go over the same road multiple times in different years. I've seen some places that have as many as a couple dozen images from the same spot. So does anyone wanting to blur their house have to give repeated requests or do they blur them in future images automatically? If the latter, then the new owner just has to wait for the next visit of the car. Otherwise, maybe they can cancel the request for future images.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpluc View Post
Home Depots top seller right now is blurry paint.
I think the manufacturer is BigFoot Pigments. They also make Loch Ness Fuzzy Film.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Better plan -- blur the house next door to your house.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:18 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivekiller View Post
Better plan -- blur the house next door to your house.
Nefarious!
Old 02-15-2020, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, but if visitors turn up, they will think they have the wrong address because the actual house will not be blurry.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:39 PM

Germans are very conscious of privacy and data protection for historical reasons and many Germans have had their houses blurred. When a lot of people do it the Streissand effect dilutes to homeopathic levels. I do not think that it is a smart or useful move (anymore) nor would I do it myself (I live in a flat in a bigger building anyway), but I can understand it. It was much more common when Google Maps was a novelty, today most have given up.
But don't get me started about Facebook! Any spanner in their works I not only understand but support wholeheartedly!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:19 AM

I really don't understand what evil deeds people think they'd open themselves up to if their house is on Google Maps. "Oh, no! Strangers will see that we can afford a mailbox and a screen door!"

If I'm that irrationally worried about privacy, then I'm going to post a sign on our sidewalk:
"You're welcome to walk on this sidewalk,
but as you do so, please do NOT look at our house.
Thank you.
"
Then I'll count the people who can't help but look.

So I wouldn't care, unless the Google Camera Car caught me peeing in my front yard.

(which they didn't. I closed my robe and was politely waving at the car by the time it was at our house)

Last edited by digs; 02-17-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I can think of lits of potential reasons:

- Your house has a zoning violation, and you don't want officials to be able to easily see it if they go street view fishing.
- Your car is parked in the driveway with license plate visible.
- You don't want to help thieves who might canvas Google Street View for houses without alarm signs, or with certain types of windows that are easily defeated, or for signs of wealth.
- the house was in a state of disrepair and you don't want that in the public record.

There could be a thousand other reasons unique to an individual's circumstances.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Success story

When I bought my house, it came with some window air conditioner units and some pieces of wood with loose brackets but it wasn't clear which unit & wood chunk went with which windows. Streetview was very useful in estsblishing how the previous owner can installed the A/Cs and saved me a lot of back-breaking and finger-pinching trial and error.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I can think of lits of potential reasons:

- Your house has a zoning violation, and you don't want officials to be able to easily see it if they go street view fishing.
- Your car is parked in the driveway with license plate visible.
- You don't want to help thieves who might canvas Google Street View for houses without alarm signs, or with certain types of windows that are easily defeated, or for signs of wealth.
- the house was in a state of disrepair and you don't want that in the public record.

There could be a thousand other reasons unique to an individual's circumstances.
I get most of these, and the thousand other possible reasons. But what is the harm in having someone see your license plate?
Old 02-17-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I get most of these, and the thousand other possible reasons. But what is the harm in having someone see your license plate?
Well, it could be your lover's car, and you'd rather your wife or her husband doesn't know it.

More generally, you might not want someone who has a stolen database keyed to license plates being able to connect that data with street view. For example, if someone has location data, they could then know which homes currently have their occupants on vacation.

As a general rule, privacy in the modern age means trying to limit your data footprint as much as possible. This shit is being archived. Are you sure you trust the AI and database tech of the future to not use that data for nefarious purposes? For example, a fast image search of Google data might be able to find your car by license plate, and then locate it using street view data.

Do you trust the police to not go on fishing expeditions with that data? Or a malicious entity like a scammer who now has more personal information about you they can use to steal your identity? Knowing your address, type of house, plate number and make and model of car you drive might give someone enough personal info about you to to impersonate you and gain access to other data or finances.

For various reasons, apparently Google now blurs license plates in street view.