Old 12-06-2018, 10:58 AM

The Network has Becky Lynch hosting a Superstar Picks segment of a match between Dynamite Kid and Tiger Mask. You can see how much those two influenced today's high flyers.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Larry "The Axe" Hennig, father or Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig and grandfather of Curtis Axel (Joe Hennig), has passed away at 82. Only ever saw him on AWA TV, and maybe some early WWWF TV, towards the end of his active career. Mostly I remember him teaming with Curt after Curt had finished his initial jobber tour in WWWF.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Breaking news tonight: Big Cass, who was supposed to wrestle at House of Hardcore tonight, has been rushed to the hospital after having an abrupt seizure backstage.

He hadn't taken any bumps yet in the evening, and Tommy Dreamer says it wasn't drug-related, but nothing else is known yet.

Hopefully he's OK. Seizures are no fun.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:57 PM

Jeez, that's going to kill his career. Who's going to want to book that kind of health risk?
Old 12-09-2018, 02:33 PM

Remembering a line from Mick Foley's autobiography Have a Nice Day, I checked out the Halftime Heat show from 1999 for the first time, watching the WWF Title match between The Rock and Mankind; it was an Empty Arena match, Falls Count Anywhere.

I can certainly see the point of the guy Mick talked to when it first aired: Those cinematic camera angles when Mankind lowered the forklift pallet down onto The Rock, completely took away my suspension of disbelief.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Breaking news tonight: Big Cass, who was supposed to wrestle at House of Hardcore tonight, has been rushed to the hospital after having an abrupt seizure backstage.

He hadn't taken any bumps yet in the evening, and Tommy Dreamer says it wasn't drug-related, but nothing else is known yet.

Hopefully he's OK. Seizures are no fun.
Dreamer says Cass is doing better. Word is that he was already coherent when they loaded him into an ambulance, but no one was taking chances. 20 years ago, he'd have insisted on wrestling and everyone would have been OK with it. Things have improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Jeez, that's going to kill his career. Who's going to want to book that kind of health risk?
WWE knew Roman Reigns had suffered from leukemia. Until they (hopefully) figure out the cause, I'd call it 50/50.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:26 AM

A fan shows JR her tattoo of Vince McMahon

NSFW - she took the "kiss my ass club" literally
Old 12-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
A fan shows JR her tattoo of Vince McMahon

NSFW - she took the "kiss my ass club" literally
Um, you sure that's a woman?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Oh my goodness... you're right. The guy actually showed Lawler the first version some time before.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:17 PM

That video is funny, but I think the exchange the two of you had about the video was even funnier
Old 12-11-2018, 07:51 AM

This is both meta and a cop-out: WWE got Seth Rollins to blame Baron Corbin for the RAW suckfest, and the announcers have been parroting that all night long.

Just call the action and quit making everything a promo. Bezos.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:26 PM

Sweet! Mustafa Ali is on prime time! Good for him. He deserves it.

He's doing for Daniel Bryan what Danial Bryan did to put over the heel of the month.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:34 PM

They flipped the main event. I am way more interested in DB and Ali then I am about a snoozefest between Asuka and Charlotte
Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

We must be watching different shows. Asuka/Charlotte was great; didn't like the disqualification, but neither was going to win or lose clean, so it was expected. And the post-match beatdown was fun.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:54 AM

I wasn't aware that Bryan and Ali were going to fight until, like, an hour after it happened. So now I gotta wait 30 days to see it, argh. Those are two of my favorite guys.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:02 PM

Oh, you didn't miss much. Ali just sold Bryan's holds like he was being tortured to an inch of his life, did a few counters and flips that defied gravity, ate the broadcast table a couple of times and almost killed himself. Your usual Ali match.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, you didn't miss much. Ali just sold Bryan's holds like he was being tortured to an inch of his life, did a few counters and flips that defied gravity, ate the broadcast table a couple of times and almost killed himself. Your usual Ali match.
Yeah, but this time he got to do it against the WWE Champion!
Old 12-12-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
We must be watching different shows. Asuka/Charlotte was great; didn't like the disqualification, but neither was going to win or lose clean, so it was expected. And the post-match beatdown was fun.
I'm a bit of an Asuka hater and absolutely do not see the appeal in her. I'm also souring on Charlotte because I'm beginning to get bored with her schtick, so that match didn't really do anything for me on multiple levels.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I'm a bit of an Asuka hater and absolutely do not see the appeal in her. I'm also souring on Charlotte because I'm beginning to get bored with her schtick, so that match didn't really do anything for me on multiple levels.
My personal opinion of Asuka has soured in recent months after befriending retired Japanese wrestler Kyoko Kimura in another forum. According to her, Asuka has a massive ego, was constantly burying people in Japan and putting herself over everyone else, and once tried to shoot-injure her during a match and end her career early.

Interestingly enough, one of Kimura's trainees, who's also named Asuka, is the first transgender pro wrestler to win a championship, and sounds like a much nicer person.

Last edited by Smapti; 12-12-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Yeah, but this time he got to do it against the WWE Champion!
I would love it if he were promoted to SD, even if it's as Jobber to the Stars. I could see Ali putting on stellar matches with Nakamura, Orton, Cesaro, Miz, Luke Harper, and versus Jeff Hardy in a 30-ft ladder match. Not only is his work rate magnificent, he can make even the most jaded smark cheer him like a 5-year old.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:15 AM

No comments on TLC? Have we given up THAT quickly? I'm hoping to catch up on it this week (I was working last weekend) but it's interesting to see no one here made a comment on it
Old 12-17-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
No comments on TLC? Have we given up THAT quickly? I'm hoping to catch up on it this week (I was working last weekend) but it's interesting to see no one here made a comment on it
They were discussing it on Busted Open; the main argument was, was the pop Asuka got when she won bigger than the one Becky would have gotten had she retained?
But I can see why they went this way; this opens the door for Becky to win the Women's Royal Rumble, then crossover to challenge Ronda Rousey for the Raw title (possibly as the main event) at WrestleMania. I can also see this happening: (a) Becky wins; (b) she decides to stay on SmackDown, and possibly unify the women's belts (do they really need two of them?); (c) Rousey decides to move from Raw, just in time for the move to Fox in October.

And I am glad to see that somebody finally figured out that a No DQ match means you can turn it into a de facto handicap match.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:50 PM

TLC just felt phony to me, like WWE is trying to satisfy hard-core fans with G-rated violence. It's like billing Conan the Barbarian and getting He-Man.

I did like the Asuka/Charlotte/Lynch match. I would have liked the Bryan/Styles match more if it wasn't so obvious Bryan was going to win. Any match with ND is going to have those fucking pancakes, so yawn.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:31 AM

Guess what everybody? Vince finally listened to us! He knows we want all McMahons all the time! Now all 4 of them are going to host both shows and they're going to take up more air time! Isn't that great? Who cares about stupid wrestling anyway? We want to see the McMahons assert authority and make 15 minute promos and constantly remind us they control the reins. It's what we always wanted!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Guess what everybody? Vince finally listened to us! He knows we want all McMahons all the time! Now all 4 of them are going to host both shows and they're going to take up more air time! Isn't that great? Who cares about stupid wrestling anyway? We want to see the McMahons assert authority and make 15 minute promos and constantly remind us they control the reins. It's what we always wanted!
Just wait until Vince's grandchildren end up playing characters on TV and start feuding over who's parents deserve to take control of the WWE.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 PM

<six months later>

Goddamn, Vince is looking old. I also notice that he's at least an inch shorter than Miz, who is 6'1" but billed as 6'2", and Vince used to be billed as the same height.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 AM

Hey Chi, welcome back!

It looks like they're keeping Mustafa on SD! He teamed with AJ vs Bryan and Andrade, worked about 75% of the match, and got the pin on Bryan. I guess he'll work with Andrade next.

I suspect the McMahons put their foothold in SD so that they'll be grandfathered in when FOX takes over. Vince does look like he lost some bulk, or they took padding out of his suit.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I suspect the McMahons put their foothold in SD so that they'll be grandfathered in when FOX takes over. Vince does look like he lost some bulk, or they took padding out of his suit.
"When Fox takes over"? You make it sound like Vince sold Smackdown to Fox.

It was just a deal to show Smackdown on the Fox network, wasn't it? I seriously doubt Vince would have agreed to anything that would have given anybody other than himself even a slight amount of control over anything other than scheduling the show - for example, Fox will have to pre-empt it on 10/25 for World Series Game 3.

Fox can "suggest" things, like, "Put Ronda Rousey on Smackdown," but in the end, that should still be Vince's call.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:40 PM

The reason I think Vince might be digging a toehold into FOX is because they're already making it known they want to focus on the sports aspect of wrestling and aren't up for angles so much. That means no silly skits or gimmick matches, which I'm sure Vince will try to circumvent. With more of a focus on the athletes, he and his won't get as much of the spotlight.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

This whole thing is just typical desperation from Vince & co. - take something that worked in the '90s (in this case, MOAR MCMAHONS) and rehash it until you run it into the ground. No doubt it's going to lead to the typical family drama and probably some kind of "A McMahon in every corner" match at 'Mania.

In other news, WWE already taped next week's Raw and Smackdown due to the holiday, and here's a big spoiler for Smackdown;

SPOILER:
Rusev wins the US title from Nakamura! Our Christmas present is that it's Rusev Day once more.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
This whole thing is just typical desperation from Vince & co. - take something that worked in the '90s (in this case, MOAR MCMAHONS) and rehash it until you run it into the ground. No doubt it's going to lead to the typical family drama and probably some kind of "A McMahon in every corner" match at 'Mania.

In other news, WWE already taped next week's Raw and Smackdown due to the holiday, and here's a big spoiler for Smackdown;

SPOILER:
Rusev wins the US title from Nakamura! Our Christmas present is that it's Rusev Day once more.
I think we're judging "the new era of WWE" WAY too soon. There's no REAL indication that it's going to be all McMahons all the time, and Trips even said there's going to be more of what we want including callups and matchups. It's been a whopping one episode per show and, frankly, with what happened in the spoiler, it's something we all want.

Let's at least give it a month or so before we start immediately assuming everything is bad.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The reason I think Vince might be digging a toehold into FOX is because they're already making it known they want to focus on the sports aspect of wrestling and aren't up for angles so much. That means no silly skits or gimmick matches, which I'm sure Vince will try to circumvent. With more of a focus on the athletes, he and his won't get as much of the spotlight.
In other words, turn it into the 1980s syndicated WWF Championship Wrestling/Superstars shows, but with B-level wrestlers in place of the jobbers.

To paraphrase Tony Schiavone, "That'll put asses in front of the TVs."
Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 PM

As I saw mentioned on Reddit--Baron Corbin was so bad at the GM job he managed to get Paige fired. So they're going away from the GM format, and I guess that doesn't have to mean McMahon's on TV making all the decisions all the time, but I'm not sure how else they'll do it.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:14 AM

I just get cynical in my old age because I remember when the McMahons were booking themselves over the talent constantly, and it's hard for me to believe leopards can change their spots. Maybe HHH convinced them the NXT model works, when the authority figure steps in for only a minute to resolve conflicts and make announcements for future matches. NXT UK's GM hardly says or does anything. He's just a figurehead from the past generation of UK wrestlers.

Corbin was really just the McMahons' ventriloquist dummy. His job was to get heel heat, but he's not a good "face" for the company and ratings went down. They used him as a scapegoat when the audience got more pissed at the shitty booking. If their takeover announcement really means "we're not going to impose ourselves as much as we used to," I'm all for that.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
In other words, turn it into the 1980s syndicated WWF Championship Wrestling/Superstars shows, but with B-level wrestlers in place of the jobbers.

To paraphrase Tony Schiavone, "That'll put asses in front of the TVs."
that was eric bischoff and superstars did have the gimmick skits like the barber shop ,brother love pipers pit ..

This sounds like a Saturday night main event type of show .which the wwe needs more of
Old 12-22-2018, 07:29 PM

Sarah Logan and Raymonde Rowe had a Viking wedding

SKOL!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:37 AM

There's only one solution to WWE's woes and Vince won't hear it.

Because the answer is to stop booking the shows for Vince's tastes and ideas. For Christ's sake he's a 73 year old man who works so many hours micromanaging WWE that he has no idea what modern culture is about because he barely experiences it ...and he's 73 fucking years old!
Old 12-25-2018, 08:34 PM

Just watched the 1997 Great American Bash on the WWE Network, and I loved the Chris Benoit vs. Meng; Ric Flair and Rowdy Piper vs. The Outsiders; and especially DDP vs. Randy Savage matches. (The latter was Falls Count Anywhere).
Old 12-26-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Just watched the 1997 Great American Bash on the WWE Network, and I loved the Chris Benoit vs. Meng; Ric Flair and Rowdy Piper vs. The Outsiders; and especially DDP vs. Randy Savage matches. (The latter was Falls Count Anywhere).
You mean, I'm not the only one with the "Christmas night tradition" of a PPV? Mine was ECW November to Remember 1998.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Wrestle Kingdom is next week!

Here's the card;

* IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kenny Omega (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
* IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
* Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White
* IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Taiji Ishimori
* IWGP United States Championship: Cody Rhodes (c) vs. Juice Robinson
* IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Bullet Club (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) (c) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Sanada & EVIL) vs. the Young Bucks
* RPW British Heavyweight Championship: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
* IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Suzuki-gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado) (c) vs. Roppongi 3K vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Bushi and Shingo Takagi)
* NEVER Openweight Championship: Kota Ibushi (c) vs. Will Ospreay

The pre-show will be featuring a 5-team gauntlet match to determine a #1 contender for the NEVER Openweight Trios Championship, which will be contested the night after Wrestle Kingdom.

If the rumors are true that Cody & company are planning on launching their own promotion this year, then I'd expect him, Omega, and the Bucks to lose their matches. Tanahashi is pretty long in the tooth at this point, but he can still go, and IMO he's capable of pulling off one more run as the ace before passing the torch to someone like Naito. Jericho vs. Naito is a rematch from when Y2J won the title back at Dominion, and it could go either way. Okada vs. Jay White is a potential show-stealer, especially now that White has been named the new leader of Bullet Club after the Elite's departure. ZSJ is likely to win his match, as it'll put Revolution over in a big way and expand NJPW's appeal to the British wrestling fan.

If you have New Japan World, the show starts around 2:30 AM Eastern/11:30 Pacific on the morning of January 4th/evening of January 3rd. I'm not sure what AXS' rebroadcast plans are for this year, but they'll likely be showing it in installments over three or four weeks as well.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:22 PM

Smapti, having never watched New Japan Pro Wrestling myself, would you say that one of the promotion's current storylines is a desperation to get the World Heavyweight, Intercontinental, and U.S. Championships off of the gaijins?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Smapti, having never watched New Japan Pro Wrestling myself, would you say that one of the promotion's current storylines is a desperation to get the World Heavyweight, Intercontinental, and U.S. Championships off of the gaijins?
If anything, they've got more gaijin champions than they've ever had and it's by design. The new CEO, Harold Meij, is Dutch-born and has been working in Japan since the '90s, and Bushiroad (NJPW's parent company) brought him in specifically to drum up interest outside of Japan. That's been the impetus behind their running shows in the US and co-promoting ROH shows, creating the US title, and the heavy emphasis on Bullet Club (which is mostly white guys and Tongans with one or two Japanese members) as a top stable for so many years.

The Elite (Cody, the Young Bucks, and Kenny) are relortedly opening their own promotion in 2019 as an expansion of what they did at All In, which is probably why they're all likely to drop their titles. Jericho is a free agent and can basically work anywhere he wants right now, and he's a legend in Japan, so what happens with him is anyone's guess.

As far as the US title goes, I'll be surprised if it's ever not a gaijin holding it - all four champs so far, being Kenny, Jay White, Juice, and Cody, have been Americans or Canadians.

Last edited by Smapti; 12-27-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
You mean, I'm not the only one with the "Christmas night tradition" of a PPV? Mine was ECW November to Remember 1998.
You know, while I was watching it, I never thought of that. I think this is the first time I've had the WWE Network on a Christmas Day.

WCW was the promotion that I first watched; I left with Chris Jericho, and later The Radicalz.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
You know, while I was watching it, I never thought of that. I think this is the first time I've had the WWE Network on a Christmas Day.
I have had it since pretty much when it started, but I don't remember Christmas night wrestling really being a "thing" in the Northern California NWA territory. Thanksgiving night, yes - there was a card in Sacramento every year - but not really Christmas.

I didn't really associate Christmas with wrestling until an episode of Busted Open when somebody - I can't remember if it was the host or a wrestler - mentioned how he would want Christmas dinner to end early so he could go to the wrestling matches that night.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:12 PM

WCCW held some of their "Wrestling Star Wars" events on Christmas. I presume they're on the Network, if I ever get it, I want to watch them just to see if I can figure out which one of them my Dad took me to when I was a kid (I've looked up the lists of matches, but they don't jog my memory at all).
Old 12-28-2018, 11:59 PM

wwe needs some cheap pops …...its gonna be cena on raw for new years bay https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jo...4zl?li=BBnbfcL
Old 12-29-2018, 07:46 AM

I've spent a little time on the WWE Network watching the two shows I remember seeing live. (Easy enough to find them, because they both contained title changes). They both took place in Indianapolis. The October 8, 2001 edition of RAW was excellent, concluding with Stone Cold winning his very last WWE Championship, against Kurt Angle. By contrast, the November 8, 1999 edition of Nitro... Jesus, it's horrible. They booked a match between Sting and Goldberg for the top of the second hour, and then it lasted less than three minutes. The segments in which David Flair stalked Kimberly were cumulatively longer than that. That Nitro's not good if you're one of those who actually enjoys wrestling.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:56 AM

<Nevermind; double post>

Last edited by ekedolphin; 12-29-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
WCCW held some of their "Wrestling Star Wars" events on Christmas. I presume they're on the Network, if I ever get it, I want to watch them just to see if I can figure out which one of them my Dad took me to when I was a kid (I've looked up the lists of matches, but they don't jog my memory at all).
I was going to say that they didn't have that many WCCW shows on the network, but apparently it's been a while since I looked; they have pretty much every episode from the start of 1982 through October, 1988. They don't have the PPV-level big shows, however - did WCCW even have PPVs? I don't think nationwide wrestling PPVs didn't start until 1987, which is when WCCW apparently had its last Christmas Day Star Wars show.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I've spent a little time on the WWE Network watching the two shows I remember seeing live. (Easy enough to find them, because they both contained title changes). They both took place in Indianapolis. The October 8, 2001 edition of RAW was excellent, concluding with Stone Cold winning his very last WWE Championship, against Kurt Angle. By contrast, the November 8, 1999 edition of Nitro... Jesus, it's horrible. They booked a match between Sting and Goldberg for the top of the second hour, and then it lasted less than three minutes. The segments in which David Flair stalked Kimberly were cumulatively longer than that. That Nitro's not good if you're one of those who actually enjoys wrestling.
I remember Nitro had a real stinker of a storyline with Bret Hart. He appeared on a sketch on Mad TV, so they decided to make an angle out of it. It led to Hart having a 30-minute match with some fat guy from the show. WCW paid all that moolah to snag Bret Hart from Vince, then had him work a cross-promotion match that sure as hell didn't increase ratings with a noticeable amount of Mad TV viewers. Bischoff was way too desperate to bring in mainstream celebrities.