Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Tell me about the Nintendo Switch

So my kids are making the argument to get a Switch. Fine.

But tell me about it. What makes it so hot a commodity right now? Does it have a game install base now?

I admit, I enjoyed my Wii - though not as much the Wii U - and found several of the non-traditional games pretty relaxing. What are the games available and how does the system function?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:47 AM

The "gimmick" is the fact that it's both a home console (via the included dock) and a handheld, so you can play the same game on a big TV or on the go.
I love my Switch but I'd also consider myself a Nintendo fanboy so not totally objective
+ Nintendo first party games are the pinnacle of polished design
- As a home console, Switch is still underpowered compared to its primary competitors so for cross-platform games it either doesn't get them at all or gets somewhat watered-down versions
+ As a handheld, Switch is impressively powerful. Being able to play games like Mario Odyssey on the go is kind of amazing!
- Nintendo products are generally somewhat expensive and go on sale less frequently. Pro controller, for example, retails for an absurd $69.99, although you can find it for less
+ Very "indie" friendly with tons of downloadable games available through the e-store
- Online infrastructure stinks so if your kids like to play with friends online, it's not as good as XBox or PS4
Old 03-20-2019, 11:09 AM

Yes, the on the go or home console "Switch" aspect is fantastic. I tend to play as a home console like 90% of the time (I sometimes take the Switch on plane trips), so what draws me are the amazing first party games (Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc). There has been quite a bit of third party games on it as well (especially indies) though they don't run as well as they would on dedicated home console games.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 AM

Certainly it has a pretty good library. As usual, the main draw is the Nintendo properties though, since you can't get those elsewhere.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 AM

I'm a huge fan, it is a little bit of genius.

An example. Say I'm playing Breath of the Wild on the main TV (which is right up there with the very best game that I've ever played) and my wife wants to watch something. All I do is go over to the dock, without pausing or stopping the game, and pick it up and carry on playing without a pause. There is really no noticeable difference in playing it big-screen or portable.
Battery life is a good 3-4 hours even on the intensive games.
The kids play Mario Kart together in the back of the car on long trips. My wife plays Tetris99 in bed. I play it on the train or the plane and it just works.

Cartridges are pricey but hold their value on resale and the loading is very quick but downloads are an easy option as well. Graphic quality is good enough that you won't really care.
The games list is long and getting longer by the day. You also have access to games that you just can't get anywhere else and BOTW is very nearly good enough to justify buying the system on its own. The user base is getting very big and third party developers are converting new games and back-catalogues and I expect that to expand.
Online play seems fine to me and the lack of chat is a bonus not a drawback.
Splatoon or Mario Kart work great and the online account is cheap and free NES games are thrown in with it.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

I assume you meant to put this in the Game Room, not CS? Moving.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Eh, whichever.

Is there any backward compatibility with Wii games at all?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Is there any backward compatibility with Wii games at all?
It has no disc drive, so no.