Old 01-26-2020, 09:31 AM

Black climate activist cropped out of photo with Greta Thunberg

The Associated Press publishes a photo of Swedish activist Greta Thunberg with some other young climate activists at Davos.
The picture published showed Greta with four young specimens of fine Aryan youths.
The actual photo included a black Ugandan activist. On the left. Who was cropped out.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vanessa-nakate
This came to light when the activist, Vanessa Nakate, revealed it on social media.

AP has claimed that it was done
purely on composition grounds
since
the building in the background was distracting
Which is a rather weird excuse.
While I like to presume good faith, it’s hard to do so here.
Even if they weren’t actively malevolent, their is some institutional problem if a picture is cropped and they don’t even pause to consider that they are removing the only black person in it.

Were they racist? Does Ms Nakate have a point when she says it symbolizes how non white opinions and activist are dismissed or ignored?
I suspect that the reason it was done is since AP’s mostly western customers would readily identify with a bunch of white kids rather than a black activist.

Last edited by AK84; 01-26-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Were they racist? Does Ms Nakate have a point when she says it symbolizes how non white opinions and activist are dismissed or ignored?
I suspect that the reason it was done is since AP’s mostly western customers would readily identify with a bunch of white kids rather than a black activist.
I think it's just a symmetry thing honestly, the photo is more pleasing to the eyes with her cropped out, but that's just like my opinion man.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:53 AM

Yep. Definitely racism.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I think it's just a symmetry thing honestly, the photo is more pleasing to the eyes with her cropped out, but that's just like my opinion man.
Ok. Why just her?
Old 01-26-2020, 10:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Somewhat more pleasing, yes. But the composition of the photo was so awful that any amount of cropping won't do much good.

Either there were severe restraints on the angle, etc. of the photo, or else whoever took shouldn't be in journalism.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok. Why just her?
The way they are standing, Ms. Nakate is definitely more croppable than the others. The other four are standing closely together and she's just a bit more apart from the rest.

If they were all the same color, would someone crop her out "purely on composition grounds"? I wouldn't rule it out. Therefore I can't rule out that this was done "innocently" (i.e. without racism, though also without sensitivity to racial issues).
Old 01-26-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Either there were severe restraints on the angle, etc. of the photo, or else whoever took shouldn't be in journalism.
Lol, a rather extreme judgment for a single bad angle photo, don't you think?
Old 01-26-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Somewhat more pleasing, yes. But the composition of the photo was so awful that any amount of cropping won't do much good.
I'm not going to argue why she was or wasn't cropped out of the picture, but I'll note that if that picture was cropped just barely over the top of their heads*, the building almost disappears .

Quote:
I didn't watch the video, but are their photog credits? It's possible it wasn't an actual photog that took the picture, just a picture the paper used. It could also have been a somewhat candid shot as they don't all appear to even be looking at the camera.

*Cropped like this.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:

Actually, shouldn't be in photography.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:08 AM

That whole picture is weird. There is something about the focus or lighting that just seems off to me. If I wasn't told otherwise I would think it was photo-shopped with the climate activists cut out of a different picture and pasted onto the background.

It isn't clear whether removing the black activist was done for racist motives, but if not whoever did it clearly wasn't thinking about the optics involved. Unless there is other evidence I am going to file this under Hanlon's Razor. "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence".
Old 01-26-2020, 11:09 AM

Which of the names are recognizable--besides Greta. It's a possibility they included the well-known people and excluded her not because she was black nor because of the composition issue--but simply because she was a nobody.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
It's a possibility they included the well-known people and excluded her not because she was black nor because of the composition issue--but simply because she was a nobody.
The picture at PBS shows them all as peers, the story reads so too. It’s a picture in the same setting maybe a moment later or before.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...iefs-criticism
Old 01-26-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
. "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence".
Sometimes you can ascribe to both : Malice andIncompetence. Just look at today’s politics. I also think malice in the long term leads to incompetence and vice versatility, but that’s another thread.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:52 AM

I totally believe the photo was cropped on compositional grounds. It's just that the "compositional grounds" are "well, these four objects look the same, so they make a nice group. And that object looks different..."

IOW, the black commentators saying 'well this happens all the time to us and we're completely jack of it' had a very valid point. "Compositional grounds" include getting rid of things that are different, unless they're the focus of the picture, and in Western settings it's obviously often going to happen that the most different-looking person in a group will be black/some other non-European
Old 01-26-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
I totally believe the photo was cropped on compositional grounds. It's just that the "compositional grounds" are "well, these four objects look the same, so they make a nice group. And that object looks different..."
I don't know, and probably never will know, and therefore reserve judgment on, the real reason it was done. But I agree that this is one quite possible explanation.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Unless there is other evidence I am going to file this under Hanlon's Razor. "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence".
The conservative principle is "Never ascribe to malice or incompetence that which you can blame on the liberals."
Old 01-26-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am77494 View Post
The picture at PBS shows them all as peers, the story reads so too. It’s a picture in the same setting maybe a moment later or before.

A comment there from one of "the best" Trump people:

Quote:
Mnuchin had a day earlier dismissed Thunberg’s suggestion that governments and companies cut back dramatically on fossil fuels with a condescending barb.

“Is she the chief economist? Who is she? I’m confused,” he said. Then, following a brief pause, he said it was ‘‘a joke.”

‘‘After she goes and studies economics in college, she can come back and explain that to us,” he added.
As it turns out this economist that became a president of the American Economic Association between 2014 and 2015 and is an American economist and Sterling Professor of Economics at Yale University, is known for his work in economic modeling and climate change and won the 2018 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences, already did that and more years ago:

Quote:
The most appropriate place to start when reflecting on Nordhaus’ contributions is at the beginning of his career. He began with an interest in how innovation and technology influences growth, much like his fellow 2018 Nobel laureate Paul Romer, but then recognised that other environmental and resource challenges are equally important and interesting to study.

In the 1970s, there was great concern in both the academic community and popular press about resource scarcity – will we run out of minerals and fuels on which we rely for human wellbeing? Some of his early work sharply points out that as resources become scarce, they become more valuable, leading to further discoveries of the resources, innovation in economising on those resources, and innovation in substituting scarce resources for more plentiful – and less expensive – resources (Nordhaus 1973).

Moreover, this work emphasised that the changes in price would be expected to lead to a smooth path of resource use that allows humans to continue to maintain their wellbeing. The past several decades have largely proven Nordhaus correct, as society today is vastly more resource and energy efficient and still has ample resources at least in the foreseeable future.

But Nordhaus’ early work recognised that while resource scarcity does not present a pressing threat to long-run economic growth, the human impact on the environment provides much greater cause for worry.

In 1974, Nordhaus wrote: “I have performed a rough calculation of the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide… Assuming that 10% of the atmospheric carbon dioxide is absorbed annually (G. Skirrow), the concentration would be expected to rise from 340 ppm [parts per million] in 1970 to 487 ppm in 2030 – a 43% increase. Although this is below the fateful doubling of carbon dioxide concentration, it may well be too close for comfort.”

Nordhaus was prescient – it turns out we are right on track to hit 487 ppm of carbon dioxide in 2030. In two papers (Nordhaus 1975, 1977), he laid the groundwork for what is now an entire field on the economics of climate change.

In these early papers, Nordhaus began with a classic macroeconomic model of long-run growth. This groundbreaking work was the first to include a representation of carbon dioxide concentrations and the climate in such a macroeconomic framework, and to begin analysing how climate change can be mitigated at a the lowest cost possible.

This work was followed up by construction of one of the first, and the most well-known, integrated assessment model of climate change. Models are crucial for understanding the nature of climate change and how to address it because the issue involves physical, chemical and economic relationships that would simply not be possible to grasp fully without a clear framework.

Nordhaus’ first integrated assessment model – the Dynamic Integrated model of Climate and the Economy (DICE) – provides just such a framework. The single model contains all of the links among carbon dioxide concentrations, the climate, economic damages from climate change, and a model of the economy that produces carbon dioxide emissions – closing the loop (Nordhaus 1992).
Quote:
Hundreds of papers are based on the DICE model first published in 1994. The model is so clear that it is taught in courses around the country. In fact, I recall building the model in Excel from scratch as an undergraduate in the late 1990s – a transformative experience that developed intuition about the nature of the climate change issue that simply would not have been possible otherwise. An entire field of economists work with different versions of integrated assessment models of climate change, and I suspect nearly all of them began their careers working with DICE.
https://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/...quences-part-i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhaus
Yes, there are many uncertainties. That does not imply that action should be delayed. If anything, the uncertainties would point to a more forceful policy – one starting sooner rather than later – to slow climate change.

The 16 scientists urge avoiding alarm about climate change. I’m equally concerned by those who allege that we’ll incur economic catastrophes if we take steps to slow climate change. The claim that cap-and-trade legislation or carbon taxes would be ruinous to our societies does not stand up to serious economic analysis. We need to approach the issues with a cool head and respect for sound logic and good science.
As for the issue: nice to see Reuters and PBS not doing the AP "style" of cropping.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 01-26-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:21 PM

WHy crop it at all, weren't all of the subjects standing in the picture the reason for the picture? IF they didn't like it's composition why use that picture. I don't buy their nonsense really.

At a journalism convention where attendees gathered, one white guy, Kevin Dietz, made a casual remark pointing out the chance for a black guy on the end to get cropped out of a group photo. IT made it back to the station and he was fired. I think it was taken out of context since it was an ironic remark made in jest to make a point. imho.
https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...black-reporter
Old 01-26-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
WHy crop it at all, weren't all of the subjects standing in the picture the reason for the picture? IF they didn't like it's composition why use that picture. I don't buy their nonsense really.

At a journalism convention where attendees gathered, one white guy, Kevin Dietz, made a casual remark pointing out the chance for a black guy on the end to get cropped out of a group photo. IT made it back to the station and he was fired. I think it was taken out of context since it was an ironic remark made in jest to make a point. imho.
https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...black-reporter
I completely agree.
It's ridiculous. With all the possibilities to fake photos, and even create situations that aren't real and get it on tape and camera, one would think that a newspaper like theguardian would think again before editing and cropping a simple news-photo. For god's sake, it's just a documentation of five young activists, not an altar-piece.
Journalists and press should be very careful not to destroy that very little confidence we still have in them.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I don't much care about the intent. This is a great example of intent vs. impact. It was a really foolish thing to do, and the photographer should know better. Simple unintentional erasure of people of color isn't condonable. You gotta pay attention, dammit.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:06 PM

I believe it was Associated Press (not The Guardian) which cropped the kid out. Quite unfortunate, glad Vanessa didn't take it quietly.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All About Venice View Post
one would think that a newspaper like theguardian would think again before editing and cropping a simple news-photo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
I believe it was Associated Press (not The Guardian) which cropped the kid out.
Right. The OP linked to a story in The Guardian pointing out how the AP cropped the photo.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I'm not going to argue why she was or wasn't cropped out of the picture, but I'll note that if that picture was cropped just barely over the top of their heads*, the building almost disappears .

I didn't watch the video, but are their photog credits? It's possible it wasn't an actual photog that took the picture, just a picture the paper used. It could also have been a somewhat candid shot as they don't all appear to even be looking at the camera.

*Cropped like this.
That's too rectangular--too wide, it would take up an additional newspaper column. Its also too close-cropped at the top for that type of photo.

The original crop of the photo (sans Ugandan) makes sense aesthetically and perhaps in a rush a photog might submit images they quickly cropped without much thought for anything other than photographic look.

With some photos you need to think at least twice before cropping because the extenuating circumstances are far more important than the aesthetics.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:24 PM

It is just not the same narrative without the young white girl crusading alone against the forces of evil to save the world.

Greta is now an icon and the image should not be diluted by bringing in others. Stick to the script, it’s Greta that we are paying attention to until she has been all used up and discarded like last year’s Pepsi slogan.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am77494 View Post

The photo at the PBS link shows all five young women, but the caption only mentions the four white women(!)

That to me is almost more strange. If the cropped pic (4 people not 5) had only captioned the four I can understand. But in a better photo which clearly shows all five as peers, leaving out one of the captions is not good.

It makes me wonder if the caption was left unchanged from a previously cropped image which was later changed to the more complete photo.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
It is just not the same narrative without the young white girl crusading alone against the forces of evil to save the world.
Well the enviromental movement has a big history of racism. Like Madison Grant.
So that might be a reason
Old 01-27-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84
Well the enviromental movement has a big history of racism. Like Madison Grant.
If you've got to go back to a guy who died in 1937 for your example of racism in "the environmental movement", you're not being as persuasive as you think you are. Pretty much all white Americans in the Jim Crow era were actively racist, and self-described "conservationists" like Grant were no exception.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:52 AM

If Little Miss Flavor of the Month hadn't yelled at a bunch of fat old guys in suits, nobody would give a shit about this picture.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
If Little Miss Flavor of the Month.
Classy.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
If Little Miss Flavor of the Month hadn't yelled at a bunch of fat old guys in suits, nobody would give a shit about this picture.
Not giving a shit about the exclusion and erasure of people of color in activism and reform movements, even if it's not caused by deliberate racist malevolence, is part of the problem. See, for example, this recent article on some young nonwhite environmental activists in the US, or this one about environmental activists in the developing world.

Yeah, and referring to Thunberg as "Little Miss" anything is kind of obnoxiously sexist. If you wouldn't call a 17-year-old sports prodigy "Little Boy", don't call Thunberg "Little Miss".
Old 01-27-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
If you've got to go back to a guy who died in 1937 for your example of racism in "the environmental movement", you're not being as persuasive as you think you are. Pretty much all white Americans in the Jim Crow era were actively racist, and self-described "conservationists" like Grant were no exception.

Ah, of course. I mean its not like there is a big problem with non-White activists being ignored, or that the movement long history of racism still affects it today or that the movement remains mostly white.

And FYI, 17-year old male athletes regularly the "kid" or "boy" or "lad".
Though the posters comment was out of line regardless

Last edited by AK84; 01-27-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:

I mean its not like there is a big problem with non-White activists being ignored, or that the movement long history of racism still affects it today or that the movement remains mostly white.
Of course it's a big problem, as I already acknowledged right there in the post above yours. But it's a predictable part of the big problem of racism and non-white exclusion in society at large, not any kind of special evilness unique to the environmental movement. You were trying to finger the environmental movement as racist without acknowledging that larger context.

Last edited by Kimstu; 01-27-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:42 PM
Mod Rocker

Moderating

Quote:
Threadshitting is a form of trolling. Expressing a view dismissing the issue might be acceptable. Using inflammatory language to do so is out of line.
This is a Warning to avoid such submissions in Great Debates or Politics & Elections.

[ /Moderating ]
Old 01-31-2020, 06:56 PM

She wasn't specifically cropped out of the picture. the version with the 4 girls is cropped below the waste as well so the whole thing can better fill a frame and the subjects are more visible. It's basic visual editing for whatever sized space their trying to fill.

If people think they should have cropped the girl on the right then the remaining image is poorly composed because the girl on the left is standing slightly away from the group.

If they just had some boys to crop out of the picture we wouldn't be in this mess.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
She wasn't specifically cropped out of the picture. the version with the 4 girls is cropped below the waste as well so the whole thing can better fill a frame and the subjects are more visible. It's basic visual editing for whatever sized space their trying to fill.

If people think they should have cropped the girl on the right then the remaining image is poorly composed because the girl on the left is standing slightly away from the group.

If they just had some boys to crop out of the picture we wouldn't be in this mess.
...I'm an experienced editorial photographer who has been commissioned and published by international news agencies. "Basic visual editing" always takes second place to editorial integrity. We know the image wasn't cropped for the sized space it was trying to fill as you posit. They claim it was cropped by the photographer to make the background more visually pleasing. If we believe this claim then the photographer made an editorial decision to remove someone from the photo. Cropping a person out to make the image more visually pleasing was a bad editorial decision made by the photographer that should have been left to the photo editor.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Do you mean that last line seriously, or are you being snarky?

You seem to be saying "Obviously, she wasn't cropped out with malicious intent, but if there had been boys, they certainly would have been". You seem to be accusing people of being too sensitive, too quick to take offense about the case that actually did happen, while simultaneously being upset about a thing that didn't happen, but that you feel sure would have happened, had the whole situation been different.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:16 PM

Manda JO, that seemed like snark to me.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-31-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...I'm an experienced editorial photographer who has been commissioned and published by international news agencies. "Basic visual editing" always takes second place to editorial integrity. We know the image wasn't cropped for the sized space it was trying to fill as you posit. They claim it was cropped by the photographer to make the background more visually pleasing. If we believe this claim then the photographer made an editorial decision to remove someone from the photo. Cropping a person out to make the image more visually pleasing was a bad editorial decision made by the photographer that should have been left to the photo editor.
How do you know it wasn't made by the photo editor? the image was cropped side and bottom. It increases the visibility of the subject matter. It's photo 101 to crop an image so the subject represents a sizeable portion of it.

who is the subject matter in the picture and what percentage of the image should the subject take up?
Old 02-01-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Do you mean that last line seriously, or are you being snarky?

You seem to be saying "Obviously, she wasn't cropped out with malicious intent, but if there had been boys, they certainly would have been". You seem to be accusing people of being too sensitive, too quick to take offense about the case that actually did happen, while simultaneously being upset about a thing that didn't happen, but that you feel sure would have happened, had the whole situation been different.
I seem to be saying there are all manner of ISM's that can be applied. With no boys it's sexism to portray the activists as all girls. You can play that game all day with different classifications.

I'm kinda wondering how the op knows the other four were young specimens of fine Aryan youths.

Last edited by Magiver; 02-01-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:53 AM

Quote:
How do you know it wasn't made by the photo editor?
...because (as I said) of the cite provided by the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
David Ake, the AP’s director of photography, told Buzzfeed UK that, under tight deadline, the photographer “cropped it purely on composition grounds”.

“He thought the building in the background was distracting,” Ake said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vanessa-nakate

Now having said that: something doesn't sound right. A photographer under tight deadlines isn't going to be cropping on composition grounds. And if they did crop for composition: they would send through more than one image and they would send through both the cropped photo and a wider one for context. So I don't know if they are throwing the photographer under the bus or not. But like you I would have thought that this was a decision taken by the photo editor: but apparently it wasn't.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:13 AM

They could have cropped out Vanessa, rotated her ninety degrees, then pasted her over (above) the other girls' heads.

Last edited by kayaker; 02-02-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
who is the subject matter in the picture
That's the question, isn't it?

If the subject matter of the photo is 'a group of young climate activists', then Nakate should have been included. She was clearly part of the group.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How do you know it wasn't made by the photo editor? the image was cropped side and bottom. It increases the visibility of the subject matter. It's photo 101 to crop an image so the subject represents a sizeable portion of it.

who is the subject matter in the picture and what percentage of the image should the subject take up?
Ridiculous; it reduced the visibility of the subject matter by at least 20%.

It's very likely that AP is being truthful; it's also likely that the editor never even decided whether to crop out Vanessa. She is black, and therefore wasn't weighed equally with the white people in the first place.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
That's the question, isn't it?

If the subject matter of the photo is 'a group of young climate activists', then Nakate should have been included. She was clearly part of the group.
Well if I was a photographer I'd assume that the most famous person in the picture, Thunberg was the subject matter, if she wasn't in the picture nobody would have taken it in the first place. Nobody knows who the other people are, I've been reading this thread and I still can't tell you who they are.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Well if I was a photographer I'd assume that the most famous person in the picture, Thunberg was the subject matter, if she wasn't in the picture nobody would have taken it in the first place. Nobody knows who the other people are, I've been reading this thread and I still can't tell you who they are.
...I am an experienced professional photographer and most experienced professional photographer in the world don't make assumptions like this. It isn't our job to make editorial decisions like this: we shoot, we cull, we caption then we deliver. We don't remove context and we certainly shouldn't be cropping people out of a group photo like this. That was a mistake by the photographer in question and the AP have acknowledged the mistake.

If the subject of the editorial assignment was Thunberg then the other people in the photo aren't needed. You would isolate the subject using a tighter lens and it wouldn't surprise me if the photographer did this exactly this as well as the other images that we saw get published.

People don't know who most people are in most photographs taken editorially: which is why accurate captioning is an important skill for photographers who do this sort of work. Yes: the photojournalist has to have a notebook with them, and yes the photojournalist has to find out the names of the people they've photographed. That's how it works. If you can't tell who they are then that's what the captions are for. I suggest you read them: then you will know who they are.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...I am an experienced professional photographer and most experienced professional photographer in the world don't make assumptions like this. It isn't our job to make editorial decisions like this: we shoot, we cull, we caption then we deliver. We don't remove context and we certainly shouldn't be cropping people out of a group photo like this. That was a mistake by the photographer in question and the AP have acknowledged the mistake.

If the subject of the editorial assignment was Thunberg then the other people in the photo aren't needed. You would isolate the subject using a tighter lens and it wouldn't surprise me if the photographer did this exactly this as well as the other images that we saw get published.

People don't know who most people are in most photographs taken editorially: which is why accurate captioning is an important skill for photographers who do this sort of work. Yes: the photojournalist has to have a notebook with them, and yes the photojournalist has to find out the names of the people they've photographed. That's how it works. If you can't tell who they are then that's what the captions are for. I suggest you read them: then you will know who they are.
So is it your contention that the photographer didn't know who Greta Thunberg was? That doesn't seem very likely.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
So is it your contention that the photographer didn't know who Greta Thunberg was?
...what on earth leads you to believe that this was my contention?

Quote:
That doesn't seem very likely.
Something I didn't say doesn't seem very likely? I concur.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
People take pictures of all sorts of other people; not only of the ones that you happen to have heard of. If the photographer wanted a picture only of Thunberg, then yes, Thunberg alone would be the subject of the picture -- and there'd be no reason to have anyone else in it at all. And if Thunberg alone were trying to fight global warming, she'd have no chance of accomplishing anything, and nobody would be paying her attention.

It's pretty clear to me that the point of this picture, if it's got one at all, is that Thunberg has allies, and here, in the picture, are some of them. It seems to me that the fact that her allies are from multiple continents is also important, and shouldn't have been cut out of the picture.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:14 PM

Probably too late to edit: but I expect there are people in the world who have heard of Nakate more than they've heard of Thunberg. It would also be accurate to say that Nakate's got allies and Thunberg is one of them.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:49 PM

Notice the badge is different on the croppee? I thought the excuse would be, "We wanted a picture of Xs and she was a Y." Didn't see the composition argument coming.