Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2017, 06:21 AM

Television episodes that wouldn’t fly today

Inspired by the “songs that wouldn’t fly today” thread, I’m thinking about television episodes that probably would never be made today. For the purpose of this thread, I’m not talking about entire series that would not be made, such as westerns where the theme of every other episode is “the only good injun is a dead injun” (and each bullet shoots 10 of them off their horses and _still_ manages to make a ricochet sound), I mean perfectly “normal” series that would have an occasional episode that is pretty WTF by modern social conventions. (And, I suppose, by “not fly today”, I would have to exclude series that make it a point to push at boundaries as hard as possible, such as Family Guy and South Park.)

A strong example is the episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where Geordi La Forge is kidnapped by a shipful of mentally retarded aliens. Another example is a single episode each of both Andy Griffith and Car 54, Where Are You were based around jokes about Gypsy curses.

So, what other episodes come to mind?