Old 09-10-2019, 07:51 PM

I don't know whether to be happy or relieved. The number of nuts have been reduced by one, but the replacement might be another nut, only better at kissing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
He probably fired him cause he wouldn't shave that atrocious mustache.
But that was his only good point!

I wish I could grow a mustache like that.

Last edited by Kimera757; 09-10-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
Cue Nelson Muntz laugh:

Ha Ha!

What a dumbass, what a maroon you were, John Bolton, for thinking you could trust or have any real influence on Trump. Glad to see him on his ass.
In 100% agreement on this. When I first heard the news I started laughing out loud with glee. Bolton is war-mongering Islamophobic egomaniac. Getting fired by Trump is a major blow to his ego and I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
So I'm curious. Was Bolton too hawkish for Trump, or not enough?
I suspect the President was drawn to Bolton's tough talk on various Fox shows prior to his appointment. But Trump is a blowhard who talks tough but is really a spineless chickenshit when it comes to actual confrontation. I would bet POTUS started looking for a way to dump Bolton as soon as he realized the nutty war talk was for real.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
That is another good point. Trump campaigned on isolationism, so a desire to avoid wars is consistent with that philosophy.
Trump campaigned on both sides of every issue (except, maybe, The Wall). It's easy to point at something he said on the campaign trail to justify every possible action.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
The CNN coverage I'm seeing right now makes it sound like Trump made a bad decision by firing Bolton.
CNN has never met a warmongerer it didn't like.
They were upset at Trump's ok starting a shooting war over a drone is a bad idea epihany. Which led to the frankly bizzare spectacle of ex-military types on social media and Twitter telling journolists that no going to war is a good thing.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Trump escalated bombing in Iraq and Syria is a savage & criminal way (bombing that was already savage & criminal under Obama) but, in almost 3 years in office, he's started no new wars. Sorry, but that's just a fact. Good riddance to Bolton.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/statu...75272597590020

A bit like saying Lyndon Johnson didn't start new wars?
Old 09-11-2019, 06:20 AM

If someone ism opposed to the ouster of an individual who advocated going to war over a drone, that person is insane.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:25 AM

One theory holds is that he was fired for leaking the nuking hurricanes idea. Glad we won't see his gross mustache any more. Seriously, every bite of food he eats gets brushed by that repulsive piece of fur.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 AM

I came here to mention the same theory BobLibDem just mentioned. Three different high-placed sources confirm that Trump's firing of Bolton was in response to him or his aides leaking Trump's wacky 'Nuke the Hurricane' idea, thereby embarrassing the dotard.

This makes sense. The Trump is no policy geek, and has never fired anyone over a policy difference it's always personal. Trump probably liked having a warmonger in such a high post: needle the libtards and make Trump seem statesmanlike in comparison. But he couldn't tolerate what seemed like personal effrontery.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:57 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

[Bemusement, Apathy & Horror] Man, if someone had told me 25 years ago that today I'd be worried because John Bolton got fired, I'd have laughed in their face. Strange times are these, indeed. [/BAH]
Old 09-11-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutman74 View Post
Sorry ninja'd by Sherrerd. Been drinkin'
Hey, at least you spelled my name right. I'm impressed!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:46 PM

I read some speculation yesterday--it may have been on Slate or Vox--that the main reason Trump hired Bolton in the first place was to make himself look more statesmanlike. You know, "my foreign policy adviser is gung-ho for all kinds of foreign wars, but I've resisted him because I'm more pragmatic!" As a foil, in other words. Interesting thought...
Turn the world around.
--Harry Belafonte (with the Muppets)
Old 09-11-2019, 10:31 PM

Other reports indicate that while "leaking the nuke-the-hurricanes" plan and general Trump-y spotlight-grabbing may have been contributing factors, the last straw was telling Trump to his face that inviting the Taliban to Camp David was a stupid idea.

(Sorry, no link; Patch Tuesday is happening on Wednesday on my PC right now, and this phone is ... not convenient for typing with sausage fingers.)
Old 09-12-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
But that was his only good point!

I wish I could grow a mustache like that.
Are you the Eggman?
Old 09-12-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I came here to mention the same theory BobLibDem just mentioned. Three different high-placed sources confirm that Trump's firing of Bolton was in response to him or his aides leaking Trump's wacky 'Nuke the Hurricane' idea, thereby embarrassing the dotard.
To be fair, nuking a hurricane would be pointless, but at least it would not produce a radioactive hurricane. A hurricane is always dropping rain and sucking up more water from the ocean -- so any radioactive molecules would be rapidly dispersed throughout the ocean.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrapine View Post
To be fair, nuking a hurricane would be pointless, but at least it would not produce a radioactive hurricane. A hurricane is always dropping rain and sucking up more water from the ocean -- so any radioactive molecules would be rapidly dispersed throughout the ocean.
Thank you for the clarification, but I wonder about the prefatory "To be fair." Who is it we need to be fair to?

Peculiar man in oval-shaped office proposes exploding H-bombs for no discernible purpose. "To be fair, some ideas are even worse than this."
Old 09-12-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Love the Huffington Post headline: QUACK HAWK DOWN
Brilliant! I steal it!
Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I see a dual role appointment for Mike Pompeo in the near future.
Well, that didn't take long:
Given the mobster mentality in the Gilded Tower Oval Office, I had to chuckle at the phrasing. But I imagine there would be a completely different list of those the administration would consider double-tapping that way.

Oh, and apologies to FlikTheBlue; I'd somehow missed the NPR cite re: the Taliban/Camp David story back in post #18, and thought I was adding something new last night. Gonna blame the smartphone for the lack of reading comprehension on my part.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmlabs View Post
Given the mobster mentality in the Gilded Tower Oval Office, I had to chuckle at the phrasing. But I imagine there would be a completely different list of those the administration would consider double-tapping that way.
Yeah, they should've used something unambiguous, like "double-teaming."
Old 09-12-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmlabs View Post
Well, that didn't take long:

<snip>
Well, I'd like to claim some marvelous powers of deduction, but it wasn't a hard call. No one else is dumb enough to take the job plus Trump announced the position would be filled "next week." Apparently Trump offered it to someone else (I can't even remember who) and that person turned it down like a scalded cat. Who's left besides Pompeo?

Remember, Pompeo supported Trump's efforts to have "peace negotiations" (what a joke) with the Taliban at Camp David.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure even Pompeo will go for it. He'll probably push another GWB flunky to take the job like Stephen Biegun.

So there ya go. Should be great.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:44 PM

Late in responding, but thank Christ he's out. The world's is appreciably safer now that he can't influence the president. Reading between the lines, it seems as though he had stopped being in that position months ago, which is why he probably found a way to get himself fired.

About the only positive thing I could say about Bolton is that he wasn't the kind of guy who was intimidated by Trump or who was going to back down. He was at least transparent enough about who he was and what worldview he represented that he allowed Trump to ultimately reach the decision that the WH wasn't big enough for both of them. A more calculating adviser might have opted for more stealth and found ways to sabotage diplomatic efforts.

Last edited by asahi; 09-13-2019 at 12:44 PM.