Old 01-12-2020, 08:25 PM
BANNED

Curious about the name of one of the boards

Hello. I've always been curious about the name of the board, "Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share".

I could well be mistaken. But somehow I imagine there may be a funny story behind the way that name was selected.

If there is any such story, may I ask who it was that came up with that name and how it came into being?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:38 PM

This probably has little or no bearing on your basic question, but when I first saw it I thought it was like some initials of a person named Sims! As in M P Sims. Once I saw it as an acronym that interpretation went away!

I look forward to more intelligent explanations!
Old 01-12-2020, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Way back in the prehistory of the board, back when we were still on AOL, there was a thread about some completely pointless topic (I don't remember what it was, but then, I wasn't there). Someone suggested that the thread be renamed Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share. The thread became a popular hangout, sort of like the Monday Morning Posts nowadays, and so when we got our own site, they made a whole forum just for that sort of stuff.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Way back in the prehistory of the board, back when we were still on AOL, there was a thread about some completely pointless topic (I don't remember what it was, but then, I wasn't there). Someone suggested that the thread be renamed Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share. The thread became a popular hangout, sort of like the Monday Morning Posts nowadays, and so when we got our own site, they made a whole forum just for that sort of stuff.
Heh Heh. Thanks very much for that explanation.

When you said, "Way back in the prehistory of the board ....", I imagined that scene from 2001 a Space Odyssey, with all the members in a circle and each one holding a club and looking sideways at his neighbour.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

I believe the original completely pointless topic was either "Titanic Wallpaper" or "Who Was Mister Ruda Duda". I forget which.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 PM

I've been on this board for almost 20 years. Back in the debauchery-laden, hedonistic days of the Chidopes when posters like jarbabyj, Persephone (RIP), and the like posted here, you'd hear it referred to in regular conversation as "M P Sims."
Old 01-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post

When you said, "Way back in the prehistory of the board ....", I imagined that scene from 2001 a Space Odyssey, with all the members in a circle and each one holding a club and looking sideways at his neighbour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwxYiVXYyVs

Jenny
Old 01-12-2020, 09:39 PM

TubaD--

You forgot the video!
Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 PM

Could it be based upon the unwritten short story of a similar name, I Have No Point, But I Must Share, by Charles Mundanity?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Superdude;22077502]I've been on this board for almost 20 years. [/b]

Me too. Damn.

Quote:
Back in the debauchery-laden, hedonistic days of the Chidopes when posters like jarbabyj, Persephone (RIP), and the like posted here, you'd hear it referred to in regular conversation as "M P Sims."
I've never met a Doper in real life but that's how I say it in my head.

Last edited by hajario; 01-12-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:01 PM

And, Boy, I am ever so happy there is a MPSIMS.()
Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Iím picturing the Ringo Starr movie Caveman.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
And, Boy, I am ever so happy there is a MPSIMS.()
I'm waiting for the inevitable change to MPSBMS.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Iím picturing the Ringo Starr movie Caveman.
I remember that as s very funny movie.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:21 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:

More likely a squid.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:28 PM

Been around for 19 years and I still don't understand why we have IMHO and MPSIMS. The names don't help at all.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Been around for 19 years and I still don't understand why we have IMHO and MPSIMS. The names don't help at all.
IMHO is for soliciting or providing opinions about general topics. MPSIMS is for just talking about totally generic ďwhateverĒ topics that donít fit elsewhere. Thatís how Iíve always interpreted their uses.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:48 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
IMHO is for soliciting or providing opinions about general topics. MPSIMS is for just talking about totally generic ďwhateverĒ topics that donít fit elsewhere. Thatís how Iíve always interpreted their uses.
Same here; and I always thought both quite well named based on what I saw/see there. The one I found confusing (a little) was the one about Chicago (?). Something in my brain is saying it had a bad reaction to that title for some reason and always had to re-read the explanation under it.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
And yet... And yet...

A certain mod just recently closed a GQ thread on the grounds that it doesn't belong in GQ, nor anywhere else on this board either. Given the responses it had received so far, I thought it might have fit well enough in Politics or IMHO or, failing that, in the catch-all MPSIMS. I didn't see anything fully Pit-worthy there.

So apparently MPSIMS isn't the catch-all for "topics that don't fit elsewhere".

Quote:
[Moderating]

It looks like you're attempting to ask factual questions here, which makes this thread not a good fit for non-GQ forums. But you're also framing the questions in a way that makes it not a good fit for GQ, either. I therefore find that this thread doesn't fit anywhere on the board. Make up your mind on what thread you want: If you want to complain about Trump, then write an OP to that effect, and put it in either Politics or the Pit. If you want to ask factual questions about presidential libraries, then write an OP to that effect, and post that OP here.
What, we're not allowed to discuss facts or even a mixture of facts and opinions in non-GQ places now?
Old 01-14-2020, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
I believe the original completely pointless topic was either "Titanic Wallpaper" or "Who Was Mister Ruda Duda". I forget which.
Wallpaper. Somebody had found a website about the wallpaper on the Titanic and posted a thread about it. And somebody else asked if they had a reason for starting a thread on the topic or if it was just "mundane pointless stuff I must share".
Old 01-14-2020, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

The response was "Many people wonder and now I ask about the Titanic wallpaper."

Last edited by Little Nemo; 01-14-2020 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:34 AM

MPSIMS: My German Shepherd thinks he's people.
GQ: What dog breeds show evidence think they're human?
IMHO: I hate when people say their dogs think they're human! Dogs think they're dogs. People think dogs think they're human!
Old 01-14-2020, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
IMHO: I hate when people say their dogs think they're human! Dogs think they're dogs. People think dogs think they're human!
That one might be more the Pit. IMHO would be "Poll: Do you consider your dog or cat to be a 'member of the family' or not?"

(GD would be "Should we recognize that the 'higher' non-human animals--like apes or dolphins or even dogs--have 'rights', and if so, what should those rights be?"

Politics & Elections would be [2012] "Do you think that story about Mitt Romney putting the family dog in a pet carrier on the roof of his car will hurt his election chances?")
Old 01-14-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Opinions are expressed in both. And "don't fit elsewhere" is a useless explanation for something like this. If there was no MPSIMS it'd go in IMHO, right? Your explanation is as clear as mud.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

IMHO is newer than MPSIMS. It was created to address a zone of content wherein someone is expressing an opinion (as opposed to describing their day or telling folks about this cool new recipe they tried) but not wishing to square off with the argumentatives over in Great Debates.

We got along OK when there was just ATMB, Comments on Cecil's Column, GQ, GD, and MPSIMS.

It's a bit more granular now and because of the fuzziness of definition more overlap.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

We do get cases sometimes where a thread could fit reasonably well in either of two different forums. If it's already in one of those two, usually we just leave it there. If it's somewhere else and we need to move it, we make our best guess.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
We got along OK when there was just ATMB, Comments on Cecil's Column, GQ, GD, and MPSIMS.
Great Debates was not one of the board's original forums.

There was a void in the board. We had a forum where people could ask questions but we didn't have a forum where people could discuss differing sides of an issue.

But the specific trigger that led to the creation of GD was a poster who began posting witnessing threads in the form of questions. He start a thread in GQ with a topic like "Why have people not accepted Jesus as their personal savior?" and load the thread with proselytizing posts.

So GD was created as a separate forum for questions that didn't have a objectively factual answer - and the description specifically directed religious witnessing to that forum.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I don't recall a post-AOL time when Great Debates didn't exist. (And under AOL, there was nothing but "General Questions" and "Comments on Cecil's Column").

The Wayback Machine doesn't have any 1999 snapshots. This 2000-vintage snap is the oldest I can find. By that point at any rate we had Great Debates in place.

That doesn't mean you remember wrong. That 2000 snapshot also shows the board running vBulletin, and I know it started off running ubb. So a lot of things could have changed within those first few months and I might be misremembering about GD.

Last edited by AHunter3; 01-14-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

^^^ Umm, that's because I forgot that the URL changed when we switched to vBulletin

OK, here is an August 1999 snapshot showing the forums. Great Debates is among them.

Last edited by AHunter3; 01-14-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
We do get cases sometimes where a thread could fit reasonably well in either of two different forums. If it's already in one of those two, usually we just leave it there. If it's somewhere else and we need to move it, we make our best guess.
Often, if a thread seems to be in the wrong forum, a mod will move it.

Often also, if a thread seems to be in the wrong forum, a mod will close it, with a suggestion that OP start a new thread elsewhere.

Is there a defined and knowable criterion by which this choice is made?

ETA: The reason why I'm fussing about this (repeatedly even in this thread already) is that sometimes, ISTM that a reasonable discussion has already ensued in the existing thread, and it seems like the mod is trying to fix something that ain't broke.

Last edited by Senegoid; 01-14-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Great Debates was not one of the board's original forums.

There was a void in the board. We had a forum where people could ask questions but we didn't have a forum where people could discuss differing sides of an issue.

But the specific trigger that led to the creation of GD was a poster who began posting witnessing threads in the form of questions. He start a thread in GQ with a topic like "Why have people not accepted Jesus as their personal savior?" and load the thread with proselytizing posts.

So GD was created as a separate forum for questions that didn't have a objectively factual answer - and the description specifically directed religious witnessing to that forum.
That seems at a odds with this thread I just found that says "from now on witnessing goes in GD"
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...ad.php?t=21521
Old 01-15-2020, 06:39 AM

Here's one from June '99 where they didn't have moderators assigned to GD yet:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...ad.php?t=21482
Old 01-15-2020, 10:27 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

The early days of the website were in tandem with being on AOL: at that time we had a somewhat rudimentary website that featured the columns and the books and shared Straight Dope information. The message boards were strictly an AOL thing until 1999, when we left the AOL platform.

https://web.archive.org/web/19961230...aightdope.com/

Interesting to look at our used to be.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM

Yeah, crazy. We've updated the software at least twice since then.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
GD: Do Dogs have souls, do they go to heaven?

Pit: I hate people who hate pitbulls....

Politics: Can a Blue Dog Democrat win the Primary?
Old 01-16-2020, 03:39 PM

I always assumed that IMHO was for soliciting other peoples' opinions on some topic, and MPSIMS was for getting stuff off your own chest, opinions or otherwise. But even so, they seem like they could easily be merged into one.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Opinions are expressed in both. And "don't fit elsewhere" is a useless explanation for something like this. If there was no MPSIMS it'd go in IMHO, right? Your explanation is as clear as mud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I always assumed that IMHO was for soliciting other peoples' opinions on some topic, and MPSIMS was for getting stuff off your own chest, opinions or otherwise. But even so, they seem like they could easily be merged into one.
That's because IMHO is newer than MPSIMS. It was split off when MPSIMS was too large and too active. Active threads were running several pages, and it was hard to keep up with so much turnover. So the board looked for a way to spread the activity. They decided to split off opinions that weren't worthy of Great Debates, as well as Cafť Society for arts and entertainment. Then the Game Room came along, and Thread Games spun off that to remove the highly active thread games from overwhelming other sports and games topics.

So yeah, MPSIMS and IMHO could easily be one forum.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I hope this isn't too off topic. But ...

If you are right, would that imply that dogs think people think they are dogs? If so, it would seem to complete the circle. Wouldn't it?

There may be other examples. For example:

Does Trump think that chumps think they are Trump? Do chumps think that Trump thinks he is a chump? If so, that may explain quite a lot.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:11 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Does Trump think that chumps think they are Trump? Do chumps think that Trump thinks he is a chump? If so, that may explain quite a lot.
Too off topic. Take the political comments to a more appropriate forum.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
Could it be based upon the unwritten short story of a similar name, I Have No Point, But I Must Share, by Charles Mundanity?

by Mundlan Mundaneson.