View Poll Results: If the primary were today with these options, who of each pair do you vote for?
Elizabeth Warren 22 47.83%
Kamala Harris 17 36.96%
Abstain 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Democratic World Cup, Finals

This is the finals of our Democratic Primary World Cup tournament. Everyone is invited to vote in the poll. Feel free to add comments about why you chose one of these candidates over the other one.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 AM

I don't see a poll.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM

There it is! Tough choice, since I like both candidates. I went with Harris, but it's very close for me.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:50 AM

If there is no winner, will they go to extra time and then penalty kicks?
Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I like Warren more, but I think Harris is very likely more electable and my own bias is usually towards making the pragmatic choice over the the idealistic one. *shrug*

I voted Warren here for personal preference. In an actual vote it would probably swing the other way, depending on how the campaign was going of course.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 06-20-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Now that the dust has settled from the Mueller report, Warren has become my favorite. Whether I like it or not, Donald Trump is my president and his presidency is legitimate. Now that I have come to terms with that, getting a non-Republican in by 2021 is no longer of cardinal importance to me. Warren's gone way out there on a few things like student loan debt and I don't like her fiery pleas for impeachment, but the Democrats are in such an unenviable position with that anyway. We can withstand four more years of Trump if the voters are too misguided and possibly sexist to elect her over him. Harris, if the nominee, might face quite a bit of sexism in her own right if enough people think she slept her way to the top.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:02 PM

Harris, mainly for being young(ish), but I'd be quite happy with Warren as well.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Harris, easy choice.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Harris, if the nominee, might face quite a bit of sexism in her own right if enough people think she slept her way to the top.
She's held elected office since 2004. How do you sleep your way into winning elections?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
She's held elected office since 2004. How do you sleep your way into winning elections?
Of course I'm not saying anyone thinks she wins elections that way. While it's highly unlikely this will be something I care about (nor have I read about it), what is being said about how she got into political office in the first place and what inferences might some draw from that?
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...d-willie-brown
Old 06-20-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Of course I'm not saying anyone thinks she wins elections that way. While it's highly unlikely this will be something I care about (nor have I read about it), what is being said about how she got into political office in the first place and what inferences might some draw from that?
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...d-willie-brown
It's not unusual for friends or mentors to help a protégé get a job, but of course the haters and liars will try to make this about dirty sex.

Off-topic question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Examiner
The [1994] position paid over $70,000 per year, $120,700 in current money,
The headline from Washington Liar is about a "$120,000 patronage job," though their article admits it was $70,000. Is this sort of shortcut practiced by reputable newspapers?
Old 06-20-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
There it is! Tough choice, since I like both candidates. I went with Harris, but it's very close for me.
This.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Covfefe, Trump is my President, too, and I like it not at all, and that's why I want to legitimately get him out of power as soon as possible. I'm not sure how Mueller saying that impeachment is the proper process for dealing with Trump somehow makes him more tolerable.

On the poll, at this point, I really want to see hard data on electability. What do the head-to-head polls say for each, with what margins of error?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Covfefe, Trump is my President, too, and I like it not at all, and that's why I want to legitimately get him out of power as soon as possible. I'm not sure how Mueller saying that impeachment is the proper process for dealing with Trump somehow makes him more tolerable.

On the poll, at this point, I really want to see hard data on electability. What do the head-to-head polls say for each, with what margins of error?
Here's the Real Clear Politics polling page on the current Democratic candidates. At this moment the polling averages are:
Biden 31.9%
Sanders 15.0 %
Warren 11.9%
Buttigieg 7.1%
Harris 7.1%

Last edited by galen ubal; 06-20-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
And since Thing Fish hasn't shown up yet, here's the polls showing the head to heads. On the first page of polls on a quick glance, Warren is either leading or even with Harris in beating Trump.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
The idea gets brought up from time to time that Trump is symptomatic of deeper problems and I never could wrap my head around more than a sliver of that (or come to terms that Trump is even president) until recently and now it's almost all I see on most fronts. It's like we're in a Dostoevsky novel where most of the characters are trying to manipulate one another. Maybe the degree of this truly happening is not atypical, in any case it's extremely overt what little value words have right now, and a lot of what passes for news is deja vu.

I'm no longer burdened with thinking this has to make sense, therefore, cognizant as I am of some dangers among the overall incompetence like Bolton and McConnell, a highly intelligent policy wonk like Warren puts me at ease. I no longer worry my instincts have told me she is perceived as inauthentic or hypocritically sanctimonious by voters who matter or that the push for impeachment could backfire.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
If there is no winner, will they go to extra time and then penalty kicks?
Sudden death.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penultima thule View Post
Sudden death.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Heffalump and Roo, that's what I was looking for. But it looks like the data are still thin and not very definitive. Warren's small advantage might just be from name recognition, at this point. So I'll continue to hold off on my pick for now.