Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2020, 08:25 PM
Charlie Wayne is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,007

Curious about the name of one of the boards


Hello. I've always been curious about the name of the board, "Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share".

I could well be mistaken. But somehow I imagine there may be a funny story behind the way that name was selected.

If there is any such story, may I ask who it was that came up with that name and how it came into being?
  #2  
Old 01-12-2020, 08:38 PM
Zeldar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 24,594
This probably has little or no bearing on your basic question, but when I first saw it I thought it was like some initials of a person named Sims! As in M P Sims. Once I saw it as an acronym that interpretation went away!

I look forward to more intelligent explanations!
  #3  
Old 01-12-2020, 08:56 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,322
Way back in the prehistory of the board, back when we were still on AOL, there was a thread about some completely pointless topic (I don't remember what it was, but then, I wasn't there). Someone suggested that the thread be renamed Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share. The thread became a popular hangout, sort of like the Monday Morning Posts nowadays, and so when we got our own site, they made a whole forum just for that sort of stuff.
  #4  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:18 PM
Charlie Wayne is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Way back in the prehistory of the board, back when we were still on AOL, there was a thread about some completely pointless topic (I don't remember what it was, but then, I wasn't there). Someone suggested that the thread be renamed Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share. The thread became a popular hangout, sort of like the Monday Morning Posts nowadays, and so when we got our own site, they made a whole forum just for that sort of stuff.
Heh Heh. Thanks very much for that explanation.

When you said, "Way back in the prehistory of the board ....", I imagined that scene from 2001 a Space Odyssey, with all the members in a circle and each one holding a club and looking sideways at his neighbour.
  #5  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:22 PM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 20,980
I believe the original completely pointless topic was either "Titanic Wallpaper" or "Who Was Mister Ruda Duda". I forget which.
  #6  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 PM
Superdude's Avatar
Superdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 10,925
I've been on this board for almost 20 years. Back in the debauchery-laden, hedonistic days of the Chidopes when posters like jarbabyj, Persephone (RIP), and the like posted here, you'd hear it referred to in regular conversation as "M P Sims."
__________________
It's chaos. Be kind.
  #7  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:32 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 11,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
Heh Heh. Thanks very much for that explanation.

When you said, "Way back in the prehistory of the board ....", I imagined that scene from 2001 a Space Odyssey, with all the members in a circle and each one holding a club and looking sideways at his neighbour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwxYiVXYyVs

Jenny
  #8  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:39 PM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Slow-cala, Florida
Posts: 25,468
TubaD--

You forgot the video!
__________________
"Woof! Woof! Woof! Woof! That's my other dog imitation." - Oddball
  #9  
Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 PM
ASL v2.0's Avatar
ASL v2.0 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Various
Posts: 989
Could it be based upon the unwritten short story of a similar name, I Have No Point, But I Must Share, by Charles Mundanity?
  #10  
Old 01-12-2020, 10:42 PM
hajario's Avatar
hajario is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 16,402
[QUOTE=Superdude;22077502]I've been on this board for almost 20 years. [/b]

Me too. Damn.

Quote:
Back in the debauchery-laden, hedonistic days of the Chidopes when posters like jarbabyj, Persephone (RIP), and the like posted here, you'd hear it referred to in regular conversation as "M P Sims."
I've never met a Doper in real life but that's how I say it in my head.

Last edited by hajario; 01-12-2020 at 10:43 PM.
  #11  
Old 01-12-2020, 11:01 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boonies??
Posts: 22,189
And, Boy, I am ever so happy there is a MPSIMS.()
  #12  
Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 AM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
When you said, "Way back in the prehistory of the board ....", I imagined that scene from 2001 a Space Odyssey, with all the members in a circle and each one holding a club and looking sideways at his neighbour.
Iím picturing the Ringo Starr movie Caveman.
  #13  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:58 AM
Mean Mr. Mustard's Avatar
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
And, Boy, I am ever so happy there is a MPSIMS.()
I'm waiting for the inevitable change to MPSBMS.


  #14  
Old 01-13-2020, 07:21 AM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Iím picturing the Ringo Starr movie Caveman.
I remember that as s very funny movie.
  #15  
Old 01-13-2020, 12:21 PM
kopek's Avatar
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 16,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
Heh Heh. Thanks very much for that explanation.

When you said, "Way back in the prehistory of the board ....", I imagined that scene from 2001 a Space Odyssey, with all the members in a circle and each one holding a club and looking sideways at his neighbour.
More likely a squid.
  #16  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:28 PM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 21,635
Been around for 19 years and I still don't understand why we have IMHO and MPSIMS. The names don't help at all.
  #17  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:32 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Been around for 19 years and I still don't understand why we have IMHO and MPSIMS. The names don't help at all.
IMHO is for soliciting or providing opinions about general topics. MPSIMS is for just talking about totally generic ďwhateverĒ topics that donít fit elsewhere. Thatís how Iíve always interpreted their uses.
  #18  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:48 PM
kopek's Avatar
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 16,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
IMHO is for soliciting or providing opinions about general topics. MPSIMS is for just talking about totally generic ďwhateverĒ topics that donít fit elsewhere. Thatís how Iíve always interpreted their uses.
Same here; and I always thought both quite well named based on what I saw/see there. The one I found confusing (a little) was the one about Chicago (?). Something in my brain is saying it had a bad reaction to that title for some reason and always had to re-read the explanation under it.
  #19  
Old 01-13-2020, 11:08 PM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 15,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
IMHO is for soliciting or providing opinions about general topics. MPSIMS is for just talking about totally generic ďwhateverĒ topics that donít fit elsewhere. Thatís how Iíve always interpreted their uses.
And yet... And yet...

A certain mod just recently closed a GQ thread on the grounds that it doesn't belong in GQ, nor anywhere else on this board either. Given the responses it had received so far, I thought it might have fit well enough in Politics or IMHO or, failing that, in the catch-all MPSIMS. I didn't see anything fully Pit-worthy there.

So apparently MPSIMS isn't the catch-all for "topics that don't fit elsewhere".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

It looks like you're attempting to ask factual questions here, which makes this thread not a good fit for non-GQ forums. But you're also framing the questions in a way that makes it not a good fit for GQ, either. I therefore find that this thread doesn't fit anywhere on the board. Make up your mind on what thread you want: If you want to complain about Trump, then write an OP to that effect, and put it in either Politics or the Pit. If you want to ask factual questions about presidential libraries, then write an OP to that effect, and post that OP here.
What, we're not allowed to discuss facts or even a mixture of facts and opinions in non-GQ places now?
__________________
=========================================
  #20  
Old 01-14-2020, 12:23 AM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 85,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
I believe the original completely pointless topic was either "Titanic Wallpaper" or "Who Was Mister Ruda Duda". I forget which.
Wallpaper. Somebody had found a website about the wallpaper on the Titanic and posted a thread about it. And somebody else asked if they had a reason for starting a thread on the topic or if it was just "mundane pointless stuff I must share".
  #21  
Old 01-14-2020, 12:25 AM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 85,061
The response was "Many people wonder and now I ask about the Titanic wallpaper."

Last edited by Little Nemo; 01-14-2020 at 12:28 AM.
  #22  
Old 01-14-2020, 12:34 AM
nelliebly is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,801
MPSIMS: My German Shepherd thinks he's people.
GQ: What dog breeds show evidence think they're human?
IMHO: I hate when people say their dogs think they're human! Dogs think they're dogs. People think dogs think they're human!
  #23  
Old 01-14-2020, 01:39 AM
MEBuckner's Avatar
MEBuckner is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posts: 12,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
IMHO: I hate when people say their dogs think they're human! Dogs think they're dogs. People think dogs think they're human!
That one might be more the Pit. IMHO would be "Poll: Do you consider your dog or cat to be a 'member of the family' or not?"

(GD would be "Should we recognize that the 'higher' non-human animals--like apes or dolphins or even dogs--have 'rights', and if so, what should those rights be?"

Politics & Elections would be [2012] "Do you think that story about Mitt Romney putting the family dog in a pet carrier on the roof of his car will hurt his election chances?")
  #24  
Old 01-14-2020, 11:04 AM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 21,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
IMHO is for soliciting or providing opinions about general topics. MPSIMS is for just talking about totally generic ďwhateverĒ topics that donít fit elsewhere. Thatís how Iíve always interpreted their uses.
Opinions are expressed in both. And "don't fit elsewhere" is a useless explanation for something like this. If there was no MPSIMS it'd go in IMHO, right? Your explanation is as clear as mud.
  #25  
Old 01-14-2020, 11:31 AM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 20,980
IMHO is newer than MPSIMS. It was created to address a zone of content wherein someone is expressing an opinion (as opposed to describing their day or telling folks about this cool new recipe they tried) but not wishing to square off with the argumentatives over in Great Debates.

We got along OK when there was just ATMB, Comments on Cecil's Column, GQ, GD, and MPSIMS.

It's a bit more granular now and because of the fuzziness of definition more overlap.
  #26  
Old 01-14-2020, 12:01 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,322
We do get cases sometimes where a thread could fit reasonably well in either of two different forums. If it's already in one of those two, usually we just leave it there. If it's somewhere else and we need to move it, we make our best guess.
  #27  
Old 01-14-2020, 01:19 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 85,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
We got along OK when there was just ATMB, Comments on Cecil's Column, GQ, GD, and MPSIMS.
Great Debates was not one of the board's original forums.

There was a void in the board. We had a forum where people could ask questions but we didn't have a forum where people could discuss differing sides of an issue.

But the specific trigger that led to the creation of GD was a poster who began posting witnessing threads in the form of questions. He start a thread in GQ with a topic like "Why have people not accepted Jesus as their personal savior?" and load the thread with proselytizing posts.

So GD was created as a separate forum for questions that didn't have a objectively factual answer - and the description specifically directed religious witnessing to that forum.
  #28  
Old 01-14-2020, 01:37 PM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 20,980
I don't recall a post-AOL time when Great Debates didn't exist. (And under AOL, there was nothing but "General Questions" and "Comments on Cecil's Column").

The Wayback Machine doesn't have any 1999 snapshots. This 2000-vintage snap is the oldest I can find. By that point at any rate we had Great Debates in place.

That doesn't mean you remember wrong. That 2000 snapshot also shows the board running vBulletin, and I know it started off running ubb. So a lot of things could have changed within those first few months and I might be misremembering about GD.

Last edited by AHunter3; 01-14-2020 at 01:37 PM.
  #29  
Old 01-14-2020, 01:46 PM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 20,980
^^^ Umm, that's because I forgot that the URL changed when we switched to vBulletin

OK, here is an August 1999 snapshot showing the forums. Great Debates is among them.

Last edited by AHunter3; 01-14-2020 at 01:47 PM.
  #30  
Old 01-14-2020, 10:32 PM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 15,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
We do get cases sometimes where a thread could fit reasonably well in either of two different forums. If it's already in one of those two, usually we just leave it there. If it's somewhere else and we need to move it, we make our best guess.
Often, if a thread seems to be in the wrong forum, a mod will move it.

Often also, if a thread seems to be in the wrong forum, a mod will close it, with a suggestion that OP start a new thread elsewhere.

Is there a defined and knowable criterion by which this choice is made?

ETA: The reason why I'm fussing about this (repeatedly even in this thread already) is that sometimes, ISTM that a reasonable discussion has already ensued in the existing thread, and it seems like the mod is trying to fix something that ain't broke.

Last edited by Senegoid; 01-14-2020 at 10:34 PM.
  #31  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:30 AM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 19,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Great Debates was not one of the board's original forums.

There was a void in the board. We had a forum where people could ask questions but we didn't have a forum where people could discuss differing sides of an issue.

But the specific trigger that led to the creation of GD was a poster who began posting witnessing threads in the form of questions. He start a thread in GQ with a topic like "Why have people not accepted Jesus as their personal savior?" and load the thread with proselytizing posts.

So GD was created as a separate forum for questions that didn't have a objectively factual answer - and the description specifically directed religious witnessing to that forum.
That seems at a odds with this thread I just found that says "from now on witnessing goes in GD"
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...ad.php?t=21521
  #32  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:39 AM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 19,745
Here's one from June '99 where they didn't have moderators assigned to GD yet:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...ad.php?t=21482
  #33  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:27 AM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 11,431
The early days of the website were in tandem with being on AOL: at that time we had a somewhat rudimentary website that featured the columns and the books and shared Straight Dope information. The message boards were strictly an AOL thing until 1999, when we left the AOL platform.

https://web.archive.org/web/19961230...aightdope.com/

Interesting to look at our used to be.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
  #34  
Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 19,745
Yeah, crazy. We've updated the software at least twice since then.
  #35  
Old 01-15-2020, 01:01 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
MPSIMS: My German Shepherd thinks he's people.
GQ: What dog breeds show evidence think they're human?
IMHO: I hate when people say their dogs think they're human! Dogs think they're dogs. People think dogs think they're human!
GD: Do Dogs have souls, do they go to heaven?

Pit: I hate people who hate pitbulls....

Politics: Can a Blue Dog Democrat win the Primary?
  #36  
Old 01-16-2020, 03:39 PM
Tim R. Mortiss's Avatar
Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 7,340
I always assumed that IMHO was for soliciting other peoples' opinions on some topic, and MPSIMS was for getting stuff off your own chest, opinions or otherwise. But even so, they seem like they could easily be merged into one.
  #37  
Old 01-20-2020, 09:35 AM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Opinions are expressed in both. And "don't fit elsewhere" is a useless explanation for something like this. If there was no MPSIMS it'd go in IMHO, right? Your explanation is as clear as mud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I always assumed that IMHO was for soliciting other peoples' opinions on some topic, and MPSIMS was for getting stuff off your own chest, opinions or otherwise. But even so, they seem like they could easily be merged into one.
That's because IMHO is newer than MPSIMS. It was split off when MPSIMS was too large and too active. Active threads were running several pages, and it was hard to keep up with so much turnover. So the board looked for a way to spread the activity. They decided to split off opinions that weren't worthy of Great Debates, as well as Cafť Society for arts and entertainment. Then the Game Room came along, and Thread Games spun off that to remove the highly active thread games from overwhelming other sports and games topics.

So yeah, MPSIMS and IMHO could easily be one forum.
  #38  
Old 01-20-2020, 10:14 AM
Charlie Wayne is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
MPSIMS: My German Shepherd thinks he's people.
GQ: What dog breeds show evidence think they're human?
IMHO: I hate when people say their dogs think they're human! Dogs think they're dogs. People think dogs think they're human!
I hope this isn't too off topic. But ...

If you are right, would that imply that dogs think people think they are dogs? If so, it would seem to complete the circle. Wouldn't it?

There may be other examples. For example:

Does Trump think that chumps think they are Trump? Do chumps think that Trump thinks he is a chump? If so, that may explain quite a lot.
  #39  
Old 01-20-2020, 11:11 AM
engineer_comp_geek's Avatar
engineer_comp_geek is offline
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,275
Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
Does Trump think that chumps think they are Trump? Do chumps think that Trump thinks he is a chump? If so, that may explain quite a lot.
Too off topic. Take the political comments to a more appropriate forum.
  #40  
Old 01-20-2020, 12:13 PM
Johanna's Avatar
Johanna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 13,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
Could it be based upon the unwritten short story of a similar name, I Have No Point, But I Must Share, by Charles Mundanity?

by Mundlan Mundaneson.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017