View Poll Results: Will Trump win in 2020?
Yes 135 48.21%
No 145 51.79%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2019, 12:39 PM

I was hoping it was leporiphobia. Fear of bunnies. What else is coming in March besides the Easter Bunny?
Old 08-20-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Oh, nothing. Scaramooch is promoting his book and is merely making waves. I don't think he could make the case for March, either.
Mooch's prediction concerning March would only make sense if there were a significant primary challenge to Trump. Super Tuesday in 2020 is March 3. Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Virginia will all hold their presidential primaries on that date.

But that is unlikely to happen. I am not sure that Trump's vaunted base is big enough to win him a second term, but it is damned sure big enough to win Republican primaries.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
I was hoping it was leporiphobia. Fear of bunnies. What else is coming in March besides the Easter Bunny?
(April 12th, 2020).
Old 08-20-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
(April 12th, 2020).
See, I'll let you in on a little secret, okay?

Just because the big day may or may not be in April, the Easter Bunny gets started early.

He is creeping around, doing his thing.

Honest to God documentary on The REAL EASTER BUNNY
Old 09-04-2019, 08:47 AM

The "need for chaos" drives thump supporters.

The Trump Voters Whose ‘Need for Chaos’ Obliterates Everything Else
Political nihilism is one of the president’s strongest weapons.
Quote:
Over the four years during which he has dominated American political life, nearly three of them as president, Donald Trump has set a match again and again to chaos-inducing issues like racial hostility, authoritarianism and white identity politics.

Last week, at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, the winner of the best paper award in the Political Psychology division was “A ‘Need for Chaos’ and the Sharing of Hostile Political Rumors in Advanced Democracies.”

The paper, which the award panel commended for its “ambitious scope, rigor, and creativity,” is the work of Michael Bang Petersen* and Mathias Osmundsen, both political scientists at Aarhus University in Denmark, and Kevin Arceneaux, a political scientist at Temple.

It argues that a segment of the American electorate that was once peripheral is drawn to “chaos incitement” and that this segment has gained decisive influence through the rise of social media.

“The rise of social media provides the public with unprecedented power to craft and share new information with each other,” they write. In the political arena, this technological transformation allows the transmission of a type of information that portrays “political candidates or groups negatively” and has “a low evidential basis.”** The “new information” transmitted on social media includes “conspiracy theories, fake news, discussions of political scandals and negative campaigns.”

The circulation of this type of information (which the authors label “hostile political rumors”) has been “linked to large-scale political outcomes within recent years such as the 2016 U.S. presidential election.”

The authors describe “chaos incitement” as a “strategy of last resort by marginalized status-seekers,” willing to adopt disruptive tactics. Trump, in turn, has consistently sought to strengthen the perception that America is in chaos, a perception that has enhanced his support while seeming to reinforce his claim that his predecessors, especially President Barack Obama, were failures.

Petersen, Osmundsen and Arceneaux find that those who meet their definition of having a “need for chaos” express that need by willingly spreading disinformation. Their goal is not to advance their own ideology but to undermine political elites, left and right, and to “mobilize others against politicians in general.” These disrupters do not “share rumors because they believe them to be true. For the core group, hostile political rumors are simply a tool to create havoc.”

While Trump’s focus on disorder and chaos worked to his advantage during the 2016 campaign, there is no guarantee that he will benefit from it when he is an incumbent seeking re-election.

As the 2018 election demonstrated, Trump’s personally chaotic approach to governance, his record of undermining relations with allies and strengthening ties to autocrats; his use of trade policy to heighten market insecurity; his aggression, his recklessness, his incessant lying; and his sneering contemptuous, bullying style, together worked against him and the Republican Party.

The phrase “like to see the democratic system go down” is chilling — and raises the question: How worried should we be about a fundamental threat to democracy from the apparently large numbers of Americans who embrace chaos as a way of expressing their discontent? Might Trump and his loyal supporters seek to bring down the system if he is defeated in 2020? What about later, if the damage he has inflicted on our customs and norms festers, eroding the invisible structures that underpin everything that actually makes America great?

A political leader who thrives on chaos, relishes disorder and governs on the principle of narcissistic self-interest is virtually certain to find defeat intolerable.
My bold.

This is a really long article, which I have not done justice to with my edits.

It supports what we've said all along: there is no strategy behind the president's so-called "policies." "Drain the swamp" in essence means "bring down the whole shootin' match!" (excuse the expression). It's the message of destruction that appeals to his base, not the promise that he is going to make life good for them. So when he doesn't deliver on The Good Life, that's okay, as long as the libruls are in tears at the end of it. He says he's never heard of a Category 5 storm?? HE IS a Category 5 storm. Destruction for all in his path as he blows back to where he came from, untouched and unchanged.

*Michael Bang Peterson-- is that the BEST researcher's name you've ever heard? He should just start writing it "Michael ! Peterson."

**“a low evidential basis” That's Scholar Talk for LIES.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 09-04-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Oh, nothing. Scaramooch is promoting his book and is merely making waves. I don't think he could make the case for March, either.
Mooch is a dick but maybe he's on to something. It is possible that the recession arrives in late 2019 or early 2020. Farmers and factory workers might be sick of taking a bullet for the madman's stupidity. Polls may show Biden on his way to a landslide. With that in his face, Donald may prefer resignation to a humiliating defeat. He may come up with butt spurs that prevent him from sitting in the Oval Office or say he needs to devote full time to supervising Tiffany's diet. We can always hope.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
What is the technical term for someone who has a fear of people who have a fear of bunnies? They scare me, and I want to stay away from them!

Oh, and no, I don't think he will.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I will say, the signs of his growing decline can be seen in this comparison between 2015 and 2019 Dotard:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...433230349?s=19
Old 09-04-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I will say, the signs of his growing decline can be seen in this comparison between 2015 and 2019 Dotard:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...433230349?s=19
WHOA!! That is scary. The difference in his delivery, tone, and just ease in talking is shocking.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:48 PM

By picking Hillary Clinton, the Democrats (National Committee or primary voters - you decide) chose one of only two people who could possibly lose to Trump. If Biden gets the nomination then you'll see who the second is.

-Richard Hariss
Old 09-04-2019, 02:34 PM

You mean the guy who is polling better than any other Democrat?
Old 09-04-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
By picking Hillary Clinton, the Democrats (National Committee or primary voters - you decide) chose one of only two people who could possibly lose to Trump. If Biden gets the nomination then you'll see who the second is.
No, there's at least two others - Warren and Sanders.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
Which is exactly what the Kremlin and the GOP wants us to believe.

We now know why Clinton lost and those mistakes wont and cant be repeated.

Many people are now aware of kremlin dis-information and Fake news, and Facebook, etc have been taking steps to stop it also.

Also, there wont be any Comey Memo for Biden.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post

I love how you wave away the top three candidates.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan
Oh and of course Beto and Booker and Pete and Julian and Ryan and Bullock can't win either. And there's no way Obama is gonna beat war hero John McCain.

Bottom line: no one's electable until they are. Often, there's just an unpredictable something on the campaign trail that puts someone over the top, regardless of what the "common sense" or their resume says.

I don't think most of these current candidates are unelectable against Trump*, and I say this as someone who, up until about a month ago, was convinced only a moderate white male who would appeal to blue collar white males and their families in the Industrial Midwest could win. Now I'm open to almost anything. I think almost any one of these candidates has potential to win, as long as they don't ignore the people Hillary ignored in 2016 (blue collar white males and their families in the Industrial Midwest).

*Except Marianne Williamson. She's a joke candidate. Andrew Yang's not much better.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Oh and of course Beto and Booker and Pete and Julian and Ryan and Bullock can't win either.
I would imagine most of those can. They don't have the decades of baggage that the others have and, related to that, aren't far too old for the job.

Since Kennedy, all Democratic Presidents (except Johnson, who wasn't elected for his first term) were relatively young, charismatic and from outside the party machine - or at least appeared that way. With the arguable exception of Carter in 1980, that can't be said of any Democratic losers. There's a pattern here.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:44 PM

Random internet person says certain candidates can't win! Film at 11!
Old 09-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Random internet person says certain candidates can't win! Film at 11!
That was a constructive comment. Care to say what I've missed in the pattern I've seen over the past several decades?
Old 09-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would imagine most of those can. They don't have the decades of baggage that the others have and, related to that, aren't far too old for the job.
But you see, in order not to get Swiftboated- baggage is necessary.

But please keep this up, you are making trump very happy indeed.

Last edited by DrDeth; 09-04-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That was a constructive comment....
Not in the least. It was purely 100% negative.

How about who you support and why?
Old 09-04-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
That was a constructive comment. Care to say what I've missed in the pattern I've seen over the past several decades?
Such patterns are essentially meaningless when the sample size is in the single digits. All the Democratic candidate needs to do to win in is as good as Hillary plus a tiny bit more in 3 states. Maybe some of the candidates can or can't do that, but there's no way to know right now... any such prediction is just a wild guess. Until Nate Silver puts his model out, we just don't have any idea.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
But please keep this up, you are making trump very happy indeed.
Yes, obviously he cares what an effectively neutral observer thinks.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post

Bottom line: no one's electable until they are. Often, there's just an unpredictable something on the campaign trail that puts someone over the top, regardless of what the "common sense" or their resume says.
I would put it somewhat differently. When both parties nominate a person who is unelectable, one of them will win anyway.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:26 PM

Trump's tariff war has hurt farmers, but according to a report from Reuters, hope that the farmers will turn against him at the ballot-box may be misplaced:

Quote:
Many farmers are angry, and some are directing their anger not at the Republican president, but at Washington’s bureaucracy.
Instead of directing their anger at Trump, dozens of farmers interviewed by Reuters blasted the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and other Washington institutions they believe are thwarting his true agenda. Unsubstantiated conspiracy theories involving USDA staff are circulating in farm country and gaining traction online....

Farmers are struggling with how to emotionally process their pain from the Trump administration’s policies, and anger at the USDA may be a coping mechanism, said Ted Matthews, a Minnesota psychologist who has spent 30 years counseling farmers and rural residents across the Midwest.

“The question I hear from farmers who voted for (Trump) is, ‘We believed him when he said he would help make the farm economy better, that we could save our farms. Now, who do we blame?’” Matthews said.

Many farmers told Reuters they intend to support Trump again in his re-election bid in 2020.

“It’s much easier to be angry at a faceless Washington bureaucracy than at the man you voted for,” said Jere Solvie, 69, grain and hog farmer from west-central Minnesota who voted for Trump and still supports him.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Enjoying your shit sandwiches, fellas? Eat up, don't be shy!
Old 09-10-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Enjoying your shit sandwiches, fellas? Eat up, don't be shy!
"This sandwich tastes like shit!"

"Maybe blame the guy who made it and sold it to you?"

"Nah. I'm going to blame "the government" And buy another sandwich from the same guy."
Old 09-10-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT on August 6th, 2k19 View Post
So, I'm going to say something stupid, something crazy, something that you'll want to bookmark and throw back at me in 15, 17 months or so as I'm possibly wrong, and can't be proven even if I'm correct.

But still going to say it anyway.

I think yesterday, Monday, August 5th 2019, is the day America decided "we can't re-elect this chump."

I heard it at home: "Toledo?" I heard it at work: "how's the Dow?" I heard it on the radio: "stop blaming video games". I read it in the paper: "China ag restrictions to hit TX hard". I hear it while shopping: "I'm nervous."

All this was yesterday. None of it the SDMB. None of it Twitter. Out of people's mouths.

And then, on the feed, there is this where the adults are coming out saying the future's so dark we gotta take our shades off:

It's Larry Summer, former Treasury Sec, saying:

We may well be at the most dangerous financial moment since the 2009 Financial Crisis with current developments between the US and China.

And then Fitch puts a very bearish signal on oil prices: https://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_pri...59492-article/

There's a dawning understanding that the Brexit Bill is coming due soon and nobody knows how it's going to get paid: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ders-warn.html

Oh, China devalued its currency, leaving Munchkin to call them a currency manipulator.

https://twitter.com/DTR_Markets/stat...133664256?s=19

In earlier days this would have been a serious accusation with tons of paperwork being filed, nowadays his aides are likely having to scramble because of this bombshell. Or not, because it doesn't matter because almost everyone in this admin is Michael Scott. But I keep hearing the same drumbeat... Recession2020... recession2020... recession2020(or21!)... and we have Donald Trump still President.

And... yesterday, I think... America gave up on this guy. Oh, he might still win - the field is uneven and the game is being cooked - but it won't be a popular victory in any sense of the word.
I love replying to myself.

Trumps approval rating drops a whopping 6 points in a single month.

Quote:
Six in 10 Americans say a recession is likely in the next year and as many are concerned about higher prices because of the trade war with China, helping to knock 6 points off President Donald Trump’s job approval rating in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll.

Trump fell from a career-high 44% approval in July to 38% now, a point off his career average, with 56% disapproving. His average rating since taking office remains the lowest on record for any modern president at a comparable point in his term, and he is the first never to have achieved majority approval.

Ratings of the U.S. economy overall, 56% positive, are down from 65% last fall in this poll, produced for ABC by Langer Research Associates. Most ominously, 60% see a recession as very or somewhat likely in the next year. That’s within sight of the 69% who said so in November 2007, in advance of the Great Recession.

In another measure, Trump gets far more criticism than credit for his economic stewardship. Americans by nearly a 3-1 margin, 43-16%, say his trade and economic policies have increased rather than decreased the chance of a recession in the next year.

Economic attitudes include a high degree of partisanship. Ninety% of Republicans rate the economy positively, compared with 52% of independents and 33% of Democrats. One in three Republicans sees a recession as very or somewhat likely in the next year; that rises to 60% of independents and 83% of Democrats.

That said, looking just at Republicans and Republican-leaning independents – “leaned Republicans” – shows the risk that negative economic attitudes pose to Trump. His approval rating is 58% among leaned Republicans who are concerned that the trade dispute with China will raise the price of things they buy, compared with 90% among those who are less worried about that outcome. There’s a similar gap among leaned Republicans based on whether or not they think a recession is more or less likely in the next year.

A statistical analysis called regression backs this result. Controlling for demographics, partisanship and political ideology, seeing a recession as more likely independently predicts lower approval for Trump, as do both being concerned about paying more because of the trade dispute with China and holding more negative views of the economy overall. Indeed, each of these alone, in its respective equation, is the single strongest predictor of Trump’s approval rating – more so than the customary prime factors in presidential approval, partisanship, ideology and race or ethnicity.

Two other shifts this month make Trump appear increasingly isolated in a core support group, white men who don’t have a college degree. They give him 69% approval. But he’s lost 12 points among non-college white women, to 42%; and Trump is down 15 points among college-educated white men, to 34%, a new low. They’re now as critical of the president as are college-educated white women.

Last edited by JohnT; 09-10-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
"This sandwich tastes like shit!"

"Maybe blame the guy who made it and sold it to you?"

"Nah. I'm going to blame "the government" And buy another sandwich from the same guy."
Let us not forget that both shit and sandwiches existed under the Obama and Clinton administrations.