Old 09-06-2019, 08:51 PM

I don't understand why a single thread about self-defense with a gun disturbs some people. There are many cited cases of women protecting themselves from domestic violence, rape or even death because they had access to a gun. Many homeowners have stopped armed home invasions by using a gun. Documenting and discussing these cases is the only purpose of the Positive Gun News thread.

Criminal use of guns is heavily reported by the media and discussed in SDMB threads.

That's how it should be. Fair and equal discussion.

I read the threads from both sides. Guns can be misused by bad people. They can also save lives in some circumstances.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-06-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I think it all depends on what the OP says exactly, and should be judged modded and litigated on that. You can't fulfill a mission of fighting ignorance by saying "You know what I meant"

When McConnell did his ignoring of practice and protocol, in defiance of the majority of voters in the country, it didn't just happen in the wider world. It happened here too. Mitch became a topic of a thread and my memory of it is that it was people saying, basically, "You know what (I) (The Constitution) (Congress) meant!"

Do you remember what the responses to that were? It was to go back to the letter of the law, and the letters ommitted, and chew on a piece of leather.

When I watch Fox News they remind me that every value I have about economics or the environment, or race, OR GUNS, is currently a heated debate between the left and the "right" and that debate is so contested and important that it does not end, ever. It can't by definition because the rhetoric on the right has gone down that road, towards revelations and apocalypse. Just watch Fox some time. It's the end of the world for them all the time. Imagine if you had a relationship with Fox and had to tell them "You know what I meant" How far do you think you'd get?
Que?
Old 09-07-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I don't understand why a single thread about self-defense with a gun disturbs some people. . . .

. . .Guns can be misused by bad people. They can also save lives in some circumstances.
I can tell you why this one person is disturbed by it. . . in many of the examples someone dies. I don't find anything positive about the death of another human being, no matter the circumstances.

mc
Old 09-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why a single thread about self-defense with a gun disturbs some people. There are many cited cases of women protecting themselves from domestic violence, rape or even death because they had access to a gun. Many homeowners have stopped armed home invasions by using a gun. Documenting and discussing these cases is the only purpose of the Positive Gun News thread.

Criminal use of guns is heavily reported by the media and discussed in SDMB threads.

I read the threads from both sides. Guns can be misused by bad people. They can also save lives in some circumstances.
It is making a false claim that any time a gun is used for self defense it's "good" and any other experiences or characterizations are not welcome, as coming from an opposing political philosophy.

But every time a gun is used it is not just "good" or "bad." Actually it is a mixed thing like almost everything else in human endeavor. To censor the discussion of it is basically ignorance.

What if I started a thread about "good news about income inequality"? Would everyone know what i mean, and either post or stay away based on my needs, and their political philosophy?
Old 09-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
I can tell you why this one person is disturbed by it. . . in many of the examples someone dies. I don't find anything positive about the death of another human being, no matter the circumstances.
Better that the criminal assailant dies than the victim.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
What if I started a thread about "good news about income inequality"? Would everyone know what i mean, and either post or stay away based on my needs, and their political philosophy?
That depends on your ability to explain your intent in starting that topic. If you are too vague or misleading then it will fail.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
AFAIK, it's the only thread here where posters aren't allowed to voice disagreement with certain posts.
I refer you to post #9 in this thread. That time is doubtless coming to these Boards, along with a lot of other "protected" ( i.e., if you write something that crosses the protected speech line in that thread you are warned/ banned ) issues.

It's a very very good thing that Cecil Adams isn't a real person. Based on decades of his point of view on free speech, he might well find himself banned right off of his own invention.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
That depends on your ability to explain your intent in starting that topic. If you are too vague or misleading then it will fail.
Yup. I would need to write a damned good OP. Even then my "good" solutions to IE could be discounted as unaffordable, and immoral, because "crisis emergency mexicans illegal wall blah blah." Money is fungible. If I take $1 for a humanitarian cause and it helps a refugee, some people just don't want it to go to "someone like that"

This is what I would expect. It's political, just like guns.

It is not liberals fault that all political fights have to be to the death now. They import the pain and contempt wherever they can insert it. It's working so far. The taste of trump was like chicken to a dog. They won't be satisfied with anything less now and the arrogance is perfectly clear in DC and here.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

AFAIK, it's the only thread here where posters aren't allowed to voice disagreement with certain posts.
You can disagree. You can likely say that that news isnt as positive as thought due to more recent news which revealed that.....

But there are many threads where you can't threadshit.

IA"in memorium" thread about a singer for example. But even there, when someone sez "Oh, Love me my tender heart" was that singers best, you can certainly say, "No, I think the artists earlier work, such as "Hand holding is great" is better".

But you cant say "That singer was a no talent sellout and I am glad he/she is dead- good riddance!"

So, no threadshitting, which is pretty much a common rules.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Except that's not "fair and equal", that's propaganda, and a standard right wing rhetoric tactic. This is hardly the only board where that trick is used; create a thread where only pro-gun rhetoric is allowed in the name of "fairness", which in is opposite of fair since it provides a false impression of the results of gun ownership. The same tactics is commonly used to push other right wing positions as well.

It's just right wing partisan propaganda that relies on how heavily the right is pandered to basically everywhere - including here - in order to demand special treatment.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Except that's not "fair and equal", that's propaganda, and a standard right wing rhetoric tactic. This is hardly the only board where that trick is used; create a thread where only pro-gun rhetoric is allowed in the name of "fairness", which in is opposite of fair since it provides a false impression of the results of gun ownership. The same tactics is commonly used to push other right wing positions as well.

It's just right wing partisan propaganda that relies on how heavily the right is pandered to basically everywhere - including here - in order to demand special treatment.
I can accept that might be a right wing tactic. But it's only going to work in an environment controlled by people with a right wing agenda. In those cases, they can ensure that no counterbalancing views are allowed.

That's not the case here. A single thread of positive gun news is not going to eliminate all of the other threads on gun control where opposing views are common.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I can accept that might be a right wing tactic. But it's only going to work in an environment controlled by people with a right wing agenda. In those cases, they can ensure that no counterbalancing views are allowed.
No, generally most moderates and alleged left wingers will do so as well, in the name of "fairness" or whatever other version of the golden mean fallacy is popular in a particular medium.

Something the right wing is well aware of, that's why they use buzzwords like that to push their propaganda; they can get their enemies to do the majority of the work in silencing their opposition.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:47 PM

Just because you disagree with something, doesn't make it "right wing propaganda".
Old 09-08-2019, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
No, generally most moderates and alleged left wingers will do so as well, in the name of "fairness" or whatever other version of the golden mean fallacy is popular in a particular medium.

Something the right wing is well aware of, that's why they use buzzwords like that to push their propaganda; they can get their enemies to do the majority of the work in silencing their opposition.
So when the right wing does it, it proves the right wing is evil. And when the moderates or the left wing does it, it also proves the right wing is evil.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Is that always the only two options, tho? Is every crime likely to lead to the victim's death?
Old 09-09-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
So when the right wing does it, it proves the right wing is evil. And when the moderates or the left wing does it, it also proves the right wing is evil.
Based on this post, I'm not sure that you understood the post you were replying to.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't understand why a single thread about self-defense with a gun disturbs some people.
There are two separate issues here: 1) The use of SDMB as a platform for controlling contributions to your own thread, and 2) the validity of the content of a particular thread.

1. If you post in GQ, you are expected to stick to facts. If you post in GD, you are explicitly inviting competing views on a topic. If you post in IMHO, you are inviting whatever opinions people have. However, in MPSIM, it seems that the Moderators feel that you should be able to set the ground rules for discussion for your own thread. That is, you can start a thread that takes a position, and then declare that any post counter to that position is threadshitting. This last approach is so different than the other subforums that it throws people off. The spirit of most threads here is to allow open, respectful, and sometimes spirited and even blunt discussion, allowing an expression of all viewpoints. It's hard to accept that any particular thread would disallow that, with the blessing of the mods.

2. PGNOTD is an attempt to prove a point through anecdotal evidence. This is not a scientifically valid method; it is an appeal to emotion and cheerleading. The thread has an underlying agenda of promoting or at least condoning unfettered gun ownership. Of course there are individual cases where a gun has saved lives. That is not an argument for the proliferation of guns, and that is why I for one find the thread disturbing.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Is that always the only two options, tho? Is every crime likely to lead to the victim's death?
Most do not want to take that chance.

Any assailant could have not decided to threaten another person. The consequences are due to their own actions.

Contrast this with abortions, which generally result in negative news- the loss of life of a totally innocent fetus.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Based on this post, I'm not sure that you understood the post you were replying to.
I actually did understand his point. He was saying that the right wing manipulates non-conservatives into self-censoring themselves from telling the truth by appealing to their sense of fair play.

Personally I feel this is not the case. I feel that moderates and liberals are saying what they believe is true. But Der Trihs does not share their views on what's true and does not want to concede that the problem may be that his view on what is true is not correct. So he invents a conspiracy that is concealing the truth from everyone. This allows him to rationalize his belief that he is right even when everyone else is saying something different.

This is pretty much the same thing Donald Trump does when he complains about the media posting Fake News about him and his administration.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:17 AM

By and large, I think deference should be given to an OP in terms of what direction he or she wants a thread to be steered in. That isn't to say that people aren't allowed to object, but rather, that if an OP starts a thread about "Let's discuss French pastries" then it's perfectly fair for the mods to intervene if someone wants to hijack the thread in favor of the cooking of beef steaks. The hijacker would have been perfectly free to start a steak-cooking thread elsewhere.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
1. If you post in GQ, you are expected to stick to facts. If you post in GD, you are explicitly inviting competing views on a topic. If you post in IMHO, you are inviting whatever opinions people have. However, in MPSIM, it seems that the Moderators feel that you should be able to set the ground rules for discussion for your own thread. That is, you can start a thread that takes a position, and then declare that any post counter to that position is threadshitting. This last approach is so different than the other subforums that it throws people off. The spirit of most threads here is to allow open, respectful, and sometimes spirited and even blunt discussion, allowing an expression of all viewpoints. It's hard to accept that any particular thread would disallow that, with the blessing of the mods.
If you're arguing that MPSIMS should have the same rules and play as IMHO, then what would make MPSIMS different than IMHO? It would just be a more trivial version of IMHO. It's fair for different forums to have different rules and flavor/style.

Last edited by Velocity; 09-09-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Better still that nobody dies, isn't it?

So many of the posts there (not all, but many) not only rationalize but actually seem to celebrate killings, and their posters refuse to consider how any other resolution might have been possible or desirable. Do you see how it might not be clear to everyone that the word Positive is adequate?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Maybe you could start a thread to debate it.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
By and large, I think deference should be given to an OP in terms of what direction he or she wants a thread to be steered in. That isn't to say that people aren't allowed to object, but rather, that if an OP starts a thread about "Let's discuss French pastries" then it's perfectly fair for the mods to intervene if someone wants to hijack the thread in favor of the cooking of beef steaks. The hijacker would have been perfectly free to start a steak-cooking thread elsewhere.
Would Beef Wellington be a hijack? It includes a puff pastry, but is also a steak.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Maybe you could start a thread to debate it.
How about a thread that is already about "What is Positive Gun News?"

FTR, Beef Wellington is a steak dish that includes pastry, not a pastry dish that includes steak. Glad to help.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 09-09-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, but you see the criminal is the aggressor and the person who instigates. They know the risk, they choose to take it.

So if you'd rather the innocent victim be tortured, raped and or murdered, then....
Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
No, but you see the criminal is the aggressor and the person who instigates. They know the risk, they choose to take it.

So if you'd rather the innocent victim be tortured, raped and or murdered, then....
I'm too...because nowhere was that said, or even implied.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Better still that nobody dies, isn't it?

So many of the posts there (not all, but many) not only rationalize but actually seem to celebrate killings, and their posters refuse to consider how any other resolution might have been possible or desirable. Do you see how it might not be clear to everyone that the word Positive is adequate?
Sure, it's better that the criminal doesn't make the CHOICE to attack someone.

Altho other resolutions are sometimes possible, why should the victim take that risk? It's the criminal who has the real choice- dont do the crime.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I'm too...because nowhere was that said, or even implied.
Sure it was, and you know it.

Why not you guys start a thread and discuss that.

Last edited by DrDeth; 09-09-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure it was, and you know it.
Why don't you stick with what you think you know, because your telepathic skills don't seem to be very accurate.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I actually did understand his point. He was saying that the right wing manipulates non-conservatives into self-censoring themselves from telling the truth by appealing to their sense of fair play.

Personally I feel this is not the case. I feel that moderates and liberals are saying what they believe is true. But Der Trihs does not share their views on what's true and does not want to concede that the problem may be that his view on what is true is not correct. So he invents a conspiracy that is concealing the truth from everyone. This allows him to rationalize his belief that he is right even when everyone else is saying something different.

This is pretty much the same thing Donald Trump does when he complains about the media posting Fake News about him and his administration.
Political debates have become assymetrical, here and elsewhere. Did you really not notice this? Dems, libs, and progressives are bound to an idea of "fairness" that doesn't exist on the right, in argumentation, but also in the real world, at the border, in the climate, and in human rights. The right has abandoned reality publicly and definitively.

Comparing that with fake news claims is ridiculous. The claims are not based on any interpretation of reality.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So if you'd rather the innocent victim be tortured, raped and or murdered
Honestly, what I really want is for the innocent victim to not be staring down the wrong end of a gun.

You see, many of these "positive" stories begin with a criminal pointing a gun at someone, and end with the good guy pointing a gun at the criminal. Many many many more stories that don't meet the "positive" criteria begin and end with a criminal pointing a gun at someone.

One might suggest that the most positive gun story of all is one where nobody has a gun pointed at them.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:

That's not the case here. A single thread of positive gun news is not going to eliminate all of the other threads on gun control where opposing views are common.
People work the refs all over, especially here. You are in a dream land. The whole point of any technique like that would be to make it work in the "neutral" environment, not the hive. You sound like Mark Zuckerberg telling us everything is going to work out great.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Honestly, what I really want is for the innocent victim to not be staring down the wrong end of a gun.

You see, many of these "positive" stories begin with a criminal pointing a gun at someone, and end with the good guy pointing a gun at the criminal. Many many many more stories that don't meet the "positive" criteria begin and end with a criminal pointing a gun at someone.

One might suggest that the most positive gun story of all is one where nobody has a gun pointed at them.
The "positive gun news" in that thread is about vengeance, the death or maiming of a violator/societal loser for revenge-fantasy narcissistic supply.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:04 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
2. PGNOTD is an attempt to prove a point through anecdotal evidence. This is not a scientifically valid method; it is an appeal to emotion and cheerleading. The thread has an underlying agenda of promoting or at least condoning unfettered gun ownership. Of course there are individual cases where a gun has saved lives. That is not an argument for the proliferation of guns, and that is why I for one find the thread disturbing.
Playing Lucifer's Barrister ------ I could claim that every dramatic news story and pretty much all the follow-ups (including threads here at the SDMB) after a shooting happens are nothing but anecdotal evidence and appeals to my emotions to jump on the cheerleading anti-gun bandwagon. Sure there are cases when guns have been used for committing mass murder but that is not an argument for banning certain types of guns or banning all guns. But I guess that is why I happen to like the thread.

I also question that the thread promotes the proliferation of guns. To me it more promotes responsibility for yourself; your personal safety and responsibility for your actions. I haven't noticed any posts there suggesting we roll back to before the 1968GCA or the even earlier initial control acts -- just links to real-world cases. Very few of the stories in my memory even come down against reasonable controls although some do debate what could be called reasonable.

I don't know really. If the thread was more than simple reports of news stories maybe I would find it disturbing to see it somewhat regulated. But how it is played and has played out I think its a worthwhile addition.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:05 PM

So, wait, if I want to start a thread to discuss a political topic, but don't want the usual gang of trolls to come in and threadshit all over it, all I have to do is start it in MPSIMS? I could start a thread about, say, the Bernie Sanders campaign, specify in the OP that only pro-Bernie viewpoints are welcome, and the Mods would actually enforce that? Is that right? Or is this a special rule just for the gun nuts?
Old 09-09-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Read post #76. It explains everything.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As a devout pacifist, I agree. One might.

That'd get one warned, then Banned because of posting that kind of thing into that thread.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
As a devout pacifist, I agree. One might.

That'd get one warned, then Banned because of posting that kind of thing into that thread.

There arent several other gun threads where you can post that? I am sure we have at least three.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:

In the Positive Gun News event I know best, the home invader was unarmed- except he was larger, and was in all likelihood stronger and faster, than my mother. If she hadn't been armed with her .38 S&W there would be nothing "positive" about the story from her point of view.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
There arent several other gun threads where you can post that? I am sure we have at least three.
Guess what?
Nobody is stopping all those "positive" gun stories from being posted in those other threads.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Guess what?
Nobody is stopping all those "positive" gun stories from being posted in those other threads.
To some extent, they would be a hijack. A discussion of what the Founders meant and Thoughts on the 2nd Ad are not really the place to bring those up, unless someone says 'well, no ones life has ever been saved with a gun in the house" .

You start LOTS of threads, and you seem to want people keep to your topic on those threads, do you not?

But not for this thread, eh?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
To some extent, they would be a hijack. A discussion of what the Founders meant and Thoughts on the 2nd Ad are not really the place to bring those up, unless someone says 'well, no ones life has ever been saved with a gun in the house" .

You start LOTS of threads, and you seem to want people keep to your topic on those threads, do you not?

But not for this thread, eh?
I don't believe I've ever started a thread with the instructions that people only tell me what I want to hear, outside of maybe the very recent "Good gun control news" I posted as a test counterpoint to the protected gun thread.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 09-11-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:

Personally I feel this is not the case.
Well, you are wrong; it's literally part of the playbook. The Right knows exactly how their opponents react and have known how to manipulate them that way for decades. It's how they've gotten so fair despite their numerous flaws; all they have to do is mechanically push the right rhetorical buttons and the majority of their opponents will roll right over for them. There's classes and instruction manuals for this sort of thing.

Quote:
No, it means that the moderate and left wingers are enabling evil, because they are so desperate to be "fair" to the right that they will feed the rest of humanity as human sacrifices to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
So, wait, if I want to start a thread to discuss a political topic, but don't want the usual gang of trolls to come in and threadshit all over it, all I have to do is start it in MPSIMS? I could start a thread about, say, the Bernie Sanders campaign, specify in the OP that only pro-Bernie viewpoints are welcome, and the Mods would actually enforce that? Is that right? Or is this a special rule just for the gun nuts?
it's for the Right in general. People have for years here gotten away with pushing things like conservative religion and "race realism" that would get them banned if they used the same tactics for a non right wing position.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 09-11-2019 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't believe I've ever started a thread with the instructions that people only tell me what I want to hear, outside of maybe the very recent "Good gun control news" I posted as a test counterpoint to the protected gun thread.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=881786
Old 09-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I haven't objected to different opinions in that thread being present-wtf are you talking about?
Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I haven't objected to different opinions in that thread being present-wtf are you talking about?
I beg to differ.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I see you shut down the Positive Abortion thread. Is this your policy going forward? Are all Positive News threads trolling?
I was wondering this myself. I'm having a hard time squaring that with the mods' defense of the right of pro-gun people to a 'safe space' of their own.

If I started a "Positive News about Labor Rights and Union Organizing" thread, do I get my thread where only positive things can be said about labor rights and union organizing, or would it be closed like the abortion thread was? Who gets their 'safe space' and who doesn't?
Old 09-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

The Positive abortion news and experiences thread was closed, but the decision was appealed and the thread has been re-opened.

That thread has simply fallen off the front page (depending on your browser settings of course). I suspect the thread is going to be inherently low traffic.

An actual defensive gun use is likely to be a traumatic experience for the people directly involved (however legally and morally justifiable their decision to use a firearm was), but pretty often a DGU is also newsworthy, allowing the rest of us (who weren't directly involved) to re-post and comment on their stories. The decision to have an abortion is a private medical decision, and you rarely get items in the local or national news media about private medical decisions. The number of people willing to share their very personal experiences in a "Positive abortion news and experiences" thread is likely going to be small (and let's face it, the total pool of people who could share such stories isn't very big to begin with; alas, there just aren't that many active Straight Dopers around anymore).

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
Old 09-16-2019, 06:41 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I was wondering this myself. I'm having a hard time squaring that with the mods' defense of the right of pro-gun people to a 'safe space' of their own.
We are not taking sides, one way or the other. All we are doing is asking people to actually stick to the topic of a thread. If that thread upsets you, and you don't even want it to exist, well, you know where the Pit is. Just because it is an upsetting thread doesn't mean that anyone gets a chance to derail or intentionally corrupt it.

The "no threadshitting" rule applies to all threads. This isn't unique to the gun thread. We are not making special rules for that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
If I started a "Positive News about Labor Rights and Union Organizing" thread, do I get my thread where only positive things can be said about labor rights and union organizing, or would it be closed like the abortion thread was? Who gets their 'safe space' and who doesn't?
You can start a thread on any focused topic. If you want to explore only the positive aspects of labor rights, then feel free to start such a thread. Just be clear about exactly what point of view your thread is from (pro-union, I assume), so that it is clear exactly what is considered "positive" and not, and be clear that you are not looking for a debate on the topic. Anyone who posts something "positive" from an anti-union point of view or trying to engage in any sort of labor debate would be off-topic and those types of posts would be moderated. And, of course, those with opposing views are free to create threads of their own, if they so desire.