Old 11-29-2018, 01:50 PM

Mornington Crescent

Here's how to play (from Wikipedia, but adapted for us):

"The game consists of each [poster] in turn announcing a…tube station on the London Underground system. The aim is to be the first to announce "Mornington Crescent", a station on the Northern line. Interspersed with the turns is humorous discussion amongst the [posters]…regarding the rules and legality of each move, as well as the strategy the [posters] are using.

Despite appearances, however, there are no rules to the game, and both the naming of stations and the specification of "rules" are based on stream-of-consciousness association and improvisation. Thus the game is intentionally incomprehensible."

Though the game is incomprehensible, you should still have a map of the London Underground to get the names right.

I'll start off with "London City Airport" which is handicap accessible and allows me (according to the 2013 Whitman's Rules and Strategies) to jump ahead two stops.

This puts me at "West Silvertown". Your move...
Old 11-29-2018, 02:17 PM

Och, me wee doch and dorries, I shall never forget, don'tcher know. Watcher, bub, you got a match? Diddle the heath, it's but a bumpy sojourn, I must say and don'tcher know. Was that our stop? No matter, It's Canning Town comin' up I s'pose.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I have never played this game nor visited a heath before so I think I am allowed as a newbie to say Crystal Palace with no loss of standing.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:30 PM

Right so from there the Expedited Lyttelton Gambit blocks the obvious path south, bugger. So Harrow & Wealdstone it is.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:12 PM

Cor, guv'nor, got a penny? Any, any penny? We're all stuck down here, y'see, just like in a Neil Gaiman novel, and there's nout a one of us shall e'er see the light o' day again, don'tcher know? Look at that, there goes Wembley Central.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:08 PM

Well if you are going to invoke the 1922 Committee Regulations then I need to proceed conservatively, damm you ... so, Sudbury Town.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:52 PM

Not conservatively enough, thule, you fell right into the Professor's trap. Now you may not pass Go nor collect £200. I think I'll just slide over to Bow Road.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:38 PM

Yes, but the Prof was being more devious than that; his Bertie Wooster routine was trying to force one of us to nominate Horsted Keynes and lose. But now with the umlatt loosened for the next two turns I'll play Hackney Wick.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Sydenham for two as well.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:22 PM

[cricket clap] Well played Sir![/cricket clap]
So next I’ll apply the 1975 Eunoia provisions for minimum 5 vowels, ignore the bleedingly obvious South Ealing and go Tooting Broadway for 6 (Y not inclusive) and collect my bonus point.

[how ya like dem apples?]
Old 11-30-2018, 07:49 AM

Is it stop #11 already? If I recall correctly, that means we've got to go with a special fare station outside a regular zone: let's go with Watford Junction.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:53 AM

Hmm, somehow I've made my way to the Emirates Royal Docks and now an officious looking gentleman is asking for my letters of transit. It appears that I will be out for the next round in order to sort this out.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:23 AM

Gyaaar, what am I doing back on my way to Canning Town? Who turned this 'ere piece around, anyway? I'm not paying a double fare, not with this ferret sittin' here with a gottle of gin and a sharp razor sittin' next to me. Not 'arf.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I began this turn on Sydenham having left Crystal Palace previously. Today, November 30, is the 82nd anniversary of the The 1936 Crystal Palace Fire that was viewed by thousands from Sydenham Hill. Churchill was there. Churchill was also born on November 30th.

I believe that triples my Historical Events advantage and surely makes Penge West the correct follow-up play. Good luck topping that coup!

Not bad for a beginner, right?
Old 11-30-2018, 01:50 PM

You neglected to give a penny for the Old Guy. All your play belong us now. Back to Eastcote with you.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:25 PM

I didn't want to go so early but the Piccadilly Exclusion Provisions prohibit a more expansive play. So all the way up the end of the line for Cockfosters and I'll cash in my innuendo card.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:21 PM

Damn! I was just about to whip mine out. Sadly (for you), something or other Gladiator somehow stumbled over to the Emirates Royal Docks which means, according to the Piccadilly Exclusion Provisions; revision six (I think you must have referenced revision five) you may only go as far as East India on the DLR line. Of course, this also means you must sit out two turns. And, happily (for me), I can use that time to sneak past and arrive at Westferry.

Last edited by Darkon; 11-30-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
You neglected to give a penny for the Old Guy. All your play belong us now. Back to Eastcote with you.
Curses! Rayners Lane and the penny token to the next player.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
... Interspersed with the turns is humorous discussion amongst the [posters]…regarding the rules and legality of each move, as well as the strategy the [posters] are using.

Despite appearances, however, there are no rules to the game, and both the naming of stations and the specification of "rules" are based on stream-of-consciousness association and improvisation. Thus the game is intentionally incomprehensible."
This view of the rules is what's incomprehensible, sir. Do you laugh when a player gets his rooks forked in a chess game? Is it "humorous" when a football quarterback is sacked for a safety? Entire Master's theses have been written on the rules that you imply are non-existent. Far from being non-existent, there are multiple contradicting sets of rules, so for definiteness I shall assume we are using the 1936 edition of Bethlem Hospital: Recreations for the Patient. Aldwych is a legal stop on the Picadilly tube, but not Down Street or Brompton Road.

As to the current game: I can't remember a game opening with such reckless abandon! Where's the fire? I'll try Wemblay Park, a slow move which may be our last chance to transpose into a more-studied variation.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
I didn't want to go so early but the Piccadilly Exclusion Provisions prohibit a more expansive play. So all the way up the end of the line for Cockfosters and I'll cash in my innuendo card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
Damn! I was just about to whip mine out. Sadly (for you), something or other Gladiator somehow stumbled over to the Emirates Royal Docks which means, according to the Piccadilly Exclusion Provisions; revision six (I think you must have referenced revision five) you may only go as far as East India on the DLR line. Of course, this also means you must sit out two turns. And, happily (for me), I can use that time to sneak past and arrive at Westferry.
If I may kibbitz, I believe in this situation, revision six, only in the event of an unplayed innuendo card, would still have allowed travel on the DLR as far as Mudchute.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:41 AM

Where's the fire?

Wow, you don't often see the Pyromaniacs Gambit played so early.

Burnt Oak
Old 12-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

South Harrow
Old 12-03-2018, 12:21 AM

I'm not sure why South Harrow has stumped players. I realize there are some time-of-day interactions, but my understanding is that SDMB games have used Greenwich Mean Time exclusively ever since Dead Cat lulled North Americans into a false sense of security and pulled off that brilliant McGoohan's Convergence several years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
I'm trying to swallow my ire and pretend it's just good sportsmanship I feel.

I concede the win.

But I must say that this is why Internet-hosted games are regarded as a poor-man's substitute, and why you find so few Internet resources for the game. Has it ever occurred to you, for example, to wonder why we don't have a web-based move calculator? Why we don't have Thornton's, or MC Quarterly, or, hell, even Renaldi's on line?

In a live game, the timing issue that Dead Cat used you pull off a concededly brilliant McGoohan's Convergence would have been obvious to all. There would have been a large clock on the wall, and perhaps even an obvious wait or giveaway glance to inform the competitors of the significance of the hour and minute being equal. Most especially, we would have had all competitors be equally able to assess that because all would have been in the same time zone.

I don't fault Dead Cat -- to the contrary, had I thought of it, I would have played it myself, perhaps starting my setup when Edgware Road and the straddle were played. But I think I'd ask for an agreement, in a future Internet game, that all agree to a single effective time zone for the play.
[my emphasis]

Whacking good play, DC. My bitterness will last only a little longer, I promise.
With GMT agreed and yellow tokens accumulating as the clock clicks, I don't know why players are reluctant to take a small profit and move on the Picadilly line. Are we playing 'Chicken'? Or 'Blind Man's Bluff'?

I'd grab the yellow tokens myself, but I have another gambit in mind. Please, somebody, move to the station I'm thinking of!
Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 AM

Why are we stumped, septimus? Well, maybe it's because for some reason, apparently in this game South Harrow before round six is announced is perfectly allowed. And, unless we've all magically traveled back in time to 1975 before the Alexander Duncan addendum, that makes no sense.

So back to Sadbury until somebody calls for a caping fee.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
... So back to Sadbury until somebody calls for a caping fee.
I hate to be one of these pedants who quibbles over every spelling variation but, despite his spiderly name, I do not think Mr. Laser is attempting a move to Sadbury Close in Somerset, nor to Sudbury in Suffolk. He's making a more pedestrian (and more legal!) move to Sudbury Hill or Sudbury Town on the Picadilly line; and testing to see how many of us still remember the 1951 World Championship when Phineas Throgmorton called "Sadbury Town" sarcastically and forcing the defending champion to forfeit all his purple tokens. (And of course Throgmorton came to rue his sarcasm when he was skewered on the Bakerloo line and forced to call 'Flying Bacon' just 4 moves later.)

Anyway, neither Sudbury Hill nor Sudbury/Sadbury Town was the blunder I was hoping for, so I'll continue to watch passively. I certainly don't want to be in the hot seat when a grisly caping fee is announced!
Old 12-03-2018, 05:39 AM

Caping fee be dammed, what's with the nonchalant menage a trois of Sudbury Town, Sudbury Hill and South Harrow with nary a word of rebuke from the moderator?

What do you guys think you are playing, rending convention with the the Manafort Mandelbrot variation? You must be keenly aware that after the 2016 Reykjavik Resolution this is only possible after a solid session at a sleazy wine bar and if one of the interlocutors is wearing fishnet stockings.

So, by necessity I'll lodge a rescission motion, and play High Street Kensington to get this game back within prevailing international rules.

Last edited by penultima thule; 12-03-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:06 AM

Thank you to friend septimus for drawing my attention to this game, and reminding me of happier times. I am sorry to report that while the old saying about the Embankment being populated by those who failed to draw trumps is undoubtedly true, it seems equally the case that those who employ McGoohan's Convergence are doomed to endure seven years' bad luck - I have not won a game since that illustrious day - nor have I even played one.

Anyway, once more unto the breach, dear friends - obviously I'll go to Goodge Street, which renders all previous non-bolded plays invalid, while doubling the score of those with typos (I'll leave it to others to rule on whether plays with multiple typos score triple, or are turned negative - even the venerable Lord Uffington was rather confused about that matter in the famous Lumley game of 1974).
Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 AM

Happier times indeed! I do remember that 1951 game as it was my first. Though I was naught but an egg in my mum's left ovary at the time, I recall how I bamboozled Throgmorton into making the egregious error of playing his Rumplestiltskin card to move to Kew Gardens. We all had a good laugh till he, using the Darwin Evolution, ended up on Oxford Circus which knocked me, and several others, out of the game. What a move!

Anyway, back to the game at hand: I'll thro in a cople of typos (just in case) and move to Euston Square.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 AM

Fortunate for me, I was able to appeal to the, ahem, generous nature of the officious looking gentleman at the Emirates Royal Docks and was able to move on. I believe that Mannington Estate Axiom is now enabled since players have reached Euston Square and High Street Kensington which will, of course, get me a straight shot to my destination.

Interestingly enough, I find myself at Amersham.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:17 AM

The ostentatious and flamboyant opening you guys have adopted will intimidate any novices who might be tempted to get their feet wet. Fortunately I am now free to play
Baker Street !
This should, hopefully, return the game to a more staid and well-studied line. More importantly, given my present circumstances, I pass Go and collect $200.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:23 AM

Which leaves me no other option than Regent's Park, unfortunately.

You realize that if you keep playing this aggressively you're going to be left without non-linear quadrants in no time, don't you, septimus?
Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 PM

I'll cash in a single red token and skip ahead to play Picadilly Circus. Sorry to be That Guy, but it should be apparent there will be no quick sudden rush to a surprise victory at this point.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

My latest edition was printed well before the Night Tube update and even I could see an easy path, but I can't play any closer than East Putney due to your invocation of the Prison Proximity clause.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Earl's Court. Stand clear of the doors.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:09 PM

Given the way participants are so blithely allowing this game to flow down hill I think there is historical and poetic justification for plotting the Bazalgette Rhumb Line and calling Embankment
Old 12-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Yes! A second Harrow. Now I am guaranteed two of the four and thus the powershare in the quad. I will use it on West Harrow and put a shareblock on the other two. I have two chips so expect to pay that to pass unless you have a double Headstone Manor bypass ticket.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:54 PM

One must applaud the brazen Thatcherite Power grab, but let all other players be clear there's naught pretext or intent of sharing about it. But I'm total confident that the Propinquity Provisions, let alone the Distinguished Old Harrovians on the Monopolies Commission will have you in chokey pretty dam quick if you breach the threshold. Sorry, mate, you are self rogered.
After that, where else could you go but East Finchley.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:32 AM

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait... this is an international board, we can't use the Propinquity Provisions because, in fact, most of the posters here aren't even Australian.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:36 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Propinquity was used in the 1985 Pan-African Championships and the judges allowed it even though no Australians were participating, so precedent would seem to rule in favor. I'd further point out that the original intent behind the Propinquity Provisions was to avoid the controversy that arose at the World Cup in 1930, a sad story I am sure I don't need to go into here.

I'm taking Archway. The logic of the move is, I think, clear, as this is how Mortenson played out his epic win against Hinch, and I'm sure as hell skipping over Highgate.

Last edited by RickJay; 12-04-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:12 AM

Mere mention of Propinquity means we're now surely playing Equinity. I shall reverse stirrups, loosen the martingale and proceed to Elephant & Castle.
Each of you now owes me one pink token if I understand correctly.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:21 AM

I'll use on my first substitution, surrender a yellow token instead and go for the block at Stockwell. The Prison Proxmity Clause is now lifted.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

After giving my token to septimus, I will also pay a yellow to cross the Dollis Brook Viaduct enter the Mill Hill East Station and take my chances on a random transport roll. Baby needs a new pair of shoes, so come on Lady L!
Old 12-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Not having any pink tokens, I will mortgage Old Kent Road and discard three purple tokens for a ruff. Costly, but worth it for making septimus go whistle (the debt will be cancelled altogether if - at any point - there are three consecutive plays on the Circle line).

That said, I am currently stymied from Circle line stations due to a ticket barrier jam, so I will have to play Chalfont and Latimer and hope for the best. I hardly need add that Whigs are now fully operational on the Bakerloo line, since that move completes a hex.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 PM

Well, Dead Cat, I'm impressed. The way you completed the hex is just... and I don't use that word lightly, just masterful. Nobody saw that coming. The hex completion is flawless...

Unless...

Unless some awful, awful player broke your hex by claiming excessive occupancy and moving from East Finchley to Perivale in one cheeky rehashing of the Shrubland Turn from the semi-finals of the 1967 Asian Tournament. As I just did! Ha!
Old 12-04-2018, 02:36 PM

I am duly chagrined by my beginner's blunder, attempting the Varangian Defense while the West Ruislip Branch was open. However recovery may be possible. All my colored tokens add up to just enough to buy my way out of Nib. I'll retighten the martingale and gallop all the way to Blackhorse Lane.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'll retighten the martingale and gallop all the way to Blackhorse Lane.
Blackhorse Lane? Who da, what da hey?
He's done gone and plonked his niblick on tram! He's out in the weeds, and forpulted.

Only one can play that game, and it's not me.
Bethnal Green (Central Line)
Old 12-04-2018, 03:48 PM

Harumph. Bank, for 20 nuggets (claiming the student discount).
Old 12-05-2018, 12:36 AM

And for the win, Mor... Morden Road? How in hell did I end up out here? Did someone lift the Prison Proximity Clause? Jeez, I'm never going to live this down. Stop laughing and play damn it!
Old 12-05-2018, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
Harumph. Bank, for 20 nuggets (claiming the student discount).
That only leaves thirteen for me. Arrgh. This is murder. Of course. Thirteen at Dinner. The Mystery Guild footnote ruling of 1933 sends me to Edgware.

And I started out so well.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:30 AM

Wait. I think Darkon forgot to mention if we're using Quintessential or Roger's Classic Rules for the extra events. I need to know, because in the first case. I'm moving to Leytonstone, but in the second, I'm obviously skipping the next two turns.