Old 07-16-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
...AOC accused Pelosi of “explicitly singling out women of colour”. The so-clear-you-could-bet-your-life-on-it implication is that Pelosi is racist.
...why did you choose to misquote AOC?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM

I concede. Banquet Bear, of New Zealand, is an expert on American politics and history. I yield the floor.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacks View Post
It was long dead before that. It's what got him elected. Trump is a symptom of the disease, not the disease itself. Tribalism amplified by millions of voices and bots on social media caused this nightmare.
He is both the symptom and the disease. He is both the flame and the wind which fans it. This whole administration is like binge watching "Breaking Bad". You were OK with him when he strangled Krazy 8 in the basement, right. You were OK with it maybe when he let Jessica Jones (Q's daughter) die, right. You were OK when he told Jesse to kill Gale because, kind of self-defense, right. And now that he's ordered a bunch of killings you want to draw the line? Sorry.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I concede. Banquet Bear, of New Zealand, is an expert on American politics and history. I yield the floor.
Thank Og. Let’s see if you stick to it, at least for a little while.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...why did you choose to misquote AOC?
...AOC said:

“When these comments first started, I kind of thought that she was keeping the progressive flank at more of an arm’s distance in order to protect more moderate members, which I understood,” Ocasio-Cortez told The Washington Post. “But the persistent singling out . . . it got to a point where it was just outright disrespectful . . . the explicit singling out of newly elected women of color.”

Please explain how I “misquoted” her.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 AM

This is how the geniuses at the Facebook group Vietnam Veterans for T***p are spinning it:

Quote:
WE ARE SICK IN TIRED OF RACIST CARD ISSUE TO SILENCE US. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
IF THEY ARE UNHAPPY AND DISSATISFIED IN THE U.S.A THEN TIME FOR THEM
TO GO BACK WHATEVER NATIONALITY THEY CAME FROM NO OFFENSE. WE DID NOT
INVITE THEM TO COME TO THE U.S IT IS THEIR OWN FREE WELL
PRESIDENT TRUMP IS RIGHT.
What the everliving fuck? The 4 are Americans, and 3 of the 4 were born in the US. Even the one who wasn't has been a citizen longer than Melania. This it the depth of the racism, bigotry, and stupidity that drives the right. Of COURSE they're going to vote Republican like they always do. The question is, will this drive people in the middle toward them or away from them?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
...AOC said:

“When these comments first started, I kind of thought that she was keeping the progressive flank at more of an arm’s distance in order to protect more moderate members, which I understood,” Ocasio-Cortez told The Washington Post. “But the persistent singling out . . . it got to a point where it was just outright disrespectful . . . the explicit singling out of newly elected women of color.”

Please explain how I “misquoted” her.
Quote:
...AOC accused Pelosi of “explicitly singling out women of colour”. The so-clear-you-could-bet-your-life-on-it implication is that Pelosi is racist.
...I've bolded what you ommitted from your original post.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Right, emphasis on "newly-elected."

"Women of color" had no connotative meaning at all.

Okay.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Right, emphasis on "newly-elected."

"Women of color" had no connotative meaning at all.

Okay.
...didn't you yield the floor?
Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 AM

Wow! An hour and 16 minutes; is that a new record?
Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
What exactly have those four accomplished since being elected?
Besides getting rightwing Dopers to defend the Racist-in-Chief?
Old 07-16-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I think Trump essentially got lucky when it turned out that many people don't care about the racist things he says. And for some people it's a positive for him to say that stuff.
I am concerned that chalking it up to luck is underestimating Trump and overestimating his supporters.

He's not smart, we know that. He does not have the capacity to govern a fish tank, much less a country.

But riling up the masses and putting out a populist message, we've already seen him succeed in that, we shouldn't be so complacent to believe that it was just a fluke.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:06 AM

Trump: I am boneless.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
In terms of what they've accomplished, I know this: It took AOC all of five minutes to elicit testimony from Michael Cohen that congress had a good damn reason to look at Trump's personal finances.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
...You’re right. What I omitted completely changed the meaning of the accusation. Cortez wasn’t implying that Pelosi was racist. She was implying that she was racist and patronising.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:39 PM

I find it incredible that the people most opposed to immigrants are the ones who don't live near many. The more immigrants around, the more likely a person is to favor immigration.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
He's right; that's hardly an accomplishment.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:01 PM

It obviously anywhere near the most egregious or hypocritical things about Trump's new "if you don't like it go back where you came from" rhetoric, but it's absurd to hear it from someone whose campaign slogan was "Make America Great Again" in 2016 and will be "Keep America Great" in 2020.

If America wasn't great prior to January 2017, why didn't Trump and his supporters leave? If it will no longer be great if Trump loses in 2020, will they leave then?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wizerables View Post
If America wasn't great prior to January 2017, why didn't Trump and his supporters leave? If it will no longer be great if Trump loses in 2020, will they leave then?
So much this ^^^

All I saw on my Fakebook feed from Republishits on election night 2012 was "I'm leavin' the country!"

If only they woulda!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wizerables View Post
It obviously anywhere near the most egregious or hypocritical things about Trump's new "if you don't like it go back where you came from" rhetoric, but it's absurd to hear it from someone whose campaign slogan was "Make America Great Again" in 2016 and will be "Keep America Great" in 2020.

Substitute “white” for “great” and the meaning becomes much clearer. Keep America white!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
In terms of what they've accomplished, I know this: It took AOC all of five minutes to elicit testimony from Michael Cohen that congress had a good damn reason to look at Trump's personal finances.
What legislation (their primary job) have they passed?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:46 PM

Hey, that's a cool question!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
What has that got to do with a racist president and those that support him?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:55 PM

Today a reporter asked Kellyanne Conway about the President's racist tweets. She responded by asking the reporter his ethnicity.

In a separate press conference, Mitch McConnell was asked twice if he'd consider ot racist if someone told his immigrant wife to go back where she came from. He ignored the question both times.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Today a reporter asked Kellyanne Conway about the President's racist tweets. She responded by asking the reporter his ethnicity.

In a separate press conference, Mitch McConnell was asked twice if he'd consider ot racist if someone told his immigrant wife to go back where she came from. He ignored the question both times.
That's because McConnell's wife is not from a shithole country like Detroit or the Bronx.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
I find it incredible that the people most opposed to immigrants are the ones who don't live near many. The more immigrants around, the more likely a person is to favor immigration.
I don't think most people are opposed to immigrants, just illegal immigrants. There's a difference.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's because McConnell's wife is not from a shithole country like Detroit or the Bronx.
She is a citizen of the country of Rich. They don't have a lot of requirements, just the one.

Last edited by elucidator; 07-16-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Malform follows malfunction
Old 07-16-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Here you go:

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/24/186371...bills-congress

Were you aware that McConnell won't let the Senate vote on any of this and that's why they are telling you that the congress hasn't passed anything?
Old 07-16-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Absolutely. "how can Trump get so many votes when he's an obvious and unrepentant racist?"

Because many, many voters are unrepentant racists. (Sorry in advance for insulting any members of this board who feel that this targets them personally. It is not intended as such. And sorry if I am posting too many times for this thread. )
Well, you see the first time he got elected (and hopefully the last and only time), he out and out lied to a bunch of desperate people in the Rust belt. Hillary didn't lie to them. They desperately wanted to believe the lie that their factory jobs were coming back to them. Those people werent racist, they were desperate. And in Nov 2016 trump wasnt such a obvious racist.

Then there's the rich. They arent racists, but they dont care that trump is one as long as he delivers those tax cuts- which he did.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
And in Nov 2016 trump wasnt such a obvious racist.
Not to those away from the East Coast, no. The conservative owner of a predominately black Midwestern newspaper endorsed Trump, believing Trump couldn't be as bad as people were claiming. Only to realize that Trump is actually worse.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-16-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
I don't think most people are opposed to immigrants, just illegal immigrants. There's a difference.

The four women who are the topic of this conversation who were told to go back to their countries are all legal. Three aren’t even immigrants. Seems like you are mistaken.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
True, we were much more aware of his misogyny (both general and specific) and his mocking of the disabled than of his racism, although that was hardly a secret (the Mexico-paid wall and the Muslim ban were campaign promises, remember?).

Does that excuse anything?
Old 07-16-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They got the 9/11 first responders bill passed, way faster than McConnell could.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Donald Trump: I don't have a racist bone in my body.
Milo Yiannopoulos: Would you like one?

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 07-16-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
How is this going to polarize the Democrats? Are some Democrats going to say "you know, Trump has a point. These bad women SHOULD go back!"
Really. If anything, Trump is inadvertently helping to close the divide among Democrats that opened up last week when Pelosi admonished the newbies. If he was really playing strategically, I think he would be better off either giving Pelosi some backhanded praise for slamming the commies or praising the newbies for standing up to the old lady.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
What? WHAT???! He launched his modern political career by serving as the poster child for “birtherism,” as blatantly racist as it’s possible to be!!!

This week has simply been coming full circle to his white nationalist core.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimfromNapa View Post
Really. If anything, Trump is inadvertently helping to close the divide among Democrats that opened up last week when Pelosi admonished the newbies. If he was really playing strategically, I think he would be better off either giving Pelosi some backhanded praise for slamming the commies or praising the newbies for standing up to the old lady.
Here, let me fix the spelling for you:

"If he was really playing with a full deck..."
Old 07-16-2019, 03:53 PM

Meanwhile, over in the House, debate on a resolution condemning Trump for his "racist remarks" has been put on hold for something like two hours while they discuss whether or not Pelosi violated the rules of the House when, when speaking in favor of the resolution, she called the remarks "racist." Note that she didn't call Trump a racist (nor does the resolution) - just the remarks.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
What? WHAT???! He launched his modern political career by serving as the poster child for “birtherism,” as blatantly racist as it’s possible to be!!!

This week has simply been coming full circle to his white nationalist core.
Yep. In 1973 he was found guilty of discrimination against black people trying to rent his apartments. He's old school OR (Original Racist).
Old 07-16-2019, 03:56 PM

Out of curiosity, what House rule might this refer to?

(Sounds rather like the SDMB — “attack the post, not the poster”?)
Old 07-16-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Yep. In 1973 he was found guilty of discrimination against black people trying to rent his apartments. He's old school OR (Original Racist).
With the Central Park Five debacle in between.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Meanwhile, over in the House, debate on a resolution condemning Trump for his "racist remarks" has been put on hold for something like two hours while they discuss whether or not Pelosi violated the rules of the House when, when speaking in favor of the resolution, she called the remarks "racist." Note that she didn't call Trump a racist (nor does the resolution) - just the remarks.
If you need any evidence that institutional racism still exists in this country, the fact that racists are not allowed to be called "racist" in Congress should provide that for you.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
See post 180.

It was easy to have conservatives not really paying attention and think "he couldn't possibly be all that bad".

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-16-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Like I said elsewhere:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
...I fear the Dems will chew themselves up with infighting and hand thump the 2020 election.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:44 PM

I've noticed some news outlets finally giving up the euphemisms and calling Trump's remarks "racist". NPR did so in a tweet and in the most recent hourly news roundup I heard, and the St. Louis Post Dispatch did today as well. I'm glad some news operations are done with "racially charged" and other similar nonsense. I hope more follow suit soon.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 07-16-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Cool to say racist shit, uncool to call it racist.
That's fucked up. That's really fucked up.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what House rule might this refer to?

(Sounds rather like the SDMB — “attack the post, not the poster”?)
Rule XVII.1(b) says, "Remarks in debate (which may include references to the Senate or its Members) shall be confined to the question under debate, avoiding personality." Apparently, the acting Speaker cited a similar situation against Speaker Tip O'Neill in 1984 in sanctioning the comment.

Note that the House then voted to keep Pelosi's comment in the record.

If you ask me, the comment should stand - she didn't call Trump racist; she just said that he made "racist remarks." Yes, there's a difference.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:58 PM

You'll notice that the people who said that Trump's remarks were not racist were all white and a lot of them were from the South. When asked, any person of color or recent immigrant emphatically states the remark was racist. Hell, even the Mooch said that the remark was racist and completely reprehensible.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I've noticed some news outlets finally giving up the euphemisms and calling Trump's remarks "racist". NPR did so in a tweet and in the most recent hourly news roundup I heard, and the St. Louis Post Dispatch did today as well. I'm glad some news operations are done with "racially charged" and other similar nonsense. I hope more follow suit soon.
AP is also calling the tweets racist.

Now if they can all just start calling the President racist, we'll be getting somewhere.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
You'll notice that the people who said that Trump's remarks were not racist were all white and a lot of them were from the South. ...
Oh, and Republican. Can't forget that part. Even those Repubs who didn't like it (Mitt) just couldn't bring themselves to speak the truth.