Old 08-18-2019, 12:08 AM

Anyone watch Bernie Sanders on the Joe Rogan podcast?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2O-iLk1G_ng

Ok I don't think he will get the nomination and I don't think he will win the election. But I do have to say I always thought of Bernie as a joke but watching him in a one-on-one type interview I have a much better opinion of him now. Sure Joe was lobbing him softballs, but I was impressed by how common sense hit outlook was, and how he seemed to have ideas of how to pay for his policies, although I'm not sure if they would work in reality.

I also liked how he framed his ideas from a historical standpoint and how they weren't really new, and how he seemed to seriously support more rights for workers.

Anyone else watch, did it change or reinforce your opinion of the man?
Old 08-18-2019, 03:04 AM

Bernie Sanders is the only candidate who can beat Trump, and the only one who would make things better if he did.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:14 AM
Charter Member

Actually, one has to add Biden, Warren and Harris.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/50739...tic-frank-camp
Quote:
On Thursday, Fox News released the results of a poll conducted on 1,013 registered voters between August 11 - 13. According to the poll, each one of the top four Democratic presidential candidates would defeat President Trump in the 2020 election if it were held today.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:22 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Yeah, Bernie's an interesting man. He's clearly passionate.

But I've met him and shaken his hand. Even in 2016 he was a tired, old man. He just looked physically weak and I'm afraid he'll have trouble selling to the larger country just as McCain did in the debates against Obama.

Let him talk, sure. Let him be seen to move? It becomes more difficult.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:37 AM

I have always been supportive of the majority of his views. What has put me off is how he comes across as angry and belligerent in most public forums. I just don't think the country wants to be lectured by an old man finger wagging at them for 4-8 years.

But I did watch the entire podcast with JR and found Bernie to be much more likable than I have up to that point. I'm fully behind his policies but still don't feel like he has the right temperament to lead the nation. I could see him making an excellent VP to Warren. But that ticket is probably a bridge way too far for this country.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:07 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Yeah, make him SecLabor and watch people pee their pants.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Yeah, Bernie's an interesting man. He's clearly passionate.

But I've met him and shaken his hand. Even in 2016 he was a tired, old man. He just looked physically weak and I'm afraid he'll have trouble selling to the larger country just as McCain did in the debates against Obama.

Let him talk, sure. Let him be seen to move? It becomes more difficult.
When compared to Biden and Trump I don't hear him mispronouncing words, making up words or hear his thoughts trailing off, Bernie sounds sharp and vigorous. He's doing a lot of campaign stops and has a lot of energy for it. I heard Biden needed to slow down because campaigning was getting to be too much for him even when he wasn't doing all that much.

What I liked about the podcast was that it gave Bernie time to explain his policies and he didn't have to talk over other people or Jack Tapper. He sounded calm and relaxed and he was clearly enjoying himself. He has a sense of humor too, he told Joe he would tell everyone if he wins if there really are aliens.

I posted about Bernie's Joe Rogan podcast in the Hee Haw thread, I guess not many people saw it?
Old 08-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Suspended

Any candidate is going to look good if you lob him/her softballs. If and when he gets the nomination and/or the Presidency, those aren't the kind of questions he will need to deal with.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any candidate is going to look good if you lob him/her softballs.
So, what newspapers do you read?
Old 08-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Suspended

Why do you use deodorant when children are starving?

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-20-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Any candidate is going to look good if you lob him/her softballs. If and when he gets the nomination and/or the Presidency, those aren't the kind of questions he will need to deal with.

Regards,
Shodan
Rogan isn't exactly the leading journalist of our time. Some interviews are more conversational than interrogative. It was good to hear Sanders expound at length on subjects which he normally has to encapsulate in 30 seconds or less. More candidates need to be given that opportunity. I prefer that to the stupid debate format with a cheering/live fucking audience like it's an audition for America's Got Talent (WTF Networks?).
Old 08-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Apparently, I need to pay more attention to the audience during debates.