Old 07-04-2019, 05:44 PM

It'd be a close call, but I THINK that I would vote for Trump over Rush Limbaugh.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:26 PM

I was thinking I might vote for Trump over an unconvicted-but-insane serial killer, but if the psycho killer would be removed in short order by the 25th Amendment and had a decent VP, I'm not sure.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I'd take Trump over John Bolton.

The single most worrisome trait about Trump (on a list of worries that reaches the moon and back) is that he's simple-minded enough to allow people like Bolton to exercise dangerous influence that could potentially end many lives. Trump wants the title and status of President, but he has no interest whatever in the nuts and bolts of policy -- it's all just a status game for him -- which gives his more clever subordinates power for however long Trump's caprice lasts.

John Bolton always angles for war. It's possible that one of his murderous escapades could become thermonuclear hot.

He's been side-lined the last week or so, but the White House winds could shift again and put him in the position to kill tens of thousands of folks, and possibly more if he's given enough slack. With Trump in the oval office, there's always the chance that he changes direction and pulls back on pursuing a stupid policy because constantly meddling with things gives him the buzz of being in control, which is all he really wants. With Bolton in the same office, we'd have at least one guaranteed war, and possibly more. And this seems to fit the OP's conditions, since Bolton is a long-standing government official, but has not to my knowledge ever held elected office.

Trump over Bolton. I also agree with the others who would pick Trump the panderer over the explicit neo-Confederates and white supremacists out there.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:07 PM

I will vote against whoever andi supports. His white-knighting and generally mush-brained thinking is too ominous to ignore any longer.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwittingAmericans View Post
I will vote against whoever andi supports. His white-knighting and generally mush-brained thinking is too ominous to ignore any longer.
Is this about me? If so, I definitely support Trump!
Old 07-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Quote:
Insulting other posters isnít allowed. You should know that.

Warning issued. Please donít do it again.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:03 PM

Iíd vote for Trump is his opponent was:

1). Gary Busey.
2). The ďLeave Britney alone!Ē guy.
3). Andy Dick.
4). The Situation.
5). Harvey Weinstein.
6). Any one of Trumpís godawful children.
7). Me.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:04 PM

Alex Jones. Wayne LaPierre. That combination of offensiveness and sheer nuttiness. (I can't choose David Duke because he was a politician.)

David Miscavige, or the current head of the Fundamentalist Mormon Church, and several other nutty religious leaders. Scientology literally keeps prisoners and slaves.

As for the fundamentalist Mormons (the ones who practice polygamy, which the regular Mormon Church has abandoned before any of us were alive, just to be clear)... I stumbled across a court case involving them in Canada, and the abuse those women (and even many of the boys) face is disgusting. A relative of mine had to flee her home due to parental emotional abuse and neglect, and I was horrified to realize there were hundreds of women in Canada all facing worse conditions than she did, and would find escape much harder. Many of the victims, as young as 13, were shipped across the border to be "married", and of course when you're stuck in another country without legal status, money, or education you're going to be completely dependent.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Insulting other posters isnít allowed. You should know that.

Warning issued. Please donít do it again.
YOU should know better.

I joined the ACLU the day GHW declared Mike Dukakis a card-carrying member.

Andi's presumption of guilty until proved innocent is the greatest threat you will ever face. Ever.

If that's what you call an insult, you have a lot to learn.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Extrajudicial

Moderating

Quote:
YOU should know better.

I joined the ACLU the day GHW declared Mike Dukakis a card-carrying member.

Andi's presumption of guilty until proved innocent is the greatest threat you will ever face. Ever.

If that's what you call an insult, you have a lot to learn.
This is a warning for failure to follow moderator instructions. Previously, when you received a warning you felt the need to comment on it in a jerkish way. That was following prior comments along the same lines, and as a result you received a warning. Now you've repeated the same behavior, and are receiving another warning.

Comments about moderation belong in ATMB.

[/moderating]
Old 07-05-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
This is a warning for failure to follow moderator instructions. Previously, when you received a warning you felt the need to comment on it in a jerkish way. That was following prior comments along the same lines, and as a result you received a warning. Now you've repeated the same behavior, and are receiving another warning.

Comments about moderation belong in ATMB.

[/moderating]
You may be under the misapprehsenion that I am debating this with you.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:13 PM

That was an insult, BTW, so do your worst.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:16 AM
Extrajudicial

Moderating

Quote:
You may be under the misapprehsenion that I am debating this with you.
Quote:
That was an insult, BTW, so do your worst.

Yeah, thanks for making it clear. As a result, I'm giving you another warning. And you've been suspended. That was coming anyways, and we do have a process to go through so I'm not going to summarily ban you. But when you come back, feel free to try again and I'll gladly pull the trigger.

[/moderating]
Old 07-06-2019, 02:29 AM

If John C. Reilly stayed in his Dr. Steve Brule persona - him.
Lavar Ball
Jeanine Pirro
Mike Cernovich
Carter Page
Rip Taylor
James Woods
Kim Kardashian
Guy Fieri

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 07-06-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:04 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I think there is absolutely no way I would vote for Trump. Even that dead rat on his head is a better choice.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:44 PM

John Barron.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:06 PM

Joe Arpaio?
Old 07-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

This is two parts: There are NO Dem candidates I wouldn't choose over trump.

However, being in CA, and CA being a forgone Blue state, there are a few where I might vote for some alt candidate just as a protest. Maybe Harris, Booker, even Warren if she doesnt drop the foolish reparations idea. But I'd rather have ANY of them than trump.

See, that's the way to do a protest vote- when it wont actually effect the election results.