Old 03-28-2019, 06:00 AM

In her own words, she's a hawk, at least on "the war against terrorists". Interesting to see her use very neocon language there.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160829...-will-take-her
Old 03-28-2019, 06:22 AM

Ok. Explain how the actionable differences between a policy of labeling Assad a war criminal and not bombing and not labeling him a war criminal and not bombing.

Then juxtapose Gabbard’s view with other contenders for the nomination.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:41 AM

Yes I look forward to hearing more from the candidates and I will compare their various statements and records as I do every election. Unfortunately, Gabbard is the only one saying anything remotely antiwar. I did applaud Warren as well. There will be no Dennis Kucinich or Ron Paul.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 03-28-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:52 AM

The more I see of Gabbard, the more I think she's trying to carve out a "Trumpy Democrat" space.

No thanks.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Ok. Explain how the actionable differences between a policy of labeling Assad a war criminal and not bombing and not labeling him a war criminal and not bombing.

Then juxtapose Gabbardís view with other contenders for the nomination.
Iím not sure how the answer to the first question isnít self explanatory: in the first case there is no bombing, and in the second case there is bombing. Thatís a huge fucking difference.

I donít think any other Democratic contender denies that Assad has something to answer for. I also donít think any Presidential candidate is proposing to invade Syria.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:14 PM

Gabbard praises Mueller for not finding collusion between Individual 1 and Russia, and calls the Mueller inquiry partisan.
https://news.yahoo.com/tulsi-gabbard...03318063.html?
Old 03-30-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Gabbard praises Mueller for not finding collusion between Individual 1 and Russia, and calls the Mueller inquiry partisan.
I got the impression she was just acknowledging the polarization that exists surrounding the investigation, and she's not wrong. But I probably would have stopped short of saying that an indictment could have led to a civil war - that's just encouraging the crazies.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:37 PM

And once again, for some reason Tulsi sides with Trump and the Republicans, this time lending legitimacy to the Barr memo.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
And once again, for some reason Tulsi sides with Trump and the Republicans, this time lending legitimacy to the Barr memo.
Gabbard feels that the meritless Russian collusion witch hunt has forced Trump to show aggression and take positions against Russia and Assad to prove he has not been compromised not because they are the proper ones to take. She contends we may be closer to nuclear war than we ever have been as a result. Hillary was a pro war candidate. Trump was the peace candidate until the Deep State/ John Bolton/ Bill Krystol/ anti Ilhan Omar people got to him.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:34 PM

Tulsi appears to have a bit of a Jill Stein streak in her - a Bernie-Sis
Old 04-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

US Presidential Candidate Tulsi Gabbard Faces Protest for Ties with Hindutva Fountainhead RSS
Quote:
The flyers explained, "The RSS is a paramilitary in India which was founded in 1925 and grew with inspiration from the Nazis and Italian Fascists. They have created affiliated groups all over the world. Today they rule India through the BJP political party."
The RSS who Tulsi is in bed with were behind the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi and were directly implicated in the 2002 Gujarat riots to massacre Muslims.

Ironically, Tulsi got her Hinduism via ISKCON, which refuses to identify as Hindu (they call their religion "Krishna Consciousness"). But the ISKCON splinter cult her family belongs to has apparently copped to being "Hindu." Regardless, the RSS is a very ugly optic for her.

A Black protester said that the RSS is the "KKK of India."

When she was asked about her RSS affiliation, with specific names and details, she tried to deflect by calling the question "religious bigotry." The questioner pointed out, "I didn't mention any religion. I asked about a paramilitary organization modeled after those of Italian and German fascists. Why is she tarnishing Hinduism by calling questions about RSS money 'bigotry'?"

I'm pleased to see that people are not going to let Tulsi skate when it comes to her unsavory connections.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes I look forward to hearing more from the candidates and I will compare their various statements and records as I do every election. Unfortunately, Gabbard is the only one saying anything remotely antiwar. I did applaud Warren as well. There will be no Dennis Kucinich or Ron Paul.
Mike Gravel is running, sort of.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:32 AM
Charter Member

I'm still puzzled over what possible relevance acne scars could have to a presidential campaign.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Context? Who was talking about acne scars?
Old 04-09-2019, 09:24 AM

I brought it up. I compared Gabbard's two-faces effect to the sort of hypnotic effect you get from Sarah Sanders' and Cory Booker's unfocused eyes. It is an effective speaking tool that, IMHO, helps hold people's attention.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
I brought it up. I compared Gabbard's two-faces effect to the sort of hypnotic effect you get from Sarah Sanders' and Cory Booker's unfocused eyes. It is an effective speaking tool that, IMHO, helps hold people's attention.
Well, obviously opinions about this vary. I've not noticed Gabbard's face being unusual in any way. As I probably said before I think she's attractive, but that's not the same thing.

As for hypnotic effect, effective speaking tools, etc., in the interviews with her I've heard she comes across to me at least as a pretty dull and uncharismatic speaker, and she really doesn't hold my attention at all. On me the "two-face" effect, whatever it may be, doesn't seem to have any effect.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Gabbard has gone stark raving mad on Twitter. Praising Julian Assange.

If she thinks appealing to the fringe who supports Assange and is constantly paranoid about the government, well she won’t be around long. I bet there’s a strong correlation between those who are constantly paranoid about government snooping and not voting.

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/sta...342529024?s=21

Last edited by dalej42; 04-12-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post

If she thinks appealing to the fringe who supports Assange and is constantly paranoid about the government, well she wonít be around long. I bet thereís a strong correlation between those who are constantly paranoid about government snooping and not voting.

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/sta...342529024?s=21
Yep, I remember there was a time when I thought she might be a rising star in the Dem party. Now she's gone full on Jill Stein.

I think her calculation all along has been that she could appeal to a cross section of America, but she's just gone bonkers.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:38 PM

I'm so old that I can remember Tulsi going on Fox News to praise Putin for aggressively bombing rebels in Syria and criticizing Obama for being soft on terrorism

BTW, true-progressive Tulsi is ranked ranked the 162nd most liberal member of the Democratic House caucus. IIRC, her district is tilted something like +16D.

Last edited by bmoak; 04-12-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 04-12-2019, 12:41 PM

Ok so standing up for flawed antiwar journalists is “bonkers” for Dem party faithful now.

This is illustrative.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
I'm so old that I can remember Tulsi going on Fox News to praise Putin for aggressively bombing rebels in Syria and criticizing Obama for being soft on terrorism

BTW, true-progressive Tulsi is ranked ranked the 162nd most liberal member of the Democratic House caucus. IIRC, her district is tilted something like +16D.
Would standing up for arrested journalists make her more or less liberal?
Old 04-12-2019, 01:09 PM

The rankings are done by a politician's actual Congressional voting records, not by what they post on Twitter or say on TV. You, of course, are free to believe that a politician's rhetoric is a more important indicator of their positions than their votes, but others might feel differently.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Ok so standing up for flawed antiwar journalists is ďbonkersĒ for Dem party faithful now.

This is illustrative.
Depends on what their flaws are.

There's a difference their flaw is that they like to eat corned beef on white bread with mayo compared to some other things. Other things might be forgiven.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok so standing up for flawed antiwar journalists is ďbonkersĒ for Dem party faithful now.

This is illustrative.
Well, as opposed to your view, in which an Internet personality who likes to rape fans, hack into computer systems, collude with Russian intelligence operations, and get Trump elected is considered a plus.... yeah.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Depends on what their flaws are.

There's a difference their flaw is that they like to eat corned beef on white bread with mayo compared to some other things. Other things might be forgiven.
Yeah no. The Dems loved Obama who spent a great deal of energy going after whistleblowers with the espionage act. This is becoming a Dem pattern. Sad.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
The rankings are done by a politician's actual Congressional voting records, not by what they post on Twitter or say on TV. You, of course, are free to believe that a politician's rhetoric is a more important indicator of their positions than their votes, but others might feel differently.
I understand what the rankings are based on. I was asking a simple question about your opinion. Is standing up for antiwar journalists and against authoritarian law enforcement liberal or conservative?

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 04-12-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I understand what the rankings are based on. I was asking a simple question about your opinion. Is standing up for antiwar journalists and against authoritarian law enforcement liberal or conservative?
Could you give an example of law enforcement that is not authoritarian?
Old 04-12-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Well, as opposed to your view, in which an Internet personality who likes to rape fans, hack into computer systems, collude with Russian intelligence operations, and get Trump elected is considered a plus.... yeah.
Assange did one of those things, yes.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Could you give an example of law enforcement that is not authoritarian?
Law enforcement directed against aggressors on private property.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Law enforcement directed against aggressors on private property.
So, you're against law enforcement on public property? Or there should be no public property? Government computers aren't private property? Kind of an inscrutable answer there.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
So, you're against law enforcement on public property? Or there should be no public property? Government computers aren't private property? Kind of an inscrutable answer there.
Government canít legitimately hold property any more than the mafia can.

Besides that though, there are countless hackers all over the world, but yet they spend so much energy getting the one who hasnít stolen anything from anyone. Poor priorities at the very least.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Government can’t legitimately hold property any more than the mafia can.

Besides that though, there are countless hackers all over the world, but yet they spend so much energy getting the one who hasn’t stolen anything from anyone. Poor priorities at the very least.
Legitimacy is defined by society, not you, and society has decided government can legitimately hold property. But that aside, you didn't explain your enigmatic answer. Is "non-authoritarian" law enforcement only possible when it includes physical trespassing? Seems to be what you said.

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-12-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Government canít legitimately hold property any more than the mafia can.
Can a corporation own property?
Old 04-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
From link: "A Quinnipiac poll of Democrats likely to seek the 2020 presidential nomination found Gabbard was the choice of less than 1% of voters surveyed."

So she's got that goin' for her.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I can't see Republicans voting for a Hindu.
Why not? Does the name Piyush "Bobby" Jindal ring a bell? Born and raise a Hindu, convert to Catholicism. Though he's still Indian and plenty of good old boys would and still see him as a Hindu. He's a GOP politician. First Indian American governor of Louisiana for 8 years. Also a congressman.

Last edited by SOJA; 04-18-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I think her calculation all along has been that she could appeal to a cross section of America, but she's just gone bonkers.
It's a good thing we have you two models of sanity & reason to set us right.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
It's a good thing we have you two models of sanity & reason to set us right.

I’m certainly sane enough to never consider voting for Gabbard. I doubt she’ll make it past the early summer debates, much less to the Iowa Caucuses.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Analyst Alleges Hindu Nationalists Created Tulsi Gabbard’s Congressional Career

"She announced for Congress in May 2011. By the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012, she was developing strong, strong ties — before she’d won the primary — to Hindutva organizations based in the U.S. which are the U.S. chapters of organizations back in India. This was before Modi came to power and before the BJP, his political party, came to power. It was while they were mobilizing, trying to get him into power in 2014. These organizations found Gabbard, and they latched on to her, and they identified Gabbard as somebody that could be used as a figurehead to help advance their agenda of whitewashing Narendra Modi and his record and whitewashing the BJP and its supremacist agenda of Hindutva. And they did that...

'This is just the tip of the iceberg. There’s a lot more beneath the surface. The RSS and its Hindutva affiliates are the KKK of India. Gabbard has spent the past six years serving as America’s handmaiden of Hindutva. She not only empowers India’s religious extremists, but she’s a danger to the entire free world.'"
Old 04-26-2019, 11:15 AM

Which policies has she forwarded to help these particular Hindus you are afraid of?
Old 04-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Hm. I don't know the RSS, but that sounds pretty dismissive. Would you call the KKK "these particular Christians"?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:23 PM

I just surfed this thread because I have been bingeing on you tube vids to day. And I had Tulsi Gabbard ads pop up 4 times, so I did a search here to see what the community thinks.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:49 AM

I'm well to the left of most members here, and I like many of her views. That being said, I don't think I can overlook her previous anti-gay activism, particularly given that she's an older Millennial/young GenX. I don't even see any lip service towards the LGBT community on her campaign website. She's near the bottom of my list for that alone.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Tulsi Gabbard is no peacenik
Shikha Dalmia
The Week

Quote:
Gabbard purports to be a "dove" when it comes to wars of regime change. But like Trump, she is a self-avowed "hawk" on Islamic terrorism. She repeatedly slammed President Obama for shying away from referring to al-Qaeda and ISIS as "Islamic terrorists." But the more striking similarity between her and Trump is that she too has no qualms about courting dictators if they advance her cause, no matter the consequences for others.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Yes Gabbard is no Dennis Kucinich but next to the probable Dem nominees and past nominees, she could be mistaken for him.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Gabbard throws the Democrats under the bus. "I think it’s fair. I don’t — I don’t support open borders," Gabbard answered. "Without secure borders, we don’t really have a country. And while some of the other Democratic candidates will say, ‘Well, that’s a conservative argument and that’s not really what’s being advocated for.’ If you look at the practical implications of some of the things they’re pushing for, it is essentially open borders."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-open-borders
Old 09-10-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Gabbard throws the Democrats under the bus. "I think itís fair. I donít ó I donít support open borders," Gabbard answered. "Without secure borders, we donít really have a country. And while some of the other Democratic candidates will say, ĎWell, thatís a conservative argument and thatís not really whatís being advocated for.í If you look at the practical implications of some of the things theyíre pushing for, it is essentially open borders."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-open-borders
Sheís only stating the obvious.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
There you have it, Democrats. If you want to get swing voters like octopus, nominate a straight talker like Gabbard.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Which Democrat has called for open borders?
Old 09-11-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Which Democrat has called for open borders?
None of them. But Republicans will come along soon to misstate their positions to make it appear that they have, or that that's what they really want, and people will fall for it.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:04 AM
Charter Member

Russia's candidate

It says "Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii[...] has become a favorite of the sites Moscow used when it interfered in 2016." Sputnik and RT giving her more time than anyone else.

And "The language used to laud Gabbard is reminiscent of Russian media promotion of Jill Stein, the U.S. Green Party candidate for president in 2012 and 2016. Stein received favorable coverage from the same outlets and also benefited from Russian troll accounts."