View Poll Results: Where do you think Tom Brady will be at the beginning of next football season?
He'll be under contract with the Patriots 65 76.47%
He'll be under contract with a team other than the Patriots 12 14.12%
He'll still be playing football, but only with anybody who wants to play in pick-up games with him 8 9.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2020, 07:32 PM
BANNED

Tom Brady next season

Where do you think Tom Brady will be at the beginning of next football season?
Old 01-05-2020, 09:30 PM

I think he'll stay with the patriots, cheaters stick together. Really what kind of ego must one have to be one of the most talented QBs ever and still feel the need to cheat?
Old 01-05-2020, 09:36 PM

I expect Tom to stay to groom his successor.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:54 PM

well if he goes free agent sport writers have been mentioning the chargers an awful lot which will go somewhere between manning and the broncos and montana with the chiefs in results

Last edited by nightshadea; 01-05-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
He already did. Then they traded Garappolo to San Francisco, and who is still in the running for the Super Bowl, not having thrown a game-sealing pick six at the end of the game.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I expect him to stay at least one more season in New England. I don't like Tom Brady, but no way he lets his career end on THAT note. He'll stay with the Patriots until they draft his next replacement, then another year or two to help groom the kid, and not retire until he either wins one more ring or suffers a major injury.

At his age, I hold the ring/injury odds at 50/50. He's only had one(?) really bad injury during his career. He could be due for one, and it'd likely be a career-ender at this point.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:36 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

100% heís back with the Patriots.

Heís about the most competitive and driven person on earth. He doesnít care about grooming his successor. He thinks he can still win and if they get him some other receivers he probably can.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
100% heís back with the Patriots.

Heís about the most competitive and driven person on earth. He doesnít care about grooming his successor. He thinks he can still win and if they get him some other receivers he probably can.
I think this is correct. I'm baffled at the people who think he'll help groom his successor. He's so driven he begrudges giving his backups snaps in garbage time.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:11 AM

he has nothing to prove in NE and his house is on the market so he goes elsewhere . Maybe Indy since they have a pretty good offensive line. Or some other team with a good offense that wants a better QB, maybe SD as Rivers is probably not going back there.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:07 AM

Yeah, the whole reason Jimmy G. is in SF is because Tom told Bob Kraft "He goes or I do". He has zero interest in grooming anyone. He doesn't even like to work with young receivers who he's playing with, no way he wants to help his successor.

It all gets down to whether the Pats, specifically Belichick, are willing to give him what he wants - 2 or 3 years guaranteed at a huge salary. One of the other 31 teams will almost certainly give him that. Belichick almost certainly won't, so we'll wait to see if Kraft steps in to give Tom what he wants to make sure he retires a Patriot.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
he has nothing to prove in NE and his house is on the market so he goes elsewhere . Maybe Indy since they have a pretty good offensive line. Or some other team with a good offense that wants a better QB, maybe SD as Rivers is probably not going back there.
I do not want him in Indy. I don't want to have to root against my favorite team.

Last edited by ekedolphin; 01-06-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:41 AM

He probably stays with the Patriots. My off the wall prediction is that he's the QB fro the Las Vegas Raiders next year.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:29 AM

Brady is the one person that Kraft values even more than Belichick. In fact, Kraft took Brady's side on the Garappolo issue. To me, it's all up to Brady. But if he does stay, then does Belichick leave? Belichick really admires the NY Giants organization, and they have been slow in interviewing head coaches.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:48 AM

One thing I’d heard today is that New England may not be able to pay enough to keep him next year. He has been very generous in the past because he has wanted to stick with a winning team and not sucking up too much cap space helps ensure the rest of the team can succeed.

But that may end now. He clearly doesn’t have a lot around him. He has to know he isn’t going to be able to stick around forever in New England. It’s likely that he’ll entertain offers from other teams, and I’m sure there are franchises desperate for a QB who will toss barrels of cash to snatch Tom Goddamn Brady, who out of his prime is still a lot better than most other QBs in the game. New England likely can’t afford to compete with that and will let him go. It’s not a team known for being sentimental after all.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:02 PM

I'll buck the trend and say he's done. I agree he's ridiculously driven, but I think once things settle down, he'll take a look at how he did and the Patriots did overall this year, and what trajectory they are on for next year. He won't want to go out like that.

Going to another team isn't an option. He won't leave Belichick by choice, and I think the Pats would give him whatever he wanted if he wanted to stay.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:10 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I'll buck the trend and say he's done. I agree he's ridiculously driven, but I think once things settle down, he'll take a look at how he did and the Patriots did overall this year, and what trajectory they are on for next year. He won't want to go out like that.

Going to another team isn't an option. He won't leave Belichick by choice, and I think the Pats would give him whatever he wanted if he wanted to stay.
What trajectory do you think they are on? They went 12-4 with a diminished Brady and one receiver. I’m sure getting a big receiver will be on their agenda. They have a great defense. They are in a weak division. They will still be the favorites to win the AFC east unless Brady leaves. Once they are in the playoffs anything can happen. People are talking like the Patriots are the Giants instead of a division winner with a couple of bad games.

Last edited by Loach; 01-06-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:18 PM

If I take a ruler and connect the last 2 dots (Super Bowl victory to a loss in the WC game), the trajectory is down. Two points make a line.

But seriously, they aren't bad now, and they won't be bad next year. But I don't think they will be better next year than they were this year. I think it's more likely they are a little worse.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:28 PM

I think the odds of him retiring dropped around 10-15% after Saturday. There's no way he wants his final play in the NFL to be a pick 6.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
What trajectory do you think they are on? They went 12-4 with a diminished Brady and one receiver. Iím sure getting a big receiver will be on their agenda. They have a great defense. They are in a weak division. They will still be the favorites to win the AFC east unless Brady leaves. Once they are in the playoffs anything can happen. People are talking like the Patriots are the Giants instead of a division winner with a couple of bad games.
They'll be favorites if Brady leaves too. Perhaps bigger favorites, depending on who replaces him.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:41 PM

I'm more curious to see what he does after playing. Will he coach? Will he comment? Will he be good at either?
Old 01-06-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
They'll be favorites if Brady leaves too. Perhaps bigger favorites, depending on who replaces him.
Dalton.

Just you wait.

(Actually my dream scenario is Andy Dalton taking over for a retired Ben Roethlisberger and torching the Bengals, the Ginger Revenger.)
Old 01-06-2020, 02:11 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Franchise quarterbacks are not going to be available. Journeyman quarterbacks will not be as good as Brandy even now. Who will be better that will be available? Eli? Rivers? Keenum? Bridgewater?
Old 01-06-2020, 02:15 PM

No way he wants to retire with his last play being a game-losing pick 6 in a playoff.

What are his options? Go to the Chargers and play in half-full Rams stadium in front of Raiders fans? Not likely

I predict he'll be in a Patriots uniform next year.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Franchise quarterbacks are not going to be available. Journeyman quarterbacks will not be as good as Brandy even now. Who will be better that will be available? Eli? Rivers? Keenum? Bridgewater?
Bridgewater was pretty good though. He won 8 games this year and the only one he lost was the one he was unexpectedly put into after Brees got hurt.

But probably not better than Brady, I admit.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bridgewater was pretty good though. He won 8 games this year and the only one he lost was the one he was unexpectedly put into after Brees got hurt.

But probably not better than Brady, I admit.
Brady and Bridgewater have almost identical 538 ELO ratings. I don't think Teddy's actually as good as Brady, but Brady posted some pretty crappy numbers (for him) this year.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:19 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Brady and Bridgewater have almost identical 538 ELO ratings. I don't think Teddy's actually as good as Brady, but Brady posted some pretty crappy numbers (for him) this year.
If itís Bradyís decision to leave so be it. But can you imagine the Patriots letting him go and Robert Kraft telling the fans that Bridgewaterís numbers were almost identical?
Old 01-06-2020, 05:15 PM

I think he'll be back with the Patriots next season, but only if they pick-up some decent receivers for him to work with. I hear Odell Beckham is unhappy in Cleveland - what if the Patriots pick-up him or someone like him?
Old 01-06-2020, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

As of today. I think he’s going to retire. Does he really want to run the risk of an Alex Smith or Joe Theisman brutal injury? No one is going to remember the pick 6 except haters.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:32 PM
born to be shunned

Him, Drew and Gropey the Quarterback (Stillers) will all be back with their teams. A few others (<cough> Giants <cough>) could be more of a coin flip
Old 01-06-2020, 06:11 PM
BANNED

FWIW - Cris Collinsworth, after the Seahawks managed to beat the "Iggles" yesterday (and after being pressed, a bit, by Al Michaels), admitted that he thinks that Tom Brady will play again next season, but not for the Patriots. We'll see!
Old 01-06-2020, 06:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Him, Drew and Gropey the Quarterback (Stillers) will all be back with their teams. A few others (<cough> Giants <cough>) could be more of a coin flip
Old 01-06-2020, 06:15 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
As of today. I think heís going to retire. Does he really want to run the risk of an Alex Smith or Joe Theisman brutal injury? No one is going to remember the pick 6 except haters.
That is the smart play. He has nothing left to prove. He has no more accolades to earn. He has more money than he could spend. And heís one hit away from being a cripple or getting CTE if heís not there yet.

But that ego. And Iím not saying that in a bad way. His ego has driven him to greatness. His drive and commitment have fueled him for 20 years. I donít know if he can shut that off.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
He has nothing left to prove.
Neither did Willie Mays. Neither did Muhammad Ali. He'll be back.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Neither did Willie Mays. Neither did Muhammad Ali. He'll be back.
If Ali had seen Ali of the future, he wouldnít have been back.

Baseball is a different beast, horrible injuries and CTE arenít nearly the same factor.

There will be a bunch of rookies that really want to sack Brady and knock him on his ass. There were a lot of rookies that wanted to strike Willie Mays out and gloat as he walks back to the dugout.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
I think he'll be back with the Patriots next season, but only if they pick-up some decent receivers for him to work with. I hear Odell Beckham is unhappy in Cleveland - what if the Patriots pick-up him or someone like him?
Yeah, this is my thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if he tells the Patriots (or already has) that he'll only come back if they go get him a couple of top-notch weapons to give him one more shot at a ring. And I think they'll try really hard to find a way to do that.

I doubt that he lands anywhere else. He'd have to find a spot where he has a real shot at winning another Superbowl with the team in place that just needs a QB to get them over the top, and I just don't see that team out there. I really don't think it's about money for the guy at this point, and I don't think he feels like he has anything to prove. He just wants to play as long as he can keep winning.

Here's the thing, though. I really think his skills are deteriorating rapidly and things can start going south in a big hurry after 40. No shame in that, the dude's ancient and it's a minor miracle that he's still playing at the level he's at now. But even with two top WR's and a beefed up line, I just don't think he has the reflexes and strength to still be a top five QB. Even though I think that the Patriots might want to try to buy him some more time, I can't help but wonder if they might be better off taking their lumps without him and rebuilding. It's going to have to happen sooner or later.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:49 AM

I’m almost exactly one month older than Brady so he is not old.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Iím almost exactly one month older than Brady so he is not old.
Iím guessing his wife is hotter than yours... ?
Old 01-07-2020, 02:20 AM

Brady is 42. Has anyone played QB at this age at a high level? Isn’t he the one who Al Jazeera caught having HGH sent to his house under his wife’s name?

Last edited by AK84; 01-07-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Brady is 42. Has anyone played QB at this age at a high level? Isnít he the one who Al Jazeera caught having HGH sent to his house under his wifeís name?
There was Flutie, Testaverde,and Warren Moon. And of course Blanda.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Brady is 42. Has anyone played QB at this age at a high level? Isnít he the one who Al Jazeera caught having HGH sent to his house under his wifeís name?
That was Peyton Manning.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
There was Flutie, Testaverde,and Warren Moon. And of course Blanda.
So a guy (checks wiki) getting to 3 Super Bowls in a row as he turns 40 is, has been done before?
Old 01-07-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
So a guy (checks wiki) getting to 3 Super Bowls in a row as he turns 40 is, has been done before?
What question did you ask? It sure wasn't "has any 40 year old made 3 super bowls in a row?"
Old 01-07-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
What question did you ask? It sure wasn't "has any 40 year old made 3 super bowls in a row?"
Has anyone his age had such a run of success? Is he really a huge outlier
Lance Armstrong taught us, that if it sounds too good, it certainly is.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Has anyone his age had such a run of success?
Drew Brees is there with him, though he's a couple years younger. But his age 40 stats look better than Brady's. If anything he's more of an outlier than Brady

Not as many Super Bowls but that's not exactly a fair measure for a QB. It's still a team game and coaching still matters a lot, even if the QB is the most important individual player on the field - otherwise, wither Aaron Rodgers of the 1 Super Bowl appearance (victory though it was) or Dan Marino of the 0 Super Bowl wins in his only appearance?

Manning and Favre were clearly physically done by 41 but Brees and Brady both appear to be playing at a high level past age 40.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
If Ali had seen Ali of the future, he wouldnít have been back.

Baseball is a different beast, horrible injuries and CTE arenít nearly the same factor.
And CTE isn't something football players/boxers just suddenly get either. It's one of those diseases caused by sub-concussive(and concussive) hits over time. He's not "one hit away"- he's either well on the way there, or he's not.

That said, quarterbacks are typically not overly prone to having it happen to them, seeing as they may only have a small handful of head impacts per game or practice, unlike most other positions, where there are dozens per game or practice at a minimum.

Personally, I think he'll be back for at least one more season, and probably play out his contract through 2021. He's still one of the top five quarterbacks in the league, if not in the top 2-3. The Patriots had a bad playoff game- they still went 12-4 on the season and clinched their division. Brady has every chance of being at the helm for another Super Bowl sometime in the next couple seasons.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Personally, I think he'll be back for at least one more season, and probably play out his contract through 2021. He's still one of the top five quarterbacks in the league, if not in the top 2-3. The Patriots had a bad playoff game- they still went 12-4 on the season and clinched their division. Brady has every chance of being at the helm for another Super Bowl sometime in the next couple seasons.
He doesn't have a contract through 2021. His contract with the Patriots automatically voids in March and he becomes a free agent. AIUI, neither side can agree to extend the existing contract - they'd have to write a whole new one to stop him becoming a free agent.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
He doesn't have a contract through 2021. His contract with the Patriots automatically voids in March and he becomes a free agent. AIUI, neither side can agree to extend the existing contract - they'd have to write a whole new one to stop him becoming a free agent.
I read it as ďplay out a contract through 2021Ē, as in signing a new 2 year contract with New England, though maybe Iím making too generous of an assumption.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:54 PM

This is what I was talking about:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-with-patriots

It says he's under contract through 2021.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:39 PM

My prediction is he comes back as a Patriot next year but that his decline continues. He’ll be good enough to lead the team to a winning record, but the Bills will win the division. The Patriots will make the playoffs as a wildcard and lose in the first round again, and that will be the end of his career.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 01-07-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
This is what I was talking about:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-with-patriots

It says he's under contract through 2021.
It automatically voids at the end of the season:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-new-extension

Basically it's all a loophole to massage the salary cap. So if he wanted to stay with the Patriots he would need to sign a new contract.