Old 01-15-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Well, yes, Andy L, but you know all of these, and are usually the one getting the answers.

And more detail on Mushroom Planet, the ship the boys built was made out of wood, but the alien they met paints over it with some sort of resin that cures into an ultra-strong and airtight material. IIRC, he had put out an ad in the newspaper asking for help from someone who could build him a rocket.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Id this fiendish story!

A man is sculpting a giant mushroom into a woman. As the job is finished, either the sculptor or a friend of his sees this beautiful fungoid woman, and throws himself at her, biting into her flesh. . . and promptly dying. Poor guy. . . she was actually a toadstool!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Luana by Gilbert Thomas, © 1965

https://archive.org/stream/MerrilEdT...0SF12_djvu.txt
Old 01-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Luana by Gilbert Thomas, © 1965 . . .
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:54 PM

Well, it was quite early in the day.

Meant for Chronos and Andy L.

Last edited by tripthicket; 01-15-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:01 PM

There's a story I remember reading as a kid in the 80s, the plot is about aliens invading and conquering Earth to plunder it.

I'm sure the remaining humans were reasonably primitive, there were no resistance fighters toting laser guns. It's far enough in the future that when they stumble upon some forgotten weaponry, they don't know what USAF means.

Eventually the aliens leave, having had their fill of whatever they took from Earth. The protagonist though, manages to kill one of the alien's highers up in one on one combat.

Two things that stick out. The humans bring down an alien drone of some sort, breaking it apart it appears to be half machine-half living creature. Also, the alien killed by the protagonist has a bit of a chat with him, and a translation machine reveals that the aliens call humans "rats" and they actually translate the word human as rat when the protagonist tries to correct him.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkin View Post
There's a story I remember reading as a kid in the 80s, the plot is about aliens invading and conquering Earth to plunder it.

I'm sure the remaining humans were reasonably primitive, there were no resistance fighters toting laser guns. It's far enough in the future that when they stumble upon some forgotten weaponry, they don't know what USAF means.

Eventually the aliens leave, having had their fill of whatever they took from Earth. The protagonist though, manages to kill one of the alien's highers up in one on one combat.

Two things that stick out. The humans bring down an alien drone of some sort, breaking it apart it appears to be half machine-half living creature. Also, the alien killed by the protagonist has a bit of a chat with him, and a translation machine reveals that the aliens call humans "rats" and they actually translate the word human as rat when the protagonist tries to correct him.
Maybe one of the Huntsman Trilogy by Douglas Hill? It sounds a bit like the last book in the series - Alien Citadel.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:27 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

The title I'm looking for is set in the contemporary 1960s. There are tunnel networks under cities, with entrances in basements. There are bad guys called elves living in the tunnels. The protagonist enters the tunnels to rescue a woman. An hallucinogenic fungus grows in the tunnels that the elves eat. I recall someone reading tea leaves.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
Here's one I asked about once before. A guy has telekinetic powers, and at the end of the story he visits the president and makes demands. As he walks out the door, he gets his head bashed in with a hammer. I think it's really old.
Got it! "The Most Powerful Tailor in the World" by Michael Crichton. Appeared in Playboy Sept, 71. If it helps jog your memory that was the same issue that featured the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers game "Feds and Heads".
Old 02-12-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaebig View Post
Maybe one of the Huntsman Trilogy by Douglas Hill? It sounds a bit like the last book in the series - Alien Citadel.
From what I'm reading of it, it sounds like it is, thanks.

My local library must have had a lot of his books in stock, I remember reading his legionary series as a kid too.

Last edited by Pushkin; 02-12-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkin View Post
There's a story I remember reading as a kid in the 80s, the plot is about aliens invading and conquering Earth to plunder it.... It's far enough in the future that when they stumble upon some forgotten weaponry, they don't know what USAF means.

... Also, the alien killed by the protagonist has a bit of a chat with him, and a translation machine reveals that the aliens call humans "rats" and they actually translate the word human as rat when the protagonist tries to correct him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaebig View Post
I'd suspect it isn't, but it sounds like L Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth. I can see how one would want to forget!

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 03-05-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 AM

A story for identification:

A total conversion machine is invented that can turn any matter into anything else. It's the universal replicator. You can use simple rock as the base matter. Concerns are raised that eventually you'll run out of earth to convert, but the concerns are pooh-poohed, because the earth is so big!

There is an epilogue where scientists in the far future are discussing the theory that in the long ago past the earth and the moon were not always the same size, and that the earth was several times larger.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I've read that short story, Just Asking Questions. I think it's in one of the early (say, between the late 1940's and the early 1960's) science fiction anthologies. It's possible though that it's in a more recent anthology that contains some older short stories. Andy L, do you know the story?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:25 PM

Doesn't ring a bell unfortunately, but I'll do some searching.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:59 PM

The Dwindling Sphere, by Willard Hawkins?
Old 03-05-2019, 08:02 PM

Heres a review of that story https://www.blackgate.com/2018/09/27...ndling-sphere/
Old 03-05-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I think that's the short story I was thinking about, anyway.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
The Dwindling Sphere, by Willard Hawkins?
That's it! Amazing (or should I say, Astounding? )

I don't think I own any of the collections it was published in, so I must have checked it out of the library decades ago.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 03-06-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:17 PM

Here's one that's bugging me. I read it a long time ago so I might not have all the details right.

A long term space mission sets out for a planet orbiting another star. The crew is a bunch of scientists, and to pass the time they are given some math/science problems to work on. It later turns out that the whole mission is a sham -- there is no planet at the destination and the only point of the mission was to isolate the scientists so they could focus completely on these important problems. The fact that the crew will perish when they reach the nonexistent planet is considered acceptable by the mission planners. The crew makes astounding progress during the mission, and radios some of their results back to earth. Eventually they discover the ruse but by then they have advanced so far beyond earth science that they are able to survive anyway (I think that they actually CREATE a planet when they arrive at the destination star). One specific incident I recall is they radio one of their most important results (controlled fusion or something of that order) as a Godel-encoded number, and one of the crew comments that the Earth people are probably "too dumb" to de-Godelize it.

Anyone got this one?

Last edited by markn+; 03-08-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:23 PM

The Gold At The Starbow’s End.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:26 PM

Answered in 6 minutes! Thank you.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
The Gold At The Starbow’s End.
Or in novel form "Starburst"
Old 03-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Yet another one I could have answered, had I seen it quickly enough.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:59 PM
SDSAB

ISTR that Arthur C. Clarke wrote several interlinked short stories about a multi-ship, international Moon exploration mission. What were the stories' titles, and where can I find them collected these days?
Old 03-11-2019, 02:11 PM

"Venture to the Moon" http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?9801 - six interconnected stories

The Starting Line
Robin Hood, F.R.S
Green Fingers
All That Glitters
Watch This Space
A Question of Residence

all in Clarke's collection "The Other Side of the Sky"

Last edited by Andy L; 03-11-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:31 PM
SDSAB

Many thanks!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 PM

No problem.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:54 PM

Not exactly Sci-Fi, but alternative history novel set decades after WW2 ended in an Axis victory. Nazi Germany uses vast slave labor for their work force and is having a shortage of it, so at the start of the novel Germany forces Italy to reclassify Sicilians as "Untermensch" so they can be used as slaves or else Germany was going to classify ALL Italians as non-white.

This isn't either Man in the High Castle nor the Draka series though similar events happen in both.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Not exactly Sci-Fi, but alternative history novel set decades after WW2 ended in an Axis victory. Nazi Germany uses vast slave labor for their work force and is having a shortage of it, so at the start of the novel Germany forces Italy to reclassify Sicilians as "Untermensch" so they can be used as slaves or else Germany was going to classify ALL Italians as non-white.

This isn't either Man in the High Castle nor the Draka series though similar events happen in both.
The Ultimate Solution by Eric Norden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Solution

"At the time of the plot, following the recent death of Benito Mussolini, who had to some degree resisted Nazi policies, the Germans are contemplating "a change in the racial classification of Italians", and North Italians are desperately trying to save themselves by sacrificing the "Sicilian Ayrabs" to the Nazis. "
Old 03-12-2019, 05:48 AM

If challenges instead of requests for identifications are okay, here's one...

1. A time traveler knows how he's supposed to die, but doesn't like the details, so he refuses to go along with the "script" and instead dies somewhere else in time.
2. Time starts to unravel because of the paradox of this guy dying twice. His best friend must resolve the conflict or else all life on Earth will end.
3. Also includes a love triangle, going to jail on purpose, and time machines built into wristwatches.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

What do you mean by challenges instead of requests for identification?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:29 AM

I mean I know what the story is, but I want to see if anyone else can ID it without Google. It's just for fun.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueInfinity View Post
If challenges instead of requests for identifications are okay, here's one...

1. A time traveler knows how he's supposed to die, but doesn't like the details, so he refuses to go along with the "script" and instead dies somewhere else in time.
2. Time starts to unravel because of the paradox of this guy dying twice. His best friend must resolve the conflict or else all life on Earth will end.
3. Also includes a love triangle, going to jail on purpose, and time machines built into wristwatches.
Off the top of my head I'd say "Time Travellers never Die" by Jack McDevitt
Old 03-12-2019, 03:57 PM

That was fast. This is courtesy of the anthology Time Machines: The Best Time Travel Stories Ever Written.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueInfinity View Post
That was fast. This is courtesy of the anthology Time Machines: The Best Time Travel Stories Ever Written.
I read the original novella in Asimov's magazine where it first appeared (in 1996) and read the later version when it was expanded into a novel in 2006, so it wasn't hard for me to recognize.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:25 PM

Anyone remember a short story in which the flickers of movement you see in your peripheral vision were actual creatures? It's been so long that my memory may be supplying false notions, but I seem to recall one attached to his arm or hand and he had to hack off his arm with a machete.

A long shot, I know. Hope springs eternal.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
Anyone remember a short story in which the flickers of movement you see in your peripheral vision were actual creatures? It's been so long that my memory may be supplying false notions, but I seem to recall one attached to his arm or hand and he had to hack off his arm with a machete.

Doesn't ring a bell, sorry.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

There was one I read in middle school that I'm still trying to find. I thought it was named Psi High, but the description of the only book by that title I can find, by Alan Nourse, does not match my recollection.

Plot: Three passengers of a space liner escape from the liner when it is attacked by enemy aliens. Each passenger has a particular psi power: Cordelia is a telekinetic, Jake is a receiving telepath, Bernie is a teleporter. Their escape pod lands on a backward planet that is reminiscent of 1920s/1930s midwest America whose inhabitants have forgotten they were originally from Earth. The three eventually join a carnival. Then the enemy aliens find the planet and start trying to turn it into a secret, behind-the-lines base for attacking human forces. Cordy and Jake escape to inform the human government about this, but Bernie dies because he 'ports into the alien control center to turn off the devices preventing the ship they were stealing from taking off and the aliens mortally wound him before he kills them and releases the ship.

What is this book, and who wrote it?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

The galactic rejects
Andrew J. Offutt
Old 03-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
That's it! I remember the cover they show on Amazon!

Woo-hoo! Thank you, Peter Morris!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
There was one I read in middle school that I'm still trying to find. I thought it was named Psi High, but the description of the only book by that title I can find, by Alan Nourse, does not match my recollection.
"Psi High and Others" is a good book though...
Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
"Psi High and Others" is a good book though...
The weird bit is that I have no recollection of it, and yet I almost had to have read it at about the same time as I read The Galactic Rejects for me to remember the title of one but the plot of the other.

So, how are you at mid-teen ghost stories? Because there are two other books I'm trying to remember the titles of, but I'm pretty sure neither were considered science fiction or fantasy.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post

I don't know the title, but I'm pretty sure that Mike Resnick was the author. I remember them masquerading as debris by the side of the highway and moving just outside of or on the edges of one's field of view.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
The weird bit is that I have no recollection of it, and yet I almost had to have read it at about the same time as I read The Galactic Rejects for me to remember the title of one but the plot of the other.

So, how are you at mid-teen ghost stories? Because there are two other books I'm trying to remember the titles of, but I'm pretty sure neither were considered science fiction or fantasy.
I read a few of those in the 1970s and 80s. Give it a try...
Old 03-13-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
I don't know the title, but I'm pretty sure that Mike Resnick was the author. I remember them masquerading as debris by the side of the highway and moving just outside of or on the edges of one's field of view.
Here's Resnick's ISFDB page http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?48 (I do see one story called "Me and My Shadow" which sounds promising)
Old 03-13-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Here's Resnick's ISFDB page http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?48 (I do see one story called "Me and My Shadow" which sounds promising)
Don't know if that's the one. I also remember it was one of his stories set in Africa, with I believe a Maasai protagonist.

Definitely not Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge, however, as I recently read that.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Don't know if that's the one. I also remember it was one of his stories set in Africa, with I believe a Maasai protagonist.

Definitely not Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge, however, as I recently read that.
Those stories would be listed under the Kirinyaga heading, probably.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Quite possibly.

As an aside, I was a big fan of Resnick, back in the '80's and '90's.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Quite possibly.

As an aside, I was a big fan of Resnick, back in the '80's and '90's.
Me too. I'm a sucker for "future histories" and Resnick's "Santiago" universe was a pretty good one.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Nothing supernatural in the Kirinyaga stories.