Old 02-11-2020, 06:58 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Do you ever go out without ID?

I've read a bunch of stories on sites like Not Always Right where a store clerk will ask for ID and the customer claims not to have any. These aren't necessarily underage kids trying to buy beer - some are adults who apparently don't carry ID with them.

I don't go anywhere without my purse, especially when driving, so I have my wallet and my license with me. Even on vacation in situations where I'm neither driving nor planning to buy alcohol, I'll make sure my license is in my pocket - how else will the police identify my body?? But seriously, it seems a simple, common-sense thing to have a form of identification on your person, just in case.

Do you ever wander about anonymously? If so, why?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:05 AM

Some people get really angry about government control or are terrified of identity theft.

I always have a piece of ID on me for identification purposes, but it's not a legal requirement to carry it. In practice, almost everybody carries ID, even if it's only for other purposes. You can't drive without a drivers' license, and even your bank cards are a form of "soft" ID. Going without ID is so unusual that the police consider if suspicious.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:06 AM

*Raises hand*

Frequently. Not out of any sort of devil-may-care attitude, but more because I don't think about it. I walk the dog every day, and only occasionally have my phone on me, and almost never any other ID on those occasions.

I'll often go down the shops with just a debit card in my pocket.

It's not a legal requirement to carry ID in the UK, even when driving a car.

Last edited by SanVito; 02-11-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:14 AM

I actually have dogtags on, most days.
I have medic alert info that needs to be clear if I have a problem.
I usually have my drivers lisc...even if I'm not driving, as well.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-11-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I never leave the house without keys, wallet, phone.

(Spectacles, testicles, watch, wallet, keys)
Old 02-11-2020, 07:23 AM

I pretty much always have ID on me, other than when I'm walking the dogs in our woods and adjacent areas. That said, if I'm walking down the street and a police officer stopped me and asked for ID, I'd deny having any, even if it was in my pocket.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

I don't think I ever leave my house without my wallet, which contains my driver's license, cash, credit cards, etc.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:30 AM

If I have my purse with me, I have my ID. And I can't think of anyplace I go without my purse. Maybe downstairs to my apartment building's laundry room in the basement across the yard, but nowhere else.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Never. I even put my wallet in my robe when backing a car out of the driveway. In the mornings I'm often asked to move a the car to let someone out. I'm only backing into the street for a minute, and then returning up the drive to repark, but I never leave my property without ID.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 AM

My driving license lives in my wallet, so I usually have it. No-one's asked to see it in years though.

Usually by the time you look 25 few places will ask for ID when you're buying alcohol, and that's tougher than it used to be; I'm in my 30s, I've only ever been IDed in the UK maybe 3 times, and I started going to pubs at 16. Aside from buying booze, you may well never need to show one unless you want to get on a plane or get stopped by police while driving and they ask to see it, in which case you have 7 days to take it to a police station (our car registration system is all joined up, if you don't show up, they know who legally owns the car). One of my former housemates - a similar age to me - doesn't own any photo ID; he doesn't drive or have a passport and he's simply never bothered getting any.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 AM
I was curious...

Normally I carry my photocard driving licence in my wallet, but I seem to have mislaid it at the moment, so I have to make a special effort to remember my passport if I'll be needing photo ID.

In the UK, as SanVito has said, it's not legally required to carry ID even when driving, but if pulled over by police and you cannot produce proof of licence and insurance, they may ask you to do so at a police station in the next 7 days. I had this happen many years ago and it wasn't a problem - these days everything should be on electronic databases that they can check in a few minutes at the roadside, so I don't know if it's used much now.

I'm not paranoid or worried about ID theft, just generally have no need for ID in my everyday life. I did nearly need it just after Christmas when a landlady in a virtually empty village pub asked me if I had ID. I said (completely truthfully, and surprised) "No, I'm 34". She said "Oh, that's alright then - if you were from Trading Standards checking up on me, you wouldn't be allowed to lie.". I'm pretty sure a) that's not true and b) she was on something. I'm not particularly youthful-looking, the youngest I could pass for is probably about 25 if that. So the whole episode was rather amusing. If she had been doing her job properly, I simply would have had a soft drink instead.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:35 AM

Tenn. was one of the last states to put pictures on your DL. One woman refused saying her religion banned photos. Called it a graven image. I don't recall what they did about her.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I pretty much always have ID on me, other than when I'm walking the dogs in our woods and adjacent areas. That said, if I'm walking down the street and a police officer stopped me and asked for ID, I'd deny having any, even if it was in my pocket.
Lying to the police rarely leads to good outcomes. If you don't want to show your ID, you're within your rights to refuse to do so, although you may be legally required to identify yourself by other means.

AIUI, in most/all states, you're required to present a valid driver's license if you're stopped while operating a motor vehicle. US citizens in other circumstances (e.g. passengers in a car, or pedestrians anywhere else) may be legally required to identify themselves to a police officer upon request, but they're not required to present government-issued identification documents for that purpose. Adult permanent residents in the US are required to carry their green card with them at all times.

I can't find a solid answer on whether foreign tourists in the US (or foreign people here on student/work visas) are required to have their passports with them at all times.

I'm a US citizen, but if I go out without ID it's because I forgot it.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:52 AM

I have a wallet-style phone case. The joke when I got it was, "Now I can lose all of my stuff at once!" Which is still true, but it also means if I have my phone, I have all of my stuff, including my money and ID. My phone is quite large and the wallet case makes it even larger, and I specifically bought a case that's a nice aqua color that's easy to spot on the floor (where a black case might not be), so losing it is fairly difficult.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 AM

I always have my wallet (with my ID in it) in my pocket and it only comes out of my pocket when I get ready for bed at night.

When I go outside I always grab my car keys as well. I'm always afraid I'm going to do something stupid like lock myself out (which would be bad as I live alone).

As an aside, I have street parking with odd/even parking rules. I always put on my seat belt even if just moving my car to the other side of the street.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:27 AM

I'm a legal alien and am required to carry my Alien Registration Card with me. I occasionally don't, for example if I'm running by the river, but I don't live within walking distance of anywhere so 99% plus of the time, I have my ID with me.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:38 AM

Pretty much always have it on me.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:45 AM

Another UK resident here, the only time I carry ID is to get into to the local art museum (on locals get in free day). It's bit weird showing a driving licence to an art show attendant, but maybe a bit less OTT than taking a passport.

About being pulled over driving, do the Old Bill even give you a "producer" any more, now they can check your tax and insurance there and then?
Old 02-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

If I'm leaving the house, even walking or just driving my kid to school in the morning while I'm wearing pajamas and snow boots (because they're faster to put on than my shoes), I always grab at least my driver's license and insurance card.
Sure, the likelihood of needing them in the 10 minutes that I'm gone is near zero, if something happens I do have them. I always think of the worse case scenario being that I get hit by a car or somehow otherwise end up unconscious, at least there's a fast way for people to figure out who I am.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Lying to the police rarely leads to good outcomes. If you don't want to show your ID, you're within your rights to refuse to do so, although you may be legally required to identify yourself by other means.
I have no problem stating my name if asked, but if I am on foot I am not going top respond well to a "show me your papers" type inquiry.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 AM

If I'm driving or going to a store, I'll have my wallet b/c that is where my license and $ live. If my wife and I are driving somewhere, she generally prefers to drive, so I'll often not bring my wallet or keys. She'll have both her ID and keys (and we can always get back in thru the garage.) Unless alcohol is served. She drinks (moderately), I don't. So even if she just expects to have 1 drink, I'll bring my wallet and drive home. But it occasionally happens that we will drive somewhere, and then I'll go out an walk - maybe take a grandkid to a park or walk a dog. If stopped then for some reason, I would bbe in a neighborhood other than my own, without ID. Just got back from travel to southern Cal. Any number of times, I was walking along a beach, scrambling on rocks, or walking around neighborhoods - by myself, with no phone or ID.

My dog just died, but when we used to walk him, I would not bring my wallet along. And my sister and I often go on 2-3 hr bike rides. Often, neither of us will have a phone or ID.

I rarely bring my phone with me if I can avoid it. It is exceedingly rare that I will NEED to reach someone or be reached by someone during a specific portion of a specific day. Of course, I'm not sure how effective a phone is as ID.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:10 AM

Don't go anywhere without -
  • Wallet, and thus my ID/drivers license.
  • Sunglasses (maybe if my Wife and I go out at night, but that's rare, we are homebodies, and live pretty remote)
  • Keys
  • Pocket knife
Old 02-11-2020, 09:12 AM

No, it's illegal here, and I carry my ID and cash in my wallet, which I set next to my keys. Always keep them in the same spot, and you'll never have to constantly look for them (like my mom, who is the one who gave me the advice).
Old 02-11-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Of course, I'm not sure how effective a phone is as ID.
In and of itself, not very. However, if you take a picture of your ID (or at least your health/car insurance cards), it'll go a lot further in proving who you are than nothing.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
No, it's illegal here, and I carry my ID and cash in my wallet, which I set next to my keys.
Are you saying that where you live it is illegal to be out in public without ID?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:29 AM

My license stays in my car, so unless I am driving I don’t carry any ID.

If you aren’t driving you don’t have show ID to police but you do have to tell them your name if they ask.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:35 AM

While there's been a time or two that I forgot my ID at home, I've never purposely gone without it. I actually get nervous those rare times I forget, imagining myself getting pulled over and hauled away. Even just taking a walk through the neighborhood, I have it on me.

I've worked retail, and SO OFTEN would people be writing a check, and not have an ID for me to verify it. Or are using a credit card and don't think for a single second that I might want to make sure whoever owns it wants to spend $300 on a console. I get the odd forgetful moment, totally, but then don't scream at ME because you drove here without your damn ID! Refuse to come back all you want - I'd rather not lose my job because you're a pissant.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:39 AM

My wallet is always in my pocket. Except when I am in Barbados and walking to the beach when I have only the keys to our villa in a zipper pocket in my trunks. But my wife generally leaves her purse at home when we drive to the supermarket. I don't think it would ever occur to her that she might need ID.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post

My dog just died, but when we used to walk him, I would not bring my wallet along. And my sister and I often go on 2-3 hr bike rides. Often, neither of us will have a phone or ID.
Sorry about your dog.

There was a woman here who recently was hit and killed in a crosswalk while walking her dog. She didn't have any ID on her and the medics and police couldn't identify her. They took the dog to a vet, found he was chipped, and learned the woman's identity that way.

So, avoiding being a "John or Jane Doe" is one reason to carry an ID with you or at least have a dog.

I have left the house once or twice in the last year without my wallet. In my other pants or something. There is a moment of panic, and they I realize I don't really need it most days if I"m just going to work and back.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:

AIUI, in most/all states, you're required to present a valid driver's license if you're stopped while operating a motor vehicle. US citizens in other circumstances (e.g. passengers in a car, or pedestrians anywhere else) may be legally required to identify themselves to a police officer upon request, but they're not required to present government-issued identification documents for that purpose. Adult permanent residents in the US are required to carry their green card with them at all times.

I can't find a solid answer on whether foreign tourists in the US (or foreign people here on student/work visas) are required to have their passports with them at all times.

I'm a US citizen, but if I go out without ID it's because I forgot it.
Do you actually have to have your ID physically on you, and could you be fined for not having it, if stopped while driving a car? Assuming you are properly licensed and insured and are able to prove it later, could you still get a fine for not having it? I've never been pulled over without mine, but it's something I've always been curious about. The closest I got was not having an updated insurance card on me when I was pulled over for expired registration, but the cop wasn't phased at all. The info I had was correct and current - just not the card. Never had that happen with a license, though.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:43 AM

Out of the house? All the time. If I'm in my own fields, or an immediate neighbors' fields, or wandering down the dirt road I live on, I almost never have ID on me.

Further than that? I'll drive to a slightly further neighbor's without ID -- it's less than a mile, all on back roads, and my chances of being stopped by the police are almost nonexistent; and the chances, in my situation, that even if I did have to produce a license they'd do anything drastic to me as long as I could produce the license back home are also almost nonexistent.

Any further than those couple of back roads: only if I forget my wallet by accident; which I think I've done once or twice in maybe twenty years.

(enipla, I'm with you on one thing: my pocketknife's always on me, at least whenever I'm dressed.)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turble View Post
If you arenít driving you donít have show ID to police but you do have to tell them your name if they ask.
I feel bad for anyone named Puddentaine who gets asked their name by the police. You just know it won't go well, no matter how often he repeats his name.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

I usually have my wallet (and therefore ID) with me, but not all the time. Sometimes/often when I walk the dog (in my city neighborhood) I don't have my wallet on me.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:50 AM

I frequently leave home without it - even if Iím driving. My wife is horrified by this. I was once pulled over for a missing license plate light, I told the officer I forgot it and gave him my name and address and he looked it up. Satisfied he sent me on my way.

Iím not trying to be a scofflaw, Iím just absent minded sometimes.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
Do you actually have to have your ID physically on you, and could you be fined for not having it, if stopped while driving a car? Assuming you are properly licensed and insured and are able to prove it later, could you still get a fine for not having it? I've never been pulled over without mine, but it's something I've always been curious about. The closest I got was not having an updated insurance card on me when I was pulled over for expired registration, but the cop wasn't phased at all. The info I had was correct and current - just not the card. Never had that happen with a license, though.
Not sure about other states, but here's what Michigan says (according to a third party):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Secretary of State
License not in possession. A driver who was issued a license but was not carrying it while driving can be convicted of a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 90 days in jail, a fine of up to $100, or both. However, the charge can be dismissed if the driver shows a then-valid driverís license to the law enforcement agency prior to the court appearance date.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:05 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I don't take it when I walk my dogs around my neighborhood, but otherwise yes it's always on me.

On occasion when I can't take my full wallet (I don't carry a purse and women's pants don't have big pockets) I take my license, ATM card and a credit card.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:45 AM

I pretty much never have ID on me. I have my phone with a couple of payment cards in the case and that's it. Even when driving. Never had the need for it. (UK based)
Old 02-11-2020, 11:54 AM

Basically I always carry wallet (with ID), keys, phone with me (and usually glasses).

The reason is that an automatic habit leads to fewer mistakes: if I was deciding each time what to take then sometimes I would forget when I actually needed it.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:09 PM

No ID when walking the dog—although he has ID. And very rarely if I'm making a quick trip across town on an errand that doesn't need payment. Also, my wallet with ID is kept in a leather messenger-type bag that sometimes gets left locked in the car when I'm out taking photos or walking down the block to the post office.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:14 PM

I am a large black man living in the US. I always have my ID on me. I bring it when I cut my lawn and when I walk out to get my trashcan from the curb.
I have bought expensive items in the 1,000s with credit/debit card and almost never have I been asked to show ID. This is all in case I have to deal with suspicious police.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:37 PM

If we go for a walk I'll bring my wallet, because I might want to take public transportation back. Theoretically I only need my phone, since my travel pass is on my phone, but I prefer to also have the card.

I speak the local language well enough that I can explain who I am and where I live, so there's no problem there. I think that technically I am supposed to always carry my residence permit and my passport. I don't carry my passport.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:46 PM

If I'm driving I'll have my DL on me.

I'm I'm drinking or buying beer I'll have my DL on me.

If I'm carrying a concealed handgun I'll have my Concealed Handgun License (CHL) on me.

If none of the above apply I will usually not have any ID on me. Exceptions would be if ID was necessary for a transaction.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:49 PM

My DL is in my wallet. If I'm driving I will have my wallet with me. If I'm going in a store to purchase something I will have my wallet with me. If I'm just going on a hike or something my wallet often stays at home or in my car.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I get it can vary between states, but I'm willing to bet most of them have a similar law. I think it's more than fair to offer a period of time where someone can show they have what they're legally supposed to have. I don't think anyone should be punished too hard, if at all, simply for forgetting their ID one day.

When I lived in Nebraska, I was pulled over for expired registration. Totally at fault - I was dumb and had just moved out on my own for the first time. Petty things like registering my car apparently weren't high on my list But the cop was cool - he did write me a ticket, but said if I got the registration taken care of in 10 days or less, I wouldn't get fined. Sure enough, I paid the $25 for my car's registration, and the matter was settled.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
There was a woman here who recently was hit and killed in a crosswalk while walking her dog. She didn't have any ID on her and the medics and police couldn't identify her. They took the dog to a vet, found he was chipped, and learned the woman's identity that way.

So, avoiding being a "John or Jane Doe" is one reason to carry an ID with you or at least have a dog.
Or, cut out the middledog and get yourself chipped.

Most of those Not Always Right stories where someone is being a jerk about showing their ID seem to be cases where someone just feels insulted by being asked for ID, or is being defiant just to be defiant.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:29 PM

Unless a work pass counts, I almost never have a photo ID on me. Driving in London is a pain in the ass, so we only hire a car if we’re going out of town and public transport isn’t a better option. So my drivers license lives with my passport in a drawer at home. I’ll generally carry my wallet with me which has a debit card, credit cards and a couple of other things with my name on it if I’m going someplace. However, if I’m just going for a walk or outside to exercise, I generally don’t bother. Also, at work I keep my wallet in my briefcase. So if I’m away from my desk, which may include a fresh air break, it’s not with me. However, at work I always have my work pass, which has my picture and name, with me as I need to use it to get in and out of the office and between floors.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:32 PM

I'm in the absent-minded camp, plus a side order of "hate carrying a bunch-o-crap with me". Some specific activities, if I know I'm not going to need my wallet, I don't take it because it's the biggest thing in my standard bunch-o-crap list. For instance, if I'm going for a long bike ride I slip twenty bucks and a credit card in the back of my phone case, and call it a day. Other times the wallet just randomly doesn't make the transfer from bag to coat pockets or vice versa when the weather changes. This also happens to my phone and keys quite regularly, but not usually all at the same time.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
Thank you! I get it can vary between states, but I'm willing to bet most of them have a similar law. I think it's more than fair to offer a period of time where someone can show they have what they're legally supposed to have. I don't think anyone should be punished too hard, if at all, simply for forgetting their ID one day.
ISTM laws requiring a person to carry a license while driving are probably behind the times WRT technology. These days, I would expect an officer could use your name and pull up a complete image of your DL, including photo that confirms your identity. Afterall, he's going to check your driving record anyway.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:58 PM

No way. Anything could happen in Chicagoland, believe me.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

All the time. I don’t drive, my only photo iD is either passport or healthcard. The passport is inconvenient and doesn’t fit in a pocket, and I am often out without my wallet, where my healthcard lives. I am also one of those people who will just shove some money or my card into my pocket and go.

Few months back I took the bus into the city, 2hrs away, with just some cash and my card, I was coming back the same evening. But in the city, a new bus protocol was to check your ID matches the name on your ticket, (but no one ever had asked before, ever. In all the years I’ve been taking this bus back and forth!) In the end she quizzed me on how to spell my last name. HaHaHa!

I did think about is as the bus pulled out of the station and realized if I’d been hit by a car when I was there, the ONLY thing that would have identified me WAS the bus ticket. Now I always take it with me just because of this. But that’s just for going out of town.

In town, I am probably more often out without my wallet and ID. List, cash, card, all in my pocket!