Old 03-01-2019, 11:45 AM

NHL March 2019

The month starts off with the Senators firing Guy Boucher.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
The month starts off with the Senators firing Guy Boucher.
Which just sucks. The team ownership has done everything possible to NOT be competitive in the last few years.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Can't remember the last time I've seen an NHL team in such complete free fall as the Senators this season.
Not just being 31st - everything has gone to pot with them - the timeline of shitty transactions and other fuck-ups over the last year and half - incredible.
Because they have absolutely crap market value now, word is is Bettman will intervene.
Sacking Boucher was not the solution.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:10 AM

Just a reminder, donít pass the puck back to your goalie if he has been pulled. T. J. Oshie was the last Capitals player to touch the puck so he got credit.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Ouch - yeah - I've see that happen before.
Was we trying to pass it back to the point?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Ouch - yeah - I've see that happen before.
Was we trying to pass it back to the point?
The announcers at the time thought he didnít realize the goalie had been pulled. His post game comment was that he was trying to pass to another player and used too much force.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:18 PM

Knights started March with a win! Woot! Still chasing the post-season!
Old 03-03-2019, 01:31 AM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Hah, you guys are a ridiculously successful expansion team. I'd say you were a perfect example of exactly how evenly the NHL is balanced these days, which I find to be a beautiful thing -- but on the other hand you guys picked just about every damn player I would have picked myself in that draft. That set of picks was a work of genius, and could have only been better if you'd won a cup in the inaugural year. Yeah, I'm jealous.

In the world of "wow, that was surprising!", I had never seen an official raise their arm without a penalty being assessed until last night. Comeau had an incident where he brought down another player, play was stopped, and then the officials said "umm, it looked bad, but it was nothing". Wow, when was the last time you saw that?

In the saga of Dallas' goal tending, other than that weird hop in Vegas, I have even been in awe of our goalies' puck handling. They usually just make me think "there are opposing players on your side of the blue line, you have no reason to leave the crease", but they've actually been good at those times, recently, even if they do light terror in my heart.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:46 AM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Umm, I'm a loon that was working from memory. Comeau had an incident where it looked like he was guilty of high sticking another player in the face, not bringing them down.

Even still, ever seen an arm get raised and no penalty assessed?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Even still, ever seen an arm get raised and no penalty assessed?
The ref closest to the play called the penalty but he did not have the best angle on the play. The second ref, who was further away but had a better view, saw the play as a 'follow through' and thus the penalty was not called.

ETA: Yes, I have seen a ref raise his arm for a penalty then not call it after a consultation before.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 03-03-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
In the saga of Dallas' goal tending, other than that weird hop in Vegas, I have even been in awe of our goalies' puck handling. They usually just make me think "there are opposing players on your side of the blue line, you have no reason to leave the crease", but they've actually been good at those times, recently, even if they do light terror in my heart.
Funny that you mention Dallas goalies' puck handling, considering that their tender from 2000 - 2010 was Marty Turco, who was BY MILES the most impressive (and daring!) puckhandling goalie, like, ever. Often referred to as the third defenseman, he would intercept just about every puck dump-in and hand it off to the nearest D. And sometimes even fricking dekeing players behind the net - he was kinda nuts in that regard, but immensely entertaining, and rarely fucked up.

Heh - I wonder if David Yow ever checked out any games. The dude (I can personally vouch for this) is a constant burper and farter, so probably best not.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:33 PM

Interesting end of Rangers-Caps. Fourth round of a shootout and the goalie loses his stick - ruled as throwing his stick and an awarded goal for Ovie for the win.

Last edited by tim-n-va; 03-03-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
Interesting end of Rangers-Caps. Fourth round of a shootout and the goalie loses his stick - ruled as throwing his stick and an awarded goal for Ovie for the win.
I just watched that, and it was completely the correct call. Sure, it may have been unintentional, but how do you differentiate between "Oops! I lost my stick" and "I'm going to throw my stick at the puck!"
Old 03-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Turco certainly gave me conniptions back in the day, as well. But as you describe, he was quite good at it. Bishop and Khudobin aren't really up to his level as a third defenseman most of the time. The last few weeks, they've really been doing well.

In regard to Yow: I kind of think that developing your own, special odor is an integral part of becoming a musician in Texas.

I saw that stick throw in the shootout in the Rangers/Caps game. Yeah, that was the right call.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:30 PM

Speaking of goalie antics, did anyone see the nutshot that Sabres goalie Ullmark gave to Mitch Marner?
Old 03-03-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Speaking of goalie antics, did anyone see the nutshot that Sabres goalie Ullmark gave to Mitch Marner?
No. And I watched the game.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:07 PM

Flower power! WOOT!
Old 03-04-2019, 09:39 AM

Detroit star and hall-of-famer Ted Lindsay dead at 93.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:28 PM

He'd be sick for awhile, hadn't he? I don't remember seeing him at the NHL Awards this year. God, what a legacy that guy left.

RIP, Terrible Ted.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 03-04-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:35 PM

Ah, too bad - the first player to parade the Cup around the rink and then let the fans check it out. I was quite startled when he reminisced one time about Terry Sawchuk: "What a miserable SOB that guy was." (quite possibly because TS was always in chronic pain - goalie equipment back then was quite lacking, apparently)

Anyway, R.I.P, Production Line Dude.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 03-04-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Forgot to add that TL spearheaded the first players union, which has evolved into the NHLPA today. Regarded by the powers that be (like Red Wings coach/manager Jack Adams) as sticking his nose out, he was sent off to Chicago, while like-minded teammates were sent back down to the minors in JA's off-putting attempt at union-busting.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:24 AM

Good job, Knights!
Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 AM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

I went to see the Stars play the Rangers on Tues. Radulov was benched for being late to a team meeting. We beat the Rangers 1-0 on a Klingberg goal. Rads was back in on Thur. and scored his first hat trick in a 4-0 win over Colorado.

My friend and I disagree on this, he thinks that Radulov showed he was special and might be the kind of guy who's late to further meetings. I think that they both ended up getting what they wanted, in the end. Montgomery was able to lay down the law, and benching Radulov is probably the only way to punish him that means anything. He wants to play hockey, and when he got the chance again, he went at it like he loved it.

Oh, and Bishop had a pretty sweet pair of shutouts there.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:32 AM

Pens KICKED ASS Thursday, and Phil Kessel finally broke the drought! Woohoo!!! A shut out for Murray, and I can't wait until tomorrow night! (Well, technically tonight)

Quote:
Ah, too bad - the first player to parade the Cup around the rink and then let the fans check it out. I was quite startled when he reminisced one time about Terry Sawchuk: "What a miserable SOB that guy was." (quite possibly because TS was always in chronic pain - goalie equipment back then was quite lacking, apparently)

Anyway, R.I.P, Production Line Dude.
He'd also suffered an injury as a child that didn't heal right, plus a brother of his died young. There's a lot of speculation that he suffered from undiagnosed depression, which he treated with alcohol.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:27 AM

Go Knights go! Here's hoping for a sweet double double-yoo tomorrow night! Come on, Knights: make this trip to the Great White North memorable, eh! <Coo-loo-coo-coo-coo-coo-coo-coo!>
Old 03-11-2019, 12:32 AM

Dang it.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Washington Capitals firing on all cylinders, winning 7 in a row. Damn, I’m ready for the playoffs
Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Which just sucks. The team ownership has done everything possible to NOT be competitive in the last few years.
The Senators have promised to have "unparalleled success" from "2021-2025." Really, they said that. It's a direct quote.

The general idea of tearing a team apart to rebuild is not itself unreasonable. Expecting a team owned by Eugene Melnyk to have "unparalleled success" is not reasonable.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:39 PM

After seeing the Canucks' level of play on the weekend it looks like they're in "not making wild card" mode, which I find next to unwatchable. Icings and offsides galore, no connecting passes, and no finished checks - just skate-bys.
"Next season, then", once again.
Currently at 9% odds for first overall pick.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:07 AM

/self nitpick/ Er - chances are 9%. /self-nitpick/
Old 03-12-2019, 08:54 PM

Happy Guin?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Ben Bishop just recorded his third straight shutout last night. He current has gone over 204 minutes without a goal. Good stuff.

In other goalie news, congratulations to Carey Price on setting the Montreal franchise record for wins. I can't imagine that one being challenged for a long time.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Ove is a monster! 1200 freaking goals!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Ove is a monster! 1200 freaking goals!
It's impossible not to like Ovi. I just had this conversation with some friends a few days ago. He always looks like he's having fun out there.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
It's impossible not to like Ovi. I just had this conversation with some friends a few days ago. He always looks like he's having fun out there.
I totally agree. I hate having to play against him because he's a fierce opponent and because I genuinely enjoy watching him play, but hate watching my team suffer.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:14 PM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Ben Bishop just recorded his third straight shutout last night. He current has gone over 204 minutes without a goal. Good stuff.

In other goalie news, congratulations to Carey Price on setting the Montreal franchise record for wins. I can't imagine that one being challenged for a long time.
Oh yes, here's to hoping Bishop can go for 4! We might not score much these days, but our GAA makes us competitive just about every night.

I noticed Price had gained that record, too. He's been the reason for a great deal of those wins, and that's a pretty storied club to own the record for. It fits him.

The worst thing about Price and Ovechkin is that they don't play for my team. I'm happy they both play in the Eastern Conference, where I can usually admire them from afar.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 PM

Yeah, Ovi's a cool guy, but I don't like him when he's an opponent. Wilson, however, will always be a total douchebag.

Quote:
Happy Guin?
Yes and no. I'm THRILLED with yesterday's victory, and the fact that Geno has his 1,000 point is so awesome! *happy dance* And it's so cool that his parents were in from Russia to see it.

On the other hand, I didn't get to watch, because I had a seizure yesterday and went to bed early. There was just no way I could stay awake after that.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 03-13-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Something Iíve wanted to ask for a while: What does ďwaiversĒ mean?

I see in reports sometimes that a player was put on waivers, or that another team has claimed him off waivers. What does that mean?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Roughly, it's a team giving up their rights to lay claims on a player, so they he/she is available to another team.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 AM

A player on waivers is up for grabs. Any other team may take him, assume the entirety of the rest of his contract, without compensation to the team that put the player on waivers.

The main reason why a team would put a player on waivers is that in many cases, a player may not be sent down to the minor leagues (e.g. the AHL) without first being placed on waivers (younger players are waiver exempt and may be sent down without being exposed to waivers, so that they can effectively do an apprenticeship in the minors before they are ready for the NHL).
Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 AM

After starting the season on a lengthy suspension, Tom Wilson is on track for a career high in goals and a career low in penalty minutes. Too soon to judge if he has adjusted his game or if it is a fluke.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 PM

Toronto wearing their green and white St. Pat's uniforms tonight at home against Philly. Sweet!

Toronto St. Patricks
1919–1927 - Official name before switching to Leafs.

Last edited by Leaffan; 03-15-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 PM

So, Brian Elliot knocks the net off on his own, with zero external interference just as Auston Matthews scores.

The call, upon review, is no goal. OK, but I think there should have been a delay of game penalty to Elliot. So a goalie can just dislodge the net when things get scrambly with no repercussions?

That's kinda bullshit.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:55 PM

Yeah, Elliot definitely shoulda got a delay of game. Hope that was just a brutal slip-up, and doesn't set any goofy precedents.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
So, Brian Elliot knocks the net off on his own, with zero external interference just as Auston Matthews scores.

The call, upon review, is no goal. OK, but I think there should have been a delay of game penalty to Elliot. So a goalie can just dislodge the net when things get scrambly with no repercussions?

That's kinda bullshit.
It's typical Flyers. That's the only way they can win.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:25 AM

And they didn't.

Karma.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Hope that was just a brutal slip-up, and doesn't set any goofy precedents.
Now somebody has to try it again to see.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:41 PM

I would just like to wish everyone a Happy Flyers 16K Day!!!
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Now somebody has to try it again to see.
Well then - just saw Dallas's Khudobin throw the net off its pegs in a fit of pique at the refs for not calling the play dead because of the goalie's broken skate. For those kind of things, you put your big boy pants on and tough it out, even if you can't skate anymore (like I've seen other players do) until the play comes to a natural stop.
No delay of game call.

And then only yesterday the same goalie threw his stick, which the NHL later deemed an accident.
Um, nah, it was accidentally on purpose. And even it had been an honest accident, the goalie is still responsible for keeping hold of his stick: automatic infraction.

A shame that Jamie Benn (from my hometown Victoria yay!!!) has always been one of the most underrated players in the NHL. (Reminding me of a Joe Sakic or Ron Francis.) I especially like how he's always so Joe Cool after a goal - total pokerface - total whatevs.
Class.
Great team leader.