Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3701  
Old 10-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Tom Tildrum is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Falls Church, Va.
Posts: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I am officially an addict now. I set my alarm for 2am so I could get the last 60 probes to get the donut machine. I'm so ashamed.
I stayed up that late for the same purpose. I kept logging back in to squish aliens one by one.
  #3702  
Old 10-20-2014, 12:33 PM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ is offline
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25,859
I've been waking up early to get in a round of trick-or-treating, so I can do it 3 times a day instead of just 2. I am extremely disappointed in myself that I let it slip once and it knocked off my whole schedule.
  #3703  
Old 10-20-2014, 03:56 PM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ is offline
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25,859
Good tip on hoarding bags and eggs once you've gotten all the prizes you want, Fair Rarity. I started doing that once I got the Donut Torture Machine and started off today about 300 ray guns ahead. Woohoo!

It is taking me forever to get this stupid Grand Pumpkin in the "Craft-a-Thing" shop. Ack!

Last edited by ZipperJJ; 10-20-2014 at 03:56 PM.
  #3704  
Old 10-20-2014, 07:42 PM
blainer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 203

Donhomer64


I'm deleting inactive friends, so please fell free to add me, donhomer64.

Moog in and out!

Last edited by blainer; 10-20-2014 at 07:42 PM.
  #3705  
Old 10-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Fair Rarity's Avatar
Fair Rarity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,293
With my bag hoarding, I'm over 1200 ray guns already. Yay. I won't keep that pace up, mind you, but it was a great start. Plus I wasn't collecting all the probes from my alien eggs due to the glitch, and now I do. So sorry to my friends that I didn't do a lot last week, but I'll make up for it this week, now that I get credit for doing them and am not hoarding.

I think the goal is 560 or so ray guns a day to get the copter by the end of this phase. It's possible if you log in a lot to squish, visit the 30 friends, drop a lot of eggs, and get a few lucky UFO and bag prizes.

I'm not sure if I'm full up, but I'm xamovo if new players need friends. If I have room, I accept friend requests.
  #3706  
Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Erdosain is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,358
You need 650 rayguns per day to get all the prizes (it's more because this phase turned out to be one day shorter than expected).

I have already collected more than that and I didn't hoard any bags or anything. So maybe it won't be as hard as I thought.
  #3707  
Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 AM
Antigen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: was Montreal, now MD
Posts: 7,116
Is there a smart use of donuts for this event? Ammo, maybe, or buying a new kid character so I can get more treat bags? I was two candy corns away from Hugo before the game switched over and I went to bed SO SAD. I was delighted to see those crafted prizes stuck around!

I finally loaded the game on my phone so I can play more often, but my wifi connection isn't working at home and I can't download all the million updates without killing my mobile data. Maybe I'll sit at Starbucks for an hour on my way home today...
  #3708  
Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Intergalactic Gladiator's Avatar
Intergalactic Gladiator is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,608
I just got Hugo's house this morning but it's an 8 hour build.
  #3709  
Old 10-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Erdosain is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
Is there a smart use of donuts for this event? Ammo, maybe, or buying a new kid character so I can get more treat bags?
In my opinion, the smartest use of donuts for this event are:

Squeaky Voiced Teen -- 30d -- 1 bag/16h
Kearney -- 60d -- 1 bag/16h
Ray Gun -- 150d -- 1 ammo/8h
Witch Marge -- 75d -- 1 bag/?h
Uter -- 150d -- 1 bag/16h

The Rigellian hunting license and purchasing individual bags or ammo is a total waste in my opinion.
  #3710  
Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Folly's Avatar
Folly is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago! (no more burbs)
Posts: 2,430
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Moog Moe doing the ole in and out.
  #3711  
Old 10-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Labtrash's Avatar
Labtrash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I just got Hugo's house this morning but it's an 8 hour build.

Mine just finished building this afternoon - there's a 16 hr (I think) task for Hugo right away so make sure he's free.

Only 55 candy bars away from the Grand Punkin' (the damn Spooky house took 55 of them - grrrrr)
  #3712  
Old 10-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Labtrash's Avatar
Labtrash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Moog Moe doing the ole in and out.
That was funny - but annoying - 12 times?!?
  #3713  
Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Personal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Beach
Posts: 2,944
I read that the hunting license doubles your take when squishing. The example was when you squish a friend's alien, you get two ray guns instead of one. I don't know if that's true.

I also read that with the ray gun you can shoot down the UFO that flies through your town, and the pilot becomes one of your residents with tasks. I don't know the truth of that either.

Does anyone have the scoop on either of these?
  #3714  
Old 10-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Erdosain is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
I read that the hunting license doubles your take when squishing. The example was when you squish a friend's alien, you get two ray guns instead of one. I don't know if that's true.

I also read that with the ray gun you can shoot down the UFO that flies through your town, and the pilot becomes one of your residents with tasks. I don't know the truth of that either.

Does anyone have the scoop on either of these?
Yes, the hunting license doubles your take, but only when you're in a friend's town. So instead of 90 rayguns per day from visiting 30 friends, you can get 180 rayguns per day from visiting 30 friends. It's a pretty small bump.

If you buy the big ray gun for 150 donuts, you can shoot down the UFO that constantly buzzes your town and get Kodos as a permanent character. You will get one crashed UFO decoration and one intact ray gun. The ray gun will produce one ammo every eight hours.
  #3715  
Old 10-22-2014, 01:24 PM
ekweizn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 534
Level 46! My tapping finger is getting a callus.
  #3716  
Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Skammer's Avatar
Skammer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 14,217
I reached "Build the Spooky House" job three days ago -- but even though I'm completely on-track for probes/ray guns, I'm still almost 100 broken fences short of being able to build the house . I'm drowning in gummi bears and candy corn. !
  #3717  
Old 10-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Intergalactic Gladiator's Avatar
Intergalactic Gladiator is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,608
New level. Nelson's mom is showing up with a strip club. There's also a clampitheater for 145 donuts and a tiki bar, which looks nice over in the squidport.
  #3718  
Old 10-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Labtrash's Avatar
Labtrash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 3,831
Bulldozersaurus has arrived...yay.

...meh.
  #3719  
Old 10-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Labtrash's Avatar
Labtrash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
New level. Nelson's mom is showing up with a strip club. There's also a clampitheater for 145 donuts and a tiki bar, which looks nice over in the squidport.
My tiki bar is in my Stonecutter compound.
  #3720  
Old 10-22-2014, 03:42 PM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ is offline
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25,859
I bought 10 ammo last night because I'll never have enough donuts to get the stupid ammo-producing gun.

I ended up getting like 100 candy corn, a few silver treat bags and 50 ray gun. Super.
  #3721  
Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Fair Rarity's Avatar
Fair Rarity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,293
My Tiki Bar looks awesome on the beach.

I'm pretty much putting everything else from level 46 on hold for a while. Too busy with Halloween and it'll give me something to do when Halloween is over.

I had enough crap to make the Spooky House, but I had been holding off since the Giant Pumpkin was going to be so much harder, but I caved today and got the Spooky House, figuring that maybe I might get something helpful to GET the Pumpkin House from its daily bronze bag, whereas the grand pumpkin doesn't do event stuff.
  #3722  
Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 PM
Tom Tildrum is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Falls Church, Va.
Posts: 14,083
Right now, I have Homer getting probed while Burns throws an erotic masquerade.
  #3723  
Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Max Torque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Raiderville, TX
Posts: 10,972
I'm just getting started. I've added some of you, but if anyone else needs another neighbor, add maxwelltorque.
  #3724  
Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 AM
ekweizn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 534
The previous poster reminded me that I'd like to see a Max Power "skin" for Homer.
  #3725  
Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Erdosain is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekweizn View Post
The previous poster reminded me that I'd like to see a Max Power "skin" for Homer.
I'd like to strap myself in and feel the Gs. Maybe they'll release it with a Thai restaurant. I'd pay for that.
  #3726  
Old 10-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Rhodes's Avatar
Rhodes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 884
I just began last week. Origin johnnycr801.
  #3727  
Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 30,906
I'm guessing we get 4 Protein Strands per tap in the third phase. That would work out about right to get the prizes.
  #3728  
Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,781
Quick question for Late Comer (I think that's who donspadeo is). Who is the RIP G.C. written out in hedges in your town? I just noticed it recently and thought it was cool.

Also, I've decided I really hate 8 hour tasks like this one. I can't squeeze in 3 a day and after a late start, I feel like I'm wasting my time. I finally got Hugo 2 days ago and that may be the only thing I get this time.
  #3729  
Old 10-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Sterling Archer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,269
A strip club and Mr. Burns erotic masquerade parties? I am really disappointed in this game. This is a game I was playing with my kids, but this has become totally inappropriate. deleting it from all my devices.
  #3730  
Old 10-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Apocalypso is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,816
Fat Tony's Compound should finish building today (2 new characters), then I think Herman's Antiques (1 new character). I'm thinking of spending some donuts on Otto and the School Bus since I like the character from the show. Do you collect from the Bus as well, or is it just a decoration?
I finally got Hugo, but I am waaay short on candy bars to get the pumpkin house. Hopefully I'll be able to get the candy bars before the event ends...

Someone posted a guide for the first phase showing how many probes you'd need each day to get the donut torture device (which you can now buy from the treat bag stuff). Is there one for phase two and if so, can someone post it? I doubt I'll make it to the final prize, I have to work too much and am on an ipod so I can't play unless I'm home. But it would be nice to be able to check.
  #3731  
Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 AM
LateComer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Homer City, PA
Posts: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Quick question for Late Comer (I think that's who donspadeo is). Who is the RIP G.C. written out in hedges in your town? I just noticed it recently and thought it was cool.

Also, I've decided I really hate 8 hour tasks like this one. I can't squeeze in 3 a day and after a late start, I feel like I'm wasting my time. I finally got Hugo 2 days ago and that may be the only thing I get this time.
Glenn Cornick the original bass player for Jethro Tull died recently. I put it up above the Under Wraps era Tull logo I made of hedges. Thanks for noticing!
  #3732  
Old 10-24-2014, 11:43 AM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ is offline
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
Someone posted a guide for the first phase showing how many probes you'd need each day to get the donut torture device (which you can now buy from the treat bag stuff). Is there one for phase two and if so, can someone post it? I doubt I'll make it to the final prize, I have to work too much and am on an ipod so I can't play unless I'm home. But it would be nice to be able to check.
Here you go.
  #3733  
Old 10-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Hamlet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateComer View Post
Glenn Cornick the original bass player for Jethro Tull died recently. I put it up above the Under Wraps era Tull logo I made of hedges.
I could tell the other hedges meant something too, but didn't recognize it as a Tull logo. I thought it was University of Tennessee or Texas or something.

Nice touch.
  #3734  
Old 10-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Erdosain is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Unfortunately, that chart is off by a day. You need 650 rayguns per day. Phase II ends at exactly 4 AM Eastern time on October 31st. (Wait, when does daylight savings end?)
  #3735  
Old 10-24-2014, 04:56 PM
That Don Guy's Avatar
That Don Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdosain View Post
Phase II ends at exactly 4 AM Eastern time on October 31st. (Wait, when does daylight savings end?)
It ends on early Sunday morning 11/2 - the night after Halloween.
  #3736  
Old 10-24-2014, 05:05 PM
Erdosain is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
It ends on early Sunday morning 11/2 - the night after Halloween.
Ah, thanks. So Phase II will definitely switch off at exactly 4 AM Eastern time on the day of Halloween.
  #3737  
Old 10-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Apocalypso is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Thank you! Yeah it doesn't look like I'm on track to get the hover copter either. It's going to take another day or possibly two, to get the Bulldozer-Saurus. I am seriously considering just hoarding my bags once I get the dozer, and using them on the next phase to get a head start and hopefully get the U.B.O.
I decided to get Otto and his bus since I liked the character from the show. I've got 60ish donuts left, will probably just hold onto them for a while.

I do like this event more than the Family Guy one, which is just too complicated and too much of a shameless cash grab.

Last edited by Apocalypso; 10-24-2014 at 05:29 PM.
  #3738  
Old 10-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Fair Rarity's Avatar
Fair Rarity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
Do you collect from the Bus as well, or is it just a decoration?
You get cash from the bus as well as tasks for Otto. I have him and it's a good deal for the donuts spent, but just make sure you get all you want from Halloween because everything might not be back again next year or cost crazy amounts.

King Homer is 200, 250 donuts or so! Eep!
  #3739  
Old 10-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Folly's Avatar
Folly is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago! (no more burbs)
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
Thank you! Yeah it doesn't look like I'm on track to get the hover copter either. It's going to take another day or possibly two, to get the Bulldozer-Saurus. I am seriously considering just hoarding my bags once I get the dozer, and using them on the next phase to get a head start and hopefully get the U.B.O.
Hovercopter is in mine if you want to check it out. Not very exciting. Go south and a little east, below a few white houses, west of other Halloween stuff.
  #3740  
Old 10-25-2014, 02:51 AM
crypto is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 6,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
I do like this event more than the Family Guy one, which is just too complicated and too much of a shameless cash grab.
It cracks me up when people claim one of these games is a "shameless" cash grab. TSTO is no more shamelesss than Family Guy's game. Both games can be played for free, and both games want you to become addicted and spend a lot of real dollars.

They can't grab your cash if you don't give it to them!
  #3741  
Old 10-25-2014, 12:53 PM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ is offline
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25,859
They just put "build" candy in the store. Candy corn, pumpkins, candy bars, gummy bears. I desperately need candy bars but they are twice the price of everything else (40 donuts for 100 as opposed to 20 for others) and I'm not going to spend nearly all my donuts (I'm down to 56) to get candy bars for the Grand Pumpkin. According to the TSTO wiki it "improves the Tree-hugging rating and allows the building of the Pumpkin House."

The Pumpkin House doesn't look like it does anything useful. "Together the two items started a Quest," it says. Then Homer can try to eat the Pumpkin House for 24 hours.

You guys that have the Pumpkin House from before...anything good come from it?

I'm just going to keep scratching and see if I can't get this stupid Grand Pumpkin on my own.
  #3742  
Old 10-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Erdosain is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
They just put "build" candy in the store. Candy corn, pumpkins, candy bars, gummy bears. I desperately need candy bars but they are twice the price of everything else (40 donuts for 100 as opposed to 20 for others) and I'm not going to spend nearly all my donuts (I'm down to 56) to get candy bars for the Grand Pumpkin. According to the TSTO wiki it "improves the Tree-hugging rating and allows the building of the Pumpkin House."

The Pumpkin House doesn't look like it does anything useful. "Together the two items started a Quest," it says. Then Homer can try to eat the Pumpkin House for 24 hours.

You guys that have the Pumpkin House from before...anything good come from it?

I'm just going to keep scratching and see if I can't get this stupid Grand Pumpkin on my own.
The pumpkin house is nothing special. It's a house that looks like a pumpkin. Usually it pays out like a normal house, but during this event it pays out 1 single pumpkin per 24 hours. Not much. I'd wait and see if you like the Rigellian Queen and hut better.

That's what I'm saving my chocolate bars for. I'll get the Grand Pumpkin if I have enough at the end.
  #3743  
Old 10-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Zsofia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24,534
Last year's Pumpkin House gives you pumpkins this year. Meh.
  #3744  
Old 10-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Labtrash's Avatar
Labtrash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 3,831
The Grand Pumpkin is kind of a letdown too. Tap it, and it stands up, yells "revenge!" and then it sits back down.

Yippee.
  #3745  
Old 10-26-2014, 01:23 AM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ is offline
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25,859
If you run into a sickly looking frog in any of your friends' towns, click it. Click it a few times!
  #3746  
Old 10-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Raza's Avatar
Raza is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Atl-N, 3409'N 8405'W
Posts: 1,534
Thus far, I'd say the prizes I got in past years outshine those presented thus far. I'm hoping Phase III will prove me wrong.
  #3747  
Old 10-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 30,906
Yeah, kind of crappy rewards this year for Halloween. Still, it's not the worst event we've been through. Easter was a nightmare.
  #3748  
Old 10-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Fair Rarity's Avatar
Fair Rarity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,293
I started hoarding my bags today. I'm on track to get the Hover-Copter and have crafted (or won) at least one of everything so far. Might as well get a jump start on protein strings.

The THOH marathon today is just perfect. It's always fun to be like "Hey, I have that" when some weird thing shows up, even if I've seen all the episodes several times.
  #3749  
Old 10-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Labtrash's Avatar
Labtrash is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 3,831
Copter obtained last night (it has even less animation than the Grand Pumpkin, but at least I can point the guns at the Guinea Pig Rescue Center or something)

- let the hoarding begin!

Also, nice touch EA, having the bouncy-house tying up all the kids who are supposed to be trick or treating.

Grrrr.

Last edited by Labtrash; 10-27-2014 at 01:02 PM.
  #3750  
Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Drunky Smurf's Avatar
Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 11,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
If you run into a sickly looking frog in any of your friends' towns, click it. Click it a few times!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post

The THOH marathon today is just perfect. It's always fun to be like "Hey, I have that" when some weird thing shows up, even if I've seen all the episodes several times.
I have that "frog" in both of my towns. And right now on m local tv they are playing the Halloween episode that it came from. Sweet.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017