Old 02-06-2020, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

A Simple Request to Ensure the Safety of All of Us

snowy here in Chicago and, well, sometimes things happen...

But please don't tailgate in snowy conditions.
Also, if you are going to tailgate in snowy conditions and you find yourself unable to stop in time to avoid hitting the car n front of you do NOT under ANY circumstance swerve into incoming traffic.
Yes I know going into the ditch will be a royal pain in the ass for you, but the head on collision you just caused will be a royal pain in the ass for you and the driver you just hit and your damn lucky both of you had slowed enough that it was just a fender-bender.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:28 PM

Dang it, do not leave us hanging. What is the back story on this post?
Old 02-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Guy in front of me this snowy morning was tailgating, couldn't stop in time to avoid hitting the car in front of him and swerved into oncoming traffic.
Luckily both of drivers had slowed enough that it was just a fender-bender.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Clear the snow from your vehicle, and not just a little hole that you can see out of. ALL of the snow, so when you get up to highway speed, chunks and plumes of snow don't hit the vehicle behind you and obstruct their vision (regardless of how closely they're following). I see it far too often on those monstrous SUV and vans where they can't be arsed to reach up on top of the roof. (I expect it also negatively affects their gas mileage, hauling around that extra weight.)

As far as the OP, you could say the same if a deer appears in your path. Don't Veer for Deer is a common highway safety reminder around here.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:20 PM

And remember that taking your foot off the accelerator is often more effective than slamming on the brakes.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:25 PM

I always say it's not the snow, nor the driving in the snow. It's the people who don't know how to drive in it.

As soon as my kids could reach the pedals, I took them to a snowy parking lot and had them "doing doughnuts". They learned when they'd have traction, when they wouldn't but would slide in a straight line, and when they'd be out of control.

If you've never slid around for fun, get thee to a mall or a big box store after hours, and have a blast in a snowy parking lot!
Old 02-06-2020, 10:34 PM

Also remember that those little numbers on the shifters of automatic cars, below the "D", are not just there for decoration.

Last edited by Lamoral; 02-06-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:22 AM

I've told this story before but it goes to show how stupid some people are.

I had lived in snowy climes so I had no issues with driving on it here in the sunnier belt.

I would often go into to work (at a university) on "snow days" since it was quiet and I could get more done.

So, one time on a freeway going in, there was one ~clear lane. There were just two cars around. Me and the tailgater riding my bumper. Flashing brake lights, etc. did nothing. I finally found a stretch where I could get in another lane and let him pass. Note: he wasn't speeding or anything. Just tailgating.

I think the OP's message is lost on such folk.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:57 AM

4WD helps you go in the snow. Doesn't do much for you when you have to stop.

One would hope this would be bleeding obvious, but it's really not.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:42 AM

I remember when I was in Seattle visiting my son when they got a significant snowfall. He strapped on some chains (the entire city of Seattle owned a grand total of 4 snowplows so essentially nothing was plowed) and we drove down to the airport where my daughter and other son were arriving. I have never seen such chaos on the highways. Cars had slammed into the side barriers; some had turned 180; the ones still driving were slithering all over the place. My son drove carefully since he had learned to drive in Montreal and we had no problem. The chains were really needed only for getting out of his suburban subdivision where there had no plows and not enough traffic to wear the snow down.

We are now in the middle of a blizzard that is expected to total 30-50 cm (12-20 inches). I will not go out but I would not hesitate if I had reason to as they have been plowing all yesterday and all night.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Years ago on a skiing trip in Colorado, my carload of friends and I got caught in a heavy snowdump in the mountains. Some jackass was weaving and swerving through traffic. I'd be lying if I said we didn't cheer when we saw the truck spun out in a ditch shortly after passing us.

It's good that people here know to clear the roof (and hopefully hood, too) but far more important is recognizing that many people do not. This is especially true for commercial trucks and other large vehicles like buses, campers, flatbed tow trucks, etc. It's all the more reason to give yourself extra distance.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
Years ago on a skiing trip in Colorado, my carload of friends and I got caught in a heavy snowdump in the mountains. Some jackass was weaving and swerving through traffic. I'd be lying if I said we didn't cheer when we saw the truck spun out in a ditch shortly after passing us.
Many years ago, I got caught in a blinding blizzard driving across Missouri on I-70. Visibility was practically zero, people were creeping along about 30 mph, when all of a sudden this clown comes flying up from behind, driving a silver colored 280-Z, no headlights on, just appeared out of nowhere and then he was gone. "What an idiot", I muttered to myself.

About five miles down the road, there he is -- sitting sideways across a pair of guardrails in the median. I have no idea how he got the car up there, but I got a huge laugh out of it.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 02-07-2020, 06:42 PM

Tailgating in heavy fog is fun too. Part of my childhood was lived on a hill above a thin expressway in a valley subject to pea-soup fogs. I'd awaken mornings to the sound of commuter bumper-bends and headlight breakage below. A Highway Patrol officer told me California drivers are the world's best - except in rain or fog, when they are the worst. I've lived on enough snowy mountains to know the driving habits of temperate flatlanders. Flee them!
Old 02-07-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
4WD helps you go in the snow. Doesn't do much for you when you have to stop.

One would hope this would be bleeding obvious, but it's really not.
(Confirmation bias?) Going up to ski on I-70 outside of Denver in the snow, the only vehicles spun out in the median are 4x4s.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

DCnDC and of course, in DC handling any level of snow is such a Very Special Episode...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Clear the snow from your vehicle, and not just a little hole that you can see out of. ALL of the snow, so when you get up to highway speed, chunks and plumes of snow don't hit the vehicle behind you and obstruct their vision (regardless of how closely they're following). I see it far too often on those monstrous SUV and vans where they can't be arsed to reach up on top of the roof. (I expect it also negatively affects their gas mileage, hauling around that extra weight.)
Ah, yes... that's so very, very particular. And if the snowpile on your roof doesn't fly off to hit the guy behind you, it can conversely fall in front of your own windshield if you have to brake.

Never mind snow, back in my home island, where seasonally it rains like you wouldn't believe, you'd think you're in Los Angeles from the way people lose their minds when they have to deal with any water on the road. I dunno, must be the outgassing plastics in the car ruining our brains...

Last edited by JRDelirious; 02-07-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:00 PM

I drive over the continental divide at 11500 feet every morning at 6am on a two lane highway on my way to work. And of course go home the same route. Twenty eight years of that. That's sort of the easy part. I still have 2 miles of gravel road to get to my house and a steep driveway.

But I digress. When someone gets too close behind me, I pull over in the few places that I can safely do so. Fine with me. Let them fuck up, and not involve me. I'm in no rush. I have this ability to plan. A few humans have this trait.

I drive a 2019 4Runner with Blizzaks on it. I can handle snow, no problem, I've done snow 6 months out of the year for 28 years. And I have never been late for work, or been in an accident. Just a fact, not a boast.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:08 PM

The OP is more kindly put than my own request on Twitter. I hate these people and I can't understand why they're so stupid.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post

So, one time on a freeway going in, there was one ~clear lane. There were just two cars around. Me and the tailgater riding my bumper. Flashing brake lights, etc. did nothing. I finally found a stretch where I could get in another lane and let him pass. Note: he wasn't speeding or anything. Just tailgating.

I think the OP's message is lost on such folk.
My technique for tailgating is to just keep slowing down. Sooner or later they lose patience and pass, conditions in the passing lane be damned.

I rather they honk and give me the finger as they pass, than smash into me from behind.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
And remember that taking your foot off the accelerator is often more effective than slamming on the brakes.
One of our driving tips in school was : “When driving in snow, pretend you don’t have brakes. Because you may actually not have any.”

Last edited by Northern Piper; 02-09-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
One of our driving tips in school was : “When driving in snow, pretend you don’t have brakes. Because you may actually not have any.”
That wasn't taught in my suburban Los Angeles driving school because no snow. My class was before we had handguns as turn signals. But parallel parking training has lasted a lifetime. So far.
"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers."
I seriously learned snow-driving when the Army sent me to Kansas where it's always either too hot and too windy or too cold and too windy. I'd rather drive in blizzards than tornadoes because tailgaters are more bothersome in high winds. But with any luck, they'll be taken. [whoosh] There goes another one!

Snow-driving came in handy when I moved to the Mojave desert and rolled my big fat station wagon down sandy washes. Sand and snow have about equal traction. Just figure that 1) you lack brakes and 2) if you stop, you'll never start again. Then it's easy.