Old 02-11-2020, 11:53 AM

Best business book that *isn't* just common sense

I swear, so much of regular business books are just plain common sense. It's not rocket science. People make life and business way more complicated than it has to be. Just work hard, treat everyone with respect, be a professional, be loyal, and you're 90% of the way there.

What books do you think give the inside track? Put in other words, what book sounds like you're hanging out with the author, you got them drunk, and they tell you all the *real* stuff that they're not normally so generous with?
Old 02-11-2020, 12:01 PM

Not an advice book but Bad Blood about the Theranos fraud is very good.

Richard Branson's "Losing my Virginity" is a very good autobiography with good advice
Old 02-11-2020, 03:04 PM

The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. He essentially calls everyone else in his research field an idiot, saying that all their hypotheses and theories only apply to situations that don't matter, and then talks about what he believes does matter. And the amazing thing is he doesn't come across as a crotchety old man who wants the kids to get off his lawn. Comes across as a drunk guy telling you all the real stuff they're not normally so generous with, to steal your phrasing.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. He essentially calls everyone else in his research field an idiot, saying that all their hypotheses and theories only apply to situations that don't matter, and then talks about what he believes does matter. And the amazing thing is he doesn't come across as a crotchety old man who wants the kids to get off his lawn. Comes across as a drunk guy telling you all the real stuff they're not normally so generous with, to steal your phrasing.
That is one controversial book in the finance world, havenít read it in years so I canít really comment. But, if you want some fun, bring it up at happy hour among a bunch of finance people
Old 02-18-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if it counts as a business book, but The Mythical Man Month: Essays on Software Engineering is a classic on leading software projects.

As the author says, it's the Bible of software development, because everybody quotes it, some have read it, and a few live by it.

Key insights:
  • Adding people to a late project, makes it later.
  • When designing a new system, the team will develop a throw-away version first. Whether they intend to, or not.
  • There is an irreducible number of bugs in any system. Attempts to fix those bugs introduces new bugs.
Keep in mind that the author wrote the book based on his experiences with developing the OS/360, which was hugely successful.

Regards,
Shodan

PS - actual advice given me by a former manager, when I told him we weren't going to make the first deadline. "Type faster." I don't know if he had read the book or not.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 AM

I can highly recommend the work of W. Edwards Deming, particularly Out of the Crisis (which contains his famous 14 Points) and The New Economics: For Industry, Government, Education.

Quote:
Deming is best known for his work in Japan after WWII, particularly his work with the leaders of Japanese industry. That work began in July and August 1950, in Tokyo and at the Hakone Convention Center[4], when Deming delivered speeches on what he called "Statistical Product Quality Administration". Many in Japan credit Deming as one of the inspirations for what has become known as the Japanese post-war economic miracle of 1950 to 1960, when Japan rose from the ashes of war on the road to becoming the second-largest economy in the world through processes partially influenced by the ideas Deming taught:
Quote:
Deming made a significant contribution to Japan's reputation for innovative, high-quality products, and for its economic power. He is regarded as having had more impact on Japanese manufacturing and business than any other individual not of Japanese heritage.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-18-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: italics
Old 02-18-2020, 12:50 PM

"Barbarians at the Gate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbar...of_RJR_Nabisco

It's been a few decades since I read it but I have a hunch it would still be compelling.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
Nassim Nicholas Taleb is a controversial figure himself. He has very high opinion of himself and he rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

More here:https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nassim_Nicholas_Taleb