Old 01-17-2017, 09:24 PM

Actually, I think the segment showed evidence that WWE does book for the long term. How long in advance do they know where the event's going to take place? A month or two? They saw they were coming to the King's hometown and timed Dolph's heel turn to take place a few weeks before this show.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Meanwhile, courtesy of the indy show I went to on Friday, here's what happens when you call Cody Rhodes "Stardust".
Old 01-18-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Finished up UKCT. Bloody good show.

Exhibition Match
Neville vs Tommy End
End is a Danish martial artist covered in tattoos and looks like Ragnar Lodbrok. Prior to the match, Neville bitches on the mic about being left out of yet another tournament. End is a new NXT signup, and he obviously has extensive experience. The two work nicely with each other. Neville wins with the Red Arrow.

Cheerio.
Dutch. He was billed as being from Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Wrestles for quite a while now, all over the world but a lot in the UK. Probably why they picked him for the match, and was a protegee of Chris Hero/Kassius Ohno, as was mentioned by Cole & Nigel.

The first night of the tournament was alright. Nothing spectacular imo.
The level of matches was very uneven and I wasn't sure I would watch the 2nd night.
I'm glad I did (though I decided to not watch it live) because it got a lot better.

Dunne plays the despicable villain so well. I wouldn't be shocked if he went to Regal and asked for some pointers.
Tyler Bate was an interesting character and winner. Very strong, has a good look though I think without the moustache he'd look like the kid he is.
The number in his finisher is probably a reference to his year of birth?
Nigel kept saying it, that was slightly annoying.

I think they shouldn't rush into a tv show with these people like they did with the cruiser weights. Maybe some events from time to time? More in the style of a Takeover.
Dunne btw got more heat than half of the guys on the main roster would get.
Again, he plays his part very very well. He's the one guy I think they could sign, put on tv and it'd work.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:19 AM

Dutch/Danish, Norse/Norwegian... I can at least find Europe on a map. :-)

Totally agree with you about Dunne. He's the reason why the UK tournament went so well. Not only did he play the main villain part to perfection, but he also trained half those guys.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Actually, I think the segment showed evidence that WWE does book for the long term. How long in advance do they know where the event's going to take place? A month or two? They saw they were coming to the King's hometown and timed Dolph's heel turn to take place a few weeks before this show.
I'm not one to immediately hate everything WWE does, but I think that's giving them a biiiiit too much credit.

I think someone remembered the rumble that King and Dolph had a thing once, and would make for a good segment, but I don't think it was planned too far in advance.

I didn't hate the Nikki/Nattie segment any more than I hated any of the other women's segments. Let's face it, none of them are actors. Between CHAR-LOTTE SEG-MEN-TING HER LI-ONS. and Sasha always telling us about her hero Eddie Gur-rer-ro. They all sound like middle-schoolers. Bayley sounded the worst she ever has on Monday. At least Nikki and Nattie's feud kinda-sorta makes sense. Nattie is the true legacy girl, but Nikki gets all the press because she's porking the star, so Nattie is mad. Makes more sense than what's going on with the cruiserweights and Alicia Fox, who is back to the "bitches be crazy" line of thinking.

I think it's a testament to Smackdown that even the shittier segments end it well enough for me to not hate it. That cage match last night was utterly pointless. I mean, why even be in a cage if you literally never use it? Well, the answer is so that the people you're supposed to keep out come in, and it ends up being Mickie James which is semi-interesting.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:53 AM
Charter Member

I've been binge-listening to Jim Cornette's podcast lately. He's very much in the "old man yells at cloud" stage of his career, but he's just so delightful to listen to - he's an angry, foul-mouthed southerner (who's also an atheist and a hardcore liberal) who's got a lot of colorful tales to tell about everything from the territory days up to the current decade. It's worth checking out if you have time to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFire View Post
I think they shouldn't rush into a tv show with these people like they did with the cruiser weights. Maybe some events from time to time? More in the style of a Takeover.
According to what I've read, WWE is working on a deal with a British promotion called ICW to put their weekly show on the Network. Maybe that's where the UK title will wind up?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:24 AM

I understand that mileage varies and all of that, but I feel like how delightful one finds Cornette to listen to may be directly proportional to how one feels about 1) Southern-style wrestling, 2)Highspot-style indie wrestling, and/or 3) Women's wrestling.

To me, Jim Cornette is the George Karl of professional wrestling, and I do not find him delightful to listen to, at all.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Back in the NWA days, Cornette played the hilarious mama's boy manager of the Midnight Express.

He's definitely old school and not too keen on today's product, but the man can rant like no other.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 AM

TNA's been growing on me. First the Hardys, then Decay, then Eli Drake, and now Rock Star Spud. He's the cocky shrimp who always gets clobbered for his impudence, but he's fucking hilarious. As Aron Rex's lackey of homosexual tendencies, he prances and poses like a ballet dancer and acts like his shit don't stink. He and Rex went against Robbie E and the dehorned Swoggle last night, and Swoggle gave him a stinkface, which he sold perfectly. What can you say about a guy who would put even a one-year old over?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Apparently AJ Styles was robbed while in Arkansas.

He had a bag full of video game goodies that was stolen from him. Damn Southern-on-Southern crime!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 AM

So just who is this No Am Dar guy and why can't he speak english? Is he some unfrozen cave man? And just who or what is 'Dar' that he No Am? Are people constantly confusing him with some guy named Dar and he keeps having to say that he 'No am Dar'?

Old 01-20-2017, 07:00 PM

For those who might be in Orlando on Wrestlemania week, it appears that ROH's Supercard of Honor event will feature the Broken Hardys vs the Young Bucks, which has been teased a long time by both parties.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
So just who is this No Am Dar guy and why can't he speak english? Is he some unfrozen cave man? And just who or what is 'Dar' that he No Am? Are people constantly confusing him with some guy named Dar and he keeps having to say that he 'No am Dar'?

So Ms. Cups and I decided to head out to the wonder known as Ikea for some meatballs and getting me a dresser. We're sitting on a couch (kinda need that too) and Ms. Cups says "hey...is that..." and I look up and see someone who looks just like ole Noam Dar. Not only does he look like Dar, but he has a man purse. We get close to him and definitely hear his accent. So Noam Dar and his lady friend were spotted in Ikea today. Makes it the second sighting of a superstar in the wild by us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
For those who might be in Orlando on Wrestlemania week, it appears that ROH's Supercard of Honor event will feature the Broken Hardys vs the Young Bucks, which has been teased a long time by both parties.
This is the second reason I popped on. Since we've seen enough NXT in our lives we opted to see this show! Bought our tickets today and am excited to see the Bucks of Youth! and the rest of the RoH cast!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Pentagon Jr. has apparently quit AAA/LU. He and his Perros Del Mal stablemates showed up last night in Crash (the Tijuana promotion where Perrito had his final match) and announced that they're now free agents, and that he's now calling himself Penta Cero Miedo.

I don't know how much AAA was paying him, but it's quite possible he could do very well working ROH/PWG/the indies. Maybe we'll see him up here in Defy along with his buddies from the Temple.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:16 AM

Does leaving AAA mean he automatically leaves LU? He goes by Pentagon Dark there. I'd think they'd just have to renegotiate his contract. Strip out a few lines and add some others. What's the worst AAA can do, tell him he can no longer name himself after a geometric shape?
Old 01-23-2017, 08:39 AM

Also, I can count the amount of LU I've seen on one and a half hands, and I certainly haven't seen enough to really understand who people are and how they work.

Would he have a future in WWE? Would they even want him?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM

WWE would just treat Pent like a cute little novelty act, like they do Kallisto. Maybe when they put together WWE Latin America they'll put out feelers for him and his brothers-in-arms, but I think Pent is really into his brand and unwilling to change it for a PG audience. He's more of a shadowy underground presence. Plus, I don't think he speaks much English, but that wasn't a problem for Nakamura.

Who knows though? Even the Undertaker managed to maintain the same level of coolness while smoothing away some of the darker aspects of his character. IIRC WWE was only tangential about using Samoa Joe at first, but then they saw how his merchandise sales took off and said "Welcome aboard." If Pent means more merchandising bucks, they'll put out the Bienvenida mat.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:59 AM

WWE doesn't have the greatest history when it comes to dealing with hispanic stars. I know some of them have complained about potentially racist comments from Trips in the past.

So it will be interesting how fast or how smooth a WWE Latin America comes about.

They certainly haven't attempted to showcase the ones they have very well and Andrade hasn't been handled particularly well in NXT.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, Trent Severn, and Kurt Angle have all suddenly pulled out of indy shows they were scheduled to work this weekend.

Wonder if we'll be seeing them at the Rumble?
Old 01-24-2017, 07:33 AM

Is WWE finally taking Sami Zayn seriously? He got a win over Seth Rollins in a "Loser Leaves the Rumble" match, taking advantage of HHH's false flag. I'm thinking he'll get revenge on Stroman at RR by eliminating him.

KO took commentary while Jericho and Reigns battled, and absolutely killed it. As much as Graves snarks on Saxton, KO was eviscerating him.

I wonder if Undertaker, Goldberg and Brock get paid the same amount of money for showing up that everybody else gets paid for working matches? Goldberg is on for 5 minutes. All he has to do is make his entrance and use the mic. Brock shows up for 2 minutes to stare down Goldberg. The lights go out and UT shows up for 1 minute, and the show is over. Cha-ching!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:23 PM

What in the fuck? They made AJ change his hometown! He's not from Atlanta, he's from Gainesville, 60 miles away. They're trying to recreate the Superbowl matchup and get cheapshit heat! Why not have Cena wear Kelly Anne Conway's inauguration dress while they're at it?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:27 PM

I fucking despise these John Cena promos. The heel comes out and makes generic heel complaints. Then Cena comes out and runs him down as not being worthy of John Cena. While the heel is forced to stand there silently and take it.

About as authentic and interesting as a Steven Segal movie.

But I can do with a Ziggler-Crews feud if it gets Crews some TV time and ends up putting him over.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:40 PM

Cena is starting to remind me of a less cartoonish Hulk Hogan. That's probably Vince's intent, too.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 AM

Speaking of Cena, can we just comment on the fact that he has to have a world record for "Fastest time it takes for someone to take their shirt off."

He is able to rip that thing off at an alarming rate and it's really kind of awe-inspiring.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Time for PPV predictions!

I'll start with Takeover 13: Just Take Over, Already.

* Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bobby Roode for the NXT Championship. I'm thinking Roode wins here. He's been massively over ever since his debut, and it'd kill his heat if he lost this match. Nakamura can weather a loss at this point, and it's my personal wager that he's gonna enter the Royal Rumble the day after this show - but even if he doesn't, a Roode win here would make sense and be absolutely GLORIOUS.

* DIY vs. the Authors of Pain for the NXT tag championships. Gonna go with AoP here - they've had a rocket strapped to their butt ever since they debuted, and the trend in NXT has been to have a dominant heel team be tag champions in order to build up the next face team. (Cf. the Ascension, Blake & Murphy, the Revival).

* Fatal four-way for the women's championship; Asuka vs. Nikki Cross, Billie Kay, & Peyton Royce. I don't see how this match doesn't end with Asuka retaining - she's miles ahead of any of these other jabronis. Maybe Cross wins to build the Sanity angle, but I don't really see it.

* Eric Young vs. Tye Dillinger. Tye has been the Designated Jobber for awhile now, but he's been getting viral heat lately. (If the indy show I went to this month is any indication, you can't do a countout spot anymore without the crowd shouting "TEN!" every time the referee counts.) It'd be beneficial for either of these guys to go over, and my gut is telling me it's gonna be Young, but I think I'd personally prefer for it to be Tye.

* Roderick Strong vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas. Gotta be Strong. No questions asked.

I'll get around to my Royal Rumble predictions in a day or two.

Last edited by Smapti; 01-26-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:41 AM

The Fatal 4 Way provides a way for Asuka to lose the title without actually losing. Also, Charlotte can beat Bailey, preserve her undefeated PPV record at the Rumble, then see Asuka's leering multicolored face doing that predator smile at her while celebrating her win. I'm going to go with Cruella De'Ville (Billie Kay) becoming next NXT women's champion.

I don't think Nakamura is going to be called up just yet. There's too much talent bloat in the main roster, and Samosa Joe is already sure to break the walls daaaaaaaown.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:56 AM

I actually love 3 and 4 way matches, but I hate when they are used for lazy booking. IMO, they should only be used for vacant titles, not for title defenses.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 AM

No way in hell Asuka loses. Her victory is the lockiest lock to ever lock.

I would put a Nakamura win just a hair under that too. I wouldn't doubt at all that Joe makes his debut in the Rumble and goes away, which means they still need their star to remain in NXT. Roode is good, but he can't carry the company like Nakamura can.

I counted the announced rumble entrants this morning and I'm pretty sure I ended at 22. which leaves 8 open spots. One for Joe and one for (hopefully) Tye, which leaves 6 surprises.

Who do we think the surprises are? Trips? Kenny Omega? Broken Matt? Cm Punk?
Old 01-26-2017, 10:07 AM

I dunno, I'm actually kind of happy that the winners of the matches aren't blatantly obvious.

Unless they're calling up Shinsuke, I don't see him losing. I think the loser ends up in the Royal Rumble.

DIY/Authors of Pain. Hard to say. The AoP are still a bit green and injuring people. I'd like to see DIY win a hard fought match then continue the internet darling faces vs. Monster team feud for a bit.

4-Way. As I said elsewhere, Nikki Cross wins and Asuka shows up at the Royal Rumble to lay waste to the winner of either the Raw or Smackdown women's champ after that match. Pufferfish takes the pin.

EY - Tye. Please let this be Dillinger's time. EY can get his heat back when all of Sanity comes out for the post-match beat down.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:58 PM

Royal Rumble predictions, guaranteed to be at least half right. Or half-assed at any rate.

Kevin Owens (c) vs. Roman Reigns - Paul Ellering dropped a chain from the cage in NXT, so of course Jericho will do something similar. Since RR lost the US title, he'll get the heroic comeback script and win the Universal Title.

AJ Styles (c) vs. John Cena - Will they have two polarizing figures win the respective world belts? Those who think balance matters would say no. I'm thinking that having combined rosters allows Gallows & Anderson to do a run-in on AJ's behalf, and it would taint AJ's win enough to build towards a WM showdown. There's still the Break Flair's streak tease, but I'm thinking it would be more monumental at WM, so AJ wins this one.

Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Bayley - As I speculated before, Asuka loses the NXT belt without actually losing the match so she can ascend to the main roster and be Charlotte's next threat. Charlotte wins.

Rich Swann (c) vs. Neville - Neville is the Devil. Swann takes a dive and the CW belt takes another shuffle.

Becky Lynch, Nikki Bella, Naomi vs. Alexa Bliss, Mickie James, Natalya - this match will last 2 minutes and Becky will get pinned.

Cesaro & Sheamus (c) vs. Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson - We keep expecting G&A to win the belts and they never do. They've been winning the singles matches on TV, so that means they'll lose the PPV match. CeSheamus retains because faces never lose on kickoff shows.

Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax - Sasha gets the underdog victory because same reason as above.

Who will fill the remaining 8 RR spots? Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe for sure. I think Kenny Omega would somehow steal SJ's heat, so not just yet. James Ellsworth will appear for comic relief. Kane will be there. He's always there. Big Cass is listed, but Enzo isn't, so he'll get a big surprise pop then get thrown right back out. Finn Balor, returning from injury hopefully. Erick Rowan also returns from injury, but Curtis Axle gets his revenge from two years ago and takes his place. That leaves one spot, so I'll say Tye Dillinger. Not as a permanent call-up just yet, but to test the waters.

As for RR itself, I'll stay with my earlier prediction that Sami Zayn will eliminate Brawny Strongman, after the behemoth eliminates Big Show. RKOrton will eliminate Bray, because everybody knows it was his master plan all along to dissemble the Wyatts. Goldberg and Brock will co-eliminate each other so they can finalize their feud at WM. Biggest name left is the Undertaker, who's never won a RR iirc, so why not? UT wins the RR and takes on the RAM champ at WM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:57 PM

Closet pro wrestling fan, but have not watched regularly in years. Have no idea what is going on currently, other than when news of a wrestler's death goes mainstream, although I do know some names/characters from dipping in and out over the years.

Child of the '80s and '90s who snuck in viewings and readings of "WWF Magazine" when and where I could. Watched "Raw" weekly in the summer of 1996 through 'til the end of 1999, and then again around 2003-2006.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:39 PM

Welcome to the thread sms339. You could try out the WWE Network and catch up. It's free for the first month, just like drugs.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Welcome to the thread sms339. You could try out the WWE Network and catch up. It's free for the first month, just like drugs.
I would wait and make sure your 30 day free trial includes Wrestlemania. Episodes of Smackdown, Raw, and NXT are available on HuluPlus, if you have that.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. Busy lately, but yes, I should get back into wrestling when I get some spare time.

My friend brought me some sweet 1980's WWF action figures (Million Dollar Man, Big Boss Man and Jake "The Snake") a few months ago.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:38 AM

I consider the network worthwhile just for NXT alone. There's other programs that are nice for nostalgia value, like Legends with JBL, Dinner for Three, and Stories From the Road.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 AM

Yay new blood!

Let's bury him at first, but then eventually let the rest of the board get behind him so that we can reluctantly make him our champ
Old 01-27-2017, 08:19 AM

Can anyone here give me an explanation as to why RAW is booked for 3 hours, yet always takes an extra 15-20 minutes longer every. single. week. Yet, on the other hand, Smackdown is booked at 2 hours and ends on time every week?

I'm assuming their contract allows them to take the extra time whenever they want to, but they literally always do it for RAW and literally never do it for Smackdown. Is it a Mon/Tues thing? Does USA just not care? Is it strategic?
Old 01-27-2017, 09:08 AM

They've had an agreement for a very long time that RAW does an 8-12 minute overrun every week. They don't have the same for any other show.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Yay new blood!

Let's bury him at first, but then eventually let the rest of the board get behind him so that we can reluctantly make him our champ
If this is referring to me; thank you.
But I'd be the WOMEN'S champ.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:56 PM

For you then, Sasha Banks vs Bayley at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn in August 2015
Old 01-28-2017, 04:35 PM

RoH/NJPW picked up another NXT dropout. CJ Parker is now Juice Robinson. Still has the dreadlocks, but shaved the sides of his head and is now a club dancer instead of environmental activist. He lost to the Villain Marty Scurl first time out.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
For you then, Sasha Banks vs Bayley at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn in August 2015
Not just one of the best women's matches, one of the best matches, PERIOD, that I've ever seen.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:34 PM

Yup, pretty much why I linked it. If you're getting back into the product or wondering if you should, that is an example of the best you'll find out there with the WWE product.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:35 PM

Peyton and Pufferfish screwed up. Once they had Nikki and Asuka laid out, they should have run back into the ring and had Peyton pin Pufferfish to win the title.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 PM

Dayum, this NXT special has blown me away.

Tye vs SAnitY is going to be a good feud. That's the best I think I've seen Tye perform. He's callup quality now.

I thought Strong vs Dorado stole the show, but DIY vs AoP stole it back. I forgot how good Paul Ellering was at delivering creepy promos. He was the menacing genius behind the Road Warriors as well, and AoP look every bit as badass. Ciampa looked scary mean like his days in RoH, and Gargano is a ring genius.

Totally did not expect Seth Rollins to make an appearance.

Nikki Cross is more Dean Ambrose than Dean Ambrose. She's my new ex-wife. How could I for one second doubt Asuka? She will lose never.

Time for teh Gloriousness.

Last edited by Knowed Out; 01-28-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:36 PM

Dang, didn't expect Bobby Roode to win. So much for ex-TNA stars getting shafted. Guess this means Nakamura will stay around to feud for a few months at least.

I was thinking before maybe HHH would be in the Rumble tomorrow and Seth would use that moment to seek revenge, but they had it happen tonight. Aitch could still do a run-in for KO vs RR, and get thwarted by Seth. Cue soap opera organ.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Well, four out of five on my match predictions ain't bad. The main event was one of the best in terms of storytelling and execution that I've ever seen.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:53 AM

The Royal Rumble promo video during the Takeover pre-show had some interesting names on it. I'll spoiler it just in case...

SPOILER:
Zack Sabre Jr. and Sting

I'd like to see the first one but I have reservations about the second one. There is a built in storyline if booked right but I don't see that happening.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:06 PM

He hee AWESOME match between KO & RR. Lots of destruction of props and real estate. I love the way KO mocks RR, especially the Fist To the Ground with brass knucks. That Frog Splash was so lithe and graceful, like a ballerina jump. BWAHAHAHA!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

...So, Enzo Amore is definitely fucking that plate of chicken, right?