Old 07-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
Hadn't thought about the "she's not really black" thing in relationship to this... Interesting. I can't think many black voters were buying that, any more than they did with Obama, but I can see this as an aspect of the political considerations.
I'm wondering if any of the polling organizations have questions that would touch on the effects of the effort; maybe something about 'authenticity' or such, before and after. (I don't see any specifics online.)

But at any rate, the people rolling out the 'not black enough' campaign certainly thought it had a good chance of being effective.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:06 AM

It would be hard to parse out what was the result of the effort versus what is the result of her behaving in ways that come off as inauthentic. And I go back to HRC here - I think she was authentic but she very often gave the impression that she was not.

Reference has been made to hit jobs attempted on Obama. There is a huge bunch of difference between how Obama handled identity issues and how Harris is using hers.

There's this wonderful 2016 interview of Obama by Ta-Nahisi Coates in The Atlantic. He always very clearly presented himself authentically, and has great section in there with Coates asking: "Do you recall the first time you were aware of folks saying, 'Barack, you’re not really black'?" and the follow up, after he said not socially, never happened, but that it did as tactics against what he was trying to do politically, of "Were you hurt, though? Personally hurt? Did it bother you on any level?"
Quote:
Obama: Again, it didn’t. Because of the experiences I had had in the neighborhoods, and communities, and with regular folks. Because that’s not how regular black folks think. They’re not sort of measuring on a day-to-day basis, Okay, is what you’re doing a white thing, or is it a black thing? Folks weren’t doing stuff like that. And in fact, among working-class black folks, you doing things that weren’t typical oftentimes was a source of pride. So I remember my first job out of college was working for this business magazine—subscription magazine—and I was the only African American there who wasn’t a delivery man or some tech-support guy. Most of the African Americans in the office were secretaries and, you know, they were proud that I was walking in there and working. So I think that gave me a base and a sense of confidence. So if somebody was playing a game later on, I know that Well, they’re not speaking for, quote-unquote, “the authentic black experiences,” because I live with folks who are at least as authentic as you. Sometimes it’s like these rappers who grew up in the suburbs and suddenly they’re all—

Coates: Gangsta.

Obama: Gangsta. It’s like, “Come on, man, I know you. I know who you are. Don’t pretend.”
To whatever degree Harris self-identifies as Black an is identified by others as Black there is no questioning Harris's real life experiences as an authentic Black experience. There is no single authentic Black experience; there are many individual authentic lived lives of people with identities, all valid and real. There is questioning if what she presents as her experience and her priorities are authentically her.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:12 PM

The splash back from her move has begun.

From various angles, both of today's news cycle.

WSJ
Quote:
Kamala Harris’s Debate Victory Proves Pyrrhic
She got the better of Biden, but in a way that wrecks her reputation for decency, character and truthfulness.
To the progressive side, Ryan Cooper in The Week.
Quote:
Kamala Harris' sincerity problem

... there is nothing wrong with changing one's mind when new evidence comes to light.

The problem with Harris instead is her tendency to say what is popular in front of progressive audiences while defaulting to the political status quo when it comes time to make tough decisions. ...
Besides polling the other biggish item in the news feeds today is another housing proposal.
Quote:
The bill, which the lawmakers will introduce Wednesday in their respective chambers, pledges to change eviction and screening policies in housing so people with a criminal history can apply for federal housing assistance.
Harris is the latest 2020 Democratic presidential candidate to attach her name to the star of the progressive left, entering the so-called AOC primary.
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders teamed up with Ocasio-Cortez to campaign for progressive candidates in 2018 after she upset the Democratic incumbent in her congressional primary. They have also co-sponsored legislation; on Tuesday, the pair, along with Oregon's Rep. Earl Blumenauer, rolled out a resolution to declare climate change a national emergency.
Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren has paired with the New York congresswoman on a number of platforms, from legislation to a video deconstructing the last season of HBO's "Game of Thrones." Warren and Ocasio-Cortez have also had private lunches together. ...
I'm WAGing that the next two weeks of news cycle may not be so kind to her. If so how she handles it will be a good test of any possible general election mettle.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 PM

I wouldn't say her victory was Pyrrhic at all; she climbed up from lagging well behind Warren and Sanders to being essentially tied. Joe Biden has recovered from some of the damage sustained on debate night, but Harris knew the odds of completely overtaking him just based on one debate performance had to be slim. She nevertheless achieved what she intended, which is to get recognized and to pull closer to Biden, and more importantly, to plant seeds of doubt in voters minds about Biden's ability to fight Trump in a general election.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:24 PM

I am not sure if over time it will be Pryrrhic or not. Obviously I have my concerns. What is true is that the media narrative in the immediate aftermath was focused on the positive of this interaction for her. I am positing that a blowback is beginning and will gain steam. To some degree the more successful the play was the more inevitable the blowback was to be. The scrappy underdog gets the good storyline. Move up the ranks and you evolve out of that role and become a target instead. And how that is handled informs.

I’m thinking Warren outlasts her as the main Biden alternative. I’ve expressed why. But maybe Harris will surprise me.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:47 AM

I get the feeling that Harris is pretty good at being slippery, which is a quality that all effective and successful politicians have. Yes, it probably drives ideological purists nuts, but she doesn't give a shit, and I don't think we necessarily should either. She strikes me as a razor sharp woman. She's probably got some 'bitch' in her, but that, too, is probably a necessary quality when you're preparing to fight swamp creatures in the swamp.

Last edited by asahi; 07-11-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 AM

Still looking for disagreement...

My WAG is that her problem with that is not going to be the ideological purists but the larger number who see the differences on the issues as minor but are wanting to believe in the candidate’s “authenticity”.

Warren has likely told the same “the Dress” story hundreds of times but she comes off as having true emotion, fresh, and authentic, every time. Biden’s very fumbles are part of his authenticity. Sanders’ consistent one note makes him believable as authentic. To use that “lanes” bit- not sure how big the slippery lane is this time.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:30 AM

It may not be popular with the primary electorate. So we will see if she gets through. IMO her slippery political savvy is exactly why she is the only suitable nominee out of the top four.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Still looking for disagreement...

My WAG is that her problem with that is not going to be the ideological purists but the larger number who see the differences on the issues as minor but are wanting to believe in the candidate’s “authenticity”.

Warren has likely told the same “the Dress” story hundreds of times but she comes off as having true emotion, fresh, and authentic, every time. Biden’s very fumbles are part of his authenticity. Sanders’ consistent one note makes him believable as authentic. To use that “lanes” bit- not sure how big the slippery lane is this time.
I dunno, man. I thought "That little girl was me" was pretty authentic, which is what made the attack so devastating.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I dunno, man. I thought "That little girl was me" was pretty authentic, which is what made the attack so devastating.
I thought so too, until she started selling Litte Girl T-shirts the next day.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I get the feeling that Harris is pretty good at being slippery, which is a quality that all effective and successful politicians have. Yes, it probably drives ideological purists nuts, but she doesn't give a shit, and I don't think we necessarily should either. She strikes me as a razor sharp woman. She's probably got some 'bitch' in her, but that, too, is probably a necessary quality when you're preparing to fight swamp creatures in the swamp.
Yes, she is sharp and slippery, no doubt. She will conceal her real agenda until elected.

And no, that Little Girl wasnt her, that's been de-bunked.

But she has a decent chance of beating Trump, no doubt.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Huh? She was a little girl. And she was in that class.

A bit can be practiced and planned and still be authentic. The shirts the next day may have been tacky and over the top but not proof of inauthenticity.

The inauthenticity is her having portrayed support of mandatory busing to be such deeply personal item for her and so important, only to (appropriately) whip back from it a few days later as not needed to deal with segregation now.

The inauthenticity is her saying that she never would have gotten any sort of quality education and achieved like she has if it had not been for busing, and implying that that little girl was a disadvantaged child in the same boat as those with multigenerational poverty and lack of educational opportunities, when she actually came from a fair amount of privilege on both sides, with parents who were both highly educated and who got her childhood education from Junior High through High School in a very good school in Canada while her mother was a faculty member and research physician at McGill.

When Warren tells her story that establishes her poor childhood of a stressed church-going working class family, who learned big words by listening in on her parents discussing their financial worries when they thought she was asleep, with a mom that her taught her by example, well, grit and determination in the face of what scares you, and the importance of family ... I believe her. It seems to be true.

It is a significant contrast. I just wish I was more convinced of Warren's chances in the general.

I think what hurt HRC the most was that narrative, from Sanders to Trump, and before, of her being sharp and slippery. She was not perceived as authentic. That hurt most in the general.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I thought so too, until she started selling Litte Girl T-shirts the next day.
I had forgotten about that.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:25 AM

The authenticity some seek is not found in national politics IRL. The closest we get is the transparent self-interest shown by Trump. No thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
The authenticity some seek is not found in national politics IRL.
I agree with this. It's best to assume all of them have a story to peddle and then it keep it moving.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Exactly.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Whether I agree or disagree is immaterial. The question is not what would be best to do, but what a bulk of voters are going to do. The question is not even who is behaving authentically; it is who voters who care a lot about that believe is.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Yes. The only Democrats elected president in the past 40 years were excellent at bullshitting voters in that regard.

ETA: I mean that as a compliment! It’s exactly what we need.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 07-11-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm not convinced authenticity is anything that matters. Trump is authentic--his personal character is transparently obvious to everyone. It's a candidate's personal character that matters. Specifically, how their personal character relates to the voter, whether the candidate connects as "same" or "other". Everything else is only a tie-breaker.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

Harris showed that Joe Biden ain't ready for the prime time. As I wrote much earlier in this thread, Biden never came close to getting the nomination on his previous runs, why does anyone think he's a strong candidate this time around and decades older? I think the Trump camp is going big on "we're really concerned Joe briar patch Biden's going to run". Joe simply wasn't ready for the debate and was flummoxed by the on stage accusation. IMHO the candidate to beat Trump has to have more than "anyone but Trump" as the value card.

Sanders is a one trick pony that the stars sorta aligned on 4 years ago, but methinks the orbits have changed. And he's no spring chicken (I say this as one pushing 60)

Harris seems to blow too much in the wind depending on the audience to come across as "authentic". It's certainly not a plus for her. She's going to need to demonstrate that the Biden takedown is much more than a one time gotcha move.

Elizabeth Warren is growing on me. She is a policy wonk and I generally like most of her policies. Wish she was a decade younger.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:30 AM

Joe Biden's politics have more range with the electorate than any other real contender that I can think of. If it gets to the point where people view him as old and confused or completely out of touch, then I think the Democratic party's chances of recapturing the White House go down a bit. Certainly, with an incumbent as toxic as Trump, an election victory is probably still within reach, but the prototypical candidate would be someone who has Biden's politics but without the self-destructive tendencies. If it's not Biden, then I sorta think that Harris has the political acumen to navigate the choppy waters of presidential politics. Time will tell, though.

Last edited by asahi; 07-12-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Joe Biden is a nostalgia play. He wasn't close to ever getting the nod on his previous attempts. He's not going to the be the last person standing, especially if he couldn't handle the Harris roundhouse on the first debate. She is a shark and he looks like an old flounder. Running on an "I'm not Trump but I'm an alternative Democratic Party old white dude" ticket isn't exactly compelling. I don't mean to be snarky, but what range is that?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:22 AM

Agreed.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 07-14-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Problem is nostalgia sells so that explains some of the Biden appeal
Old 07-31-2019, 01:00 PM

Part two tonight when Harris meets with Biden and the others again.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:26 PM

I hope Joe doesn't over-correct and come across as hostile or nasty. I find it hard to believe that he would, but I think tonight is going to be a brawl, and I'm not necessarily sure it'll be limited to Harris-Biden. I'm fairly certain that Castro and Booker will take a few swings at Uncle Joe, and then you've got Woke New York Tough Guy Bill De Blasio who will be swinging for the fences. Wouldn't surprise me if De Blasio goes right for Joe's jugular.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:07 PM

Woke New York Tough Guy, so apt. I think you are right!
Old 07-31-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hope Joe doesn't over-correct and come across as hostile or nasty.
And I hope he does, but like you, I'm not expecting it.

Even though I'm much more of a Warren fan, I strongly suspect that Harris would be the best of the top four in the general election. Tonight should tell us more.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I hope Joe doesn't over-correct and come across as hostile or nasty. I find it hard to believe that he would, but I think tonight is going to be a brawl, and I'm not necessarily sure it'll be limited to Harris-Biden. I'm fairly certain that Castro and Booker will take a few swings at Uncle Joe, and then you've got Woke New York Tough Guy Bill De Blasio who will be swinging for the fences. Wouldn't surprise me if De Blasio goes right for Joe's jugular.
Yep, Woke New York Tough Guy's being a Woke New York Tough Guy.

And I'm not sure Biden's really responding well.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:03 PM

She's a train wreck
Old 08-01-2019, 12:53 PM

Major, but I think fairly accurate, paraphrasing:

Gabbard to Harris: You did these bad things as a prosecutor.
Harris: I'm proud of my career as a prosecutor (note the lack of refutation of specific Gabbard assertions).

Anderson Cooper to Harris, post-debate: What is your reaction to Gabbard?
Harris: Syria. Assad. Who the hell is Gabbard?

Quote:
Well, yeah, and especially when people are at zero or 1 percent, or whatever she might be at, and so I did expect I might take hits tonight,” Harris added before hitting Gabbard for her record on Syria. “I can only take what she says and her opinion so seriously,” Harris said after calling Gabbard an “apologist” for Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad.
She's gonna have to do way better than that when there are fewer candidates and this can be explored further, and especially if Trump gets a chance at her.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 08-01-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Actually, "which one was Gabbard?" strikes me as a good response, without the Syria stuff at all. On some level acting Presidential already, or at least like a front-runner. It might need to be semi-humourously done, and I am not sure Harris has the confidence to bring it off, but a candidate needs to learn how to brush off attacks from people trying to drag themselves up by pulling on you.

At any rate, Harris is highly unlikely to face off against Gabbard again, so a simple brush-off might minimize the effects of the attack.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Now that Harris' vulnerability on that point is exposed, it won't matter if it's Gabbard who keeps pressing it or any other candidate who was paying attention last night.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Actually, "which one was Gabbard?" strikes me as a good response, without the Syria stuff at all. On some level acting Presidential already, or at least like a front-runner. It might need to be semi-humourously done, and I am not sure Harris has the confidence to bring it off, but a candidate needs to learn how to brush off attacks from people trying to drag themselves up by pulling on you.

At any rate, Harris is highly unlikely to face off against Gabbard again, so a simple brush-off might minimize the effects of the attack.

Regards,
Shodan
Oh, sure, it might be minimized this time. But the point is she needs a real defense, and deflecting won't do it. This is not about just Gabbard, IOW.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 08-01-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Oh, sure, it might be minimized this time. But the point is she needs a real defense, and deflecting won't do it.
And she should have thought of one years ago. This isn't the first campaign she's been in where it's come up.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
And she should have thought of one years ago. This isn't the first campaign she's been in where it's come up.
Given that she's gotten this far without one, I guess that is some comfort to Harris supporters. But not much, I'd think.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
In California she is associated with the still very influential Willie Brown. She is running nationwide now and the same old crap won't cut it. Well, it might, but it shouldn't.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Now that Harris' vulnerability on that point is exposed, it won't matter if it's Gabbard who keeps pressing it or any other candidate who was paying attention last night.
This is far from being a new line of attack. The Kremlin bots have been pushing 'Kamala's a cop' ever since she declared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
... But the point is she needs a real defense, and deflecting won't do it. T...
It's entirely possible that she has a full defense--sound bites and all--but recognizes it's one that will play better in the general than in the primary.

In the general, having leaned more 'law and order' than 'social worker' will play well. In the primary, it's all about getting past the Kremlin bots and the useful idiots who echo their 'she doesn't have the back of the black community' line.

Granted, the specific charges need to be refuted or explained. Some may not actually be true:

Quote:
... But the one death penalty controversy Harris has not fully explained, at least until now, is the case of Kevin Cooper, a man on death row who has proclaimed his innocence for the past 35 years but who was denied essential DNA testing while Harris was the state’s attorney general.

... In 2016, Harris’s office refused to allow the DNA testing Cooper’s attorneys asked for; then-Gov. Jerry Brown (D) also did nothing, Kristof reported. Despite Gabbard’s claims, a court never forced Harris to do the tests. Instead, Newsom took office and allowed the DNA testing to move forward in February.

...A campaign spokesman for Harris told The Washington Post on Thursday morning that Harris was not directly involved in the decision to deny Cooper’s petition in 2016.

“Senator Harris ran an office of 5,000 people and takes responsibility for all the actions of the [California] Department of Justice during her tenure,” the statement said. “Most of the legal activity around this case occurred before her terms in office, but this specific request was made to and decided by lower level attorneys. When the case was brought to her attention, she publicly called for further DNA testing. ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.a35a3ab20023

I'm not seeing specifics on the 'prisoners used for labor' or 'targeting minorities on low-level drug charges' accusations. But one would expect that Harris' campaign will address these.

As for Harris herself speaking out: again, I'm guessing that she'll do so more forcefully if she makes it to the general.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

I think Kamala Harris should be pushing law and order in the primaries, if not now quite yet. Tell us how she is the best for prosecuting corrupt politicians and criminal corporations, without naming names of course. Tell us how she's going to prevent foreign and corrupt domestic influence on our elections. Tell us how she's going to vigorously go after violations of civil rights and voting rights. Tell us her plan for going after tax cheats. Promise that the Justice department and IRS will get the resources and authorizations they need to do all this. And for the cherry on top, promise that she will change the policy that a president in office cannot be indicted.

America needs the Democratic party to make law and order a priority. And Kamala Harris is in the prime position to do that.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
This is far from being a new line of attack. The Kremlin bots have been pushing 'Kamala's a cop' ever since she declared.

In the general, having leaned more 'law and order' than 'social worker' will play well. In the primary, it's all about getting past the Kremlin bots and the useful idiots who echo their 'she doesn't have the back of the black community' line.....
So far, I have only seen Kremlin hits on Biden.

Do you have cite about these?

Note, i have no doubt they are ready to pounce on whoever is the front runner or whoever they are scared of.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
So far, I have only seen Kremlin hits on Biden.

Do you have cite about these?

Note, i have no doubt they are ready to pounce on whoever is the front runner or whoever they are scared of.
Seth Abramson has been documenting Kremlin support for Tulsi Gabbard, which presumably would be for the purpose of helping her tear down all the Dem candidates (not just Harris):

Quote:
Seth Abramson
‏Verified account
@SethAbramson
5h5 hours ago
I criticized Tulsi Gabbard today... *indirectly*.
Troll attacks on my feed *instantly* went up *1000%*.
Not sure what make of it.
Oh—you're wondering what I said about Tulsi?
I mentioned media reports confirming that far-right and Russian trolls are artificially boosting her.
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...16595232894982

and

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...70833458708480

Harris has talked about Russian bots working against her campaign:

Quote:
... Harris' claims come as "Russian bots" have become a catchall description, for some, of any disinformation spread online. Democrats could even potentially view the perception that they have been targeted by Russian trolls as politically advantageous -- another way to contrast themselves to President Donald Trump, who has publicly sowed doubt about the veracity and implications of Russian cyber meddling, despite warnings from intelligence officials.
A Twitter spokesperson told CNN that the company had no evidence that Harris was the target of state-backed bots. Facebook would not say if it had found any Russian activity relating to Harris or other Democratic candidates.

Both Twitter and Facebook infamously failed to detect expansive disinformation campaigns run from Russia in 2016.

... The Harris campaign provided links to a number of news articles when CNN asked what evidence it had that Russia was involved in the attacks.
Some of the stories cited respected researchers who say some of the influence campaigns they see playing out on social media bear the hallmarks of state-backed disinformation campaigns.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/polit...ots/index.html

The CNN writer expresses a lot of skepticism, but concedes that in recent years, bot activity has occurred without being detected.

eta: my own remark about bots pushing the "Kamala is a cop" meme is based on a story I saw on one of the cable news channels. I don't recall which one or which day I saw it, so am not succeeding in finding a link. However, I do think it would be unwise to bet against the likelihood that the Kremlin would prefer Trump to Harris, and is active on the internet in pursuit of that preference.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 08-01-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 PM

NM

Last edited by CarnalK; 08-01-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seth Abramson has been documenting Kremlin support for Tulsi Gabbard, which presumably would be for the purpose of helping her tear down all the Dem candidates (not just Harris):

Harris has talked about Russian bots working against her campaign:

The CNN writer expresses a lot of skepticism, but concedes that in recent years, bot activity has occurred without being detected.
Ok, I see that, I am slightly dubious but...

And the only cite for Harris is herself- i am more than slightly dubious.

Look, they will attack the frontrunner and Harris is far from that.

Not that they wont, mind you, i have no doubt of that. Let Harris become the favorite and they will be all over her. But she aint a target- yet.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:47 PM

If Russian bots are helping Gabbard's campaign, they really need better bots because she's been fairly active in national politics for the past few years and in this campaign, and she's barely pulling 1% of the vote. Being a bottom-tier candidate, Gabbard did what other bottom-tier candidates do (and did last night): she made a top-tier candidate her target in what could be her last debate appearance.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:41 AM

I wish a couple of those skeletons were not in her closet, but she still looks like the strongest of the top tier. She has a unique combination of charisma, likability, competence, and toughness.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
I'm not seeing specifics on the 'prisoners used for labor' or 'targeting minorities on low-level drug charges' accusations. But one would expect that Harris' campaign will address these.
Here's some info/fact-checking on those: https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...en-fact-check/
Old 08-02-2019, 02:00 AM

That is reassuring.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:54 AM

I may have said it before but I don't think Harris' record as a prosecutor is going to be a liability at all. Her being criticized by the left as a get-tough-on-crime prosecutor will probably actually reassure some white moderates that she's not some pinko pansy, and I doubt that people of color will view her as a racist. She probably years ago made the calculation that the AG spot was a statewide office that would give her a profile that might make her appealing to a broader audience. As I've said previously, Harris is calculating and slippery, and she's a very dangerous opponent for that reason. And she will probably get more dangerous for her opposition as the race narrows because a smaller field with more specific targets will give her time to attack her opposition like a courtroom prosecutor, one on one.

Last edited by asahi; 08-02-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:54 AM

The Russian bot claims are backed up by no evidence. Pure hysteria. Once again the case for Russian interference is largely resting upon the fact that RT exists.

Search YouTube for Gabbard and the first thing that comes up is a disgusting McCarthy-style smear of Gabbard on the View. Yes, the corporate press has found its candidate. Unsurprisingly, it is the warmonger dirty cop.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 08-02-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
I think Kamala Harris should be pushing law and order in the primaries, if not now quite yet. Tell us how she is the best for prosecuting corrupt politicians and criminal corporations, without naming names of course. Tell us how she's going to prevent foreign and corrupt domestic influence on our elections. Tell us how she's going to vigorously go after violations of civil rights and voting rights. Tell us her plan for going after tax cheats. Promise that the Justice department and IRS will get the resources and authorizations they need to do all this. And for the cherry on top, promise that she will change the policy that a president in office cannot be indicted.

America needs the Democratic party to make law and order a priority. And Kamala Harris is in the prime position to do that.
All of this makes sense, but my perception is that being the law and order candidate is a liability in the Democratic primaries even if it would be a positive in the general election.

Regards,
Shodan