Old 02-12-2020, 02:53 PM

How many guitar picks do you have?

I've never played guitar, but my teenage son has two of them-one acoustic and one electric. And about 5000 guitar picks. All different colors, shapes, sizes, and materials; some with logos or band names on them, some look like a thick ring with a big fingernail. He's fashioned guitar picks out of quarters, nickels, and various foreign coins and tokens. They are everywhere in our house. In cups, saucers, scattered about the coffee table and countertops. Everywhere.

Then we're out shopping yesterday and what does he buy? You guessed it: guitar picks. Do other guitar players collect/hoard picks like this? What causes this obsession? Can he be helped?
Old 02-12-2020, 03:11 PM

I play acoustic for my own satisfaction but don’t use a pick. I have several that I got out geocachers however.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:16 PM

I have several hundred different types of picks. I have never counted but I have a couple of small containers filled with them. It took me a long time to find one that I really liked and even then I continued to try new ones until I did, in fact, find the perfect pick. I own roughly 30 of them; I put a new one in use every 2 years at the moment. I'll prolly bump that up to every 3 or 4 years now as I'm hoping they'll last me the rest of my life; I have 9 left still in the packaging. It's a long, sad story why but they are no longer manufactured, so these are all I'll ever have.

For the record, I'm talking about the Cymbolic Extra Heavy Blues pick; it's the bomb.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-12-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I've bought several million or so. Where they've all gone I have no idea.

(I'm an orange Tortex guy.)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:45 PM

I have 2. One from Max Caveliera. And the other from Jeff Hanneman's memorial service held at the Hollywood Palladium. Looks like this... https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ial-1868650649

Last edited by snfaulkner; 02-12-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:49 PM

I have a punch to make them with. It punches really thin paper to really thick plastic.
My brother prefers the ones I've sent him made from plastic yellow milk cartons.
I have exactly one store bought guitar pick here. It has a skull on it.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

For picks I'd actually use to play my guitar, I have about 20, though half of those are the remaining contents of a pack of one style which I prefer (yes, it's tiny).

I also have about a dozen or so souvenir/collectors' picks, including a British sixpence coin -- Queen guitarist Brian May uses a sixpence as a pick, and when I bought an effects pedal which he designed, it came packed with a sixpence.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 02-12-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:54 PM

I have 3. There's a bar I frequent that uses them as drink tokens.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I have a punch to make them with. It punches really thin paper to really thick plastic.
My brother prefers the ones I've sent him made from plastic yellow milk cartons.
I have exactly one store bought guitar pick here. It has a skull on it.
I have that punch too!

I used to use it with old credit cards and hotel key cards, often trying to find the most interesting bits on the card to center in the pick.

As a repressed bassist, once I discovered my passion for the bass, my guitars all left. No more cool picks.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

I have maybe a dozen, various sizes and shapes and thicknesses. But I don't play much, so they mostly just sit in a box on my dresser.

I have two picks that I picked up when they were flicked into the audience at live shows. One was the opening band at some nightclub several years ago. I saw the guitar player flick the pick into the air and it flew about 20' and landed at my feet. I looked around and nobody else even seemed to notice, so I picked it up and put it in my pocket.

The other one was acquired in similar circumstances, except it was at my first KISS concert when I was a teenager and it was flung by Gene Simmons. It even has his signature on it!

- The Police, "One World"
Old 02-12-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Only 3 or 4. I prefer to finger pick.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post

(I'm an orange Tortex guy.)
I'm a yellow Dunlop Tortex guy for guitar and blue for bass. I've switched to the triangle picks: Three times the life. Plus, sometimes when really digging in the pick can spin a bit and you have another pick point at the ready.

I buy them each in 6-packs and that is enough for a year or two. I probably have a combined 2 dozen in between new and should be thrown away status.

Never thought of them as collectors items.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:44 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

I've never felt any need to hoard guitar picks. I found a particular style that I liked in a guitar shop years ago and bought about a dozen of them. I have lost about half of those over the years. I don't want to change to a different pick (I guess I'm picky about picks...) so as long as I have at least a few of them I'm going to stick with them.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:31 PM

20 or so, but I don't play guitar (or mando). Even chose clawhammer banjo to eschew the need for picks.

When I was in college, my roommate/bandmember and I lived together. We regularly bought a bunch of picks, and just flung them about the living room, so that no matter where you were, you would find a pick near you. Did the same w/ matchbooks.

No, we weren't exactly big on housecleaning. Why do you ask?
Old 02-12-2020, 05:43 PM

Just flat picks, or are thumb and finger picks included? Either way, less than 20.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:49 PM

I have piles of them in various places - in a desk drawer, in my gig bag, a little bowl on my home amp. I tend to gravitate toward one type then another depending. I still have a Dunlop Jazz II from when I was a teenager and I'm 57 (those Dunlop Jazz suckers are indestructible). At a guess a couple-three hundred or so ATM.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:30 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

At least 7.

I don't own a guitar.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:51 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Fender mediums. Been using them for decades.

Right now? Maybe 10-15 as I bought a pack today. But I know they'll be lost soon.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

I've gone through phases where I favor different brands and types. For a long time, I only played .73mm Dunlop Ultex picks, typically the sharp variety. Most recently, for no real reason, I started playing the medium Fender California Clear, in the translucent pink with the palm tree. I must have grabbed a couple from somewhere. Right about that time, I discovered that Fender stopped making those. And as I am, once I found out I couldn't have any more of them, I set my mind to getting as many as possible. It's exactly the kind of pointless quest I favor.

I've got about 50 of them now. I see I have a pack of six of the Ultex Sharp picks, with one or two removed and out in circulation. Then there's some random one-offs that I got from ordering strings online and stuff like that. So maybe 65 picks in total?

Last edited by Pork Rind; 02-12-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:07 PM

Pretty sure that number is zero. I don't play and I don't find them especially aesthetically pleasing.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:01 PM

What's funny is that when I played in a band I was almost always finger-picking.

But that didn't stop me from "picking" up random picks in music stores, bars, from other guitarists...
One guitar shop had a bowl of them on the counter with their name on 'em. Perfectly targeted advertising. Hmm, maybe I should get my logo on picks instead of printing business cards...
Old 02-13-2020, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

I have probably 10 or 15 of them floating around. Also, I don't play guitar. Over the years, I've attempted to teach myself to play a few times with little to no success. I haven't touched a guitar in over 20 years, other than to move it from one corner of the closet to a different corner of the closet, but I still run across picks in random spots in my house from time to time.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:12 AM

I have two. One heavy jazz pick with my guitar and another one in my wallet, in case I'm with a guitarist who lost theirs. I wouldn't mind having a couple more, but I don't really need it.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 AM

I have three guitar picks. One from Buddy Guy, one from B.B. King, and one from my friend Smokin Joe. I have zero musical ability, they're just keepsakes.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:15 AM

I used to like the extra-heavy 1mm-1.5mm picks, but eventually I stopped playing exclusively metal and I settled on 0.73mm "star picks." I don't have a ton of them, I think I got a bag of like 20 a decade ago and still have at least half of them.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:35 AM

I play guitar every day. I have about a dozen Fender mediums, a few in my wallet and a few in a bowl near my guitars.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM

Anyone into really fancy/pricey picks? Do you modify yours?

I'm entirely ignorant about such things (play upright and clawhammer), but some of the guys I've played w/ have discussed picks costing $30 or more, drilling holes in them, etc.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
I have that punch too!

I used to use it with old credit cards and hotel key cards, often trying to find the most interesting bits on the card to center in the pick.
I received one of those punches for Xmas many years ago. I like the idea and I used it a few times in a pinch, but IME most things it works on make pretty crappy guitar picks.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:09 AM

To play with (Tortex Blues) a dozen+ (4 on-the-go with guitars plus replacements). Also many, many in various stages of worn out, kept as "spares" because I'm too mean to chuck them out.

And, the collection, I guess more than a hundred (I'm not about to count them). A long time ago I worked as a sound engineer at small time rock gigs, and for whatever reason I've held on to a selection of picks that guitarists left behind.

Jim Dunlop Nylons seem to be popular (or maybe they just get dropped a lot?) the thinner ones must be like playing with a bus ticket.

A surprising number of Sharkfin picks (from Sweden apparently), I don't even know how you're supposed to hold these, none of the "corners" seem suitable for plucking, one side is serrated (for chewing through your strings?)

There's an Ernie Ball glow-in-the-dark medium (luminosity didn't stop it being lost).

Some personalised ones (I don't know who Cosmic Joe was, but he left his teeth marks on his pick). Others have phone numbers on them, I'm not sure who they expected to call?

The weirdest (to me) are a couple made of stainless steel. "Normal" pick size and shape (that is, not coin sized) and completely rigid. I'll have to try one out later, but I can't imagine it feeling or sounding good.

I'm going to wash my hands now, the steel picks seemed clean enough, but the Jim Dunlop nylons are grody.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

I had a couple dozen till I picked up a cigar box full of them at an estate sale for $5. Haven't counted them, there might be a couple hundred. I was more interested in the cigar box though, going to make a cigar box guitar out of it.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:18 PM

I have a medium sized jam jar full of them. I like heavy picks because I feel like I have more control with them and there is no slop.

There are 3 I like: the old 1.6mm Brain picks (before they restarted the business), 1.5mm Dunlop Max Grips (which oddly feel just like the thicker Brain picks) and recently I have been into the unnecessarily expensive 1.5mm Truetone picks. They really do sound a little brighter and clearer. They aren't as thick but just as hard (I feel dirty saying that lol).

There are also a few oddball ones. I keep some thin ones for a different strumming sound.

When I was a beginner I would pick and strum too hard and wear down picks, so I searched for harder ones that would not wear down. As I got better, that was no longer a problem.

I sometimes wonder about the very expensive picks such as BlueChip, V-Picks and Wegen but I can't bring myself to buy one.

It is probably smart to use Fender picks because they will always be around.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:33 PM

Oops, I meant Primetone picks not Truetone. =p
Old 02-13-2020, 01:15 PM

I have also tried brass, stone and coin picks. I did not like them and found them to be "clicky."
Old 02-13-2020, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I have probably a couple of hundred. I have about 75 of the type that I actually use. I have two picks in my pocket everywhere I go. I have another collection of ones that I've burned through trying to find the right gauge and material. Some are just for fun. My wife went to a Chicago concert with a girlfriend and came home with a Chicago-branded pick that they guitarist threw into the audience.

Your son has 5000? There is a fine line between compulsion and collecting. Maybe he's just a collector.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Anyone into really fancy/pricey picks? Do you modify yours?

I'm entirely ignorant about such things (play upright and clawhammer), but some of the guys I've played w/ have discussed picks costing $30 or more, drilling holes in them, etc.
My picks were $10 each when they were made and sold. I do modify them. The picks are made from brass cymbals (hence the name) and I engrave new ones so I have some ridges and grooves to grip with my fingers.

(When I started playing guitar, dropping the pick was a major problem for me. To counter it, I made a rule that if I dropped my pick I had to stop practicing/playing. This encouraged me to focus more on holding on to the pick, since I like making noise with a guitar more than almost anything else in existence. 30+ years later and this is still my rule: if I drop the pick, I turn the amp off and put the guitar down. I very, very rarely drop my pick anymore. Like, maybe once a year, at most.)

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-13-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Clanger View Post
The weirdest (to me) are a couple made of stainless steel. "Normal" pick size and shape (that is, not coin sized) and completely rigid. I'll have to try one out later, but I can't imagine it feeling or sounding good.
I used various steel and aluminum picks before I found the brass ones I use today. The aluminum ones were okay but wore down quickly. The steel ones were okay but lacked response and a good edge. The brass ones are extremely responsive, sound great and have a good edge that gets better with use.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-13-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:22 PM

I have zero, but my husband has several hundred.

Last edited by panache45; 02-13-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:37 PM

9. 4 blue fender mediums, 4 blue fender lights, and one pick-shaped seashell that I don't know when or how I got and I've never used but is stored with the picks.

I've had them since I got the guitar 28 years ago. I just started learning to play last month.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:53 PM

Many, haven't been playing much lately but have guitar picks out the wazoo. There was a time when I would have predicted my most likely cause of death would be choking on a guitar pick. I tended to put them between my lips when doing the finger picked part and then forget it was there!
Thank God I gave up playing guitar!

Seriously, hoping to get back to it.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I received one of those punches for Xmas many years ago. I like the idea and I used it a few times in a pinch, but IME most things it works on make pretty crappy guitar picks.
Picks punched out from credit cards were perfect for strumming "cowboy chords" if I was standing in front of church leading out an impromptu song service. Every once in a while I would punch out a few dozen and then give them a decent sanding to take off the rough edges.

But my serious guitar playing was jazz, so I had many dozens of those fat stubby jazz picks all over the house.

Nowadays as a bassman, I try and try, but can't get the feel for using a pick on the bass. The only way to get the tone I want is with two fingers. Even those felt picks don't feel right and are too bright.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:12 PM

I use my Cymbolic picks when I play bass too. I can't get the hang of fingerpicking on either instrument. I'm very happy with my facility with a pick tho.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-13-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

I remember the last time I acquired guitar picks. I got them at the House of Musical Traditions in Maryland in 2004. I remember the year because they had custom printed on some picks "Let's not elect him in '04 either." Another one said "Ukes not nukes." I think I still have one from then.

I've played only nylon string classical for over 10 years now and have forgotten about picks altogether.

I think the first year I used a guitar pick must have been 1976. That was the year Eric Clapton released No Reason to Cry. On the cover a guitar pick reading "E.C." with the tip broken off, and it was tactile-ly raised-embossed as was done to album covers in those days.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:57 PM

I usually only buy a little pack of the ones I like at a time. At the moment I have three that I know where they are (on top of my living room amp) and probably a hundred strewn about in junk drawers, boxes, under couches, behind bookcases, in the bottom of gig bags, etc.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:42 AM

Only several dozen and I primarily stick to a plastic thumbpick with metal National fingerpicks, or a couple of bison-horn flatpicks. For quiet practice there's Grandpa's felt mandolin pick. For noise, use big coins. Or whatever.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:53 AM

I caught two thrown by Dada.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:48 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

When I first started playing guitar (ca. 1967) I'd have at most half a dozen, but usually 2 or 3. When I switched from steel to nylon strings and did more picking than strumming, I stopped using them. So I have none.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played in years, and my hands are way out of shape. There were eight Fender Thins and one heart shaped Gibson Thin in my guitar case when I checked a few minutes ago. I can't remember the last time I took my guitar out of the case. I tuned it up and ran through a few chords. I am on the edge of retirement, and thanks to this thread, I have just added to my post retirement plans

Thanks all!
Old 02-14-2020, 07:23 PM

Just one. It came in a kit of plastic tools for opening electronics (like cell phones). It's handy for sliding under a clipped-on plastic lid without damaging it. I could use a bunch more, really, since sometimes it's handy to prevent one side from snapping closed again while I'm prying open the other side.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
I caught two thrown by Dada.
I like that band! I only have one of their CDs but it got a lot of play.