Old 08-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

EXPIRES SEPT 18!!! Charter Member RESUBSCRIPTION offer is back!

Hi! Are you a lapsed Charter Member? Do you wish you were a Charter Member again?

Well bunkie, here's your chance.

From now until midnight Monday September 16 you can resubscribe and become a Charter Member once more.

The price is $30 for this year; after that, regular Charter Member rates apply.

This offer is only open to former Charter Members who have let their membership lapse.

IF YOU TOOK US UP ON THIS OFFER LAST YEAR YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO IT AGAIN THIS YEAR, JUST KEEP YOUR CURRENT CHARTER MEMBERSHIP IN FORCE.

IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL NOTIFICATION FROM THE SYSTEM CHECK YOUR PROFILE TO CONFIRM YOUR EXPIRATION DATE BEFORE YOU SEND US MORE MONEY. (UNLESS YOU JUST WANT TO, THEN BY ALL MEANS GO.)

Go to UserCP.

Click on "Paid Subscriptions" in the left hand panel (It's towards the bottom).

Click on "Charter Member Resubscription" and follow the prompts.

Upon receipt of your purchase I will go in and move you into the Charter Member database.

This is a time limited offer so doittoday!

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm tempted. What's the rate for Charter Member vs plain ol' Member?
Old 08-18-2019, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
I'm tempted. What's the rate for Charter Member vs plain ol' Member?
Half.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 PM
born to be shunned

Any help for a lapsed Russian Orthodox Original Ritualist?

I already know the answer but TubaDiva being the greatest influence in the universe I thought I would ask.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I just did it. Now I wonder if my however many posts from long ago will be added to the total.
Is gloating over being an actual neener neener, and a charter member unseemly?
Old 08-18-2019, 11:07 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

The Charter Member rate is 1 yr $10 / $17.50 for 2 years.

The Member rate is 1 yr $20 / $35 for 2 years.

The Charter Member Resubscription rate is $30, which gets you back in for a year; after that you need to resubscribe at the Charter Rate every year to keep it in force.

We deeply appreciate all our Members who put their money where their mouth is and support the Board.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-18-2019, 11:14 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

I should mention the offer is only good for those who previously held Charter Membership, which was a one-time deal originally offered in 2004.

If you were not previously a Charter Member and you buy this offer you will have an 18 month subscription to The Straight Dope Message Board as a Member.

Thanks again.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-18-2019, 11:27 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Any help for a lapsed Russian Orthodox Original Ritualist?

I already know the answer but TubaDiva being the greatest influence in the universe I thought I would ask.
No more than for anyone else around here, moy dorogoy.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Good try on the suckup, though.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
No more than for anyone else around here, moy dorogoy.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Good try on the suckup, though.
Like I say at work, I mean this in an entirely please-don't-contact-HR-and-report-me sort of way but ----------- that's why I always loved you.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:02 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Member subscriptions on sale too!

It's time we gave a little love to our Members too ... so for the next month all Member registrations are on sale for $15.00 for one year, $27.00 for two years. It's usually $20.00 for one year, $35.00 for two years. So help us and get a bargain too!

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-20-2019, 09:54 AM

I was posting for years before the membership was offered in 2004. I would like to support the board which has given me much pleasure over the years. I did not become a charter member in 2004. Do I have any options?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
It's time we gave a little love to our Members too ... so for the next month all Member registrations are on sale for $15.00 for one year, $27.00 for two years. It's usually $20.00 for one year, $35.00 for two years. So help us and get a bargain too!

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
I added a couple extra years to my sub because of this, thanks.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
I was posting for years before the membership was offered in 2004. I would like to support the board which has given me much pleasure over the years. I did not become a charter member in 2004. Do I have any options?
You have some options here.

1. You can become a subscribing Member. Right now we're having a sale on Member dues so it's a good time to sign up.

2. You can make a one-time payment as a "Friend of Cecil." This is just a plain ol' donation that you can make any time you like as often as you like.

User CP / Paid Subscriptions / Choose from your options.

Let me take this opportunity to thank all of our Teeming Millions -- those who subscribe, those who don't, those who can't, everybody. Your support of the site -- even those who only lurk that might click on the occasional ad (another way you can be supportive, look at the ads/buy from our advertisers), this is all helpful and deeply appreciated. Not to overlook the message board itself, which is all about all the posts you have made. You built this place and you keep the wheels turning and that ain't nothing but a good good thing.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

PS We do have a bit of assistance for people that might need help being/staying subscribing members. You can sponsor someone and buy them a gift membership or you can contribute in general. I have a couple unclaimed memberships available. Send me an email -- TubaDiva@aol.com.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I added a couple extra years to my sub because of this, thanks.
THANK YOU!

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-23-2019, 03:58 PM

Can someone please remind me about the benefits of membership? Where is this documented?
Old 08-23-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
Can someone please remind me about the benefits of membership? Where is this documented?
There is information in the FAQs:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...php?p=21288695

If you do not wish to see advertisements, you may purchase an annual subscription. Subscribers are given the user title "member." For more information about subscriptions, click on the "Subscribe" link in the menu bar at the top of most SDMB pages after you register. A subscription is required if you wish to post a picture in your user profile.

One other advantage not mentioned is that you can go into the Marketplace forum as a subscriber. Iím not sure about any others. The ďno adsĒ Perk is a pretty good one, but for me itís mostly about just knowing youíre helping keep the site alive.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Charter Member rate is 1 yr $10 / $17.50 for 2 years.

The Member rate is 1 yr $20 / $35 for 2 years.

The Charter Member Resubscription rate is $30, which gets you back in for a year; after that you need to resubscribe at the Charter Rate every year to keep it in force.

We deeply appreciate all our Members who put their money where their mouth is and support the Board.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Hmm. Could you be kind enough to link me to the announcement of the membership price changes? My records indicate that I paid $14.95 for a two-year renewal last April.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-26-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Do All the ads stop if I become a charter member?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Re-upped.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike2 View Post
Do All the ads stop if I become a charter member?
It is wonderful! All the ads in my newspaper, on television, on YouTube, on the radio and on billboards-all gone since I became a charter member.
Well worth the cost.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 08-26-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Funny, at least the sarcasm didn't start till after I paid.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Funny, at least the sarcasm didn't start till after I paid.
Thatís how they get ya.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:50 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Hmm. Could you be kind enough to link me to the announcement of the membership price changes? My records indicate that I paid $14.95 for a two-year renewal last April.
The rate for a two year Charter Member renewal went from $14.95 to $17.50 in August of 2018.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-26-2019, 11:54 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Re-upped.
Indeed! And thank you very much!

Now, next year when you go to renew, you'll select -- and pay -- the regular Charter Member rate.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-27-2019, 08:59 AM

I have been considering switching to paying as I approach my 20k th post.

Looking forward at the two year costs (and any farther is too risky, IMHO), the regular membership is a better deal. I don't see the advantage of charter membership except for the reduced cost down the road (assuming the board stays alive that long).

So not a good deal from my perspective.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I've been paying for the board continuously since they started taking payments, and I was a charter member, but somehow I lost my charter membership. I'm not sure why, since as far as I know I have been renewing on time for years. I didn't even realize it was gone until a few days ago.

Did everyone lose them and now have to pay to get them back? Or, I guess it's possible that the timing of one of the payments put me back in 'guest' mode for a day or two. Not sure what happened there, but it makes me leery of paying extra to get that status back.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 08-27-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:23 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I have been considering switching to paying as I approach my 20k th post.

Looking forward at the two year costs (and any farther is too risky, IMHO), the regular membership is a better deal. I don't see the advantage of charter membership except for the reduced cost down the road (assuming the board stays alive that long).

So not a good deal from my perspective.
Well, whatever makes you happy, that's what works for us. We appreciate that people would support us on any level, it's all good.

I agree with you that two years at a time is as far out as you should go. A few have paid extra by accident and some just out of good intentions and gee we really appreciate that, but I don't recommend it. Not that I think we're going anywhere but that's been our policy for a long time and seems sensible.

If you want to make a extra donation to the cause, please use the "Friend of Cecil" category. Any amount you would choose to give is very welcome, and thank you.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-27-2019, 04:45 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I've been paying for the board continuously since they started taking payments, and I was a charter member, but somehow I lost my charter membership. I'm not sure why, since as far as I know I have been renewing on time for years. I didn't even realize it was gone until a few days ago.

Did everyone lose them and now have to pay to get them back? Or, I guess it's possible that the timing of one of the payments put me back in 'guest' mode for a day or two. Not sure what happened there, but it makes me leery of paying extra to get that status back.
Looking at the transaction log, after regaining your Charter Membership in 2009 you let it expire in 2017. You resubscribed one week later, after the Charter Membership expired, which is why you are a Member and not a Charter Member.

The log indicates your last payment was May 2017, where apparently you thought you were buying a two year resubscription. The system shows no further subscription payments since then and you should have been shown as a Guest after May 23 2019.
However, the system still showed you as a Member.

This is clearly in error and you do not currently have a paid subscription in force but since there was an error in the system (you should have received a message in May of 2019 that your subscription was expiring and you were not properly notified), I'm willing to grant you Charter Member status again without the extra payment.

Let me know if that's what you want to do and I will shift things to grant you access to properly resubscribe at the Charter Member level.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-27-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:

If you want to make a extra donation to the cause, please use the "Friend of Cecil" category. Any amount you would choose to give is very welcome, and thank you.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
There was some talk when the "Friend of Cecil" drive started that those who donated would would maybe get some some of trinket / gift / swag / graft for donating at some undetermined time in the future. Since we're coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the FoC kickoff, has there been any progress on this front?

Because I really, really want my "SDMB Junior Mod" coffee mug!
Old 08-27-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looking at the transaction log, after regaining your Charter Membership in 2009 you let it expire in 2017. You resubscribed one week later, after the Charter Membership expired, which is why you are a Member and not a Charter Member.

The log indicates your last payment was May 2017, where apparently you thought you were buying a two year resubscription. The system shows no further subscription payments since then and you should have been shown as a Guest after May 23 2019.
However, the system still showed you as a Member.

This is clearly in error and you do not currently have a paid subscription in force but since there was an error in the system (you should have received a message in May of 2019 that your subscription was expiring and you were not properly notified), I'm willing to grant you Charter Member status again without the extra payment.

Let me know if that's what you want to do and I will shift things to grant you access to properly resubscribe at the Charter Member level.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
I appreciate that. i'm also willing to pay for the months where you accidentally left me a member. I had no idea.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:26 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Naah, you paid now, you're cool. I have adjusted your account as needed.

Thanks for your support and all best.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-27-2019, 06:32 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post
There was some talk when the "Friend of Cecil" drive started that those who donated would would maybe get some some of trinket / gift / swag / graft for donating at some undetermined time in the future. Since we're coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the FoC kickoff, has there been any progress on this front?

Because I really, really want my "SDMB Junior Mod" coffee mug!
Yes, I was hoping to get some expenses out of STM so I could get some swag going and I have not been successful. And unfortunately over this time I have been unable to do this myself for reasons not worth mentioning except that there is usually too much month at the end of the money. The universal truth is that as much as I love you all, romance takes finance.

I do have a little something in mind and I am working on it. Everyone who contributes deserves a little something something; those who give a little more should get a little more something something. Sorry to be so vague but lemme get something happening here for you.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-29-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Alright, so I paid the $30, and my user CP correctly lists me as being a charter member again as of 8/29, but I'm still listed as guest and the other benefits (adds, bigger PM box, etc) did not kick in. Is there something I have to do?
Old 08-29-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Not sure if someone did something or it just took some time to register but it's working now.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:11 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

I have to process these transactions manually. It took me 20 minutes to get to you. Sorry 'bout that.

All should be good now. Thank you for your support of The Straight Dope, it's much appreciated.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 09-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Hey, this is cool! I re-upped.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Well, I did it. In honor of this 20,000th post I pulled a (small) trigger and threw some money in.

Until next time.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Thank you, that's great!

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 09-12-2019, 09:31 PM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

[freelance, vigilante Junior Copyediting] I see in the updated OP title, and in the corresponding Announcement, that the Charter Member resub deadline has been extended to 18 SEP, as opposed to 16 SEP? In the interest of heading off any potential misunderstandings well ahead of time, it might be worthwhile to mention that here in the body of the thread, particularly since AFAICT folks reading this on tapatalk don't get to see the titles ...[/f,vJCing]

But I really just came here to say that the "DOITODAY!" from the Announcement on this topic is the most perfect transcription of the very end of this old NatLamp bit, and as such deserves a hat-tip and a goofy-ass : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa-50ZYvHPw

Last edited by mjmlabs; 09-12-2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: missed a comma first time
Old 09-13-2019, 12:49 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

I did originally mean 16 but what the hey, I'm good with the 18th. Trying to accommodate the procrastinators, I guess.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 09-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Erm, I don't want to be difficult but my thingummy still just says "Member" instead of Charter Member.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Done. Though mine still says "Guest."

Last edited by Crafter_Man; 09-16-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:57 AM

It takes a while to update because TD has to fix it manually.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Someone reboot the TubaDiva robot, I think it got stuck in a firmware update.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Is gifting memberships still unfeasible?