Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

It could be legal strategy, or just politics (or certainly both) - the steadier the flow of evidence of the administration's lawlessness and contempt for the Constitution, the harder it will be for the loyalists to deny it.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
It could be legal strategy, or just politics (or certainly both) - the steadier the flow of evidence of the administration's lawlessness and contempt for the Constitution, the harder it will be for the loyalists to deny it.
You underestimate the ability of Trump loyalists to deny anything they want to deny, right down to Trump shooting someone on Fifth Avenue.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwittingAmericans View Post
It was a set-up both ways. WH lawyer was there to invoke blanket immunity or whatever the fuck they asserted. Dems needed them to do that before they could go take the issue to court.
But I thought they wanted them to invoke executive privilege, which I don't think they actually did. Just some nonsense about blanket immunity. If I were the whatever Dem group is responsible, I would vote for immediate contempt with immediate penalties unless they expressly claim executive privilege.

It's lately seeming to me that Congress is the only branch that doesn't hand out punitive measures to people that deliberately thwart it's will and purview. Executive has the justice department, Judicial has contempt that they make use of, Congress is just a lot of sound and fury. I think a few examples need to be made.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was a set-up both ways. WH lawyer was there to invoke blanket immunity or whatever the fuck they asserted. Dems needed them to do that before they could go take the issue to court.
"Absolute immunity," which I learned is an actual thing— but which (in line with some of the recurring themes of this thread) appears to mean roughly the opposite of what they are using it to mean.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
"Absolute immunity," which I learned is an actual thing— but which (in line with some of the recurring themes of this thread) appears to mean roughly the opposite of what they are using it to mean.
Well, yeah, absolute immunity from prosecution is a thing.

But the WH is trying to claim absolute immunity from talking, lol.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Well, yeah, absolute immunity from prosecution is a thing.

But the WH is trying to claim absolute immunity from talking, lol.
Further, the president has absolute immunity from civil prosecution (Nixon v Fitzgerald). Other positions may have qualified immunity. Even if they were using "absolute immunity" correctly, Hope wouldn't qualify.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 PM

The problem is, they haven't asserted executive privilege yet.

So Dems go get "absolute immunity" thrown out in court and get her back in there.

So maybe she goes back and the WH lawyer asserts executive privilege this time. Round 2.

Or worse:

MR. NADLER: Now Ms. Hicks, if you don't mind, would you state the dates you were employed at The White House?
MR. WHATEVER: Ms, Hicks, don't answer. Mr Nadler, as you know, Ms. Hicks has absolut immunity and chooses not not answer that question.
MR. NADLER: What absolute immunity, we got that thrown out last week.
MR WHATEVER: Not absolute, absolut. We dropped the e at the end. She has absolut immunity.
MR. NADLER: Are you fuckin' shittin' me?
MR WHATEVER: No sir.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The problem is, they haven't asserted executive privilege yet.

So Dems go get "absolute immunity" thrown out in court and get her back in there.

So maybe she goes back and the WH lawyer asserts executive privilege this time. Round 2.

Or worse:

MR. NADLER: Now Ms. Hicks, if you don't mind, would you state the dates you were employed at The White House?
MR. WHATEVER: Ms, Hicks, don't answer. Mr Nadler, as you know, Ms. Hicks has absolut immunity and chooses not not answer that question.
MR. NADLER: What absolute immunity, we got that thrown out last week.
MR WHATEVER: Not absolute, absolut. We dropped the e at the end. She has absolut immunity.
MR. NADLER: Are you fuckin' shittin' me?
MR WHATEVER: No sir.
I wouldn't put it past the Trump people to pull b.s. of that caliber, but remember we've already seen some examples of federal judges expressing a lack of appreciation for Trump Administration hijinks. And it's entirely possible to being too cute by half will result in one or more Trump associates facing jail time. Ignoring Congressional subpoenas on specious grounds won't result in mere hand-slaps.

Hicks and her fellow-travelers are taking a real risk by going along with Donald's stonewalling instructions.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I wouldn't put it past the Trump people to pull b.s. of that caliber, but remember we've already seen some examples of federal judges expressing a lack of appreciation for Trump Administration hijinks. And it's entirely possible to being too cute by half will result in one or more Trump associates facing jail time. Ignoring Congressional subpoenas on specious grounds won't result in mere hand-slaps.

Hicks and her fellow-travelers are taking a real risk by going along with Donald's stonewalling instructions.
I don't know...as long as they show up, they're not ignoring the subpoena. I don't think a judge can issue an order that says a witness has to answer every question they're asked, so where does the merry-go-round of non-thing roadblocks end?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 AM

Interesting. This is immediately following the WH lawyer stopping Hicks from talking and citing absolute immunity.

Chairman Nadler. No, no, I asked are you asserting any specific privilege, like executive privilege or anything else, or are you just simply asserting the absolute immunity that Mr. Purpura just announced?

Mr. Trout (Hicks's personal attorney). Mr. Chairman, if I could say. She is not in a position to -- she's not a government employee, and she's not in a position to exercise any privilege, so she is --

Chairman Nadler. So she is not asserting?

Mr. Trout. She is not asserting privilege. It's not her privilege to assert. And so she is simply following the guidance of the White House.

That's what my original take was - the WH can't shut her up, it's her decision. So they can go and contest absolute immunity if they want to, but they shouldn't really have to. If they want to proceed directly against Hope Hicks for refusing to answer, they can.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Not that it's directly germane to this line of inquiry, but if you want to get really, really mad over this Hope Hicks inquiry, check out what's happening to a whistle-blower who revealed evidence of American war crimes and is now refusing a grand jury's attempt to make her testify against her allies. It's a bit fucked.