Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 AM

The issue with moving non-Pit threads to the Pit

In all the non-Pit forums (Elections, IMHO, Cafe, Game, etc.) there is one set of expectations: You can post what you like and you won't be flamed for it. Posters can thus feel freer to express their thoughts without being subjected to verbal abuse for it.

But when moderators proceed to move a non-Pit thread from IMHO or Great Debates to the Pit, then suddenly all of the previous prior comments that were made by Dopers in that thread under one set of expectations, are now subject to Pit flaming and verbal abuse under the Pit's set of expectations.

I don't think this is right. This is something akin to taking things out of context; all of the comments and posts that were made in Forums X under the expectations of Forums X are now being shifted into Forum Y and subjected to the rules and expectation of Forum Y. The whole point of keeping the Pit and the rest of the forum separate is that posters who don't want to wade into the mudfight that is the Pit can stay out of the Pit.

If the mods don't like the direction a thread is going, they can issue warnings that the thread will be closed if the behavior persists, but to shift it to the Pit is not fair to those who posted in the thread with the expectations that it was a non-Pit thread.

The second issue I see with this practice is that, sometimes, 90% of posters in a thread may be behaving themselves, and it's only 10% of posters who are flaming and insulting each other, but a mod will then step in and say, "That's it, moving this thread to the Pit now." Then you've allowed the minority's bad behavior to override the majority's good behavior.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
The second issue I see with this practice is that, sometimes, 90% of posters in a thread may be behaving themselves, and it's only 10% of posters who are flaming and insulting each other, but a mod will then step in and say, "That's it, moving this thread to the Pit now." Then you've allowed the minority's bad behavior to override the majority's good behavior.
Can you point to examples of this? Because I don't think that's usually what happens. If a thread is fine except for a couple of posters, mods will note/warn the offenders and in extreme cases order one or more people not to post in the thread any more.

As to the first issue, if people perceive a problem they can speak up, but in practice I don't think it's bothering anyone. First of all, threads that get moved to the Pit tend to be inflamed from the get-to, so like it or not the Pit is indeed where they belong. A poster who truly finds that objectionable can simply drop out of the thread and not read it any more, and if they want they can start a new thread in a more "civilized" corner of the SDMB. If that won't work because the topic will become heated right away, well then ... the reality is, the topic really does belong in the Pit.

Anyway, what would you suggest when a non-Pit thread generates invective? Just close it? Delete the offending posts? That'll bring howls of protest from a lot of people, and it's a lot more censorial than moving a thread. (Plus, there is a strong tradition here of not deleting posts under almost any circumstances.) Sometimes, there's no one solution that's perfect. But we all manage somehow.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I'm guessing the OP is referring to this thread.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Anyway, what would you suggest when a non-Pit thread generates invective? Just close it? Delete the offending posts? That'll bring howls of protest from a lot of people, and it's a lot more censorial than moving a thread. (Plus, there is a strong tradition here of not deleting posts under almost any circumstances.) Sometimes, there's no one solution that's perfect. But we all manage somehow.
Have mods put in notes that thread will be closed and warnings issued if behavior continues, and then, if it continues, then the thread can be closed. Posts don't have to be deleted.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I'm guessing the OP is referring to this thread.
I see - the OP put a self-described "rant" into GD; naturally it got moved to the Pit. Honestly, any experienced poster contributing to that thread should have known it was only a matter of time until it was moved.

Beyond that, I don't think it is persuasive regarding Velocity's issue. True, he posted early in the thread, while it was still in GD, and then got singled out for some Pit-style commentary after the thread was moved. But, you'll note that the comment in post 28 by septimus isn't even a direct response to Velocity's earlier remark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus
Since we're in the Pit, let me ask fellow Dopers: What is the deal with Velocity? He doesn't come across as a right-winger(*) exactly, but he sure does Just Ask Questions a lot.
That could just as easily have been the OP of a Pit thread specifically created for Velocity. It's not really a thread-specific criticism, so I'm still not seeing the problem.

(Not that I am particularly invested in this discussion; I'm not. I just don't see a lot of evidence to back up Velocity's argument. But if it exists, then by all means a change in policy would be in order.)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

NB: I wasn't trying to supply evidence but rather provide the (possibly) missing link.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
NB: I wasn't trying to supply evidence but rather provide the (possibly) missing link.
For the record, I wasn't making this thread about that thread. Sure, that might be an example, but I already was planning to start a thread in ATMB about this topic beforehand.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:12 AM
Sith Mod

Any post you make anywhere on the board can end up subject to Pit flaming and verbal abuse, regardless of any moderator action.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Extrajudicial

That thread was moved 90 minutes after it started, and after 5 posts replied after the OP. Not exactly a long pedigree.

There have been previous discussions around this idea - one of the threads I wrote this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
I've moved a lot of threads from GD and Elections to the Pit. The most common reason is that they are in fact rants that are placed in the wrong forum. Typically this is done fairly early in the thread. My general approach is that after a thread has gone on past an inconsistent arbitrary length, it can be disruptive to move it at all as the rules per each forum can be different and the difference can be jarring.

That being said, it's context dependent and ultimately the goal is to foster discussion, not stifle it. In some instances that can take the form of closing a thread to ward off potential bad behavior, it could take the form of moving to a more appropriate forum including the Pit, it could take the form of providing constraints to the discussion, etc.
This is still operative.

Last edited by Bone; 09-11-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
In all the non-Pit forums (Elections, IMHO, Cafe, Game, etc.) there is one set of expectations: You can post what you like and you won't be flamed for it. Posters can thus feel freer to express their thoughts without being subjected to verbal abuse for it.

But when moderators proceed to move a non-Pit thread from IMHO or Great Debates to the Pit, then suddenly all of the previous prior comments that were made by Dopers in that thread under one set of expectations, are now subject to Pit flaming and verbal abuse under the Pit's set of expectations.

I don't think this is right. ....

If the mods don't like the direction a thread is going, they can issue warnings that the thread will be closed if the behavior persists, but to shift it to the Pit is not fair to those who posted in the thread with the expectations that it was a non-Pit thread.

I concur, this should never be done.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can you point to examples of this? Because I don't think that's usually what happens. If a thread is fine except for a couple of posters, mods will note/warn the offenders and in extreme cases order one or more people not to post in the thread any more.

..... A poster who truly finds that objectionable can simply drop out of the thread and not read it any more, and if they want they can start a new thread in a more "civilized" corner of the SDMB. ....

Does it matter? Since it has happened and it is a terrible idea.

It still means the angry Pit denizens are going to take advantage and insult you.

Yes, close it, and invite a new thread in the Pit.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Do you believe in predestination? How often do threads get moved to the Pit that weren't destined to end up there from the very beginning?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
It still means the angry Pit denizens are going to take advantage and insult you.
As Miller pointed out previously, these "angry Pit denizens" can, at any time, "take advantage and insult you".
Old 09-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
As Miller pointed out previously, these "angry Pit denizens" can, at any time, "take advantage and insult you".

Not in a thread I participated in.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That thread was moved 90 minutes after it started, and after 5 posts replied after the OP. Not exactly a long pedigree.
Yes, so why not close and invite to re-open in the PIT?

There's never a good reason to move to the Pit.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

When the OP posts something that obviously belongs in the Pit, it should either be closed or moved to the Pit at the Mod's Discretion, in my opinion. If the OP feels that the Pit is beneath her/him, then they should have posted appropriately.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyone can be insulted anywhere at any time. Sure, they'd get moderated outside of the Pit but they can.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-11-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:

Mostly because if someone starts a thread, it indicates they want to discuss something. Closing the thread and requiring someone to go through extra hoops for the simple reason they posted in the wrong forum seems to add unnecessary hurdles to discussion.

This is compounded because we can move threads quite easily. And for the most part, this works. It's always indicated when this happens so readers are aware. It seems that having your name present in a thread that got moved bothers you, but I don't see that as a significant enough issue to change the way we direct traffic.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Which is not a remotely meaningful distinction.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

BTW, I distinctly remember there being complaints of "Why did you close my thread instead of moving it?" in the past.
You just can't win.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:32 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
I see - the OP put a self-described "rant" into GD; naturally it got moved to the Pit. Honestly, any experienced poster contributing to that thread should have known it was only a matter of time until it was moved.

Beyond that, I don't think it is persuasive regarding Velocity's issue. True, he posted early in the thread, while it was still in GD, and then got singled out for some Pit-style commentary after the thread was moved.
That is why I generally tend to drop threads once they get bounced to the Pit. I don't care really -- you can call me anything you wish. But that style of writing just isn't my thing and it would be like trying to respond in a foreign language.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll also point out that "angry Pit denizens" are the same people who are in the other fora.

If you post in threads with the thought "I can say this because they're not allowed to attack me here" you're going about this whole discussion thing the wrong way.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Some people just seem to need their safe spaces, where their aren't subject to the derision they deserve.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

nvm

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:31 PM
SD Curator of Critters

When the OP of a thread says "This is a rant" (as the thread in question did), an experienced poster should consider it likely that it may be moved to our forum for rants, just as they might think that a thread started in GQ that asks "What's your opinion?" just might get moved to IMHO.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

So if a thread was titled "A recipe for disaster", it would be moved to...?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
So if a thread was titled "A recipe for disaster", it would be moved to...?
Since the full name of the forum is the BBQ Pit, I think contentious recipes go there
Old 09-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Since the full name of the forum is the BBQ Pit, I think contentious recipes go there
But disastrous recipes should probably go in Cafe Society.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Troll house cookies, too, if I remember correctly.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mostly because if someone starts a thread, it indicates they want to discuss something. Closing the thread and requiring someone to go through extra hoops for the simple reason they posted in the wrong forum seems to add unnecessary hurdles to discussion.

This is compounded because we can move threads quite easily. And for the most part, this works. It's always indicated when this happens so readers are aware. It seems that having your name present in a thread that got moved bothers you, but I don't see that as a significant enough issue to change the way we direct traffic.
It's not just me, so far no one here has agreed they'd want their thread moved to the PIT.

Perhaps, listen to your customers?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I'll also point out that "angry Pit denizens" are the same people who are in the other fora.

If you post in threads with the thought "I can say this because they're not allowed to attack me here" you're going about this whole discussion thing the wrong way.
To some extent.

If I post in threads because I want some meaningful dialogue and perhaps even thoughtful responses- instead of childish insults, I hope this is the right place.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
It's not just me, so far no one here has agreed they'd want their thread moved to the PIT.

Based on a previous thread on the topic, as well as a poll, and the judgment of the moderation team, I'm comfortable with our current approach.

Last edited by Bone; 09-11-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:

I would. Immediately if not sooner.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:

But that falls into the realm of the old adage about the tree falling in the forest with no one present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Which is not a remotely meaningful distinction.

Sure it is, assuming that moving the thread does not cancel someoneís subscription to it. What if they never voluntarily go to the Pit but they follow their notification to what they think is a non-Pit thread and open it only to find a bunch of vitriolic and vulgar insults hurled at them?

I also think itís asking a lot to expect someone to just abandon a thread they may have created or got heavily involved in some kind of debate within it. Thatís not the same dynamic as when a brand new thread is created.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I also think itís asking a lot to expect someone to just abandon a thread they may have created or got heavily involved in some kind of debate within it. Thatís not the same dynamic as when a brand new thread is created.
Do we have an example of a thread that was moved after a long and serious debate rather than being posted as a rant and moved when a Mod could get there? I am not suggesting it has never happened; I would just like to see an example instead of the hypotheticals being discussed.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Based on a previous thread on the topic, as well as a poll, and the judgment of the moderation team, I'm comfortable with our current approach.
Ok, that is a solid poll. But how many of those people wanted THEIR thread moved to the Pit? I mean, if they wanted it there, they could put it there or if a mistake, just ask a Mod to move it, right?
Old 09-12-2019, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
Do we have an example of a thread that was moved after a long and serious debate rather than being posted as a rant and moved when a Mod could get there? I am not suggesting it has never happened; I would just like to see an example instead of the hypotheticals being discussed.
This. Without an example or two, it's hard for this discussion to get beyond handwaving.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What if they never voluntarily go to the Pit but they follow their notification to what they think is a non-Pit thread and open it only to find a bunch of vitriolic and vulgar insults hurled at them?
This is why I never post anywhere without a set of these bad boys.

A sturdy set of clutching pearls is a must for the forum reader, the set I linked to is good for most insults and blasphemes. However, when you get into hardcore vulgarity like the F word a proper fainting couch is in order. Take it from me, don't go with IKEA for your fainting couch needs, the bolted together joints just can't take the pounding of repeated swoons.

I will also suggest if the only thing preventing vitriol and vulgar insults coming your way is the forum you choose to post in, you maybe need to think about what sort of persona you allow to come through your posts.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:37 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, that is a solid poll. But how many of those people wanted THEIR thread moved to the Pit? I mean, if they wanted it there, they could put it there or if a mistake, just ask a Mod to move it, right?
The logical error is that people own/control the threads they create.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
But that falls into the realm of the old adage about the tree falling in the forest with no one present.
There ya go.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Old 09-12-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Iím sort of a customer. Iím perfectly fine with the current system, which to me appears as follows:
If there is an OP which is in the wrong forum, it gets moved.
If there is a thread which is going off-track, moderating tries to curb the excesses, if that proves not feasible, it gets moved.
I do not see any of the proposed alternates as superior. Boom! One customer vote.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 AM

If I fuck up and post a thread in the wrong forum then yes, I'm quite happy to have the modes move it to where it belongs. That is, after all, one of their primary functions. Duh.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Iím sort of a customer. Iím perfectly fine with the current system, which to me appears as follows:
If there is an OP which is in the wrong forum, it gets moved.
If there is a thread which is going off-track, moderating tries to curb the excesses, if that proves not feasible, it gets moved.
I do not see any of the proposed alternates as superior. Boom! One customer vote.
Another vote in favor of the current situation.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:32 AM

And a third.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
This is a misleading statement, because youíre omitting the fact that the alternative is to close it. If you asked how many people would have ďtheirĒ thread moved rather than closed, Iím certain itís a majority.

If youíre complaining that a thread belonging in the Pit should neither be closed nor moved, tough.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:11 PM

I think it should be closed and the OP (or any interested party) invited to start it again in the Pit if they like.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Some people seem to think so.