Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
In other words, I don't get why Representative Omar is being attacked the way she is. What am I missing here?
I started an IMHO thread in agreement with you.

It's a meme that Trump and the GOP are imbecilic (despite that Trump, Hannity, Ryan etc. probably all have 3-digit IQs). If I write that a Republican initiative is "stupid", is that politically incorrect because it plays to the stereotype of GOP imbecility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
First of all, before declaring Rep. Omar innocent of all charges -- let's remember that she issued what I viewed as a sincere apology for her comments, IIRC the "all about the Benjamins." ... So to assert that she did nothing wrong, when she quite specifically said she caused offense in a way that she regrets, is a non-starter.
One needs to choose one's battles wisely. She realized that her remarks gave some offense, and apologized so that the conversation could move on. Presumably she'll be less flippant in future. But to treat her apology as sincere shame is to misunderstand pragmatism in communication.

Because of their long-time persecutions, especially the Holocaust, I think Jewish sensitivities should be especially respected. But often political correctness becomes absurd. A few years ago there was a thread in BBQ Pit related to the statistical fact that for many decades a large portion of Hollywood studio heads were Jewish. In California, Cambodians often operate doughnut shops; Indians often operate motels; Japanese used to operate plant nurseries. Why did Jews end up operating Hollywood studios? It seemed like an interesting question without any need for "judgment."

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
The following people were all raised as Jews.

Sumner Murray Redstone (né Rothstein), magnate of CBS-Viacom
Jack and Sam Warner, founders of Warner Bros.
Samuel Goldwyn (né Szmuel Gelbfisz)
David Geffen, cofounder of Drreamworks SKG
Steven Spielberg, cofounder of Drreamworks SKG
Jeffrey Katzenberg, cofounder of Drreamworks SKG
Michael Eisner, CEO of Disney
Bob and Harvey Weinstein, founders of Miramax
Joseph M. Schenck, co-founder of 20th Century Pictures
William Fox (né Fried), founder of Fox Films
Adolph Zukor, founder of Paramount
Jesse L. Lasky, co-founder of Paramount
Marcus Loew, founder of MGM
Louis B. Mayer (né Lazar Meir), founder of Mayer Pictures (later MGM)
David O. Selznick, producer of Gone with the Wind
Joel and Ethan Coen, producers of Fargo
Sherry Lansing (née Duhl), CEO of Paramount etc.

I was startled! Almost every click led to "Jewish." The only clicks that didn't were for Darryl F. Zanuck and Cecil B. DeMille; the latter had a Jewish mother.

I draw no inference. But watching the Board pretend Hollywood is not "dominated by Jews" is amusing. [my new emphasis]
I was pounced on from every direction, beginning with

Quote:
Huh. I didn't realize that around a dozen and a half people (some of whom are dead) made every decision in Hollywood.
And then Dopers acted dopey by not seeming to understand that those who founded the big studios almost a century ago would be VERY old now:
Quote:
Apparently dead people can do amazing things! I wonder what else they can do? Cartwheels? Space travel? Mind control?
Ooookay.