Old 12-30-2018, 07:22 PM

wccw usually had national cards with the nwa for a few years and they just missed the ppv era by a year or two
Old 01-01-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I remember Nitro had a real stinker of a storyline with Bret Hart. He appeared on a sketch on Mad TV, so they decided to make an angle out of it. It led to Hart having a 30-minute match with some fat guy from the show. WCW paid all that moolah to snag Bret Hart from Vince, then had him work a cross-promotion match that sure as hell didn't increase ratings with a noticeable amount of Mad TV viewers. Bischoff was way too desperate to bring in mainstream celebrities.
Yeah, the guy's name was Will Sasso, and that's the only thing I know him from.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:32 PM

Hmmm, it appears that Dish Network lost El Rey sometime after the end of the last LU season. Another reason to not cord cut removed, I guess (though Dish does appear to get the crappy network Impact is about to move to--somehow they keep managing to find more and more obscure networks to move to...)
Old 01-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

It's been rumored for awhile now, but it was officially announced today; Cody Rhodes is launching his own promotion, All Elite Wrestling, with the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars providing the financial backing. Not much was announced today aside from the name and that the first AEW show will be called "Double or Nothing", but there's a press conference set for next Monday which is expected to offer up a lot more information.

All In was certainly a well-produced and entertaining show, so I'm interested in seeing what Cody can do as a full-time promoter. Dusty would be proud.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
It's been rumored for awhile now, but it was officially announced today; Cody Rhodes is launching his own promotion, All Elite Wrestling, with the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars providing the financial backing. Not much was announced today aside from the name and that the first AEW show will be called "Double or Nothing", but there's a press conference set for next Monday which is expected to offer up a lot more information.

All In was certainly a well-produced and entertaining show, so I'm interested in seeing what Cody can do as a full-time promoter. Dusty would be proud.
He's apparently doing some kind of rally for it or announcements or something this coming Monday (I think...I'm too lazy to look). It's weird they'd announce it with so little fanfare without any real semblance of a roster or (most importantly) a TV deal in place
Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I don’t participate in this thread since I’m an old school territory fan, but I just saw that former WWE announcer Mean Gene Okerlund has passed away. I’m sure many of you in this thread are familiar with him. RIP.

https://twitter.com/wwe/status/1080488900890628101?s=21

Last edited by dalej42; 01-02-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:52 AM

That's a tough one because he was still active on the Network/TV.

It was cute at the time, but Legends House is going to look really sad here in a year or three...
Old 01-02-2019, 11:15 AM

Aw man, Gene Mean (as the Iron Shiek called him) was the best!

He used to host a Saturday afternoon show on USA network. It was usually a recap of the week's matches, but he threw in some corny jokes and bits to stir things up a little. He used to have a segment where he'd call a female celebrity and pretend to have an intimate conversation with her, then act like he didn't realize he was on the air. "Yes Tammy Faye, I do like the black hose. Oh yes, the red garter belt is nice too. You know what I really like? Oh! (looks at camera) You didn't hear any of that did you? (to phone) Call you back."

RIP Gene Okerlund
Old 01-02-2019, 12:51 PM

MEEEEEEEAAAAaaan, by GOD, GENE!

How he kept it together during those cocaine fueled Macho Man and Nature Boy interviews is beyond me.

I remember him from the AWA to the WWF to WCW and back to WWE. Truly the best!
Old 01-02-2019, 01:32 PM

My favorite Mean Gene moment was when he interviewed Hulk Hogan just after he joined with The Outsiders.

"Look at all this crap that's being thrown in the ring! This is what awaits you!"

Then Hogan gets this 'a-ha!' look in his eyes and replies, "As far as I'm concerned, all this crap in the ring represents these fans out here!" Good ad-lib, if ad-lib it was.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:46 PM

RIP Mean Gene.

Fan of his since his AWA days.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

An iconic voice. He and Bobby Heenan could make anyone laugh at any time. So many faces from my past gone today; "Captain" Daryl Dragon (The Captain and Tenille), Bob "Super Dave" Einstein, and of course, Mean Gene. All 76. Not a good start for the year.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:57 PM

Heenan: "Repo Man! Last week, the guy repo'd his own car. This man is nuts!"
Okerlund: "About five years ago, he got my mother-in-law's."
Heenan: "About four years ago, everyone got your mother-in-law."
Okerlund: [maniacal laughter]

They're both gone now. It's sad.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:08 AM

As a kid I chuckled at the goofy little guy trapped between those gigantic men. Poor guy. Of all the places in the world to be!
Years later, I recognized that many times Gene is the one that kept things going in the right direction.
He played his part so well, and the wrestlers fed off that. Can you imagine if Hogan was standing there and not going "Well you know Mean Gene! (start rant)"
Or him setting up Hart, Macho or any of the others?

He was as much part of WWF's golden era and Rock-n-Wrestle as the wrestlers themselves.

Now I want to call the WCW hotline for the latest news on the nWo....
Old 01-03-2019, 11:18 AM

Rumor of the day: Chris Jericho is one of the competitors on The Masked Singer, which might make sense if he still has any ties (or wants to remake them) with WWE, what with Smackdown moving to Fox in October. IIRC, Vince let him have it with both barrels when he hosted a game show on ABC while the WWE had some deal with NBC at the time.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:09 PM

WWE has voting for end of 2018 NXT awards, but it requires Twitter. I don't use Twitter, and never want to. Is there a quick emulator I can use?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:44 AM

Anyone catch Wrestle Kingdom? If not track down the Jericho/Naito and Omega/Tanahashi matches. Two 5 star classics. I don’t like how Meltzer hands out 5+ star ratings on occasion but I could see doing it for Omega v. Tanahashi. And Jericho still brings it after three decades in the business. Definitely worth your time to see these matches.

WWE wishes they could put out matches like these.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

WWE could put out matches like these, but doesn't. NXT comes closest, but they don't get the time these two matches had.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
[snip]
WWE wishes they could put out matches like these[/snip].
The worst part is that with their roster, they could.
[rant from an old territory guy] I keep up with WWE through YouTube videos and stuff like this thread. I have Hulu and stopped watching the WWE shows last year.
All the major feds over the years have made the same mistake; thinking that the initials are more important than the wrestlers.
I didn't turn on TBS at 3:05 (PST) because NWA or Georgia Championship Wrestling was on. I turned it on because I got to find out if Dusty Rhodes finally got over on that snake, Tully Blanchard. What evil things did The Road Warriors do? Even though the Midnight Express were “cheaters,” did they deserve THAT level of brutality?
The squashes weren't that entertaining but they weren't meant to be. The TV shows were just an ad (aah trayluur, if ya will) for the live shows.
So, now the TV show is the thing, how do you replace squash matches with competitive matches that aren't part of an angle?
Just an idea; give every belt a “top ten.” Every belt has nine people directly under them and the top five can challenge the belt holder, OR anybody in the top ten can challenge above them for their spot. No personal feuds, but lots of matches.
Sorry for the rant - DESK[/rant from an old territory guy]
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 AM

Old Territory Guy, you should look up Jim Cornette's podcasts on YouTube. He hates modern-day wrestling as well and frequently talks about the good old days.

He has plenty of anecdotes about what went on behind-the-scenes in GCW, Mid-Atlantic, Mid-South, and WCCW. He said the GCW jobbers were from Alabama wrestling. They'd all get in a van and drive over to the TBS studios to get their asses whupped by the Road Warriors and the Steiners. He has stories about the infamous scaffolding match between the ME and RWs, and how Dusty booked it, including how Cornette was supposed to be caught by Bug Bubba after he dropped from the scaffolding, but Bubba couldn't see because of his Secret Service sunglasses and missed him.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:18 AM

Going to experience a bit of FOMO tonight as RAW is in Orlando and I'm not going.

A bit more disappointed than usual because Hogan is making an appearance and that'd be cool to see him, but RAW is a slog to get through on a normal day and I just don't want to be getting home at midnight/12:30...
Old 01-08-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.E.S.K.Top668 View Post
I didn't turn on TBS at 3:05 (PST) because NWA or Georgia Championship Wrestling was on. I turned it on because I got to find out if Dusty Rhodes finally got over on that snake, Tully Blanchard.
Speaking of Dusty and Tully, Baby Doll (that...that...she's a...JEZEBEL) was on Busted Open recently, and the host wanted her to reveal just what was in "the envelope" she gave Dusty back in the day, but, in part because Tommy Dreamer (who claims Dusty told him how that angle was supposed to be resolved) told her not to on the air, she wouldn't say.

The quick version: back in 1988, Baby Doll, who was now Larry Zybysko's valet, tried to blackmail Dusty with a photograph inside of a manila envelope, which she would make public if Dusty didn't give Zybysko a US title shot, but when Baby Doll was fired (offstage) by WCW, they dropped the angle by having Dusty remind everybody that, in 1985, a stipulation in a match he had with Tully said that Dusty would get Baby Doll for "thuddy daze" (this happened; a week or two after the match, they had a bit where Dusty made Baby Doll work at a horse ranch, but when he let her actually get on a horse, she rode off).
Old 01-08-2019, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

So the biggest news from today's AEW rally is that their next PPV, "Double or Nothing", will be emanating from the MGM Grand in Vegas on May 25th.

Chris Jericho and PAC (formerly Adrian Neville) have been announced as signees along with most of the Elite regulars, with Billy Gunn being announced as a producer. No news on Kenny Omega, who's declared that he's officially done with New Japan but reportedly has a huge offer on the table from WWE.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:17 AM

Just saw that news and holy shit, those are some great signings. Vince is probably pissed.

I'm really hoping those guys can make a go of this.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:18 AM

Rumor has it that Omega wants to retain creative control, but WWE don't play dat. Maybe he's using Brock Lesnar's tactic and waiting to see if Cody offers him more money.

Mustafa Ali pwns SD again. He was in a blow-off match tagging with Rey Mysterio vs Samoa Joe and Andrade Cien Almas. Mus ate the announcer's table again, defied gravity, got off his signature finisher on Joe, and otherwise made the match fucking amazing. Maybe WWE will start promoting him more at the start of the show instead of having Daniel Bryan do his unhinged activist schtick.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Juxtaposition of seeing Billy Gunn on the E&C show last night and hearing he signed with AEW. I guess he won't be appearing for WWE again anytime soon.

I wonder if they'll be signing his son (Austin Sopp, aka Austin Gunn). "September 1, 2018 – ALL IN Zero Hour: Austin Gunn was in the #1 contenders battle royal for the ROH World title won by Chico El Luchador (Flip Gordon)."
Old 01-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
So the biggest news from today's AEW rally is that their next PPV, "Double or Nothing", will be emanating from the MGM Grand in Vegas on May 25th.

Chris Jericho and PAC (formerly Adrian Neville) have been announced as signees along with most of the Elite regulars, with Billy Gunn being announced as a producer. No news on Kenny Omega, who's declared that he's officially done with New Japan but reportedly has a huge offer on the table from WWE.
They also signed Christopher Daniels' group (whatever it's called) and also Mrs...er...Doctor Adam Cole Bay-Bay in Britt Baker and finally they seemed to indicate they had a deal with a Chinese company (which should make Trips kinda mad)

A wrestling twitter that is, according to my facebook group, usually right about these things, says Kenny is waiting until his contract runs out on the 31st and then will sign with AEW.

I wasn't necessarily underwhelmed by the event, but I was hoping for a tad more. I mean, other than saying "we're going to pay a lot" and "women will get equal pay to the men" they didn't announce much of anything else that could really threaten to shake up wrestling. No TV deal announced and barely any roster aside frm the obvious ones and Jericho.

My prediction is most of the Impact/Lucha Underground roster is going to make appearances in the promotion and when all is said and done AEW is going to be no bigger/better than PWG or Defy or any of those
Old 01-10-2019, 06:57 AM

I did like that pic of PAC and Adam Page giving each other a staredown. Those two will tear up the ring. Page could be the next Shawn Michaels if he was cockier.

Has anybody tried watching Impact on Twitch? It's supposed to be free, but I'm sure they'll want me to disable my ad blocker.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I did like that pic of PAC and Adam Page giving each other a staredown. Those two will tear up the ring. Page could be the next Shawn Michaels if he was cockier.

Has anybody tried watching Impact on Twitch? It's supposed to be free, but I'm sure they'll want me to disable my ad blocker.
Ever since they left Orlando I'm boycotting Impact
Old 01-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Twitch has never seemed to care about ad blockers (and I'd be surprised if it's even configurable to check for ad blockers on an individual channel level). Twitch (and streamers) get most of their revenue through subscriptions and donations.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Ever since they left Orlando I'm boycotting Impact
hehe I am too because my cable package didn't carry Pop and doesn't carry Pursuit.

I still wonder how they're holding up though. They should have died years ago but somehow they're still around.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

It's being reported that Lars Sullivan was supposed to work a dark match on Raw this week, but suffered a panic attack and flew home early.

Panic attacks run in my family and they suck - my mother nearly got herself killed once when she had one while working as a telemarker, and ran out of the building and into traffic, and I've had them at my job for no apparent reason I can put my finger on. I can see how being about to work in front of such a large crowd for the first time could trigger one. I hope he's able to overcome this hardship and make it to the big time.

Last edited by Smapti; 01-11-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:20 PM

I've suffered panic attacks before as well. I hope Lars will be okay, and I hope that WWE won't judge him too harshly. I'm not sanguine about how they've treated people with mental illnesses in the past, though. Didn't JBL bully Mauro Renello?
Old 01-12-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Takeover: Blackpool was a pretty solid show. The opening tag titles match and the UK championship match were both amazing, and WALTER's appearance at the end was a great way to set up Pete Dunne's next feud.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:07 PM

Yeah, that was good. I just finished watching it on the Network.

Opening tag match was my favorite.
Storm-Ripley was marred by going to the exhausted flailing spot too many times.

Knew nothing about Walter, so I looked him up. Impressive dude.

Since watching NXT UK, one of my life goals is now to go to one of those shows and sit in one of the balconies of these ballrooms they use.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Knew nothing about Walter, so I looked him up. Impressive dude.
FTR, it's "WALTER", spelled in all caps.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:00 PM

I too beheld NKY: UK Takeover and liked the tag match and UK championship match. I had no idea who WALTER was. I thought he looked like a brawler type, but that superkick he give Coffee looked pretty sharp.

I like that there's no pretty boys in NXT: UK, except for maybe Tyler Bate. They're bearded, disfigured, tatooed, pot bellied, got crooked teeth, and could scare the ugly off an ape. The audience does their soccer/football chants, and I have to google their irony.

I'm glad WWE acknowledged that Nigel McGuiness actually worked for RoH and Impact, but I thought his lavish devotion to WWE was a bit phony. I'm glad he managed to recover from having to retire from action. He had some tough breaks. They showed some behind-the-scenes footage of him planning broadcasts with Mauro, as well as him talking shop with the UK wrestlers. He truly bled for the cause.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I too beheld NKY: UK Takeover and liked the tag match and UK championship match. I had no idea who WALTER was. I thought he looked like a brawler type, but that superkick he give Coffee looked pretty sharp.
I've only seen bits of his matches on YouTube, but Jim Cornette absolutely loves him, and it takes a lot to get that old codger interested in a modern-day wrestler, so I'm optimistic.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I've only seen bits of his matches on YouTube, but Jim Cornette absolutely loves him, and it takes a lot to get that old codger interested in a modern-day wrestler, so I'm optimistic.
I wonder how Cornette likes Eddie Dennis? I was kind of "eh" about him at first, but he's grown on me. Before his match with Massive Dave Mastiff, he said in his promo "I had an undefeated record prior to my match with Dave Mastiff and he RUINED it!" I thought it was funny, because it was so prissy.

I think he should shift more to his educational background and be like the cruel headmaster from Pink Floyd's The Wall. But, NXT: UK has so far stayed away from cartoonish angles, so better not rock the boat.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Braun Strowman is now out of the title match with BORK LASER because REASONS, and Finn Balor has taken his place.

Finn vs. Brock should logically be a one-sided squash, but with the rumors I've been reading that Brock has no intention of working WrestleMania, this could be Finn's big moment. If he shows up for the match as the Demon, he's definitely winning.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM

I remember reading that Braun had some heat backstage because he's frequently late. Plus, they already have a champion who has less than 5 years actual wrestling experience, and Braun's more of an Andre the Giant type of attraction. At least Cena put Finn over, for now.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Finn vs. Brock should logically be a one-sided squash
By the same logic, Rey Mysterio should never have beaten Big Show.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Braun Strowman is now out of the title match with BORK LASER because REASONS, and Finn Balor has taken his place.

Finn vs. Brock should logically be a one-sided squash, but with the rumors I've been reading that Brock has no intention of working WrestleMania, this could be Finn's big moment. If he shows up for the match as the Demon, he's definitely winning.
Why would Brock not work WrestleMania? Also, do you know if he has a creative control clause in his contract?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:28 AM

Brock is always using his UFC ties as leverage in negotiating his contracts with WWE. WWE usually decides they'd rather, to paraphrase LBJ, "have him in the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in." I'm sure Brock isn't going to refuse a WM payday. He's just holding out until they add an extra 0 or two.

I remember after Dean Ambrose worked a match with Les, he offhandedly said he had to contend with the laziness. I gather if Brock doesn't want to do something, WWE doesn't really have any valid threats or incentives to change his mind. Having Paul Heyman at his side to draw more heat is a big plus as well. As long as Brock brings in the money, they're going to keep him as champ until they think somebody else will be a better draw. Supposedly, that's what they have in mind with Seth Rollins.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 AM

I hate to say it, but I hope WWE asked Brock who he'd like to face and the answer was Finn and that's why this is happening. I hate to say it because I hate the thought that someone would have that much power of negotiation, but to Knowed Out's point, a lazy Brock is a bad Brock. On the other hand, an invested Brock can put on some truly great matches.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Supposedly, it was always the plan to sub-out Braun Strohman. The reason I've heard for the swerve is that Vinnie Mac felt Braun would sell more tickets. Now, if I was in charge of booking giving this planning, I would have done a better job of putting over Balor since this was decided, but that's not how WWE works these days. Better to go with 50/50 booking until 1-2 weeks before the announcement...amIright?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

The Revival have reportedly asked for their release, and I can't say I blame them. They've been stuck in midcard hell ever since Vince fed them to DX and killed their momentum. I expect they'll sign with AEW and tear it up with the Young Bucks.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Best thing The Revival could do. Hope The Good Brothers and even Ascension follow.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:46 PM

The Ascension have been in the same boat ever since Vince fed them to the nWo, The New Age Outlaws, and the APA. I'm sensing a pattern here.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
The Ascension have been in the same boat ever since Vince fed them to the nWo, The New Age Outlaws, and the APA. I'm sensing a pattern here.
Why, it's almost as if burying your up-and-comers by jobbing them to retired nostalgia acts in their 50s is bad for their heat!

The Kanellises are also reportedly asking for their release, but their case is different - they never had enough heat to get buried in the first place, and it always felt like WWE only signed them to make sure New Japan or Impact couldn't get them. I can see them winding up in AEW too.