Old 08-25-2019, 08:07 PM

I hope only one Republican runs against Trump. I don't want the Republican anti-Trump vote to split. But Trump is lucky. He'll treat this like a speed bump.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
The difference is, Walsh is doing what he can. He's backing up his words by running against Trump. Pelosi's actually accused Trump of violating the Constitution, but she's not doing a damned thing about it. So her words are vacuous, and everybody knows it.
That is just as false as your earlier point.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:19 PM

It’s also goalpost moving:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Sounds like he's saying what Dems should be saying, but are by and large too chickenshit to say.

“Saying”, “saying”, “say”. But now it’s not about their words at all?

ETA: I wonder if the GOP will even allow primaries this cycle.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 08-25-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:10 AM

I think the only good this brings is it forces the Trump campaign to pay attention to their own side of the fence rather than having a free hand at attacking the democrats.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:56 AM

Having lived all of my life in the Chicago area I am fully aware of what an idiot Walsh is. However, if a Republican wants to call out Trump for being a child, and unhinged I'll certainly welcome that. Neither of them, however, is fit to hold the office. But let the mud slinging begin!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:58 AM

If Walsh uses Funk #49 as his campaign song, he's got my vote.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:03 AM

I'd bet that the real Joe wouldn't have it!
Old 08-27-2019, 10:59 PM

FWIW, PBS Newshour i-view couple hours ago.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:32 PM
SDSAB

Some other Dem presidential candidates who've blasted Trump in no uncertain terms:

https://www.businessinsider.com/cory...-dayton-2019-8
https://www.newsweek.com/elizabeth-w...mmings-1451458
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...news-town-hall
Old 09-06-2019, 11:01 AM

Trump will certainly have an easier time of it if he can convince states to cancel their primaries. Joe Walsh (not the cool one) is not in favor:
“Trump and his allies and the Republican National Committee are doing whatever they can do to eliminate primaries in certain states and make it very difficult for primary challengers to get on the ballot in a number of states,” said former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.), who recently launched his primary campaign against the president. “It’s wrong, the RNC should be ashamed of itself, and I think it does show that Trump is afraid of a serious primary challenge because he knows his support is very soft.”
“Primary elections are important, competition within parties is good, and we intend to be on the ballot in every single state no matter what the RNC and Trump allies try to do,” Walsh added. “We also intend to loudly call out this undemocratic bull on a regular basis.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...engers-1483126
Old 09-06-2019, 11:08 AM

Question, what would it take to force a debate between Trump and a challenger?
Old 09-06-2019, 03:28 PM

You can’t.

And I agree with Walsh, but I expect them to cancel primaries anyway.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Dunno about forcing, but Trump seems to be eminently coaxable into doing things, either by carrot (buttering him up to do it) or stick (calling him a chicken, loser, etc. if he doesn't do it). Tell him Obama would never debate Joe Walsh, and Trump will leap to do it.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

A thought... If some state Republican parties do cancel their primaries, could that challenge their status with respect to ballot access, state funding of primary elections, and so on?
Old 09-06-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Tell Trump it will get the highest ratings of the year
Old 09-06-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
A thought... If some state Republican parties do cancel their primaries, could that challenge their status with respect to ballot access, state funding of primary elections, and so on?

Hadn’t thought of that angle. Good idea! Although probably only workable in blue or purple states.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
It's state by state laws but generally no.

Canceling primaries is something that both parties have done when there is not a significant challenge to an incumbent. In 2012 New York, Virginia, Connecticut, and Delaware did not hold either Democratic primaries or caucuses.

In 2008 the DNC initially choose to ignore the results in Florida and Michigan by penalizing them all of their delegates for choosing scheduling that violated rules. That significantly suppressed the votes held before the compromise that seated half the delegates. Clinton won both states but her legal challenges failed. Caucuses themselves are problematic if having a primary is required. They suppress the vote and the vote is typically just about selecting representation to party convention processes that actually choose delegates. It's a fine needle to have a law that allows that but invalidates just selecting delegates directly in state conventions.

As much as some have made the possibility of some states canceling GOP primaries out as something unprecedented or necessarily nefarious it's not. There's generally nothing requiring a primary as the means a party uses to select a candidate. Both parties rules allow state parties some leeway to do exactly that. There's precedent for doing that. Ballot access laws are typically based on previous general election results not the procedure a party uses to select their nominee.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 AM

Sanford is in. Be interesting when the Trump party unironically makes a big deal about his extramarital affair.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Well, it was an affair with a foreigner. Sanford's mistress was taking jobs away from hard-working American golddiggers. Trump would never stoop so low as to have an affair with an illegal immigrant!
Old 09-08-2019, 06:29 PM
Suspended

Mark Sanford from SC is going against trump as well...

He lost his election due to trump backing another republican (who was weak) and caused her to lose by wanting to offshore drill our coast. Now we're one of two blue districts in SC.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Sanford is in. Be interesting when the Trump party unironically makes a big deal about his extramarital affair.
Oddly enough hes one of the few republicans who actually has a shred of integrity.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:39 PM

Just to be sure I'm understanding this -- when you say some states may not have a Republican primary, you mean they will have a Republican primary, but not include the Office of POTUS on the ballot, right? Because surely these states have other races, such as US House, for which the GOP wants a primary.

If a state decides not to include the race for POTUS on its ballot, isn't that likely to reduce the number of voters? What impact might that have on the other races?
Old 09-08-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
40% of Iowa Republicans say they hope the President faces a primary challenger next year: https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/11/polit...ump/index.html
Of course they do; they're used to being involved in the process, and drawing national attention to Iowa in a way that never happens outside election years.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Quote:
Well, it was an affair with a foreigner. Sanford's mistress was taking jobs away from hard-working American golddiggers. Trump would never stoop so low as to have an affair with an illegal immigrant!
And Trump would never stoop so low as to have an affair with a man----as I believe Donald's tweet was intended to imply (falsely) that Sanford had done:

Quote:
“When the former Governor of the Great State of South Carolina was reported missing, only to then say he was away hiking on the Appalachian Trail, then was found in Argentina with his Flaming Dancer friend, it sounded like his political career was over. It was. But now take heart, he is back, and running for President of the United States. The Three Stooges, all badly failed candidates, will give it a go!”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...flaming-dancer

My emphasis. I'm not seeing this interpretation in the first few sources I look at---but it seems to me that that's what Trump was hoping for.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

I think it is more likely that Trump was trying to spell "flamenco" and had an autocorrect fail.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine View Post
I think it is more likely that Trump was trying to spell "flamenco" and had an autocorrect fail.
Oh, I agree that some part of his brain was trying to come up with "flamenco." But even if he tried to type it and got 'flaming' instead, why not 'girlfriend' instead of 'friend'?

I could be wrong that Donnie was trying to imply homosexuality, but it also seems possible that that's what he's come up with to make his own affairs "okay" but Sanford's "icky."

Time will tell, I guess.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Although the basis for Melania‘s immigration and naturalization seems a bit flimsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
Just to be sure I'm understanding this -- when you say some states may not have a Republican primary, you mean they will have a Republican primary, but not include the Office of POTUS on the ballot, right? Because surely these states have other races, such as US House, for which the GOP wants a primary.

If a state decides not to include the race for POTUS on its ballot, isn't that likely to reduce the number of voters? What impact might that have on the other races?

Oh yeah, true.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:30 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
...Because surely these states have other races, such as US House, for which the GOP wants a primary....
Yes, and don't call me Shirley.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

It also means that the stated rationalization for cancellation, cost savings, is bullshit.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
It also means that the stated rationalization for cancellation, cost savings, is bullshit.
They're all going to have Dem primaries; it costs almost nothing additional to provide a Republican ballot as well.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:25 PM

Would be interesting to see Charlie Baker mount a primary challenge to Trump. Baker, a Republican, won the gubernatorial election in deep-blue Massachusetts by a crushing margin of 33 percentage points.

(Not that I'm aware of any intent by Baker to do so; just saying it would be interesting. He might be the most electable Republican in the presidential general-election that there could be.)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Would be interesting to see Charlie Baker mount a primary challenge to Trump. Baker, a Republican, won the gubernatorial election in deep-blue Massachusetts by a crushing margin of 33 percentage points.
William Weld was also an extremely popular governor of Massachusetts. Somehow, New England variety Republicanism doesn't seem to appeal Republicans in the rest of the country.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrapine View Post
They're all going to have Dem primaries; it costs almost nothing additional to provide a Republican ballot as well.
Well, it does free up Republicans to cross over and screw with the Democrats.