Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 01-26-2020, 02:15 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,192
He is now expensive beef.
  #302  
Old 01-26-2020, 02:19 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
He is now expensive beef.
Not cool, IMHO.
  #303  
Old 01-26-2020, 02:21 PM
Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephe96 View Post
TMZ: Kobe Bryant ,41, killed in helicopter crash.
ESPN confirms.
__________________
"I started To Reign in Hell, but was bored out of my mind." - Doomtrain
  #304  
Old 01-26-2020, 02:41 PM
CAMJAY77 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 292
On another board, posted was that others on board were his daughters, saying it was reported by ESPN. If true, that is very sadnews
  #305  
Old 01-26-2020, 02:47 PM
CAMJAY77 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMJAY77 View Post
On another board, posted was that others on board were his daughters, saying it was reported by ESPN. If true, that is very sadnews
Alexis Wainwright

@AWainwrightTV

Sources have confirmed that neither #Bryant’s wife or children were on board of the helicopter that crashed.
  #306  
Old 01-26-2020, 03:07 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,192
It was his personal helicopter – was he the pilot?
  #307  
Old 01-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Harrington is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMJAY77 View Post
Alexis Wainwright

@AWainwrightTV

Sources have confirmed that neither #Bryant’s wife or children were on board of the helicopter that crashed.
TMZ reports that one of his daughters died. Nothing is confirmed at this point. Such a misused word early in tragedies.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-...-in-calabasas/

Last edited by Harrington; 01-26-2020 at 03:12 PM.
  #308  
Old 01-26-2020, 03:46 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
It was his personal helicopter – was he the pilot?
No, apparently it was him, his 13-year-old daughter (who plays basketball), a friend/parent of another basketball player, that other teen, and the pilot.
  #309  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:02 PM
Harrington is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal
He is now expensive beef.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Not cool, IMHO.
This is a thread in which participants predict deaths and are awarded points for correct guesses.
  #310  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:09 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
This is a thread in which participants predict deaths and are awarded points for correct guesses.
You don’t say!

I’ll drop it...but I thought the comment was slightly out of bounds, even for this venerable game (which I’ve always loved to follow, and ALMOST participated in this time...I will fir sure next year). I know the banter in the games’ threads is deliciously irreverent. Sorry if my internal meter was off this time.
  #311  
Old 01-26-2020, 06:23 PM
Baker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tottering-on-the-Brink
Posts: 20,846
I oversee this game and two others on different boards. Not a single person had Kobe.
__________________
At least my dog loves me.
  #312  
Old 01-27-2020, 05:00 AM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is online now
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
You don’t say!

I’ll drop it...but I thought the comment was slightly out of bounds, even for this venerable game (which I’ve always loved to follow, and ALMOST participated in this time...I will fir sure next year). I know the banter in the games’ threads is deliciously irreverent. Sorry if my internal meter was off this time.
It only drops to deliciously irreverent on alternate Thursdays.
  #313  
Old 01-27-2020, 06:33 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It only drops to deliciously irreverent on alternate Thursdays.
  #314  
Old 01-27-2020, 07:00 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,332
I just realized I misinterpreted eschereal’s post entirely. I thought he/she was evoking a slab of human meat burning on a Los Angeles hillside. I see now he/she simply meant, e.g., when Madonna dies, we’ll be back to that word meaning just the Virgin Mary — that sort of thing.

Carry on — May the most irreverent Doper win!
  #315  
Old 01-27-2020, 07:22 AM
Superdude's Avatar
Superdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 10,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I oversee this game and two others on different boards. Not a single person had Kobe.
If anyone did, I'd ask if they were a helicopter mechanic in real life...
__________________
It's chaos. Be kind.
  #316  
Old 01-27-2020, 07:52 AM
Harrington is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I just realized I misinterpreted eschereal’s post entirely. I thought he/she was evoking a slab of human meat burning on a Los Angeles hillside. I see now he/she simply meant, e.g., when Madonna dies, we’ll be back to that word meaning just the Virgin Mary — that sort of thing.

Carry on — May the most irreverent Doper win!
Backing up causes tire damage.
  #317  
Old 01-27-2020, 07:56 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
He is now expensive beef.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Not cool, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
You don’t say!

I’ll drop it...but I thought the comment was slightly out of bounds, even for this venerable game (which I’ve always loved to follow, and ALMOST participated in this time...I will fir sure next year). I know the banter in the games’ threads is deliciously irreverent. Sorry if my internal meter was off this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I just realized I misinterpreted eschereal’s post entirely. I thought he/she was evoking a slab of human meat burning on a Los Angeles hillside. I see now he/she simply meant, e.g., when Madonna dies, we’ll be back to that word meaning just the Virgin Mary — that sort of thing.

Carry on — May the most irreverent Doper win!
I just figured eschereal was making a word play off of Kobe beef.

In which case, totally normal for this crowd, really.
  #318  
Old 01-27-2020, 07:59 AM
Harrington is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I just figured eschereal was making a word play off of Kobe beef.

In which case, totally normal for this crowd, really.
They were, and it is.
  #319  
Old 01-27-2020, 08:00 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,332
Yes, I got from the start that it was about Kobe beef. I just thought s/he was saying Bryant’s body was now mere beef — when in fact s/he was saying the word can now go back to merely meaning beef.

I think now even the first interpretation is deliciously irreverent — (hmmm....deliciously....)...so it’s all good!

Last edited by JKellyMap; 01-27-2020 at 08:02 AM.
  #320  
Old 01-27-2020, 08:14 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,332
I’ll sign off on this topic with a reminder that, just a few months ago, scientists (and entrepreneurs) declared they could synthesize edible meat from the DNA of specific individuals, including celebrities: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vic...re-100-serious
  #321  
Old 01-27-2020, 08:41 AM
Harrington is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I’ll sign off on this topic with a reminder that, just a few months ago, scientists (and entrepreneurs) declared they could synthesize edible meat from the DNA of specific individuals, including celebrities: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vic...re-100-serious
That sounds scientifically credible. That Google is involved, doubly so. Hopefully, they can extract Kobe from Kobe.

Last edited by Harrington; 01-27-2020 at 08:44 AM.
  #322  
Old 01-27-2020, 09:19 AM
1b3bz18c9ed269201 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 34
Does anyone remember that Kobe (the athlete not the cow) was once charged with sexual assault? If I recall it was widely believed the the victim was “bought-off” and dropped the case.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
1b3bz18c9ed269201
My friends call me One-Bee
  #323  
Old 01-27-2020, 09:36 AM
Dolores Reborn's Avatar
Dolores Reborn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Houston
Posts: 15,362
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...l-assault-case
  #324  
Old 01-27-2020, 02:07 PM
kayT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
Thank you for linking to that story. I hope everyone who has an opinion about that incident will read it. I've never been a Kobe fan but this story clarified a few things for me and somewhat changed my mind.
  #325  
Old 01-27-2020, 02:44 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Yes, I got from the start that it was about Kobe beef. I just thought s/he was saying Bryant’s body was now mere beef — when in fact s/he was saying the word can now go back to merely meaning beef.
I guess eschereal cleared things up by PM? Because there's nothing in the thread to base that on.
  #326  
Old 01-27-2020, 03:21 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I guess eschereal cleared things up by PM? Because there's nothing in the thread to base that on.
No, but you interpreted the comment correctly in post #317.
  #327  
Old 01-27-2020, 04:43 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
No, but you interpreted the comment correctly in post #317.
Well, yes, Kobe beef, of course — but, the “burning slab of high-quality beef on an LA hillside” interpretation, or the “now the word can go back to its purely beefy meaning” one?

Or, you meant it to be ambiguous! That’s cool, too.
You don’t need to answer this — but some of us are clearly curious.
  #328  
Old 01-27-2020, 04:49 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,332
Okay, I see now it was the “burning slab” all along. I’m an idiot. No need to reply to this. I will bow out now. Back to the fun and games.
  #329  
Old 01-27-2020, 06:44 PM
kopek's Avatar
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 16,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I oversee this game and two others on different boards. Not a single person had Kobe.
His was a really out of the <pardon me> blue death. He really wasn't known as a risk-taker, he was reportedly healthy, and he was a lot of points. Someone would have almost had to have been an anti-fan (any guesses on how many years I've been wishing Yoko Ono would give me points?) to have picked him at all.
  #330  
Old 01-27-2020, 06:54 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Okay, I see now it was the “burning slab” all along. I’m an idiot. No need to reply to this. I will bow out now. Back to the fun and games.
No, I never intended to evoke the burning slab image. There were 8 other people on that helicopter. I was only keyed on the wordplay (cf, the “expensive” part).
  #331  
Old 01-27-2020, 07:05 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
No, I never intended to evoke the burning slab image. There were 8 other people on that helicopter. I was only keyed on the wordplay (cf, the “expensive” part).
Ah, got it. Thanks!
  #332  
Old 01-28-2020, 12:19 PM
arara123 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 96
Todd Portune, Cincinnati City Councilman, Hamilton County Commissioner and potential candidate for Governor of Ohio, voted out of office permanently on January 25, 2020 at age 61.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...9I0YavgUdq70O/
  #333  
Old 01-28-2020, 03:11 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is online now
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,200
Jack Burns dead at 86. He started as part of the comedy team of Burns and Carlin with George Carlin. He later teamed up with Avery Schreiber as Burns and Schreiber. He wrote The Muppet Movie. He fought Andy Kaufman with Michael Richards on Friday’s.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...d-dies-86/amp/
  #334  
Old 01-28-2020, 03:49 PM
Mahaloth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 30,874
Nicholas Parsons, long-time host of Just-A-Minute, died at age 4 points(96 years old).
  #335  
Old 01-29-2020, 10:12 AM
phungi's Avatar
phungi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: on the spinning sphere
Posts: 3,028
Jay Allen, former Detroit Tigers announcer, dead at 60 from cancer. Points for me!
  #336  
Old 01-29-2020, 10:24 AM
Dead Cat is offline
I was curious...
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,546
If there is an afterlife, let's hope he gets the benefit of the doubt on this occasion.
  #337  
Old 01-29-2020, 11:00 AM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 59,680
NYC morning DJ Harry Harrison dead at 89

Dubbed the "Morning Mayor of New York," Harrison was a staple on WABC morning radio for over 40 years.
  #338  
Old 01-29-2020, 11:21 AM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is online now
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,200
I may have picked the wrong year to take Shaun Weiss off my list.
  #339  
Old 01-29-2020, 12:31 PM
Mahaloth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 30,874
What's the most unbelievable "get" someone has had in this game over the years? I thought someone got Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez back in the day. Is that right? If someone had had Kobe Bryant, it would have been insanely unbelievable.

What is our most unlikely get?
  #340  
Old 01-29-2020, 03:50 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,192
Or maybe the most heartbreaking miss, where someone whom a player took off their list died a few days or weeks into the following year?
  #341  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:02 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is online now
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Or maybe the most heartbreaking miss, where someone whom a player took off their list died a few days or weeks into the following year?
I had Ariel Sharon in 2006. He went into a coma in January 2006. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon for 2007. I carried him on my list until 2014 when I did a themed list. Guess when he died?
  #342  
Old 01-29-2020, 04:09 PM
Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,923
Bob Shane, The Kingston Solo has hung down his head and died at 85.
  #343  
Old 01-29-2020, 06:11 PM
Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I had Ariel Sharon in 2006. He went into a coma in January 2006. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon for 2007. I carried him on my list until 2014 when I did a themed list. Guess when he died?
That's why I never took him off my list. He was my surest bet for years.
__________________
"I started To Reign in Hell, but was bored out of my mind." - Doomtrain
  #344  
Old 01-30-2020, 02:25 AM
Personal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Beach
Posts: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
What's the most unbelievable "get" someone has had in this game over the years? I thought someone got Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez back in the day. Is that right? If someone had had Kobe Bryant, it would have been insanely unbelievable.

What is our most unlikely get?
I had Prince a couple of years ago. Only points I've ever gotten.
  #345  
Old 01-30-2020, 03:48 PM
Stephe96 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Amity Island USA
Posts: 2,639
NASCAR Driver John Andretti Dead At 56 After Colon Cancer Battle
__________________
Which is crazier? To the hear the
Voice of God when it's really only
thunder? Or to hear only thunder
when it's really the Voice of God?
  #346  
Old 01-30-2020, 03:50 PM
Stephe96 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Amity Island USA
Posts: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
What's the most unbelievable "get" someone has had in this game over the years? I thought someone got Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez back in the day. Is that right? If someone had had Kobe Bryant, it would have been insanely unbelievable.

What is our most unlikely get?
I had Tom Petty as an alternate!! No points, but I felt like a winner anyway.
__________________
Which is crazier? To the hear the
Voice of God when it's really only
thunder? Or to hear only thunder
when it's really the Voice of God?
  #347  
Old 01-30-2020, 04:00 PM
Registered at Last is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ont
Posts: 306
Deleted

Last edited by Registered at Last; 01-30-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Duplicate
  #348  
Old 01-30-2020, 04:06 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 8,767
TV executive Fred Silverman ceases programming at 82.
  #349  
Old 01-30-2020, 04:09 PM
Mean Mr. Mustard's Avatar
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
Bob Shane, The Kingston Solo has hung down his head and died at 85.
Will he ever return? No, he'll never return.
  #350  
Old 01-30-2020, 04:44 PM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is online now
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephe96 View Post
NASCAR Driver John Andretti Dead At 56 After Colon Cancer Battle
Points for a bunch of us
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017